This Is Why College Really Sucks

GXPBlast

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the college life such as meeting new people and getting awesome professors, but what I cannot stand is that it is basically an extension of high school with the same basic curriculum being tests and papers. Plus the huge amounts of debt one racks up is freaking stressful and is a burden. I originally wanted to get my Associates degree in IT but my parents basically forced me to take an undergrad degree. I am currently a senior and am already behind due to the massive credit requirements and will be graduating a semester or year late.

Also I cannot stand the pointless core classes. IN my college as an IT major I have to take three Philosophy classes in which i have finished and all sucked.

Couple the fact that I will probably learn way more at through an internship and getting a job in my field than I ever did at college.
Here is a quite funny video the describes college perfectly.

Any other college student out there who am dealing with this same crap?

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 18

HAH! That video... awesome. However, is this in the States? O:  When I was in College (I'm in Canada... and when I say College I mean not University XD) the only class we had to take that wasn't part of our program was a single random "free" credit thing. XD

I actually am dropping out of college after this semester is over.

I know this has little to do with your rant but... I am so incredibly stressed out by school that I had a mental break.

It's not good for my overall health.

I need out.

• Brohoof 3

HAH! That video... awesome. However, is this in the States? O:  When I was in College (I'm in Canada... and when I say College I mean not University XD) the only class we had to take that wasn't part of our program was a single random "free" credit thing. XD

Core class stuff depends on what kind of institution you go to. Most state schools don't have that requirement and you usually just have to take major classes, while in Liberal Arts colleges they have core classes so that you "experience" all subjects. I go to a Liberal Arts college and even though I am a Psychology major I have taken classes in History, Biology, and Philosophy

I actually am dropping out of college after this semester is over.

I know this has little to do with your rant but... I am so incredibly stressed out by school that I had a mental break.

It's not good for my overall health.

I need out.

I am currently on a leave of absence, that even though was medical, if done by a certain time at my school you can do without medical reasons and you have up to a full year to return and not lose your scholarships and have to reapply. Maybe your school offers something like this.

Core class stuff depends on what kind of institution you go to. Most state schools don't have that requirement and you usually just have to take major classes, while in Liberal Arts colleges they have core classes so that you "experience" all subjects. I go to a Liberal Arts college and even though I am a Psychology major I have taken classes in History, Biology, and Philosophy

I am currently on a leave of absence, that even though was medical, if done by a certain time at my school you can do without medical reasons and you have up to a full year to return and not lose your scholarships and have to reapply. Maybe your school offers something like this.

They do offer things like that but I am dropping out all together and trying a different school closer to home.

I'm a business major and I've got some pretty good experience with core classes that I won't need. Someday I hope to open up a comic shop, I know I don't necessarily need a degree to open a business, just a good sense OF business, which I have. The only reason I'm in college is just to learn the more intricate stuff that I should know (legal and econ mainly). However, I can't get a degree till I complete a Wyoming state history class, Biology, and a math class. The required math is college algebra, the business math class doesn't count and isn't required. On top of the ridiculous required classes, the college administration department has treated me like a pile of garbage, bad enough to the point that other students have made comments to me about how I've been treated and I was told to go to the school paper with a story on how bad it's been. After this semester I for sure won't be attending my current college, and I'm not sure if I even want to go to a tech school to get a degree

• Brohoof 2

Oh boy...

Basically I'm kind of feeling up shit creek at the moment. 

Up until last semester I was in flight training at a university that offered it as it's curriculum. Well, that costs extra money, which eventually ran out (and no, loans aren't an option. I have no credit, no possible cosigners). Now I'm kind of lost. I'm taking classes this semester to set me up for engineering when I transfer to a state school, but honestly I feel burned out. After being forced to give up my dream, I kind of feel dead inside. College went to being a chore, instead of an enjoyment.

Unfortunately I'm medically disqualified for the armed forces, too.

Now, the real kicker? Most of my credits are worthless now. Since most were major-specific (I declared first semester freshman year) or shitty geneds that SHOULD transfer, but don't. I'm a 2nd semester sophomore and I can't drum up the 36 transferable credits necessary to transfer. Even then, it's a hodgepodge of random credits, that will probably look like shit to any perspective college.

So basically I finally threw my hands up and yelled "fuck it!" and decided I'm taking the fall semester off. Gonna work, save some money, find myself a bit and get my shit together, and then start fresh in the spring. Will that be in college? Really, I don't know.

The American College System is leaving a bad taste in my mouth...

• Brohoof 8

Yes this is in the United States

I originally wanted to get my Associates degree in IT but my parents basically forced me to take an undergrad degree.

See, there's your problem.

You feel like it is just an expensive extension of high school because you are not doing what you want to be doing.

Why did your parents "force" you to get a bachelor's when you didn't want one? And why did you let them get away with that?

You are an adult and you make your own decisions now. The fact that your parents are seemingly still treating you like an adolescent may be contributing to your misery.

BTW, the fact that people are being told left and right that they have to go to college is so bad. People waste so much money going to college when they really don't have to. I graduated from university and I loved it while I was there. But that doesn't mean that that's everyone's path. I wish that people realized that.

• Brohoof 7

This is a pretty good video, I tried to go to college before I joined the navy, but it was sublimely expensive, my mother told me to take a loan from the government, but I was leery of taking anything from the Feds. After I got out from the navy, GI bill could not pay for college, the price was too high for even the GI bill, instead I joined a stock brokerage and now I am earning a decent income, I understood economics very well, and I am good at managing risk, although some people might regard stock investing as boring, I actually like investing, because it was what I wanted, it was something I could do, and I didn't need a degree in economy, it came natural to me. So may I suggest go to college if you have to, for lawyer or doctor professions, but it is possible to be successful without a college degree, if a college drop out like Bill Gates, or a high school drop out like Walt Disney could be a success, anyone can manage to pursue something of value, right now I am a stockholder and that has value for someone, and they pay me in return, plus I am effectively running my own business, so I say if you can go to college then go, if not find a career that suits you, you have a dream invest it, protect it, and don't let anyone tell you the only path to prosperity is only by an ordinary job or a college degree, they are only crutches, you have to stand up on your own.      

I already graduated with a degree in a field that I don't want to work in. I can understand your frustration. I don't think people under the age of 25 have the best idea of what to do with their lives. They can get led astray from their true passions during their college years. To make up for my mistake I am pursuing IT certifications through self study to get into the field I enjoy. When you are starting out you may feel hopeless, but all it takes is a little bit of discipline and persistence to pave your own way in life. 

Edited by LED Dasher
  • Brohoof 3

You think that's bad? It gets worse. There are certifications that you need to get before you can get a particularly good position anywhere and they take 6+ years to get. Of your own time. Oh and you have a single chance to pass before you have to wait two years between attempts.

Enjoy that shit.

Welcome to the real world.

You think that's bad? It gets worse. There are certifications that you need to get before you can get a particularly good position anywhere and they take 6+ years to get. Of your own time. Oh and you have a single chance to pass before you have to wait two years between attempts.

Enjoy that shit.

Welcome to the real world.

Um, what certifications are you referring to? I've never heard of any IT certification that works like that. 

Um, what certifications are you referring to? I've never heard of any IT certification that works like that. 

CISSP for one. A few others:

SSCP (Systems Security)
CAP (Info Authorization)
CSSLP (Software Development)
CCFP (Forensics)
HCISPP (HealthCare)

Here's a generalized list for a lot of fields: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_certification

And if you think that's bad the base engineering exam is 8 hours long. All at once. Base.

BASE!

Edited by Sekhayet

CISSP for one. A few others:

SSCP (Systems Security)
CAP (Info Authorization)
CSSLP (Software Development)
CCFP (Forensics)
HCISPP (HealthCare)

Here's a generalized list for a lot of fields: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_certification

And if you think that's bad the base engineering exam is 8 hours long. All at once. Base.

BASE!

Those certifications you are referring to are higher level ones designed for people with previous experience. Even then, certifications like the CISSP don't have that type of retake policy. Entry level certifications like the CompTIA trio (A+, Network+, and Security+) along with the CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) do not take that long to obtain. I actually self studied for my A+ and I am planning to get more certifications soon.

Here's more info about the CISSP retake policy: https://www.isc2.org/cancel-policy.aspx

From what I understand, you can retake any of the (ISC)2 exams three times within one calendar year. Also, the IT certifications you mentioned are related to InfoSec (Information Security) and not to entry level jobs. I don't want to get off topic too much, but there different ways to get into the IT field. You have to research more ways to do so.

• Brohoof 1

Those certifications you are referring to are higher level ones designed for people with previous experience. Even then, certifications like the CISSP don't have that type of retake policy. Entry level certifications like the CompTIA trio (A+, Network+, and Security+) along with the CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) do not take that long to obtain. I actually self studied for my A+ and I am planning to get more certifications soon.

Here's more info about the CISSP retake policy: https://www.isc2.org/cancel-policy.aspx

From what I understand, you can retake any of the (ISC)2 exams three times within one calendar year. Also, the IT certifications you mentioned are related to InfoSec (Information Security) and not to entry level jobs. I don't want to get off topic too much, but there different ways to get into the IT field. You have to research more ways to do so.

Agreed. I mentioned them specifically, because almost all my co-workers have at least one of that family. Which was why I added that general list.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
(edited)

Its that time of year again which means another semester of college and I am already late by a year along with many other students at my college. The credit requirements for a single major has increased over the past few years. It would take a student today to take at least 18 credits every semester to graduate on time. Most students don't do this as its overwhelming thus are forced to do an extra year. An extra year means more student debt and general stress the academic aspect that college brings. This is also even more stressful for students who have a job as well which makes for little to no free-time and only tons of stress all for a piece of paper society requires that does not guarantee you a job but promise you being in debt.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 4

There's a BIG reason as to why you feel like you are in a extension of high school. As far as American Education goes, it is further lagging behind more and more countries for a good reason. It is not a system to adequately learn in (let alone teach in). Usually the first 2 years in College is dedicated to catching you up to where you should actually have been educationally at the end of your high school career. It is a failing educational system, and your wallet and time pays the price.  Credit requirements increase because the schools have to add more curriculum to catch you up on top of excelling you to where you should be by the time you graduate college.  Tuition increases to accommodate the expenses of the college on top of failure of your preparation, which, although it is not your fault, it is your responsibility. It's a big problem in America and it will only continue to grow (does anyone here really expect the national college debt to lessen over time?).....I could go into it in greater depth but there is TONS of stuff on the internet explaining what I am saying....It is quite complicated but at the end of the day, the modern American Education system is a failure. No Child left behind lowered the standards for all, and now this common core is not helping the system either.

Sure, cram more information in without consistency or applicability.  Take away the arts (which have been proven to increase learning, attention, and success of students in life) and focus on sports (which does none of what arts do for the students). Take away the child's main way to LEARN, i.e. recess/play, or pad it up so much that children don't even want to play on it. Add politics and misguided parents who only see the short term or look so far down the road where it's impossible to predict, and you have quite a failed system.

I should know, I originally went in to be a history teacher. When I learned what my "teaching" entails, I threw my hands up and declared "good riddance" to my own education, which I heavily used as a crutch to get through my troubled childhood, and now can only see stupidity running this country because of what people DON'T KNOW but SHOULD, and those who are told would rather live in their little bubble of ignorance and claim denial for what is right in front of their face. And those who do see and know are deemed "trouble" by the government and communities and are seen as a "hindrance to the betterment of society." Thank you America...

• Brohoof 6

Yeah that debt is stupid. And if it isn't enough, it only gets bigger as the time passes. There needs to be a limit on how big that debt can get. Apparently, even after passing away, this 28-year old's debt was handed over to her parents, and it has DOUBLED in 4 years... Bastards.

I thankfully live at home since that's where my college is at, so I'm saving big. According to my dad, that debt is "nickels and dimes", but I don't think he knows what he's talking about...

(edited)

Yeah that debt is stupid. And if it isn't enough, it only gets bigger as the time passes. There needs to be a limit on how big that debt can get. Apparently, even after passing away, this 28-year old's debt was handed over to her parents, and it has DOUBLED in 4 years... Bastards.

I thankfully live at home since that's where my college is at, so I'm saving big. According to my dad, that debt is "nickels and dimes", but I don't think he knows what he's talking about...

I am lucky enough to not having to dorm as well so I save in that department. Although I may have less debt than many other people my age, its till alot of money. I would have went to a state school that I could also commute to and saved thousands, but my parents would not have it and basically made me go to this college. I do enjoy the overall experience of meeting people and some great professors but I could have gotten the exact same at a state school and been in way less debt.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1