Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rinkitty

I will never understand it, perhaps it has to do with their adoration of a specific character? Either way, I do prefer when people have creative usernames, rather than copy paste ones such as RainbowD@$h1928371.

I think the reason people did it initially was to be the first, so that they could represent that character in a way. It could also have meant staking a claim to that character. 

I mean come on, who among us wouldn't want the user names Darth Vader, Master Chief or Batman?

Now, I agree to what she say's about usernames but, I think people (not to be rude) should use their pony names as their usernames so, look at what you are good at and what you represent. (for example) I am and represent acceptance (equality) (That's how Equin popped in) I am Cristian (Star)-(Jerusalem star) I always keep beat (beat).

You have seen it. It's all over the internet, and especially common here. I'm talking about people who use canon pony names, or other fictional character's names as their online pseudonym. I've seen countless Rainbow Dashes, Rarities, Pinkie Pies, et cetera, et cetera, and honestly, it's a little jarring. Confusing, to say the least.

Now my question is, why? You have a brain that is capable of wondrous things. You can use the power of imagination to come up with a unique, and meaningful username that speaks to you. You can combine words together and make a clever username. You can be silly, and have a comical username. So why take the incredibly dull, easy, unoriginal route and use a fictional character's name as your pseudonym? It's almost a waste of opportunity, if I do say so myself.

Now, I don't have anything against the Pseudoponies here, but I just think it's rather silly that people can't think outside the box, and express their artistic values when choosing usernames. It's no doubt hard to take them seriously sometimes, especially when they roleplay as the character with every post they make... *shudders*

Now those are just my briskly worded opinions. What are your views on the subject?

Well, yep.

Why don't you pick stuff that represents yourself? For exemple mine: Ghost: The kids used to call me "ghost" because of my pale skin, and "pony" because of muscle cars. (750 for whatever reason)

Or I have another name in my box, Empty Moon. It comes from my pronounciation of Mt.Moon, in pokemon. Be original. tongue.png

~If you want to take Empty Moon, it's fine, but just tell me.

Here's a perspective from someone who used a Mane 6 name for a few months. I do believe that those who use canon names forgo the opportunity to make a personalized name for themselves. So why make one? Easy. It's a great way to express your fondness for a certain character. For me, that was one of the biggest factors in deciding to use a canon username. 

Speaking of my experience in using a canon name, (quick) story time! A few months ago, I originally created a fake version of the name on a whim. I managed to catch the attention of an admin, who offered to let me use the canon name. Needless to say, it was quite difficult to refuse such an offer, especially being the avid Twilight Sparkle fan that I was. After playing around with the name for a bit, I went back to Aquila (that's Latin for Eagle, and based on the standard of a Roman legion and the constellation) on my one-year MLPF anniversary. 

Gosh I hope Twilight Sparkle the mod doesn't find this thread *hides*

:V 

• Brohoof 2

I did dip into my love of anime for my user name, but I think sticking my own name smack in the middle makes it unique enough to "pass muster, mister". (I have no idea where I'm remembering that line from!) I've been cuteycindyhoney from day one on this forum, and for YEARS on several others. I never change my avatar picture either. I scanned it myself off of a box of Kim Possible Valentine cards.

Even though my name is "SmartyPants", I didn't name myself after the doll. There is a story behind it. I had another name on another forum years ago and I decided to change it. It was a bit vulgar, so I decided to change the name to something of the same meaning, but less vulgar. So, I thought of the name "SmartyPants". It took me a while after I changed it to realize that was the name of Twilight's doll. I did not feel like changing it again, so I stuck with this name.

Edited by SmartyPants

I don't pay attention to the Mane 6 usernames, because there are a lot of them. Anyway, when I first joined I wanted to use a Mane 6 username but I chose not to.

Same here. There's literally so many, that I kinda avoid them, as they're hard to differentiate.

It's not in a mean way. It's just easier to tell people apart when they have unique usernames.

• Brohoof 1

Same here. There's literally so many, that I kinda avoid them, as they're hard to differentiate.

It's not in a mean way. It's just easier to tell people apart when they have unique usernames.

I totally agree with you. Pretty hard to tell them apart, unless there is some diversity when it comes to their usernames. Not in a mean way, of course.

Changing usernames over and over just makes it even more confusing. It'd be best to stick with a username for a while, and only change it if necessary, not solely for teh lulz.

Just my view, though. It's not a big deal ,really.

And at least you have an asterisk next to your name. That makes it artsy derpy_emoticon2.png

Pretty much this, i myself was lucky enough to come up with the original name "little gamie" when i was like 12 or 11. At 15 i can say i'm not creative and love the name to this day. 

• Brohoof 1

True bronies know they should not simply copy the names of the ponies.. unless you know, the ponies do post on this forum and we just don't know it!! blink.png

Bronies are just people who don't seem to fit in anywhere else, and pick the title of "brony" so that they feel content. Or they just like the show.

And that's an interesting theory. I don't buy it, but it's interesting nonetheless.

• Brohoof 1

Bronies are just people who don't seem to fit in anywhere else, and pick the title of "brony" so that they feel content. Or they just like the show.

And that's an interesting theory. I don't buy it, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Lol yea definitely, that's probably mostly true.

In all seriousness, I think it's kinda unoriginal to simply use a name of a main character in the sense of RainbowDash22222222222.. but each to his/her own. But it must be pretty cool to be the person to have Twilight Sparkle or Applejack as his/her username, since you can't use a name someone else already has.