For the Artist Bronies

BizzarePony

Hello there. I was wondering if any of you artists out there could let me know how you learned your techniques, and what sort of programs you use to draw ponies. Or anything else, for that matter. Feel free to add whatever details you feel to be important. Also, I am not sure if this is the right section for this topic, so admins, feel free to move it wherever you best see fit.

I sketch a lot on my spare time, though I rarely scan my pictures. When I do scan some with the intention of finishing them on computer, or when I intend to draw a digital picture directly, I use GIMP with my Wacom Bamboo tablet.

"whatever details you deem to be important"

As in all other kinds of art... practice. That's how learned pretty much everything I know.

Oh, and making topics like this one. I once did on another forum, and there were interesting posts - though one person said "what happened to trial and error?", which is silly because that kind of thing can only get you so far.

Edited by Feather Spiral

I spent years working with pen and paper. I am no good with any computer program, but it took a lot of practice. At the time I was real into anime, so I would draw things in that style.

So now when it comes to ponies, I find it much easier as they aren't too complicated to put together. But at the same time, I can add a lot of cool things that I have picked up over the years.

• Brohoof 1

I sketch a lot on my spare time, though I rarely scan my pictures. When I do scan some with the intention of finishing them on computer, or when I intend to draw a digital picture directly, I use GIMP with my Wacom Bamboo tablet.

Is the Bamboo tablet good? I'm thinking about getting one.

I just got into using Photoshop. I don't know much about it yet. I watched a few tutorials on youtube and learned how to do some vectoring. I use a Bamboo tablet for everything from vectoring to drawing. When I'm on my laptop (Windows) I like to use PaintTool SAI because of it's line smoothing function.

Is the Bamboo tablet good? I'm thinking about getting one.

I've had no complaints with it so far. It takes some getting used to though because you have to look at the screen while you're drawing. If you want the best and have the money to spare, you can get a tablet that has a screen built in so you can use it basically like paper. Edited by Apple Bloom

^That^ hand-eye schism is pretty much why I prefer traditional medium for sketching and finding the right poses/proportions/etc. I sometimes wish I had bought one with built-in screen.

But this way, I'm more motivated to keep drawing on paper, which feels more authentic. Depends on the artist; in my case, I prefer traditional anyday.

• 1 year later...

I started sketching ponies recently and I used the cross through an oval technique for doing front perspectives. It works pretty well.

Am I too late to respond?

(edited)

I'm only sort of good at drawing at best, but I've taught myself to use Photoshop ever since I was exposed to it when CS1 was new.

Teaching yourself consists of finding tutorials online or googling "How do you convert selection to vector path", things like that, and then continually doing and trying to make stuff. Eventually you'll stumble on new techniques, as well as get pretty fast with the essentials. And learn Adobe's specific terminology.

big_mac_as_ralph__babs_as_vanellope_by_a

and wreck things

(by the way, the Convert Selection to Work Path button is in the Paths tab beside the Layers tab. The button is right near where the New Layer button would be. Use the mouse-over tool tip to find it.)

Edited by Blue