Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone have Surgery before?

Carolina

So earlier today (at 7:30 in the morning), I had surgery for the first time in my life. I was skiing last month and fell and tore my ACL. I stayed awake for the entire thing and watched the surgeons poking around my knee on the screen. It was actually pretty damn cool and I liked that they explained everything that was going on. In a lot of pain now, though, which makes sense given that the put screws in there, obliterated the old ACL and cut into my hamstring to make a graff. Overall, though, the whole experience was nowhere near as bad as I expected.

Anyone else ever have surgery? Which ones? Any good horror stories?

• Brohoof 3

I have never had surgery before, well other than getting my wisdom tooth pulled, which by the way hurt like HELL, but as far as anything major where they actually cut into you, nope. I hope that I never have to either, my biggest fear is that (and I know they didn't put you to sleep) and never waking up, the though kind of just creeps me out. :blush:

• Brohoof 1

I had my wisdom teeth pulled, eye surgery when I was in 2nd grade, and a minor procedure to realign my patella ( a bone above the kneecap) after a soccer injury

Yes, once on my leg to fix a birth defect (hole in a muscle) and then again in 1999 after hitting a table headfirst while on vacation in Florida. Perhaps the most important surgery I've ever had was in 2003...

If you've ever seen pictures of me, you might have noticed a scar on my face between my lip and nose. It's a long story.

Adenoids, wisdom teeth, and a lingual frenectomy.

I have a surgery coming up, not sure when yet, but I have it planned. My most serious yet. Orthognatic surgery. They're gonna basically cut my jaw into pieces and realign it. 

• Brohoof 1

Only surgery I ever had was a few years ago when I had my wisdom teeth removed, the procedure itself was not too bad, I was awake during it but was so doped up I couldn't feel a thing. What did suck though was not being able to eat solid food for a few days, I was so weak from the hunger that I felt like I was going to pass out. It took maybe a week or so until I was strong enough to resume normal activity levels again (mostly due to not eating solid food for a few days). Once I finally got to eat a steak it could have been as tough as shoe leather and to me it may as well have been filet minion.

• Brohoof 1

Wisdom Teeth: I got a "dry-socket" which was pretty painful, but it eventually healed.

Austin Bunionectomy: They cut my big toe and realigned the bones and screwed them in place so that my bunion would not become severe as I grow older. Recovering from the nerve interruption was obnoxiously painful as any jolt to the foot resulted in shooting pain up my leg.

I watched a total knee replacement and an arthroscopic ACL replacement surgery during anatomy lab this year. I struggled with the arthroscopic video for some reason, but wasn't bothered by the knee replacement despite it being completely spread open by the doctors. Surprisingly, I was not affected by the cadaver lab either--which is a total miracle.

• Brohoof 2

Sometime ago (I think it was second grade) I somehow broke my middle finger playing with a block.

I don't remember much of it, just stinging sensations, and the cast I had on my finger for some time.

I tore my ACL and Meniscus a couple years ago and had undergo a lot of physical therapy before and after surgery. I had to be in crutches for a while and missed both my senior year of football and basketball. Not exactly the best of times.

I also had my wisdom teeth taken out many years ago, but that only rendered me incapable of doing stuff for a day.

Thanks to both surgeries I'm not afraid of needles. :D

• Brohoof 2

I guess if you count gegtting and removing stitches surgery then yes I have. I was 4 and fell on some rocks and hit my forehead (Which explains a lot about me :P )

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I tore my ACL and Meniscus a couple years ago and had undergo a lot of physical therapy before and after surgery. I had to be in crutches for a while and missed both my senior year of football and basketball. Not exactly the best of times.

I also had my wisdom teeth taken out many years ago, but that only rendered me incapable of doing stuff for a day.

Thanks to both surgeries I'm not afraid of needles. :D

Oh yeah, I hear meniscus surgery is much worse because you cannot be weight-bearing. I had a really small tear on mine that wasn't even picked up on in the initial MRI, so they left it alone.

I watched a total knee replacement and an arthroscopic ACL replacement surgery during anatomy lab this year. I struggled with the arthroscopic video for some reason, but wasn't bothered by the knee replacement despite it being completely spread open by the doctors. Surprisingly, I was not affected by the cadaver lab either--which is a total miracle.

From a non-medical standpoint, I thought the inside of the knee looked really "pretty" - lol. It was kind of like being underwater and everything was pink and sparkly. Some of the tissue looked like cotton candy when it was drilled into. The ACL itself was kind of pretty, too. It kind of looks like it's made of shiny, metalic pastic. Heh.

I think my surgeon liked that I stayed awake and watched. Not many people choose it, so I think he enjoyed explaining the surgery, as he is very passionate about what he does. 

Edited by Carolina
  • Brohoof 1

Skull fracture was my most insane one. Was hit in the forehead with a hockey stick and it shattard the upper right side of my skull. The blow put me in a coma for 8 hours. Once I woke up they did tons of tests to make sure brain was alright and fixed a plate in there.

Other surgeries include 4 wisdom teeth. A punctured lung 5 broken ribs and a knife laceration that took 34 stitches also had a cross bow bolt removed from my foot. But never broken an arm or leg so yay silver lining :P

From a non-medical standpoint, I thought the inside of the knee looked really "pretty" - lol. It was kind of like being underwater and everything was pink and sparkly. Some of the tissue looked like cotton candy when it was drilled into. The ACL itself was kind of pretty, too. It kind of looks like it's made of shiny, metalic pastic. Heh.

That reminds me--a biology teacher a couple years ago showed us the arthroscopic video of his knee getting cleaned out. He had a lot of arthritis built up and it looked like cotton candy now that you mention it. Haha they used a little spinning potato-peeler-looking thing to gather it and suck it out another tube. Hopefully what you saw wasn't arthritis! (I'm certain they would have mentioned it to you if it had been)
  • Brohoof 1

Had my tonsils out twice (they didn't get them all the first time!) when I was 2 and again at 9, a hernia operation when I was 5, and a tooth cut out of my gum when I was about 15. Nothing too exciting or difficult to get over, thankfully!

• Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, I hear meniscus surgery is much worse because you cannot be weight-bearing. I had a really small tear on mine that wasn't even picked up on in the initial MRI, so they left it alone.

It's true, but I had to put some weight on it because I wanted to at least play baseball later that year. In the end, it all worked out and I can move normally. :yay:

• Brohoof 1

That reminds me--a biology teacher a couple years ago showed us the arthroscopic video of his knee getting cleaned out. He had a lot of arthritis built up and it looked like cotton candy now that you mention it. Haha they used a little spinning potato-peeler-looking thing to gather it and suck it out another tube. Hopefully what you saw wasn't arthritis! (I'm certain they would have mentioned it to you if it had been) 

Nah, not arthritis, because he said the bone itself looked nice and smooth. I think it was actually the old ACL after it was ripped up. There was some other cottony looking stuff too, though, IIRC, but don't recall what it is. Maybe fat?
  • Brohoof 1

Nah, not arthritis, because he said the bone itself looked nice and smooth. I think it was actually the old ACL after it was ripped up. There was some other cottony looking stuff too, though, IIRC, but don't recall what it is. Maybe fat?

Was it inside the bone where they anchored the replacement ligament? Or was it in the surrounding tissue? If the first, I wouldn't think it was fat. If it was the latter...working with the cadavers this semester, fat always had a yellow color to it and seemed more clumpy than cotton candy would. I can't really say without seeing it myself, but I don't feel like sitting through another knee surgery video...haha

• Brohoof 1

It's true, but I had to put some weight on it because I wanted to at least play baseball later that year. In the end, it all worked out and I can move normally.

That's good to hear! Glad your recovery went well. :) Do you remember how long it took? 

• Brohoof 1

Got my wisdom teeth removed over two separate appointments sometime last year. Worst part was that both times they didn't use enough numbing agent at first and I felt them painfully cracking my teeth for a few seconds, to say nothing of the nightmare inducing sound of your teeth shattering as they remove them.

Before that was when I had eye surgeon when I was about 8 or 9. I remember them telling me to count down from ten, and I think I made it to six before the next thing I know I wake up totally blind for the next few hours while I waited for my vision to slowly return.   

That's good to hear! Glad your recovery went well. :) Do you remember how long it took? 

It's not the clearest, but I think I have a general assumption. I injured my knee area in late August, and took physical therapy from September to around mid-October in which I received the surgery. Then around the start of November, I started performing my post-surgery therapy, which I did until late December, maybe even early January, perhaps.

And thank you. :catface:

• Brohoof 1