Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's your views on head-canon?

TheMarkz0ne

I will give an example. It's canon that's....not canon. It's fan material were you expand on a premise. Here's Chrysalis/changeling head-canon....

Chrysalis has the following abilities

-She can possess an individual via telepathy and control them like a robot 

-She can alter memories and replace them with another memory

-hive mind, changelings simply don't rebel

-changelings in head-canon are more competent as espionage than in the show

-changelings can turn ponies into changelings, via pods 

-Chrysalis can take away abilities 

-In the IBW comics, Chrysalis can drain raw magic abilities alone.

I'm using the first IBW comic arc,

http://askchrysalis.tumblr.com/

http://shapeless-sun.tumblr.com/

I love headcanon! :D

I used to have a really good headcanon about both RD and Rarity, but the Rarity one was actually kinda implied to be true later on (Came from a sloppy, working class family) and RD's is a pretty good possibility after seeing her house in Daring Don't (Born into an extremely wealthy family) but still a long shot :D

I've yet to work out head canons for the rest of the mane 6, but I've got some good background character ones I tie into the show as I watch it :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

@StormwingThePony

Sure! It is the Ao Oni. An evil entity that consumes the souls of its victims and turns them into Onis themselves.

The main enemy in the Horror RPG Ao Oni.

Edited by DolosusDoleus

Head canon is a fun. I like speculating so long as speculating doesn't interfere with facts of what goes on in the show itself. When somebody is arguing their fanon is being represented in the show when it's now, it can get real burdensome.

I feel like eventually we're going to want plenty of head canon as the show nears its end (unless it's like Spongebob, but well..it's not that great anymore so..), keeping the show alive but fan-maintained.

An episode of 22 minutes doesn't cover a lot of the characters as an example. Doctor Whooves and Lyra don't get their own episodes, yet there's so much about them created by fans (that I would consider head-canon) so the show isn't just limited to what we actually see in each episode.

I think head canon is good... So long as people recognise it as head canon and, at the end of the day it's not canon unless it's confirmed by the workers on the show who have that authority to say yes that's canon... A good head canon is something that is flexible, since the show is still producing new material, some head canon or even just parts of some can be proved wrong, and I think it's important that the head canon creators don't see this as a bad thing... But an opportunity to expand and adjust their head canon to fit with the canon in the show...

WHAT am I rambling on about?

• Brohoof 1

I am always a little bit worried about headcanon. You never know when a perfectly placed evil episode might show up, destroying it. For example I do belive that Gildedale is west of Equestria. (I don't know if that's show canon though.) So if the show would mention a different country/kingdom I would feel destroyed. We have already seen quite a lot of Equestria. Who knows if they're planning a journey outside of it's border.

I actually don't have much MLP head canon. I have head canon for a lot of my other shows (surprisingly often they're pretty accurate too) but I can't do headcanon for MLP. Just can't do it.

I like head canons in theory, but I think people get way too attached to them.  Making a head canon is fine and frankly I think it's weird if you don't fill in little blank spots in a character with something.  But on the other hand, when you start yelling at a show cause they did something that ruined your head canon, you might want to reevaluate whether you're a fan of the show, or just interested in rewriting the show.

I think they are a very crucial part of driving fan content. Because the show leaves a number of things up to interpretation, just screaming "fill in the blank." Until the show tells us otherwise, aspects of the MLP world and it's characters need to be filled in with our own creativity in order to flesh it out, make it feel even more real.  It's almost like working around the established facts of the show by expanding upon what hasn't been stated. 

Oh, headcanons.

Headcanons.

Headcanons.

Make no mistake, I have a few headcanons of my own. Pinkie Pie's happiness comes from internal sorrow, Rainbow became brash and self-confident because she had to be the best in order to protect Fluttershy from bullies before even her backstory shows, Rarity grew up distant from her lenient parents which lead to her glamorous personality... and that's just a couple from one fandom.

I appreciate headcanons because they offer an interesting and unique look into a media where the original medium chose not to elaborate or simply explaining a minor detail, or even overwriting a pre-developed one in order to make more sense. Headcanons offer all new perspectives on pre-developed ideas and I absolutely adore and support it.

Keep making headcanons, everypony~!

Note: The following opinions of SomariFeyWright do not apply to headcanons that follow the basic thought process of "Everything was a dream. The main character is just in a drug-induced coma" or the like.

• 7 years later...
On 2014-01-22 at 2:09 AM, Denim&Venöm said:

I think they are a very crucial part of driving fan content. Because the show leaves a number of things up to interpretation, just screaming "fill in the blank." Until the show tells us otherwise, aspects of the MLP world and it's characters need to be filled in with our own creativity in order to flesh it out, make it feel even more real.  It's almost like working around the established facts of the show by expanding upon what hasn't been stated. 

Exactly.

• Brohoof 1