Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Foreign books

Invincible

So im just wondering, does anyone read alot of books not in their native language?

I find language a beautiful concept, especially written language. My native language is Hebrew, though i find myself often reading in English for two main reasons:

1) I find it more challenging, i learn new words, idioms or expressions every time.

2) I feel as if the author's meaning is lost if an article or a book isn't read in it's original language.

Anyone feels the same?

I read like half of "Le Petit Prince" when I was in my high school French class. It was really simple French so it wasn't very hard to understand what was going on. Kind of an odd plot... I don't even remember what it was about aside from the main character.

"Dessinez-moi un mouton!"

"'Bonjour', dit Le renard."

Edited by 95-Wolf

Being untalented and knowing only one language, the answer is no..  Though reading foreign works that have been translated…yes, of course, this is vital to reading.  And probably reading multiple translations, as well.  If that isn't vital, it's at least helpful and fun.

Everything I read is read in the original language with annotation unless it's a bilingual publication or I've been accustomed to a translation, even if I don't understand the language.  

I don't find myself reading much in English outside the internet, though. Fanfiction and the like. I'd like to read more in French, Spanish, possibly German. 

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I only buy and read english books. I dislike some grammar rules in german, makes it painful to read. And I dislike that the text on the spine is upside down, when the cover shows up. Example:

buchruecken

The reason for this is probably just "tradition". Meh.

But it doesn't matter, english books are naisu! :eager:

• Brohoof 1

For my work I have to read often English articles and part of books. In my spare time I also read English books, but most of the times non fiction books.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

I have several books in Japanese, with stories designed to be educational tools for beginners learning the language. Some of them are pretty challenging, but I’m hoping to do better when I have more time to commit to them.

• Brohoof 1

Technical books in English took me a long time to get used to. But I love reading English books if they are technical and I can learn from them.

• Brohoof 1

Had to read a few translated books for school. I can't remember all the titles but most were enjoyable, the exception being Das Parfum: Die Geschichte eines Mörders (Perfume: Story of a Murderer). It was a strange book, to say the least. :blink:

I actually did buy some mangas that were in French back when I was learning it. I did find it helpful

Might do the same for Swedish. Since I’ve still not fully learned it. (Although to be fair I’m bad at taking the time to learn it lol)

• 1 year later...