Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Manehatten

Argumedies

So no ones started talking about this as of yet but what did everyone think about Equestria first big city? (Not counting Maretropolis... cause that wasn't in Equestria)

Now we all know Canterlot was big with its amazing spires and towers, but here were in actual steel, iron and glass structures, who's architecture designs were completely different from anything we've seen before. Even the bridge and harbor scenes were grand.

We only got a shadowed glimpse of it when AJ told the story of her past, but this WELL exceeded, that.

And you know the best part *or worst* about it was that I now have a visual reference for Fallout Equestria, and I can now picture the Balefire bomb destroying it all... BTW am I the only one who pictured the horse head tower as tenpony tower?... probably.

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 3

I thought it was an interesting place; unfortunately, 99% of my attention was directed at Rarity :wub: so I didn't get too good of a look at it.

It pales in comparison to Ponyville; definitely didn't feel as warm and inviting. It was an interesting change of scenery, for sure, but it's one to take in small doses :D

More cold and logical citizens, rather than warm and emotional residents?

I think that's what you mean, right?

Yeah that type of thing as well as a Place like Canterlot has a very magical looking architecture whilst Manehattan has a type of architecture more functional and practical.

Edited by Best Username Ever
  • Brohoof 1

It was nice I suppose. I've never been to NYC so I can't really say anything about the similarities or anything.  I just have a hard time beliving that ponies built those buildings. I mean sure, unicorns could've used magic, but they'd still have to get and build the materials to make the buildings which doesn't really make any sense to me. Plus, you'd probably have to have really powerful magic. I guess you could say the same thing about Canterlot because of the huge castle and everything, but maybe I'm just thinking too deep about this. :huh:

Well to be honest I am not a big fan of the whole "ponies living in a big city" thing. "in the magical land of Equestria" says the first ep. Not that a big city takes away the fact that Equestria is magical, but it just kills the whole view I had of equestria. It's not like something you'd expect from a magical world with colorful ponies. I kinda wished that a bigger city was more like ponyville with more simpler buildings or maybe like the houses in the crystal empire, maybe a little taller to show that it's a big city. But that it looked like a real life city was a bit disappointing for me actually.

I enjoyed it. That's pretty much it.

I've never been to NYC so I can't really say anything about the similarities or anything.

I live in NYC and there was some similarities like the obvious Statue of Liberty, the theater i'm guessing was The Apollo, and another building which was the Chrysler Building.

(edited)

Well to be honest I am not a big fan of the whole "ponies living in a big city" thing. "in the magical land of Equestria" says the first ep. Not that a big city takes away the fact that Equestria is magical, but it just kills the whole view I had of equestria. It's not like something you'd expect from a magical world with colorful ponies. I kinda wished that a bigger city was more like ponyville with more simpler buildings or maybe like the houses in the crystal empire, maybe a little taller to show that it's a big city. But that it looked like a real life city was a bit disappointing for me actually.

I can see your point, but because the city was mentioned in season one, it made it easier for me to understand.

If there had been no other reference to the city, or any of the other cities like Las Pegasus, Baltimare, or Trottingham, then it would have been just another throw away plot device.

I've only been just outside NYC, never actually in it, but I've seen enough pictures to understand the similarities.

Edited by Argumedies

seeing how it looked in CMC when Applejack was there made it look so different, like the 1920's or 30's.
I was actually thinking that's how it would look.

I don't know how old AJ is but that city sure did progress in a seemingly short time frame. :blink:

Anyway, I love that there is a city in Equestria. It made the feel of the show a little more authentic for me (plus I live not far from 3 major cities in the US and love visiting so, I was excited from the start)
It felt like a mini vacation from the norm, which I can appreciate.

It honestly didn't feel busy enough at times. It's the same problem with the DC Animated Universe where you have these big bustling cities but you don't have the budget to make them look more populated than a few citizens here and there on the streets.

But overall, it was pretty cool. I would have liked it more if they tried to distinguish it more from Canterlot in terms of the type of people living there, but it was a nice change of pace nonetheless.

It was interesting to see the differences in transportation. They seem to have technology from several different eras, they still use carriages but seem to have a monorail/subway(Around 16:25 in the episode). It would be interesting to see what some of the other cities mentioned in the lore look like.

What I find fascinating is that modern technology is indeed canon and they choose to use it sparingly. Obviously business is booming in Equestria, or there wouldn't be a need for all of it.... I wonder what rent costs would be in one of those high rise apartments ;)

What I find fascinating is that modern technology is indeed canon and they choose to use it sparingly. Obviously business is booming in Equestria, or there wouldn't be a need for all of it.... I wonder what rent costs would be in one of those high rise apartments ;)

I was going to mention how they have Vinyl's DJ stand but still use typewrites and quills and parchment?

, what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

I always wondered how much a bit is really worth and the value on items, guess i need to do some research on the forums! 

I enjoyed seeing Manehattan and I don't know if we can technically call it a new area, since it was mentioned earlier with Babs Seed being from there, but man is it amazing! I loved seeing the background city ponies that had a New York style accent, I loved the Statue of Liberty pony, I loved the little shops in the city, the cabs, and the cafes, I've been to New York once, but from what I remember I enjoyed being there, I also loved Bridleway aka Broadway, and the Times Square. Hope we see more of Manehattan again.

I think it was a very nice city showing the architecture of Manehatten, the storyboard artists went all out with making the city. I hope to see more of Manehatten again.