Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Religion?

Rozylee

(edited)
3 hours ago, Ando333 said:

whats a religion?
¿

A subset ideology similar to a cult, and man-made politics apparently. But, cults are founded by madmen.

For example, observe the Cult of Humans worshipping MonkeyButts. The founder and his disciples collected and worshipped monkeybutts because they believed that from the anus of The Golden Dubstep Acid-Tripping Baboon, Humanity came into existence. It teared its buttcheeks wide open and thus Humanity came into being. Proselytizing people to worship monkeybutts to fulfill their... bizarre tastes is their main goal of life.

If any of THAT makes sense to you, then just realize I made the whole thing up as a joke just to iterate a point. Sorry.

With religions its debatable whether the founders or the figures of that said religion were really madmen as people claim so consider me skeptical on THAT end.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
Typo. Taste = Tatstes

23 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

If any of THAT makes sense to you, then just realize I made the whole thing up as a joke just to iterate a point. Sorry.

Jokes on you this is the first thing I read from ur post.

and i was obviously jokin as well

• Brohoof 1

Oh my apologies then @Ando333. I tend to be a cynical (though trying to be optimistic), sarcastic, serious, wise-ass that doesn't try at all to be funny. My humor (if you can call it that) and mannerisms are about as dry as a shriveled sunburnt fig.

That's who I am and that's how I roll.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Ando333 said:

You are being too kind to yourself

That wasn't what I was going for, but ok then whatever you roll with. But, if I were to be blunt then I would violate NFSW policies in this forum which I respect and adhere to after my screw up. You have no idea how much I hate myself as a person. But, nevertheless I am seeking redemptions of my wrongdoings to NOT have feelings of guilt and shame haunt me. What about you?

Edited by ZethaPonderer

(edited)

You see how serious am I? :lol: Besides if you were kidding then I apologize, but I can't tell if people are being sarcastic or joking in their comments.

Anyway, sorry about the cold shoulder welcome there. See ya.

Edited by ZethaPonderer

(edited)
12 hours ago, SummerOfGold said:

It really saddens me when you just take one look at us and act like we're idiots and that you know everything about us. Not trying to be rude here, but you are years worth of research behind. It's not something I can explain to you in one post, especially if you have the attitude that you're showing in your post.

Please don't try to explain us unless you actually know what you're talking about, because it's more than just some "psychological thingy" that "helps us relax". That isn't the reason in the slightest.

Sorry if I came across as rude.

You say "us" as if I wasn't born and raised in one of the most christian countries to ever exist, and as if I wasn't a christian myself for most of my life. I probably have more experience with christianity and religious fanatics than you will ever have. I wish I didn't, really want all this nonsense to just go away, but that's just how my world works. You're the ignorant one here, you assumed that I'm absolutely clueless, while knowing next to nothing about me. You only considered my post, which was purely opinionated, not aimed at you and merely my attempt to get my point across to @Hierok.

And what research are you talking about, exactly? 

Edited by Guest

(edited)

I don't think any of us went too agressive, for now atleast.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Fluttershy Friend said:

Hi everyponies! Please let's remember that General Discusion is "a friendly, pleasant and paceful place...";)

Yeah. This topic went out of hand (as if it wasn't already XD).

So much for bringing peace here. Oh well :P.

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Yeah. This topic went out of hand (as if it wasn't already XD).

So much for bringing peace here. Oh well :P.

It's kind of difficult to bring complete peace in a topic like this.:D

(edited)
On 6/2/2017 at 10:41 PM, SCS said:

Lastly, the King James Version of the Holy Christian Bible is the only translation I recognize as legitimate. Any other Bible translation, especially "modern" and "easy to read" translations have proven to stray deliberately and dangerously from the true Word of God, either outright omitting passages or completely changing their wording or meaning.

I am very curious why you consider a translation from 1611, which translates wild oxen as "unicorns", to be more legitimate than any other. Do you believe that issues with bias or mistranslation didn't exist in the year 1611?

Edited by Daring_Do
  • Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, Niko said:

It's kind of difficult to bring complete peace in a topic like this.:D

True. But, hey at least we tried. :lol: Even I lost it there, but at least I tried.

Also @Daring_Do, interesting question there, but not sure if its relevant to discuss the subject matter here. Translation issues have always existed. I say screw that and learn Hebrew and Greek to learn the Bible that way, though The Red Letter Bible edition seems to portray the teachings of Prophet Isa/Jesus/Yehshua (AS) under Red Letters.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, ZethaPonderer said:

True. But, hey at least we tried. :lol: Even I lost it there, but at least I tried.

Also @Daring_Do, interesting question there, but not sure if its relevant to discuss the subject matter here. Translation issues have always existed. I say screw that and learn Hebrew and Greek to learn the Bible that way, though The Red Letter Bible edition seems to portray the teachings of Prophet Isa/Jesus/Yehshua (AS) under Red Letters.

Well it's more like why would you. Sure, you can try not to downright insult someone, but you know, expressing your religious opinions to someone who has completely different ones CAN come out as rude sometimes and it should be fine. It's not like they always try to insult them, it's just that stating your opinion can sound harsh to the other end.

Question to mods: What happened to the old "What's your religion?" thread? It was huge with loads of votes but now I can't find it. Was it deleted cause of flame wars? And if yes, why are you allowing another thread on the same topic?

I am not religious and don't know anyone irl who is. afaik.

1 hour ago, Jokuc said:

Question to mods: What happened to the old "What's your religion?" thread? It was huge with loads of votes but now I can't find it. Was it deleted cause of flame wars? And if yes, why are you allowing another thread on the same topic?

Are you referring to this thread, by chance?

Took a wrong turn in the Debate Pit and got lost it seems. :P

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Niko said:

You say "us" as if I wasn't born and raised in one of the most christian countries to ever exist, and as if I wasn't a christian myself for most of my life. I probably have more experience with christianity and religious fanatics than you will ever have. I wish I didn't, really want all this nonsense to just go away, but that's just how my world works. You're the ignorant one here, you assumed that I'm absolutely clueless, while knowing next to nothing about me. You only considered my post, which was purely opinionated, not aimed at you and merely my attempt to get my point across to @Hierok.

And what research are you talking about, exactly? 

You can live your whole life as a "Christian" an still not understand it. Living around them or in a Christian household means nothing, really. And just because you've had more experience with fanatics doesn't mean that you know or understand what Biblical Christianity is actually like. I'm not saying that I know anything about you aside from this: if you actually knew what Christianity was like with the knowledge it took me years of diligence to understand and acquire, you would know it is miles beyond the post you originally gave.

Again, the way I word things isn't meant to be rude. Just not sure how to say it.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, SummerOfGold said:

You can live your whole life as a "Christian" an still not understand it. Living around them or in a Christian household means nothing, really. And just because you've had more experience with fanatics doesn't mean that you know or understand what Biblical Christianity is actually like. I'm not saying that I know anything about you aside from this: if you actually knew what Christianity was like with the knowledge it took me years of diligence to understand and acquire, you would know it is miles beyond the post you originally gave.

Again, the way I word things isn't meant to be rude. Just not sure how to say it.

What makes you think YOU understand it though and not me? Sounds pretty ignorant if you ask me, lol. And ah, the typical "you have it all misinterpreted" argument, classic. Biblical Christianity is the same as they explain it in that truly god damn book. It's full of hypocrisy, slavery, sexism, lies, BILLIONS of self-contradictions, and just so much more. Yes, there are some loving elements to it, but that only stays relevant after you ignore every other thing that it says, and most christians bring that misinterpretation argument up again and again.

Aside from this catfight that's going on here between an Atheist and a Christian, I just want to say my piece that context matters when reading any religious scriptures. And catering to the clearest and logically sound interpretation is integral to understand the scriptures to practice the teachings effectively. Because the main issue that I have is people cherry picking verses with zero context and using their own personal interpretation without any research on their end to back their interpretations of the verses up. To understand the Torah read the Talmud to get the context out of the verses. Because reading the Torah on its own isn't enough.

Nonono Celly, you're thinking about the Old Testament. Most Christians follow the New Testament from the Bible which is a serious shift from the Old Testament teachings. I don't know if this means that ALL of the teachings in the Old Testament are abrogated though? :P

As for @SummerOfGold, please understand that not everyone thinks the same as you. It's really uncalled for on your end especially when Celly was directing his comment to Hierok. Please learn how to fit in somebody's shoes next time. Cause people at this day and age have their right to be critically harsh or be willfully ignorant and are raised differently than you. At least be grateful that Niko read The Bible (though I don't know if you were forced to read it on your end there Celly? :lol:).

• Brohoof 1

44 minutes ago, Niko said:

What makes you think YOU understand it though and not me? Sounds pretty ignorant if you ask me, lol. And ah, the typical "you have it all misinterpreted" argument, classic. Biblical Christianity is the same as they explain it in that truly god damn book. It's full of hypocrisy, slavery, sexism, lies, BILLIONS of self-contradictions, and just so much more. Yes, there are some loving elements to it, but that only stays relevant after you ignore every other thing that it says, and most christians bring that misinterpretation argument up again and again.

I don't see why you feel the need to suddenly turn hostile. Have I said anything to insult or demean you?

I think I can honestly say that I understand it more than you do because I don't just walk into it with the hostility you obviously have towards it. You have a negative bias towards it and it shows in the way you respond. And while you can say "I've heard that argument before" I can say the same for your comments. It's a book, and I've studied it more than you have and read studies from people who have studied it more than I have. When you know about something somebody doesn't know about, you are able to tell that they don't know it because you have more to go off of.

Instead of giving the standard "sexist and contradicting" arguments, could you please explain yourself and where you have drawn those conclusions? I'm trying to be kind an honest with you. Could you pay me the same courtesy? We're adults, not children.

7 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Aside from this catfight that's going on here between an Atheist and a Christian, I just want to say my piece that context matters when reading any religious scriptures. And catering to the clearest and logically sound interpretation is integral to understand the scriptures to practice the teachings effectively. Because the main issue that I have is people cherry picking verses with zero context and using their own personal interpretation without any research on their end to back their interpretations of the verses up. To understand the Torah read the Talmud to get the context out of the verses. Because reading the Torah on its own isn't enough.

Nonono @Niko, you're thinking about the Old Testament. Most Christians follow the New Testament from the Bible which is a serious shift from the Old Testament teachings. I don't know if this means that ALL of the teachings in the Old Testament are abrogated though? :P

As for @SummerOfGold, please understand that not everyone thinks the same as you. It's really uncalled for on your end especially when Niko was directing his comment to Hierok. Please learn how to fit in somebody's shoes next time. Cause people at this day and age have their right to be critically harsh or be willfully ignorant and are raised differently than you. At least be grateful that Niko read The Bible (though I don't know if you were forced to read it on your end there Niko? :lol:).

Sorry didn't see the comment before replying. Gimme a sec

(sorry in advance if I'm missing the point)

Look, I'm sorry for butting in. I'm not trying to be pushy about this. If I'm being honest, I replied because I felt like I was being forced into a box and completely discredited.

Sorry, Niko.

• Brohoof 1