Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Wheel of Emotion: Submissiveness

DarkSun493

So, as I was looking at an emotion wheel for ideas for a paper I'm writing, I saw some things that really reminded me of MLP and the fandom. The first that I'll start off with is submissiveness. The word, which is defined as "willingness to obey others", is shown as being derived from fear and splitting off into "insignificant" and "worthless". Now, I know for a fact that many Bronies feel insignificant or worthless just due to social stigma, combined with raging hormones (for some). That's not what I want to look into. Fear is also a big topic, so you don't have to respond directly to that idea.

My question for you is this: have you ever felt, or seen submissiveness within the fandom? If so, how, and to what extent. Now this can be a broad range of things, from creating obsessive fan art or fanfics based on the show, or perhaps a sort of peer pressure that arises from being in such a connected environment. It doesn't seem very unlikely that Bronies have been pressured into "going public", or even buying a piece or merchandise. There was a great picture that I saw, showing how Faust controlled the ponies, who controlled the fans, connected by puppet's strings, resulting in fan art being made. Now, I don't want to say that submissiveness is really evil and denotes a poor personality, but it can reveal weaknesses. What do you think? Has it gone too far? Can it really be that powerful?

What?

Your trying to tell me that the whole brony community is a big setup from Hasbro to trick us into causing worldwide anarchy?

Just kidding.

The brony community raised itself, and supports itself, people make art from the shows because they enjoy it, not out of some wierd command system. 

The only "strings" being pulled here would be that bronies "Love and Tolerate" which is a good thing, and bronies follow it by themselves. So its not really being controlled by anyone else but God ^-^

• Brohoof 2

What's "emotion wheel"? Can we see it too? Is it something similar to a color wheel used by painters?

Or The Writers Wheel used by Skijarama? :lol:

Joking aside The Brony Community is full of ponies from all different walks of life each giving to the fandom in their own special way.

A higher power controlling us I think not., we create because we are inspired not ordered too.

Or The Writers Wheel used by Skijarama?

I still don't know what you're talking about, and Google tells me nothing for these phrases. But I'm still curious what's the "emotion wheel". Can you elaborate some more?

(edited)

I still don't know what you're talking about, and Google tells me nothing for these phrases. But I'm still curious what's the "emotion wheel". Can you elaborate some more?

Basically what he is talking about is a control-dominate type of fandom, where someone is so submissive to a fandom, but doesn't want to be, but the fandom forces him/her to. Its metaphorical.

Edited by TheChosenPony

@@TheChosenPony, I'm not asking about the fandom, its emotions, writing papers etc.

I'm asking particularly about the term "emotion wheel": what is it and is it somehow related to a color wheel used by painters.

@@TheChosenPony, I'm not asking about the fandom, its emotions, writing papers etc.

I'm asking particularly about the term "emotion wheel": what is it and is it somehow related to a color wheel used by painters.

I'd be glad to clarify. This is what I used:post-23671-0-37594300-1393704963_thumb.jpg

It's based on six basic emotions, extended to encompass more words and more ideas. For a writer, this is perfect, as it allows you to think about elements of character and develop it more thoroughly through these emotions. For example, saying that Bob is angry is extremely simply, where you could, instead say that Bob feels insecure, is threatened, or is critical. I was using this to further explore themes in The Great Gatsby in case you were wondering. In relation to a color wheel, it's more in just shape than anything else. There is no "true" opposite to an emotion, as it's almost impossible to feel one, isolated emotion at once. You are really feeling a lot more. It's not based directly on the fandom at all; rather, it just popped into my head. I may be making more of these, so see if you can see some deeper elements of the fandom in that wheel.

• Brohoof 3

I'd be glad to clarify. This is what I used:attachicon.gifWheel of Emotion.jpg

It's based on six basic emotions, extended to encompass more words and more ideas. For a writer, this is perfect, as it allows you to think about elements of character and develop it more thoroughly through these emotions. For example, saying that Bob is angry is extremely simply, where you could, instead say that Bob feels insecure, is threatened, or is critical. I was using this to further explore themes in The Great Gatsby in case you were wondering. In relation to a color wheel, it's more in just shape than anything else. There is no "true" opposite to an emotion, as it's almost impossible to feel one, isolated emotion at once. You are really feeling a lot more. It's not based directly on the fandom at all; rather, it just popped into my head. I may be making more of these, so see if you can see some deeper elements of the fandom in that wheel.

I like to see the fandom being in more of the Happy and surprise part of the wheel, yet it could go deeper, love is a true emotion, it should be there with the core emotions with sub emotions relating compassion, generosity, understandable, willingness and passion. Unless there is a bigger wheel going beyond "loving".

I like to see the fandom being in more of the Happy and surprise part of the wheel, yet it could go deeper, love is a true emotion, it should be there with the core emotions with sub emotions relating compassion, generosity, understandable, willingness and passion. Unless there is a bigger wheel going beyond "loving".

While this is straying from the original topic, that's fine. I consider "love" to be very closely related to friendship. And I don't think that it is a deeper version of "loving". I think of love as a kind of grab bag, if you will, of the above emotions. If you've ever been in love (and I'm not a good source for this, as I haven't really been), you tend to have so many emotions going at once. Just consider any popular TV shows or movies. The guy can easily be intimate, confused, rejected, frustrated, disappointed and depressed all at once. It's a moving target, and I think that a simple graph cannot fully express that emotion. And of course, this wheel cannot possibly encompass all emotions thought of, but it gets the job done, albeit in a somewhat basic manner.