Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Religion according to Datte

Dattebayo

This thread is in no way directed at anyone.

If you think I'm talking about you, it's a coincidence,but you should review your actions

So.

WHen I was little, I believed in God.

Yeah, a benevolent diety that watched over you and loved you unconditionally.

If you were good, you would go to a wonderful paradise when you die.

It sounded great.

But my mom was very on and off about religion.

She preached that we should be good and pray before sleeping so we could go to heaven, but we never went to church and she always blamed God for any unfortunate things that happened to us (which, granted, were very frequent and random).

During a very difficult financial crisis that lasted nearly my entire life and only ended maybe 5 years ago, my mom, in a fit of rage, told me:

"There is no God. If he exists, he hates us. (our family)".

Now, my mom is the type of person who says things she doesn't mean when she's angry.

But this particlar thing struck me very hard. It made me think, "Did I really want to believe in a God who lets all of these bad things happen to us and turns a blind eye, no matter how hard we prayed?". To me, it was better to just believe that there is no compassionate diety looking out for us than to think that he doesn't care about me.

So one day...I just stopped praying.

Throughout my life, I was/still am annoyed at people who tell me, as a way to reassure me, that "It's all part of God's plan" and "to pray so our situation gets better". What the hell do they know? How many nights have they slept on a cold floor? How many appartments have you lived in that had +10 people living in it? How many days did they go without eating? How many days did they walk miles from school hoping the power wasn't shut off?

But...I realize that some people need something to belive in. Hell, if God descends from the heavens and reveals himself to mankind, I'll be the FIRST to repent and kiss his a$$.

TO some, believing in a God gives them hope that things will undoubtedly get better because an all-knowing entity cares about them. It's admirable.

So when people get attacked for their religion, it makes me confused.

Whyy? Does the fact that they're, I don't know, Christian or Muslmim, make them any less good of a person without being shown proof that they are in fact terrible people? Do their beliefs make them not worthy of common courtesy?

Sure, there are people in the groups that deserve it, like extremists who outright hate on LGBT communities or idealistic terrorists who force their views in the form of terror and violence. But as a general group, they deserve the same respect as if you were going to fall in a fissure and the only person who could save you is them.

Think about that next time your persnicity a$$ boasts your Atheist superiority in a religious thread.

• Brohoof 2

I'm a Unitarian but something that Bill Maher said always hits home with me.This is paraphrased but it was "People in prison will have faith, I get that." I think for those who are less fortunate religion just gives them some hope of something better.

I agree with what you said though, a lot of atheists (not all) can be very uppity about their beliefs but the same is true for some religious people.

Now, I may be overstepping my bounds here, and I will delete this post if asked.

I want to address something personal here. I did not have the same situations as you, Datte. Nowhere near that. I never wondered about where the next meal was coming from, or if the power was still there when I would get home. No, I had nothing like that. But I've been in your mental mindset. I know how you feel. I can understand where you're coming from in the whole "If God appears, then I'll be right there, but until then, whatever".  I used to think it for a time.

I just wanted you to know one thing. Everyone who said it's all a part of God's plan was unknowingly lying  God's plan for someone is to have them wondering this, wondering what's going to happen to them? Essentially if they can survive to the next day? Bull. No, that isn't God's plan. I'm not here to change your mind or try to convert you. I just wanted to let you know something you've probably already figured out: That was not God's plan.

Again, not trying to make you switch sides. And I won't go any deeper on the subject, at least not on a public forum. If you want to, my skype is on my profile. I don't expect you to use it, but that's your business. Hope this helped some, despite the repetition and lack of detail.

Have a nice day or night, depending on when you're reading this.

--Derpy Defense Force

• Brohoof 1