Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpy talking and not offending anyone is possible

ManaMinori

Since Derpy officially reappeared in "Rainbow Falls", there have been Bronies (such as myself) who were elated, and satisfied with her making a a return in recent episodes, at long last, while some, i'm sure, were a little less enthusiastic about her not- and likely never will- having a speaking role from then on, so as not to offend anyone; especially since it wou;d've been a no-win situation had she been given her original voice back, which some Bronies liked but offense by iTunes and soccer momes was taken toward it, much like the fandom wouldn't be satisfied had Derpy's edited voice been given to her. However, I think that there is a way, albeit old-fashioned, that would allow Derpy to talk, and that's only through a silent movie (or...episode). (I said talk, not speak).  And seeing as how I can't see a full silent 20-ish minute kids' cartoon working sucessfully, I'm thinking that something of this nature could be done best as a shpinoff short that-if the creators saw potential to give Derpy even more spotlight of her own- could be aired after the main MLP series. What does everyone think of this?

Or even have her hold up random flash cards with what she wants to say... Kinda like in looney tunes... There are other ways she can communicate without being verbal... However I think the only thing that would satisfy her fans is a verbal role...

They could make Derpy a mute. I could easily see them giving her more spotlight and maybe even a name, but they could either make it where she is a mute and can't speak or make it were she is interrupted every time she tries. 

• Brohoof 2

They could make Derpy a mute. I could easily see them giving her more spotlight and maybe even a name, but they could either make it where she is a mute and can't speak or make it were she is interrupted every time she tries. 

I thought about her being a mute, but would going down that path really make sense, when both in the edited and unedited episodes of "The last Roundup", she was shown talking? It would only make sense to make her mute if the writers decided to give Derpy the mindset to to become that way, herself, rather than adding another disability she was born with to the list.

Personally, out of the options you gave, I think having her interrupted when she opens her mouth to say something, would be the better route to take. Kind of like how Granny Smith does to Big Mac in "Apple to the Core", to prevent him from forming full sentences. But, with Derpy, it'd be more extreme- like somepony interrupts before she can even get a single word out. Ideally, it could be somepony who's written in to know Derpy well enough to predict what she's going to say before she says it, or a unicorn who has a talent in reading minds, and basically speaks to other ponies for her.

derpy should be allowed to stay as she was originally, this show teaches that we should love and tolerate people, FOR WHO THEY ARE, not who we want them to be, i take offence that because she has a disability she is "bad" or not good enough, since when did we become nazis? we cant judge people or ponys, after all, noones perfect, so stop trying

• Brohoof 2

What the show teaches kids: "love and tolerate all people no matter their intelligence, race, creed, or general background."

What soccer moms teach their kids: "stupid people shouldn't exist and are a disgrace to society. If a retard does exist he/she should be taken somewhere and made smart."

Seriously though, it's ignorance like this I hear a lot in America that makes me sad because I have to put up with it. These particular species of moms have attacked Power Rangers, TMNT, and much more including Captain Crunch cereal. This is why I was glad to have Derpy back, to show that this particular ignorance will not be tolerated anymore by Hasbro and The Hub as a whole.

• Brohoof 3

derpy should be allowed to stay as she was originally, this show teaches that we should love and tolerate people, FOR WHO THEY ARE, not who we want them to be, i take offence that because she has a disability she is "bad" or not good enough, since when did we become nazis? we cant judge people or ponys, after all, noones perfect, so stop trying

It's not so much a lesson on love and tolerance that could be taught from keeping Derpy as she originally was; derped eyes, derped boy voice, and all. It's more along the lines of "accepting everypony, no matter what differences you think they have, and everypony being unique because of said differences". And I wholeheartedly agree that she should've been allowed to stay herself, regardless of who had issues with her character. Not only is the 'accepting differences' issue one that needs to be taught and practiced by everyone who's so quick to judge Derpy for who she is and what she represented- or what they think she represented- , but there's a lot of worse things to take offense to in the show, if they wanted to really nitpick.

It's not so much a lesson on love and tolerance that could be taught from keeping Derpy as she originally was; derped eyes, derped boy voice, and all. It's more along the lines of "accepting everypony, no matter what differences you think they have, and everypony being unique because of said differences". And I wholeheartedly agree that she should've been allowed to stay herself, regardless of who had issues with her character. Not only is the 'accepting differences' issue one that needs to be taught and practiced by everyone who's so quick to judge Derpy for who she is and what she represented- or what they think she represented- , but there's a lot of worse things to take offense to in the show, if they wanted to really nitpick.

i meant the show itself teaches love and tolerance but yes, your right, there are worse, i mean kidnapping, attempted murder, genocide, shall i continue?

Derpy should remain exactly how she is, a character who is thrown in for cameos or making background appearances doing eccentric and amusing things. I mean, popping up out of wells and mysteriously appearing in snow globes is quite whimsical enough for me. There is no need for her to be more than that. I get enough annoyance out of Big Mac never being allowed to speak... to do the same with Derpy would be (pardon the phrase) beating a dead horse. Let her stay as an easter egg for eagle eyed fans, I say.

• Brohoof 4

Derpy has great potential, that is, if any of those annoying soccer moms don't get in the way. I really find it hard to believe that Derpy is considered offensive. In our society, there are many people who have a disorder, whether physical or mental. As I said before, just because this is shown in a cartoon, doesn't mean it's offensive. It makes a connection to our own society, which is why I enjoy Friendship is Magic. Oh sure, I love how the writers put Derpy as an easter egg, but maybe have her say only a few words wouldn't hurt at all. 

• Brohoof 1

Derpy has great potential, that is, if any of those annoying soccer moms don't get in the way. I really find it hard to believe that Derpy is considered offensive. In our society, there are many people who have a disorder, whether physical or mental. As I said before, just because this is shown in a cartoon, doesn't mean it's offensive. It makes a connection to our own society, which is why I enjoy Friendship is Magic. Oh sure, I love how the writers put Derpy as an easter egg, but maybe have her say only a few words wouldn't hurt at all. 

Actually, there was a video from the writers claiming that the one who suggested that Derpy be changed (before people COULD take offense to her) was iTunes, apparently.

I don't know hoe true it is, of if the staff are actually just blaming iTunes for it, so as not to further upset any soccer moms, if there were any- and prevent them from giving Hasbro money.

But either way, you're right. There was nothing offensive about Derpy from the Get-go, and goofy, accident prone charactes have been in childrens' cartoons for generations.

Let's just keep her as an easter egg, her antics in the background are amusing and you would have to be able to spot her in the background doing something funny. So, there are my two cents on the matter. Leave her as she is.

Actually, there was a video from the writers claiming that the one who suggested that Derpy be changed (before people COULD take offense to her) was iTunes, apparently.

I don't know hoe true it is, of if the staff are actually just blaming iTunes for it, so as not to further upset any soccer moms, if there were any- and prevent them from giving Hasbro money.

But either way, you're right. There was nothing offensive about Derpy from the Get-go, and goofy, accident prone charactes have been in childrens' cartoons for generations.

Yes, you're right about everything. Derpy is that "goofy character" and there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. It makes me laugh about how sensitive people are about certain things. 

It's very possible and here's how: Just don't let Tabitha voice her like a retard stereotype.

But most do seem to prefer a mute Derpy anyway so...Really, why bother?

And FYI, talk and speak mean the same thing...

Let's just keep her as an easter egg, her antics in the background are amusing and you would have to be able to spot her in the background doing something funny. So, there are my two cents on the matter. Leave her as she is.

While shoving her back into the background would probably be better to avoid any kind of controversy, i think you're wrong in saying that background Derpy was any kind of comedic relief. Whenever she was spotted in the background, it was usually amongst a crowd of other background ponies; all of whom are always standing around doing basically nothing and offerring no comedic relief as you claim.

While shoving her back into the background would probably be better to avoid any kind of controversy, i think you're wrong in saying that background Derpy was any kind of comedic relief. Whenever she was spotted in the background, it was usually amongst a crowd of other background ponies; all of whom are always standing around doing basically nothing and offerring no comedic relief as you claim.

There are times where she is funny in the background, so what's the problem?

Honestly, I don't care. Derpy is a background pony who wouldn't even be talking in the first place if not for the large amount of fans she has. I wish some people would be thankful enough that she already had plenty of screentime for a background pony and wouldn't flip over her not speaking for every second of an episode. I will repeat for emphasis: Derpy Hooves is a background pony, not a martyr of tolerance/disability acceptance.

• Brohoof 2

What the show teaches kids: "love and tolerate all people no matter their intelligence, race, creed, or general background."

What soccer moms teach their kids: "stupid people shouldn't exist and are a disgrace to society. If a retard does exist he/she should be taken somewhere and made smart."

Seriously though, it's ignorance like this I hear a lot in America that makes me sad because I have to put up with it. These particular species of moms have attacked Power Rangers, TMNT, and much more including Captain Crunch cereal. This is why I was glad to have Derpy back, to show that this particular ignorance will not be tolerated anymore by Hasbro and The Hub as a whole.

Heck, a lot of uptight grownups all together. Like a certain high & mighty, holier-than-thou cable news network--that far, far too many people listen to and believe--that goes after everyone who doesn't act or think a certain way and is pretty much our sworn enemy...

Edited by Jangobadass

Heck, a lot of uptight grownups all together. Like a certain high & mighty, holier-than-thou cable news network that goes after everyone who doesn't act a certain way and is pretty much our sworn enemy...

So, Fox News in a nutshell? :D seriously though, they grind into everyone who doesn't agree with their propagandist right side beliefs (Bronies, video games, gun control, and a bunch of other stuff that if I listed we'd be sitting here all day) my dad listens to them all the time on the radio when he's driving me to school. It shocks me how somebody even could consume this exploitative drivel and not see the obvious flaws behind it.

tbf I'd rather not have the original voice, people liked it because that was how she sounded first but Tabitha admitted herself she thought derpy as a boy. It would be like. I mean I'm pretty sure most people would be fine with her edited voice if it was the original voice

As long they keep her eyes i'm fine with anything

• Brohoof 1

As long they keep her eyes i'm fine with anything

Considering that's her gimmick. "Rainbow Falls" showed that the eyes are cool as long as she doesn't talk (or have a name, apparently)

Kinda makes me wonder if they could re-edit "The Last Roundup" to give her the googly eyes back... :huh:

I could see Derpy becoming a reoccurring character, but still blending into the background like she did in Rainbow Falls. I'd rather have our mute, clumsy pony than a speaking one if the voice is edited. She's always been a background easter egg, and I think most bronies would be fine with her staying that way.