Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

feature request Can Glitch genre be added?

Cyangust

I mainly produce glitch hop/glitch music and I do not see it on the genre list.  Could this be added?  I think glitch is a fairly popular genre and would benefit many music producers.  Thanks in advance!

You know, I keep seeing requests for niche genre classifications on Pony.fm, and I just really can't get behind them, because there's really no evidence for the case of that sub-genre being popular enough among brony musicians on Pony.fm to merit it (at least, as long as uploaded tracks are restricted to a single genre definition).

Imagine if someone popped in here asking for Pony.fm to add crust punk or goregrind genres to the list. What few tracks done in those genres could simply go under the ska/punk or metal genre classifications. Most of my music falls under a sub-genre called metalcore, and simply classifying it as "metal" works fine. Glitch-hop and broadly-defined "glitch" music could just as easily fall under hip-hop or experimental here on Pony.fm.

In the absence of a multi-genre tagging system akin to SoundCloud's, there should really be some system in place to determine whether or not classification of a sub-genre is popular enough among various brony musicians that use the site to actually be necessary, or if classification of those tracks under a larger umbrella genre would suffice. Maybe a petition system here on the forums involving brony musicians that do music in that specific sub-genre could work to that end.

Edited by DusK
  • Brohoof 1

You know, I keep seeing requests for niche genre classifications on Pony.fm, and I just really can't get behind them, because there's really no evidence for the case of that sub-genre being popular enough among brony musicians on Pony.fm to merit it (at least, as long as uploaded tracks are restricted to a single genre definition).

Imagine if someone popped in here asking for Pony.fm to add crust punk or goregrind genres to the list. What few tracks done in those genres could simply go under the ska/punk or metal genre classifications. Most of my music falls under a sub-genre called metalcore, and simply classifying it as "metal" works fine. Glitch-hop and broadly-defined "glitch" music could just as easily fall under hip-hop or experimental here on Pony.fm.

In the absence of a multi-genre tagging system akin to SoundCloud's, there should really be some system in place to determine whether or not classification of a sub-genre is popular enough among various brony musicians that use the site to actually be necessary, or if classification of those tracks under a larger umbrella genre would suffice. Maybe a petition system here on the forums involving brony musicians that do music in that specific sub-genre could work to that end.

True, though I think that kind of voting system will work better once we have a larger userbase.