Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I think Pinkie Pie was better in Season 1

LED Dasher

I have not been as impressed with Pinkie in Season 4 as much as I have been with her previously. It's a shame because she had a unique personality compared to all the other ponies. Her antics and jokes make the episodes fun to watch and brought something interesting. Her best moments were in episodes such as "Griffon the Brush Off", "Swarm of the Century", and "Feeling Pinkie Keen." Remember when Pinkie played pranks on Gilda? Or when she ended up unexpectedly brought musical instruments together to lead away a swarm of Parasprites and others thought she wasn't helping? What about when Twilight questioned her "Pinkie sense?"  

Now she acts more annoying and doesn't really bring anything interesting to the episode. The episode where Pinkie did a rap song about the wonderbolts reminded me of how much more enjoyable she was used to be. It was one of her best moments in Season 4. I really want the old Pinkie back. Rainbow Dash has surpassed Pinkie in terms of personality and character development.

How does everyone else feel about her? Do you think she could use some improvement?

• Brohoof 2

I think that the writers just aren't sure what to do with Pinkie all the time whenever she is not in the spotlight of an episode.

Pinkie's best moments this season have been in Pinkie Pride. One of my favorite songs this season is Pinkie's Lament.

I think that some of the time the writers have made her too eccentric, but at least she gets down-to-earth moments at all. Those tend to be her best moments, I think because it's such a good contrast to her eccentricities.

• Brohoof 2

I think she has enough character development, but there is still room for improvement here and there. Asking for the old Pinkie is good, but writing Pinkie is like trying to write AJ.

Now she acts more annoying and doesn't really bring anything interesting to the episode.

xc4Dlyr.gif

--------------------------------------------------

Actually, I do know what you mean. I've noticed it myself. She has kind of gone from the "random" character to the "clueless idiot" one.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I disagree. (Then again, I'm obliged to as she is my favourite character ever.)

I haven't seen the newest episode yet, so I'll comment on what I have seen. Season 4, I think, has not dumbed Pinkie down at all - it has enhanced the free spirit personality that, in fact, Lauren Faust was hoping to have Pinkie Pie be to begin with. Whenever she's in a group endeavour, such as searching for Flutterbat or in the Daring Do temple, she's always provided the comic relief. That's essential to what could potentially be very tense moments. If anything, Season 4 has brought Pinkie closer to her Season 1 personality - remember the emphasis on smiling she had in Pinky Apple Pie? Her appreciation for family in that episode and Maud Pie? I will admit that episodes such as Filli Vanilli throw her character in the wrong direction, but I place that on the fact that all the elements to her make her difficult to write. I can also think of wonderful connections were made in her spotlights episodes with Cheese Sandwich and Maud Pie - and let's not forget her enlightenments about family in S4E9. They were all extremely warm and satisfying to watch. And when she's not the spotlight and comes across as one-dimensional, that just emphasises how Pinkie is a character who loves the spotlight, a character who values the acknowledgement and well-being of others more than anything (think of Pinkie Pride and Party of One, another link from S4 to S1). Without that spotlight, she just does her own thing as there is no explicit duty on her mind at that moment. And that's fair enough for me.

I guess I could ultimately say to each their own? I mean, it's all about perception. Perhaps that's why this fandom likes its critical analysis as much as it does.

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 3

I disagree. (Then again, I'm obliged to as she is my favourite character ever.)

I haven't seen the newest episode yet, so I'll comment on what I have seen. Season 4, I think, has not dumbed Pinkie down at all - it has enhanced the free spirit personality that, in fact, Lauren Faust was hoping to have Pinkie Pie be to begin with. Whenever she's in a group endeavour, such as searching for Flutterbat or in the Daring Do temple, she's always provided the comic relief. That's essential to what could potentially be very tense moments. If anything, Season 4 has brought Pinkie closer to her Season 1 personality - remember the emphasis on smiling she had in Pinky Apple Pie? Her appreciation for family in that episode and Maud Pie? I will admit that episodes such as Filli Vanilli throw her character in the wrong direction, but I place that on the fact that all the elements to her make her difficult to write. I can also think of wonderful connections were made in her spotlights episodes with Cheese Sandwich and Maud Pie - and let's not forget her enlightenments about family in S4E9. They were all extremely warm and satisfying to watch. And when she's not the spotlight and comes across as one-dimensional, that just emphasises how Pinkie is a character who loves the spotlight, a character who values the acknowledgement and well-being of others more than anything (think of Pinkie Pride and Party of One, another link from S4 to S1). Without that spotlight, she just does her own thing as there is no explicit duty on her mind at that moment. And that's fair enough for me.

I guess I could ultimately say to each their own? I mean, it's all about perception. Perhaps that's why this fandom likes its critical analysis as much as it does.

Best counter argument I ever seen... 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not saying that Pinkie isn't enjoyable this season. Like I said, the Wonderbolts rap and Pikie Pride were great. Maud Pie was also a great episode where her personality was contrasted with her sister's. I'm just seeing that there's less of the antics and jokes that she used to have back in season 1. She does have her moments in season 4. I am not arguing that. I was just trying making an observation. Maybe it's just that the show has taken a different approach and I'm just a bit nostalgic about earlier seasons.

I just wish the writers would understand that Pinkie Pie's a more complex character than the episodes that have her as a side character seem to insist.

I mean, yes, we've had great episodes for her this season like Pinkie Apple Pie, Pinkie Pride, and even Maud Pie did an okay job. But at the same time there are episodes like Three's a Crowd...

I mean, even back during season 1 they knew what they were doing. I mean, Party of One set Pinkie Pie up to be the great character she is, being terrified of loneliness and being unable to be happy without the other ponies with her. She's insecure, dependent on others, and does whatever she can to keep them happy so she can be happy herself, with them by her side. She's an amazingly complex and sympathetic character and not all of the more recent episodes seem to have this concept fully down-pat.

I won't pick which season I think did it better, but I won't deny for a second that Hasbro really needs to get their crap together soon, or we're going to have problems.

• Brohoof 1