Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did anyone notice this in the sky for the past week or 2?

Fireworks

I look at stars a lot, and whenever it's a clear night, I'm almost always out...but did anyone notice a weird star formation that looks like a crooked "Y"?

I'm in the northeast region in the United States, so I see it at the east (slightly northeast) at a 40-50 degree angle.

I've been seeing it for the past week, but have never noticed it before (I have been doing this for years...and I look thoroughly, so it's not something I have just been "missing" for 7 years).

If you are in the northeast, you should see it at a 40-50 degree angle. Face east, and turn to the left at about a 20 degree angle. You should see it. If you are anywhere else, then you will probably see it at some other position, given that you are in the northern hemisphere.

Huh... It's not dark enough here yet to see any stars but I'm gonna go ahead and say it's an obscure marketing campaign for Pokemon X and Y.

See anything in the sky that looks like an X? xJpg51C.png

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

What the people at Ancient Aliens think:

ancient-aliens.jpg

Could you give us a picture of what this "crooked star" looks like? It would be pretty fascinating.

Cloudy for all of tonight, and raining tomorrow, and cloudy for 3 days after that. Damn mother nature, giving us such crap weather all the time.

Edited by Fireworks

I'm in the northeast region in the United States, so I see it at the east (slightly northeast) at a 40-50 degree angle.
I'd assume that you mean New England, but just saying "the northeastern region in the United States" is not clear enough because... well, it can mean New England or New York. Which state is it?

Huh... It's not dark enough here yet to see any stars but I'm gonna go ahead and say it's an obscure marketing campaign for Pokemon X and Y.

See anything in the sky that looks like an X? img-1985254-1-xJpg51C.png

No, see, the Y is made of 3 lines. 3 lines = 3 = Half-Life 3. Valve has moved the stars for a massive ad campaign to signal the coming of Half-Life 3.

• Brohoof 4

Does it look like this (the brighter stars between the trees)? It looks bigger in the image than it is in the sky, though.

post-18121-0-57278100-1383786744_thumb.jpg

Because if so, thats pleadies, an open star cluster. An open star cluster is basically hundreds of stars close together, held together by gravity.

If its not that, then I have another idea of what it might be, but based on what you said, it sounds like the pleadies to me.

• Brohoof 1

I know there is an app for iOS (and I think Android) which is called something like Space View or something.

Point your device at a star, tap on it, and you can see what it is, you can also view constellations.

I used to use it alot, but meh.

I haven't seen this Y shaped formation myself though, sounds interesting - I do very much love the stars and space.

Is it the Perseus constellation? I'm not too sure, but the Perseus constellation looks reasonably like a Y.

If it isn't that, then I honestly don't know. Though I'm interesting in astronomy and chemistry, I don't really observe stars that much...unless you're counting the ones I see from books.

The light pollution at my place makes it near impossible to get a clear view.

Does it look like this (the brighter stars between the trees)? It looks bigger in the image than it is in the sky, though.

Because if so, thats pleadies, an open star cluster. An open star cluster is basically hundreds of stars close together, held together by gravity.

If its not that, then I have another idea of what it might be, but based on what you said, it sounds like the pleadies to me.

This is the pleiades cluster. Hot burning blue stars are primarily within this cluster, I've looked at it a couple of times with my scope. Very pretty formation.

@@Fireworks,

As for the crooked Y, that's difficult to say. There are many different constellations, having said that, the eastern sky, me being in Southwestern Ontario, I have a similar view of the sky to you. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary myself. You could be seeing the constellation Leo, Bootes or possibly Ursa Major.

Edited by Midnight Scribbler

You could be seeing the constellation Leo, Bootes or possibly Ursa Major.

Who let Snips and Snails inside the cave again?!

We all remember what happened last time. Jeez, guys. I thought you were more responsible.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...

A lot of star formations look like crooked Ys :ButtercupLaugh:

I recommend downloading a free program to view the stars, called Stellarium. Then you can view the stars at your local time. in the direction, and you will find out what the stars are.

• Brohoof 2