Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Inappropriate Posts

Lady Rarity Pony

You have to remember, even though this forums allows people of all ages, it's extremely rare for ppl under the age of 13 to be on mlpforums.

Compared to places like ponychan, this forums is very "clean".

I like the forum the way it is.

• Brohoof 2

You have to remember, even though this forums allows people of all ages, it's extremely rare for ppl under the age of 13 to be on mlpforums.

Compared to places like ponychan, this forums is very "clean".

I like the forum the way it is.

Because a majority of the members are 13 or above doesn't mean we should be inconsiderate of the younger members here.

It's open to all ages and content is suppose to be appropriate for all ages.

The examples I gave would not be appropriate to recommend to a 13 year old anyway.

Don't take this the wrong way but Ponychan's cleanliness is pretty irrelevant. We should not aim for being "cleaner" forums, we should aim for being "clean" forums.

• Brohoof 7

Because a majority of the members are 13 or above doesn't mean we should be inconsiderate of the younger members here.

The examples I gave would not be appropriate to recommend to a 13 year old anyway.

Don't take this the wrong way but Ponychan's cleanliness is pretty irrelevant. We should not aim for being "cleaner" forums, we should aim for being "clean" forums.

LRP has an AMAZING point. We can't be indifferent to the younger users. For all we know we are teaching them words, drugs, and inappropriate crap far too early. Also what's going to happen when a kid under 13 starts swearing and their parents hear it? A member who enjoyed the forums very much could be lost, and we don't want to be responsible for teaching people about things like that.

Yes that is definately going too far. We dont need people here anonymously advertising illegal or legal drugs here and trying to get others into that kind of stuff. People here vary from ages 8 - 30 or maybe older. We do NOT need 10 year olds being started on drugs at such a young age, adn with MLP to blame no less!

Having honest discussion about drugs is something that should not be forbidden, refusing to talk about things has a tendancy to make those things all the more interesting and forbidden. im not saying anyone should be aloud to tell u to take drugs, but a civil discussion on the matter is hardly innapropriate
  • Brohoof 3

I guess but the rest of the forum would still be available for everyone. It would just mean that people could be a bit more free with what they say without having to worry about offending someone.

separating NSFW talk into its own section wouldn't help getting rid of said content, though. all it would do would be strongly ENCOURAGING said content to be posted on the forums, and that content would later on surely leak out into the rest of the forums, causing an influx of NSFW content to be posted here. separation is never the answer, at least never a GOOD one.

everything else i could think of have already been said here: don't curse excessively for no reason, don't post NSFW content on the forums, and report said content whenever it appears.

(edited)

But why should the vast majority of people have to keep it PG just for a few people?

I'm not saying that mlpforums should definitely be kept the way it is, I'm just saying that I want it kept the way it is.

Edited by 3p1cd3m0n

But why should the vast majority of people have to keep it PG just for a few people?

I'm not saying that mlpforums should definitely be kept the way it is, I'm just saying that I want it kept the way it is.

"All-age forums"

the term kinda talks for itself.

"All-age forums"

Well why should this be an all age forum?

I'm not trying to sound stupid, I just want to hear your reasoning.

• Brohoof 1

Having honest discussion about drugs is something that should not be forbidden, refusing to talk about things has a tendancy to make those things all the more interesting and forbidden. im not saying anyone should be aloud to tell u to take drugs, but a civil discussion on the matter is hardly innapropriate

Well it really depends. Talking about drugs and alcohol is not necessarily inappropriate, advocating them is definitely inappropriate...advocating self harm and crimes is WAY past the line.

A discussion being civilized does not really remove the possibility of the discussion being inappropriate.

When you join MLP Forums you agree that you will obey its rules and the rules here are set in a way to keep the forums accessible and appropriate for all ages, be it young or old. A pony forum is far from the best place to have mature conversation, you know. There are plenty of places on the internet that cater to the adult community with all sorts of subjects; this is one place that aims to cater to the younger audience while simultaneously not alienating the adult community by turning it into a playground.

• Brohoof 5

You'll have to talk to our overlord about that

http://mlpforums.com/user/1-feld0/

Feld0 chose to create all age forums, if you want to know why you'll have to ask him about it.

Honestly, I would not go on these forums if inappropriate topics were permitted.

• Brohoof 1

When you join MLP Forums you agree that you will obey its rules and the rules here are set in a way to keep the forums accessible and appropriate for all ages, be it young or old. A pony forum is far from the best place to have mature conversation, you know. There are plenty of places on the internet that cater to the adult community with all sorts of subjects; this is one place that aims to cater to the younger audience while simultaneously not alienating the adult community by turning it into a playground.

TY for the reasoning.

Well it really depends. Talking about drugs and alcohol is not necessarily inappropriate, advocating them is definitely inappropriate...advocating self harm and crimes is WAY past the line.

A discussion being civilized does not really remove the possibility of the discussion being inappropriate.

well this is much too broad of a reply. so your saying if i say that i have commited any crime it would definatly be innapropriate but must i remind you that there are all kinds of innapropriate laws that regulate the people of certain coutry's. Most people on this site have illegaly downloaded a song or a video and people are constantly linking these items. Should they be banned? I personaly have done a drug that is considered illegal and yet i would not reccomend it to a minor because it is up to each indavidual what they do in their life, should i be banned for admitting to doing said drug?

"All-age forums"

All-age = friendly and safe.

I never said that drug discussion in general is a bad thing, but encouraging ILLEGAL drugs and sometimes even suicide and self harm is simply not the kind of environment the people under the category of "ALL AGES" need to be exposed to.

Why should it be all aged?

Because friendship is magic is a show for younger people, so who's to say there aren't younger children on these forums? Thus we want a safe environment.

well this is much too broad of a reply. so your saying if i say that i have commited any crime it would definatly be innapropriate but must i remind you that there are all kinds of innapropriate laws that regulate the people of certain coutry's. Most people on this site have illegaly downloaded a song or a video and people are constantly linking these items. Should they be banned? I personaly have done a drug that is considered illegal and yet i would not reccomend it to a minor because it is up to each indavidual what they do in their life, should i be banned for admitting to doing said drug?

The subject matter in question for LRP's points are situations that were simply unacceptable for one reason or another. We don't care what users do here in their personal time on MLP Forums, but we certainly will not allow other users to advocate things to other users (especially the younger demographic) which may hurt their lives in some way or another, be it physically, with the law, emotionally, etc.

Therefore, subjects such as alcohol and drugs, which are not inherently disallowed on the forums, will always run the risk of being advocations if not handled just so. In the case which LRP made this thread for, the conversation was civil but the ultimate underlying tones of many posts were either "I hate drugs and those that do them" or "You should all try it and then you'd understand" kinds of things.

As for advising a member to physically harm themselves, that is absolutely and utterly unacceptable. This is simply a very rude thing to tell to another member, especially one who is in an emotional turmoil.

• Brohoof 4

Illegally downloading things does not harm one's health. It's a completely different beast than talking about drugs. By talking about drugs and alcohol in a positive manner, you are encouraging impressionable younger users to take harmful substances that could harm their bodies and growth.

Certainly, I believe they can be discussed. Or mentioned a few times. It is only when you talk about the drugs in a positive manner, or encourage/endorse them, that we have a problem.

• Brohoof 1

The subject matter in question for LRP's points are situations that were simply unacceptable for one reason or another. We don't care what users do here in their personal time on MLP Forums, but we certainly will not allow other users to advocate things to other users (especially the younger demographic) which may hurt their lives in some way or another, be it physically, with the law, emotionally, etc.

Therefore, subjects such as alcohol and drugs, which are not inherently disallowed on the forums, will always run the risk of being advocations if not handled just so. In the case which LRP made this thread for, the conversation was civil but the ultimate underlying tones of many posts were either "I hate drugs and those that do them" or "You should all try it and then you'd understand" kinds of things.

As for advising a member to physically harm themselves, that is absolutely and utterly unacceptable. This is simply a very rude thing to tell to another member, especially one who is in an emotional turmoil.

i wouldnt reccomend self harm to anyone i dont know why people keep saying that

i wouldnt reccomend self harm to anyone i dont know why people keep saying that

The points being put forward to you are not those necessarily against you as an individual. These are simply things we have seen before on the forums and the reasoning behind what LRP is ultimately worried about.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

There is a difference between mentioning that you took an illegal drugs and going around advocating people to take illegal drugs.

Generally speaking, drug talk is taboo. If you post it publicly you must keep in mind that younger people go on these forums, and they may stumble on your post.

Ultimately if you want to have a drug related topic, nothing in the rules outlaws it. If the mods find it inappropriate then they will deal with it.

As far as I know, this site is run from Canada and the site is run on American servers. As far as the Canadian and American drug laws go, there are plenty of illegal substances.

You're referring to piracy. Advocating piracy is not appropriate either, if you see someone doing it then you should probably place a report on it. I have seen plenty of posts removed for advocating piracy. Some countries aren't as strict with the piracy laws, but people from those countries still are not allowed to advocate piracy here.

Also, you seem to be throwing hypothetical situations on me, the examples I gave actually happened.

Edited by Lady Rarity Pony
  • Brohoof 1

Illegally downloading things does not harm one's health. It's a completely different beast than talking about drugs. By talking about drugs and alcohol in a positive manner, you are encouraging impressionable younger users to take harmful substances that could harm their bodies and growth.

Certainly, I believe they can be discussed. Or mentioned a few times. It is only when you talk about the drugs in a positive manner, or encourage/endorse them, that we have a problem.

But it is a crime, i was making a point about what LRP said i never put them on the same level of criminality although while on the topic, illegaly d'ling stuff is verry harmfull to the entertainment industry it may not affect health but it is a crime and it does have very serious consequinses

There is a difference between mentioning that you took an illegal drugs and going around advocating people to take illegal drugs.

Generally speaking, drug talk is taboo. If you post it publicly you must keep in mind that younger people go on these forums, and they may stumble on your post.

Ultimately if you want to have a drug related topic, nothing in the rules outlaws it. If the mods find it inappropriate then they will deal with it.

As far as I know, this site is run from Canada and the site is run on American servers. As far as the Canadian and American drug laws go, there are plenty of illegal substances.

You're referring to piracy. Advocating piracy is not appropriate either, if you see someone doing it then you should probably place a report on it. I have seen plenty of posts removed for advocating piracy. Some countries aren't as strict with the piracy laws, but people from those countries still are not allowed to advocate piracy here.

Also, you seem to be throwing hypothetical situations on me, the examples I gave actually happened.

Your questions may be better directed at a mod or admin.

im not here to call you personally out i was just saying that it seemed like a lot of people in the thread are EXTREMELY against these topics and im just saying that i think as long as no one is advocating bad behaviours the topics should be allwoed. if MODS see someone encouraging suicide, drug use, piracy, or other such crimes it would be acceptable to ban said person

But it is a crime, i was making a point about what LRP said i never put them on the same level of criminality although while on the topic, illegaly d'ling stuff is verry harmfull to the entertainment industry it may not affect health but it is a crime and it does have very serious consequinses

Arylett's response was not one stating that piracy was something we are okay with; rather, she was simply making a point that it is unrelated to the original topic's overall concerns, which is that younger users may be influenced in ways that affect them negatively on a personal level.

• Brohoof 2

im not here to call you personally out i was just saying that it seemed like a lot of people in the thread are EXTREMELY against these topics and im just saying that i think as long as no one is advocating bad behaviours the topics should be allwoed. if MODS see someone encouraging suicide, drug use, piracy, or other such crimes it would be acceptable to ban said person

The kind of action taken against those who post such things would depend on the severity of the offense.

There's no "yes they will be banned" or "no they won't be banned" answer. It's up to what the mods decide.

• Brohoof 1

The kind of action taken against those who post such things would depend on the severity of the offense.

There's no "yes they will be banned" or "no they won't be banned" answer. It's up to what the mods decide.

I agree with that although i think ( not that its my job to but, ) that anyone who is telling kids to kill themselves or do extremely dangerous acts should be insta banned

Nico already said this for me, but basically, downloading things illegally is besides the point and unrelated. However, I will say that I don't believe that outwardly posting links to piracy sources is allowed on the forums.

For your second concern, we've already gone over this. You can talk about it, but you can't encourage it or put it in an overtly positive light. That's it. Nobody's getting banned just for mentioning drugs, and nobody ever mentioned such in this topic.

• Brohoof 1