Pick A Flaw-Owls Well That Ends Well[Season 1,Episode 24]

Larkybird~

The flaw?  

19 users have voted

1. 1. Pick the flaw

• Owlowiscious
    • Spike neglect/abuse
    • The mirrored praising scene with an owl they barely knew
    • Twilight saying Owlowiscious was her nighttime helper despite over half the episode taking place during the day time.
    • Spike running away scene
    • Other

Alrighty you know the rules of this thread so I don't see much of a point repeating them.

Other than yknow this isn't a thread to blast on the episode.

Specify what about the chosen flaw that bugged you if you can or if you chose other what the flaw you found in it. Personally. I found that scene were suddenly the mane six loves Owlowiscious despite them only knowing him for a day, with everyone giving him the same praise spike got in the beginning of the episode the worst. It's just so....I can't put into words but it does seem a hint odd that they'd all suddenly shower an owl they barely know which such praise.

(edited)

Too obvious: the Spikabuse rears its ugly head here. OWtEW actively punishes Spike for being rightfully jealous of Owlowiscious. You have an owl stop by and stay out of nowhere. He has no idea who he, what he's for, and what he does. Initially, I accused Spike of being out of character; although I stand by it because he trusts her enough, his reaction is nonetheless justified. FIM is not a series where mean-spirited humor is encouraged because it can be very cheap to produce. The mean-spirited "humor" he suffered here is not only extremely excessive, but also undeserving. This episode all but ruined the potential for Spike-centered episodes, and the lazy "humor" he suffered from here is one gigantic reason why.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

The Spike neglect/abuse. In my opinion, this is what started the Spike abuse trend. Spike was treated so poorly in this episode over what? A freaking owl. It makes the episode pretty unbearable to watch. In fact, I think I only saw it all the way once. That was all I needed.

• Brohoof 3

The mirrored praising scene. The mane six should know how that might make Spike feel. Plus it was stupid and mean-spirited on the writer's part. The who/hoo joke is also stupid

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Both Spike being the punished, despite doing noting wrong (unlike in say Just for Sidekicks or Equestria Games where he basically sealed his own fate), and the pettiness of the mirror praising scene bother me. I'm going to go with the latter, though. 

I mentioned before that portraying characters as petty really gets on my nerves, and this scene is the epitome of that. Sure, Spike didn't deserve the mean-spirited lecture from Twilight (that scene pissed me off too), but at least it didn't bring all the characters down from endearing to dickish, like fawning over an owl like it's one of their best friends did.

Sorry, this episode just is.........bad, in my opinion. I don't like much in it, AT ALL. In fact, the only part I liked was the spiked punch joke. That's a very bad sign to me. 

Edited by Dry Colt
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

The Spike neglect/abuse. In my opinion, this is what started the Spike abuse trend. Spike was treated so poorly in this episode over what? A freaking owl. It makes the episode pretty unbearable to watch. In fact, I think I only saw it all the way once. That was all I needed.

My opinion too.

Not sure if it really started the Spike abuse trend though.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
  1. Owlowiscious-I have no problem with this guy. He can be annoying sometimes but he's generally one of the funnier pets. 
  2. Spike neglect/abuse-Remember how people were not happy when that episode where Spongebob was mean to Gary aired? Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. Most of the (relatively few) Twilight hate comes from this episode, and I can see why-she's somewhat out of character here. 
  3. The mirrored praising scene with an owl they barely knew-Have a problem with this too. This is an episode where just so many characters are OOC. I know that Rarity is generous at all but I don't think she's generous enough to give Owlowiscious a brand new bow out of jewels. She would consider that hard work. The only one I think isn't OOC here is Fluttershy, who would be enthusiastic to any harmless animal. 
  4. Twilight saying Owlowiscious was her nighttime helper despite over half the episode taking place during the day time-More of a nitpick,, but yeah, that's some serious Fridge Logic. 
  5. Spike running away scene-This was the one part I really enjoyed. Though some of the 'steamy' animation in the cave bothers me a bit. If you want to see real animated steam, go to the Cave of Wonders scene in Aladdin. (I wasn't talking about that kind of steamy, by the way  :blush: )

Yeah, this isn't a episode I really liked. It had some potential, but other than that it's little more than average. 

Edited by Clarissa

(edited)

Spike always gets abused. Deal with it.

I didn't like the ponies fawning over Owliwicious, particularly Rarity giving him that bow tie, after she just gave Spike the same one. 

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Spike Abuse" "Spike Abuse" "Spike Abuse" 

Damn, if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that...I swear, man, that's literally the only time Spike is ever brought up is the old "Spike Abuse" criticism. If you're going to defend him from what you perceive to be "abuse" (which is a term that you should really look up, because I don't think being used as comic relief qualifies as "abuse." Why don't I ever hear about Pinkie abuse? Hm?) than praise him, too. Ughh. "Spike Abuse." I hate hearing that. He wasn't abused in this episode, he was jealous of her new owl and handled the negative feelings that come along with jealousy poorly >_> He shouldn't be treated as if he were as mature as the mane 6, because he isn't - he's still a child. He's not going to handle this stuff as well because he strikes me as being in that awkward preteen level of maturity. So, if he isn't as mature, which, he obviously isn't, he can't be expected to handle these things as well. Lower your expectations for his behavior, because people act like he's some sort of child prodigy who's as mature as these ponies who are running their own businesses and having their own living situations >_>

Now that I got that out of the way, it's time for my PaF :D

I picked "other." I rather enjoyed this episode, but there's one thing I think ran it's course after one time - and that's the little running gag between Spike and Owlicious "Who" "NOT WHO, (blank)" That really wasn't funny the first time, and it sort of dragged out throughout the episode. Kind of lowered the overall quality, but in terms of development for Spike, I say it was an excellent episode and I'd give it an 8/10 :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

Spike Abuse! :( He got so upset, yo. Near the end, he started thinking Twilight didn't love him anymore. That's heartbreaking. :( It also just seemed so weird and random.