Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Courageous Thunder Dash

LARPing  

10 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever LARPed before

• Yes
    • No

LARPing, or Live Action Roleplaying has been a bit of a trend for the past few years. 

So I ask you people of the forums

Have you LARPed before? If so, what was it like?\

I've LARPed before and it was so much fun. Here's a little deviantart journal entry to summarize it all:

I went to SCarowinds with my friends yersterday and we role-played throughout the park. My friend role-played as his DBZ related character Gozak and I role-played as Steller the Raichu (Names will be role-playing names from this point on). My other friend role-played as Naruto. Every now and then, we transformed into higher levels. After getting scared several times, Gozak transfromed into SSJ3. At around 8:50, the time came for Gozak to transform into Golden Ape and he thrashed about in an open space, until Naruto cut off his tail. Unfortunately, I was injured during that time, but Gozak had a sack of Senzu beans to heal us all. Gozak then became SSJ4. I then finally transformed into The Legendary Eighteen Tailed Golden Winged Ultimate Raichu. It felt unconfortable riding rides in this form, as my wings and tails kept on getting crammed. Gozak had to blast a few zombies, as they were getting in our way. Soon, we headed to the arcade. I did DanceDanceRevolution. Gozak said that my power was 950,000 and rising. He said to not let it go over 1,000,000 or else it would be dangerous. Fortunately I could supress my power, and so could Gozak. But Naruto couldn't, as his power kept rising since he was the Nine Tailed Fox. If Naruto did not release any power, he would explode. After some more rides, it was over. We returned to our normal forms as we departed in seperate ways...

Oh lord, it's been over a decade since I LARPed. I just never found a group that I felt comfortable with.

You mean like dnd? Sure! All the time, that stuff is freakin awesome. Plus, technically speaking, any and every videogame you have ever played is a form of roleplay...

(edited)

I used to LARP A LOT when I was younger. It was "brutal" stuff, tbh. We went out to a privately owned forest, with a custom built castle and all sorts of crazy stuff, picked a faction and received a specific quest from the gamemaster that we had to do.

You had people dressing up as monsters, orcs, knights etc. Some even brought custom made weapons, like crossbows, which for the most part were approved by the gamemaster, since they only fired "non-lethal" arrows.

We were maybe over a 100 people, maybe more (close to 150), fighting each other on a grand scale. It was a lot of fun, but very expensive!

Edited by Guest

@@Royce,

Oh now that's awesome! And expensive...did you spend like $100 on stuff.  

Some of whom I knew spend over a 1000 bucks on equipment, and no i'm not making that up. I spend perhaps a 70-90 bucks on equipment, which included swords and shields.

(edited)

@@Royce,

Oh jeez! You must've took LARPing as if it were a job or something! 

Haha, yeah I guess. Most of the more "mature" players kinda looked like this once you saw them on the "battlefield", and they took it pretty personal when you engaged them.

Trust me, if you want good LARP, come to Europe. All we have here are lots of medieval castles, fortresses and forests.

2011_052.jpg

Edited by Guest

@@Royce,

I'm all the way here in the USA. Once I plan to come there, I will make sure to attend. It looks totally awesome.  

Just remember to bring lots of muneh. These events don't hold back in regards to prices on various things.

(edited)

@@Royce,

I hope it's not out of the roof.  

Usually one ticket is around 135 euroes, which would be a 185 USD.

Edited by Guest

Thunder-Dash, on 06 Mar 2014 - 06:55 AM, said:

@@Fhaolan,

What did you LARP about? Anime?

Nope. Mostly fantasy, true, but not Anime. Did a Mind's Eye Theatre thing with vampires once, wasn't really my scene. Ran around in the woods in costume several times with a bunch of different groups, but those tended to be either *all* about the combat with no roleplaying, or were standing around doing only inter-character drama with no adventure. Just really couldn't find a balance point.

I have never LARPed, but I've wanted to try it. My friends and I used to fight with those wooden construction marks as kids. We used to turn them into swords, paint 'em, all that. It hurt if you got hit with one, but nothing more than a bruise.