Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Rarity charges bits for her designs?

ggg-2

(edited)

What do you think? she is the element of generosity after all. how much do you think she charges for them?

Edited by ggg-2

Generosity doesn't mean blindly giving away your hard earned work like an idiot. Generosity is better defined as giving away whatever you can spare in time, stuff, whatever, to those who want or need it when you can afford to give it. In short, using your free time for others instead of yourself. Sometimes the truly generous will also gladly sacrifice even that time they need for themselves for others. But everyone needs to eat, needs to look out for themselves. Can't be generous for long if your own life is trash now can you?

Rarity is probably one of the richer of the Mane Six and has the most pull outside of Ponyville besides Twilight given that her clientele now includes known stars like Sapphire Shores. So yes, she charges. She makes dat bank. The monies. $, if you will.

• Brohoof 14

For clients yes, as she should. For friends? No. There has never been the slightest proof that she charges her friends for her gifts.

Some people seem to like the thought that Rarity is not generous, even though there is more than enough proof. Don't know why that is.

• Brohoof 8

Just because you're generous doesn't mean you have to do everything for free. Being generous means that you would do something more to be kind towards them. Perhaps doing something for a slightly lower price or giving away a 2 for 1 offer with the same quality that you've always done your work.

In the case of Rarity, she needs to have bits to maintain her boutique and to get all the linens! That being said... how DOES she get them all and still maintain her boutique...

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

What do you think? she is the element of generosity after all. And if not, how does she maintain her boutique on no income?

As stated above, being generous doesn't mean you have to do everything for free. If you expect her to give every single thing she owns, than I hate to tell you this, but your expectations are a mite bit unrealistic :D 

In the other topic you created where you accused her of living up to her element the least, I provided you a list of everything generous she's done.

Not charging bits for her designs would be ludicrous - she'd have nothing to live on. She'd be totally unable to support herself.

If you expect her to live off of nothing and give everything to satisfy your expectations of how she's supposed to live up to her element, you're sorely mistaken. That's just not even reasonable, man.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 7

Of course. She runs a business after all. You can be generous at times, but not to the point to where you run your own business into the ground

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

She still has to make a living remember. If she just gave out high end outfits that cost untold bits for nothing, then her business wouldn't have lasted a week. Rarity is fine giving out the occasion dress here and there as a gift to friends and such and that's generous enough, but I highly doubt she's going to put time and effort into a dress and not expect some kind of payment in return. Especially when a large number of her clients are more than capable of paying top dollar for the latest thing in fashion.

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't see why Rarity wouldn't charge for her designs! She has to make a living somehow.  :D

That said, I don't see she shouldn't charge when AppleJack sells apples and Pinkie Pie sells cakes for bits!

Edit: Speaking of which, I wonder how Fluttershy makes a living...

Edited by The Golden Cross

(edited)

Rarity does charge for her designs. Sometimes she has charged the rest of the mane 6, but she has given them free gifts. Like the capes in "Secret of my Excess".

Plus, her house also doubles as her shop.

Edited by PartyWithPinkie

I think she does. She is an entrepreneur after all. I don't think she charges extravagantly though, if anything, she undercharges. After all, she did make the Mane Six's dresses pro bono, and the ones for Sweetie Belle's play. (Then again, I don't think Sweetie could save up enough in a year to buy three of those and who would be so callous as to charge family members? 

krabs-loves-money-7.jpg

)

Anyway, I think Rarity is more banking on mass exposure than individual pricing. Seeing as she sees having high profile clientele and great accolades toward her work as greatly important. 

• Brohoof 1

She runs a business, so yes. How on earth would she eat, bathe, buy fabric, and live on her land? As everyone above me has said, generosity does not mean giving up everything you live on. She gives away the extra things that she doesn't need.

Just to ruffle some feathers, in the Art of the Dress, the rest of the mane six all sing, "Make sure that it stays within our budget" so presumably she was charging them at least something for those dresses.  Now we also know from other episodes that she makes her material herself and that the gems are found herself.  My guess would be that Rarity's designs, particularly a custom design like those ones are way outside the budget of the rest of the Mane 6, so she charges them a much smaller price or does it in exchange for other things like Fluttershy caring for Opal.

I would say so, after all, she does run a business selling her dresses! ^^

As for how much, I really can't say. I would guess her close friends and family members get quite the discount though! ^^

(edited)

Just to ruffle some feathers, in the Art of the Dress, the rest of the mane six all sing, "Make sure that it stays within our budget" so presumably she was charging them at least something for those dresses.

Not necessarily.

The mane6 where representing different archetypes of bad customers in the song, someone had to represent the stingy kind of customer too, but that does not mean that she charged for the dresses.

She had to keep the costs in a certain border, if someone of the mane6 demanded a dress made out of diamonds and gold-thread that would have exceeded the budget for example. Rarity had to set a maximum budget to avert becoming broke. Because even if she makes the fabric herself (i doubt that she makes all her fabric herself), she still needs thread to do it, and i doubt that the high quality stuff Rares uses is cheap. The gems she uses in her dresses are also basically money she puts in there, because gems are accepted currency in Equestria.

So, in my opinion at least, the "Make sure to stay in our budget" lines does not mean that Rares charged her friends for her dresses.

Edited by Obsidian Sky

It's pretty obvious the show will not discuss the money unless it's about Applejack. The only exception to that rule was probably Fluttershy in Putting Your Hoof down but even then it didn't seem to play a large role. Even at the end with Iron Will it's wasn't the actual issue.

But yeah - besides PYHD it was always Applejack - her reason to go the Gala, both conflicts with the Flim Flam brothers and The Last Roundup.

Well, that depends of the customer she meets during her work on her pony clothing. Her friends: she obviously makes the dresses for herself and them for free in her own time considering their friendship. For clients: it's a totally different story since they are paying for her masterpieces.

Being generous towards others is simply just doing an act of kindness towards those who are less fortunate in their spare time, should they have any. It's simply not to just blatantly give some stuff away since it also meant your free time being given to others if you want to give them some assistance or anything that they didn't ask for but can use and do something in return.

Even if Rarity gives anything to other ponies and willing to sacrifice her time for them should they need it, she has to think of herself as well so she has some restrictions and limits to her generous nature.

Well if she didn't charge before (which definitely isn't true because she does have to make a living after all) I'm sure her run in with Suri made her reconsider. As for friends and family, Ilike everyone else said, I'm sure there's some kind of discount or deal.

Well if she didn't charge before (which definitely isn't true because she does have to make a living after all) I'm sure her run in with Suri made her reconsider.

Don't forget she considered Suri as her friend, that's why she didn't ask for money.

(edited)

I model my life around being generous (I will spend $100+ on random people if I feel like it), but the instant I have taken time and effort to make something, you sure ain't walking out with that thing for free... Unless I'm feeling stupidly generous, which I have done before before. This is why I can't go into business.

Edited by Biznis Kitty

Don't forget she considered Suri as her friend, that's why she didn't ask for money.

True. Well either she hasn't learned her lesson or she has some friends that are slowly losing their money. :P