You need work to get money.

college life:

Do your homework.

Go to class.

Don't wait until the last minute to sign up for classes.  :ph34r:

Ratemyprofessor.com is awesome.

• Brohoof 2

Where can one even begin?

My college experience was probably a lot different than most because I didn't go to a college with dorms and all that jazz, but it's actually a bit better because to me people are a bit more mature. I can't speak for all colleges though, because I know that when on-campus life is a lot different than off-campus life. My college had no dorms or anything, you just showed up for classes then left. It wasn't a community college either though.

Regardless, one major thing you'll notice is that you don't feel like an adult. You just are. I'm already three years into adulthood and yet I still feel like the same person. The key to being an adult is control of your emotions, responsibility, and maturity. Have those three and you should be just fine. Don't be afraid to ask people around you for help with things either, you don't just "know" how to do adult things like pay taxes, vote, and things of that nature. You've gotta ask other people and not be ashamed of your ignorance.

That's all I got for now.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So there's a fantastic youtube channel backed by the vlogbrothers called How to Adult. It covers things like asking for promotions, making friends after high school, taxes, laundry, changing tires and cooking. I wish it had been available after I graduated high school. While they don't have a huge backlog of videos, they work on it often. Go give it a look.

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/learnhowtoadult

Also, you should always carry a first aid kit with you. Always.

Edited by Troblems

Follow Troblem's example and you'll be set for life! this gal is amazing and super! (suck up I know but I've known her since before she became staff so it's okay XD) anyway, she is a great example of how to take a somewhat stresful life and still make the most of it!

Take every opportunity you can: if I could say one to myself from 10 years ago this would be it.

Don't take all the easy classes first: I was one of those kids who got straight A's in high school and passed multiple AP and honors classes by barely even trying yet there were still classes out there that turned out to be way more difficult than I ever anticipated so don't get cocky.

Save your money: slowly build up your credit through small purchases and paying off the balance as soon as possible, preferably before the interest kicks in. Try to avoid excessive debt and excessively wasteful and frivolous spending.

Learn to speak bullshit: whether you are working your way through or just working before you get the job you want there is a good chance you are going to have to put with ALOT, especially if it is anything involving customers. When you go into work you represent your company and have to play the role of the "good employee" no matter how much you may want to jam your fist down some dumbass customers throat or tell your boss to take this job and shove it.

• Brohoof 4

Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Save your money strictly. If you have to eat ramen to survive, you're going to have to eat ramen to survive. Live within your means.

Always go to the doctors if you feel ill or something. Don't live it out or walk it off. You can't press reset if something goes wrong, nor do you get any points for struggling on while feeling bad.

Learn to cook on a budget. Try and cook a large amount on a budget, that way you can eat leftovers at a later date. THE BIG FELLAH makes a large pot of curry or pasta and it's enough for two days.

Do homework and pay attention. Don't be late to classes.

Be social and make friends and acquaintances. They'll cushion the blow and provide emotional support.

Be prepared to lie and hide your true feelings. Bullshit all the time, every time. You can't stab your classmates, no matter how much they annoy you. Also, be aware that every single other human being does this. When I said make friends and acquaintances, I should add "But do so with a wary eye and sharpened knife". If necessary, use someone as a stepping block (Be prepared to kiss some ass to get places), don't become one yourself.

Nothing is what it seems. If you thought childhood was a prison, get ready to be introduced to just how much life sucks.

• Brohoof 2

Be an adult, not a kid. That means you should be professional in business related things, and self control is necessary. Save money, don't spend too much. There's a lot of other tips that'll help you.

Pay your taxes. But really, other than money management adult life is not that different. College can be fairly easy as long as you find a decent guidance councillor. Just save money, have fun, and avoid dark allyways.

• Brohoof 2

Focus on a course and take the time to explore new things! It's a wide world. And remember this (as I had learned it once and been reminded again and again), your life is always and adventure and growing experience. One time you may be in one course, another time, the course will have changed to be completely different. Plans are good, but always be ready and dynamic to embrace change and detorus. Life has a funny way of taking you in every other direction you planned, but somehow, making it all work out in the end.

Seek out people you can learn from, grow with and be positive by. Those will always be with you.

Don't.Give.Money.To.Strangers. (bums and ppl that claim to be homeless)

You will get screwed over. Don't be a doormat, don't be a bleeding heart.

I learned the hard way. Partly the reason why I am where I am today.

Don't be me.

I am a walking cautionary tale.

I'm okay with that.

Don't be me.

• Brohoof 2

Don't say to yourself "I'll start saving next month." Because it never happens. Save as much as you can. I said for 3 years I would save and I didn't, which I regret. And have fun :).

I'd say, if you're looking for a job, to find what you love to do the most. It doesn't matter about how much you will get from it, but the experiences you will come across will always be worth your while. If you get out of bed every morning and are mad because you have to go to some crappy job that you hate just because of the money? To me, that's not worth it man. Just do what you love is all what I can say. 

• Brohoof 1

My biggest tip would be:

ALWAYS be clean and tidy. Living in a house that is not clean in tidy is aweful. People will be turned off by you the moment you meet if you are not clean and smell 1/2 decent.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS ALWAYS MATTER, sad but true .

(edited)

Be considerate of your roommates. Keep your place clean and DO THE FREAKING DISHES! I'm currently having a conflict with a roommate about the dishes. Don't make rules without consulting with your other roommates first. It's very selfish and immature if you don't. Don't play your music really loud.

Keep your place clean. You'll have to do house chores to stay neat and keep your place from looking like a dump.

Only eat out occasionally. You'll waste money if you eat out all the time.

Eat healthy. Eat fast food only on rare occasions.

Do your homework and attend class. Don't overwhelm yourself with a large load of credits in one semester. You want to get the best grades you possibly can.

Always lock your windows and doors when you leave. Always lock them at night, too. That may already be obvious, but I've had roommates who leave the windows open and don't lock the doors, and that's dangerous!

Stay out of debt!

Brush and floss your teeth.

It's okay to clean a toilet with bleach. Toilet cleaners have bleach in them anyway.

Be responsible and considerate of others around you.

You won't have your parents around to tell you to do these things, so you'd better do them!

You learn things as you go.

Edited by Frosty Nerd
  • Brohoof 3

One of the posters said to do what you love to do and not to get stuck in a job that you hate, cause it's not worth it.

Ideally...I sorta agree, but practically, not so much.

I don't know what your options are, but yes, in the end you want to do something you love vs. something you hate, but if you're in my position, where jobs are scarce and their isn't much opportunity, get what you can and do what you gotta do.

Even if it's a job that you hate. You can work your way out of it. Consider it just a stepping stone.

They're are happy people who do work jobs that they hate. The do what they gotta do to get their paycheck, but find happiness in what they do in their off time, and are fulfilled that way.

I hate my job at Whataburger. It stinks. But I strive for excellence, anyways, earn my check, earn my food and bed, and find some fulfillment in life doin my thing on the forum, and giving people advice here and there.

Also with helping my aunt and cousin.

But this is just another stepping stone in life.

Do what ya gotta do.

Beats living on the streets.

So there's a fantastic youtube channel backed by the vlogbrothers called How to Adult. It covers things like asking for promotions, making friends after high school, taxes, laundry, changing tires and cooking. I wish it had been available after I graduated high school. While they don't have a huge backlog of videos, they work on it often. Go give it a look.

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/learnhowtoadult

Also, you should always carry a first aid kit with you. Always.

DFTBA

My advice is to not freak out when you feel that you are dealing with too much all at once.

• Brohoof 2

Stay out of debt as much as possible. Learn to do without. Save for the things you want. You'll need to establish credit (which will help you to get an apartment) so get one major credit card and one major retailer card.  Make sure that you have the money saved for whatever you are going to pay for with those cards.  Now, here's the "tricky" part.  Every 6 months or so, take 2-3 billing cycles to pay a larger purchase off.  Pay more than the minimum but less than the full amount.  Paying your cards off on time and in full each month sounds like the way to go, but it doesn't prove to creditors that you can manage your debt.  Being able to pay off a larger purchase on a consistent basis will be what helps your credit score.  (I've worked as a credit counselor).

Learn to cook.  Not just ramen and grilled cheese. Learn to cook a full meal (meat, veggie, starch & a dessert is nice... of course if you're a vegetarian, a meat substitute is fine).  The point is, having the ability to cook a full, balanced meal will be a skill you'll use your whole life.  Try new foods. If you don't like everything you try, that's ok. Always be willing to give something at least a little taste.

Someone else mentioned keeping your living space tidy.  Things don't have to be immaculate, but your life will be so much easier if you keep things reasonably tidy. You'll be able to find what you want when you want it, you won't waste money buying things that you already own and it's another skill that you will use your whole life. Bonus points if you clean the bathroom from time-to-time  (If I ever meet someone who cleans the bathroom, they move to the top of my "marry this person" list... probably not important to you now, may become so in the future).

Actually go to your college classes and learn something. Study. Volunteer. The more you can learn (in a broad sense) the better off and more versatile you'll be when it comes to a career.

Wait until you finish college and have traveled to get married and have kids. Experience life and get to know yourself. It will make you a better partner.  And if you decide to never get married or have kids, that's a perfectly valid choice, too.

You'll make mistakes... try to learn from them and accept that it's the process we all go through...continuously.

Oh... and always remember Wheaton's Law - "Don't be a dick"

• Brohoof 3

Don't dine on frozen waffles,canned soup,and ramen.

Trust me,you will not survive on cheap food like that.Always pay a premium for proper nutrition.Oh,and get a Crock-Pot,those things are amazing to have.