Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Good light reading books?

Adente

So I will be attending the Naval Academy this fall for college, and one issue Plebes (freshman) there face is a severe limit on outside media. No movies, music, video games, or other mediums of entertainment are allowed. Internet is strictly monitored and regulated as well. One exception is books, so I figure I'll do a lot of reading in my downtime when I'm not studying for classes, working out, or doing training.

So I guess my question is, what sorts of books would you guys suggest for light reading? I'm not looking for deep, insightful, or even intelligent books, just fun reads that will entertain me. One thing to consider is that the books should probably not be foreign or anti-US in nature, they wouldn't take kindly to that. Thanks!

I find the Skulduggery Peasant series to be quite enjoying able when looking to kill some time. They can be a little big childish at times, but fun little reads. 
You could also look into some book from Dean Koontz.if you are into "horror". His newer books are a bit meh, but the old ones are gold

a good book is "Of Mice and Men"

its quite short but very enjoyable and interesting to read, the two main characters are very likeable and it does touch various issues.

I find the Skulduggery Peasant series to be quite enjoying able when looking to kill some time. They can be a little big childish at times, but fun little reads. 
You could also look into some book from Dean Koontz.if you are into "horror". His newer books are a bit meh, but the old ones are gold

I still have a hardback copy of the first book :D

lets just say the book is very worn out :P

What kind of genre do you usually favour? If you like fantasy, I have a couple of series I can suggest which should keep you entertained for a while.

The Dragonriders of Pern: Anne McCaffrey (Series, start with Dragonflight.)

Redwall: Brian Jaques (The novels are written for younger people, but if you like ponies you'll probably like Redwall. It's basically small woodland animals wielding swords. Plenty cute, plenty action.)

His Dark Materials: Phillip Pullman (They're a touch controversial, but these books are my favourite series of all time. I don't say that lightly.)

The Chronicles Of Narnia: C.S Lewis (You don't find this and His Dark Materials together in the same list very often. Theological opposites, but equally beautiful stories.)

Non Fantasy

All Is Quiet On The Western Front: Erich Maria Remarque (War novel. I cried buckets.)

The Book Thief: Markus Zuzak (Set in WW2, from the perspective of a young German girl. I cried EVEN MORE buckets. Seriously, if nothing else, READ THIS ONE.)

• Brohoof 2

I still have a hardback copy of the first book lets just say the book is very worn out
My first one got so worn out,  I had to replace it. Its a great series, kinda underrated by alot.

My first one got so worn out,  I had to replace it. Its a great series, kinda underrated by alot.

A lot of people I know really enjoy to read the series, they've resorted to using a kindle to read it so they can keep their original version intact.

I would recommend the Percy Jackson books. There are actually two series, and they are all really good. Rick Riordan is a snarky bastard, and it is awesome. They aren' deep, necessarily, but they might teach you things. Enjoy!

• Brohoof 2

Anything written by Tom Clancy

If you like scifi with a lot of combat in it, I'd check out the Horus Heresy novels. They are set in the warhammer 40k universe, are fairly militaristic, and are a great read if you are looking to kill some time.

The sword of truth series is also nice, as every novel is around 900 pages. So if you get stuck with a book limit, a solid 900+ pages of paperback fantasy should keep you entertained. They are a bit more mature than most fantasy novels however. I'd start with the first book "Wizard's first rule" . The book is highly rated, and a great read.

Anything written by Tom Clancy

If you like scifi with a lot of combat in it, I'd check out the Horus Heresy novels. They are set in the warhammer 40k universe, are fairly militaristic, and are a great read if you are looking to kill some time.

The sword of truth series is also nice, as every novel is around 900 pages. So if you get stuck with a book limit, a solid 900+ pages of paperback fantasy should keep you entertained. They are a bit more mature than most fantasy novels however. I'd start with the first book "Wizard's first rule" . The book is highly rated, and a great read.

My dad reads Tom Clancy stuff all the time, so I'll give that a look. Also, what's the Warhammer 40k universe? 

You should read the Maze Runner series! Then we can go see the movie :)

Oh yeah, you mentioned that one to me! Would you be mad if I cheated and just watched the movie?  ;)

What kind of genre do you usually favour? If you like fantasy, I have a couple of series I can suggest which should keep you entertained for a while.

The Dragonriders of Pern: Anne McCaffrey (Series, start with Dragonflight.)

Redwall: Brian Jaques (The novels are written for younger people, but if you like ponies you'll probably like Redwall. It's basically small woodland animals wielding swords. Plenty cute, plenty action.)

His Dark Materials: Phillip Pullman (They're a touch controversial, but these books are my favourite series of all time. I don't say that lightly.)

The Chronicles Of Narnia: C.S Lewis (You don't find this and His Dark Materials together in the same list very often. Theological opposites, but equally beautiful stories.)

Non Fantasy

All Is Quiet On The Western Front: Erich Maria Remarque (War novel. I cried buckets.)

The Book Thief: Markus Zuzak (Set in WW2, from the perspective of a young German girl. I cried EVEN MORE buckets. Seriously, if nothing else, READ THIS ONE.)

I'm not a huge fantasy fan, save for Harry Potter, I usually prefer stories a bit more grounded in reality, but I think I'll give His Dark Materials a try. And also The Book Thief, since you emphasized I should read that one so much!  :)

Maybe the Thrawn trilogy of Star Wars novels? I find Grand Admiral Thrawn to be a great villain, so that might be of interest to you.

My dad reads Tom Clancy stuff all the time, so I'll give that a look. Also, what's the Warhammer 40k universe? 

Oh yeah, you mentioned that one to me! Would you be mad if I cheated and just watched the movie?  ;)

I'm not a huge fantasy fan, save for Harry Potter, I usually prefer stories a bit more grounded in reality, but I think I'll give His Dark Materials a try. And also The Book Thief, since you emphasized I should read that one so much!  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000 It is giant militarized space marines.

And if you love grounded sci fi, check out anything by Heinlein.Not only does he portray militaries perfectly, but he often does hard science fiction, using tech that can be explained in the real world.

(edited)
Oh yeah, you mentioned that one to me! Would you be mad if I cheated and just watched the movie? 

I thought my opinion was the most important :(

Edited by Mightymags

You should read the Maze Runner series! Then we can go see the movie :)

Is the maze runner really that good? I've been thinking about getting it, but I'm not too sure. I recommend the harry potter series and if you don't like magic then try the warrior cats series and if you don't like cats then try Percy Jackson. That's an excellent series that I highly recommend.

(edited)

Is the maze runner really that good? I've been thinking about getting it, but I'm not too sure. I recommend the harry potter series and if you don't like magic then try the warrior cats series and if you don't like cats then try Percy Jackson. That's an excellent series that I highly recommend.

I'm probably one of the biggest Harry Potter fans ever but I haven't read the other two. The Maze Runner is really good if you're into dystopian novels. It's not necessarily the greatest book ever but it's very entertaining and suspenseful. It's good if you just want an easy but engaging novel. If you're into fantasy books there's a really good series I got into in middle school called The Named. It's not well known but I thought it was a fantastic series. 

Edited by Mightymags