The Big Little Secret

Comet Tail

(edited)

Okay, big, because apparently whatever it is incredibly shocking, but little, because it happens in the background over the course of about 2 seconds, in "Luna Eclipsed".

Honestly, I don't think I remember exactly what moment it is, but I think Luna's just run off, and Twilight's just said; "I'll do what I do best... Lecture her!" And runs off after her.

Also, Nightmare Night has just been cancelled forever by Luna.

And this happens in the background:

Posted Image

IIRC, this is after Fluttershy's appeared in the episode, in case you're wondering if it's Fluttershy, but the pony here has different hair, though.

But, it could also just be Fluttershy's hair pulled back to go under the hood.

Anyways, this has just got me wondering... What could be so shocking? The pony on the left was there when Nightmare Night was cancelled, so it can't be that...

Better yet, this shows that the creators actually put enough thought into the show to have two random ponies in the background, one of them hooded, tell the other something shocking. The creator either just threw that in, or had some kind of story in the back of his mind.

It's like we're the bystanders to some epic story going on in the background.

This is driving me nuts. I gotta find out who animated the background ponies for this episode :P

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

nice find. I guess it's just goes to show you how much attention they put to everything in this show. Of course background ponies can't just stand there like in anime

• Brohoof 2

I wonder... the animators are always hiding things in the background... Do these things have actual purpose or are they just for environment? Good eye, by the way! But now you have us even more curious!

• Brohoof 1

That's not Fluttershy. That pony is seen around 06:48, with the robe on but with the hood off. She might be gossiping with the other one about Luna or Twilight. Or both.

Anyways, nice find. I didn't notice it the first time, but reviewing the episode (it's one of my favourites), I noticed it.

Edited by Kathzak

Okay, big, because apparently whatever it is incredibly shocking, but little, because it happens in the background over the course of about 2 seconds, in "Luna Eclipsed".

Honestly, I don't think I remember exactly what moment it is, but I think Luna's just run off, and Twilight's just said; "I'll do what I do best... Lecture her!" And runs off after her.

Posted Image

IIRC, this is after Fluttershy's appeared in the episode, in case you're wondering if it's Fluttershy, but the pony here has different hair, though.

Anyways, this has just got me wondering... What could be so shocking? The pony on the left was there when Nightmare Night was cancelled, so it can't be that...

Better yet, this shows that the creators actually put enough thought into the show to have two random ponies in the background, one of them hooded, tell the other something shocking. The creator either just threw that in, or had some kind of story in the back of his mind.

This is driving me nuts. I gotta find out who animated the background ponies for this episode :P

Doctor XFizzle is quite correct, that picture is indeed of Candy Mane speaking to Berry Punch in a Daring-Do costume.

Posted Image

It looks like fluttershy. Until you see pink eyes. Fluttershy has blue-heavy-green eyes.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I wonder... the animators are always hiding things in the background... Do these things have actual purpose or are they just for environment? Good eye, by the way! But now you have us even more curious!

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about! :D

I wonder if the animator created some sort of backstory in his mind to this... Now I'm really curious about what it is.

That's not Fluttershy. That pony is seen around 06:48, with the robe on but with the hood off. She might be gossiping with the other one about Luna or Twilight. Or both.

Anyways, nice find. I didn't notice it the first time, but reviewing the episode (it's one of my favourites), I noticed it.

Okay, so it's just her costume. I thought it was some pony sneaking around :P

Yeah, I remember that costume now that you mention it, though.

Judging by the little hint of mane in the pic, I think it's pony they call Candy Mane

Ah, that makes much more sense, especially since Scarlett Dagger pointed out the eyes aren't Fluttershy's color.

Where did the names for every background pony come from? I mean, wow, who came up with those and where can I find a list? :o

I don't think thats Fluttershy. That pony looks too different,

When I saw the picture, I thought this topic was about the purple pony wearing an outfit resembling Daring Do.

Lol, that's what I was originally going to make a thread about when I was re-watching this episode. I was like; It's Daring Do! :o

But actually, it isn't. It's the classic old-timey explorer outfit, but Daring Do's is different, at least how Rainbow Dash imagines it (We don't know how well the book actually describes it, and how much of Daring Do is just what Rainbow Dash imagines but isn't written in the book. But I'll bet the book doesn't give Daring's eye color, at least, 'cause that's Rainbow's eye color :P )

Posted Image

^cacky, has chest pockets, small rim on hat.

[EDIT: Originally I had posted a picture that didn't have a chest pocket, but I found a new, better one, that's actually a screenshot instead, so it's more accurate:

Posted Image

Berry Punch got it really close, though. I think she just couldn't find the right stuff and she was making her own costume, so she settled for cacky instead of green, and a small rim instead of large.

But then again, the vest color and size of the hat rim, I highly doubt are mentioned in the book, maybe the vest color :P

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

Posted Image

[EDIT: Originally I had posted a picture that didn't have a chest pocket, but I found a new, better one, that's actually a screenshot instead, so it's more accurate:

Posted Image

^A premonition lol

Edited by Narutardedscum

^A premonition lol

If it wasn't for the fact that the Daring Do episode was planned out well before they made the costumes for these ponies, I would think :P

This thread is about how much attention they pay, and put into, the background, really. And this just goes along with that. "Let's give that pony a Daring Do costume!" - maybe before they finish Daring Do's design, or later they revise Daring Do to be green instead of cacky?

Either that, or they got the idea from the episode. I remember Lauren saying that they got the idea for "Feeling Pinkie Keen" just talking about how old people sense weather, and how Twilight would react. Maybe someone looked at the costume and commented on "I wonder how Rainbow Dash would like old-timey Indiana-Jones type adventure stories?". No movies or TV, I don't think, in MLP, so it has to be a book. "A book? This episode could be about reading!" and thus it develops.

Or, it's all just coincidence and neither of those two connections exist :P

Berry Punch got it really close, though. I think she just couldn't find the right stuff and she was making her own costume, so she settled for cacky instead of green, and a small rim instead of large.

Sorry to nitpick, old chap, but it's spelt "khaki". :)

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about! :D

I wonder if the animator created some sort of backstory in his mind to this... Now I'm really curious about what it is.

Okay, so it's just her costume. I thought it was some pony sneaking around :P

Yeah, I remember that costume now that you mention it, though.

Ah, that makes much more sense, especially since Scarlett Dagger pointed out the eyes aren't Fluttershy's color.

Where did the names for every background pony come from? I mean, wow, who came up with those and where can I find a list? :o

Lol, that's what I was originally going to make a thread about when I was re-watching this episode. I was like; It's Daring Do! :o

But actually, it isn't. It's the classic old-timey explorer outfit, but Daring Do's is different, at least how Rainbow Dash imagines it (We don't know how well the book actually describes it, and how much of Daring Do is just what Rainbow Dash imagines but isn't written in the book. But I'll bet the book doesn't give Daring's eye color, at least, 'cause that's Rainbow's eye color :P )

Posted Image

Posted Image

But then again, the vest color and size of the hat rim, I highly doubt are mentioned in the book, maybe the vest color :P

I believe it's likely she did go dressed as Daring Doo. I mean, does one always get the costume exactly right? No! And Berry Punch did a nice effort!

It could be just a generic explorer, but isn't it cooler to think of her as Daring Doo?

• Brohoof 1

Sorry to nitpick, old chap, but it's spelt "khaki". :)

We learn something new every day :P

I believe it's likely she did go dressed as Daring Doo. I mean, does one always get the costume exactly right? No! And Berry Punch did a nice effort!

It could be just a generic explorer, but isn't it cooler to think of her as Daring Doo?

Lol, yeah, and if you think about it, we don't know if the book ever said if Daring's vest is green or khaki, that might've just been Rainbow Dash's imagination filling in the blanks that made it green. I mean, they're apparently great books, and a good book won't sit there and go through a boring exposition of every tiny detail :P

Lol, someone's gotta actually write THE Daring Do series as short stories :D

(Approved by the studio that makes MLP:FiM)

That type of hat is called a Pith helmet. I have one I bought several years ago at an antique show. I wear it when I go to flea markets and yard sales. It is now forever in my mind that it's a Daring Doo hat!

Look, I found a picture that looks EXACTLY like mine!

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

We learn something new every day :P

Lol, yeah, and if you think about it, we don't know if the book ever said if Daring's vest is green or khaki, that might've just been Rainbow Dash's imagination filling in the blanks that made it green. I mean, they're apparently great books, and a good book won't sit there and go through a boring exposition of every tiny detail :P

Lol, someone's gotta actually write THE Daring Do series as short stories :D

(Approved by the studio that makes MLP:FiM)

I'm pretty sure there's a picture of Daring Do with her explorer outfit in the cover of the books

Its fun discovering this kinda stuff =P I wonder what they're talking about :/

Why are you guys talking about how Daring Do is supposed to look like? Lol

Wait, who is the other pony dressed as? Obi One Kenobi?

Edited by LightningWing
  • Brohoof 1