Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The sickest you've ever been to work/school.

SkyDream

"I was terribly sick, but I went anyway!"

Stories like that.

I have a fever right now, but I'm going to my local religious thing that happens every Saturday, moreso because I don't want to leave my dad hanging.  I think going with me is one of the major reasons why he goes.

Almost a year ago, I injured my eye by having my hand slip at work and poked it with my thumb preeetty hard.  I did get workman's comp, but the doctor didn't take it easily.  But there was work to do, (A lot, actually; still recovering from hurricane Sandy, and we're a Hardware store, so...)  so I kept trying to do things here and there.  Apparently that's discouraged until it heals.  Feh.

I had to go to a midterm last semester with a pretty bad fever, runny nose and scratchy, tickly throat. I had to excuse myself twice to go out in the hallway and cough so that I wouldn't be sick from suppressing coughs and sneezes. never again.....

Had a sickness, sore throat, running nose, high fever and everything . There was this material being taught in class which i knew i had to see. I felt so demoralized and bad, i'm just glad i could stay long enough in class to learn it, as it was critical later on. Rested at home the whole day afterwards.

I had ALLOT of sore throats this year and was sick for 2 weeks. at the time I felt like I would never get better.
But I couldn't miss a day of school since I had to finish all my work for the last semester AND STUDY for tests in all my subjects.
It was terrible  :okiedokielokie:

Does it count if I got the injury at school?

If so, I was concussed at school,  took the day after off, and I had to go to the hospital.

To be honest I think I could have stayed in school, as long as I had some bandages round my head. 

(edited)

I didn't really show any obvious symptoms like a runny nose or cough, but I had plugged up ears and my head was just awful. I started out strong, focusing really hard on the lesson despite how I felt. As time went on though, everything just started to fade and I spent most of the time trying not to pass out. Thankfully it was a Friday.

Edited by Celtore

I had Bronchitis and missed so much work that they said that I couldn't miss anymore unless I had a doctors note so I went in and had coughing, an insane amount of muscous lodged in my throat, sore throat and extreme fatigue. I was so weak that by the end of my shift my manager had to actually help me up off the floor. But that wasn't even the worst situation. Back in March I sprained my shin when I was working out which eventually spread to my knee. The shin pain was gone in a few days but the knee pain just kept getting worse, I didn't see a doctor because I knew they wouldn't count it as a workers comp issue like they did with my 4 other knee injuries.

After weeks or horrible agony I couldn't take it anymore and had to see the doctor, because of this complication with my insurance though I had to take one of my weeks of vacation in order to wait for my insurance to kick back in so I could see the doctor. It has been since late March and I am still recovering from this injury though the good news is when I see the doctor on the 23rd I will most likely be ready to go back.

I once developed a really bad chest infection on the last day of a week off work. There had been people who'd extended their holiday time by pulling sickies, so I went to work cuz I was scared to be thought one of them. I was really ill all day and eventually coughed so much that I coughed up blood. My manager made me go home, and my mum took me to the doctor (I can't drive and at the time, my doctor's surgery was in the next town to where I lived). I probably shouldn't have gone in, but I didn't want to be labled a skiver.

(edited)

Went to work with a punctured lung... for 3 weeks.

I should elaborate on this. I had what is called spontaneous pneumothorax, which means my lung "popped a hole in itself" without any external trauma. Unless sitting in a couch can be considered trauma...

Anyways, walking home that day was like walking with a twisting knife blade in my back. Holy crap it hurt. But since I am so bloody naïve, I shrugged and thought "meh, it will pass". Sure enough, it got better. Can't remember exactly how things developed, but I went to the doctor and he thought it was an infection, so he gave me some anti-inflammatory pills and sent me home. Three weeks later I returned, and he instead sent me to the x-rays.

"Whoops, son, you've got a hole in yer lung! That's not good."

So I get sent to the ER, where they look at my x-rays and say,

"Well, not much we can do now, come back in a few days and we'll take another look."

Seems it was healing itself, so I only had to return a few times for check-ups.

Long story short, it is a condition that tall, skinny males of that age can contract. I was lucky they didn't have to stick a tube in my chest and vacuum out the air pocket.

Oh, human body, you so random.

Edited by Larsurus

The sickest I have been...

Helping my father in 100 degree weather on construction jobs with a fever of 103... Good thing is, it sweated out within the hour.

Way back when I was in third grade, I had a MASSIVE headache. :blush:   It was the worst thing I've ever felt. Also there was this one time I had a bucking cold for 3 WEEKS! :o  I swear, I have a terrible immune system.  ^_^

Gods...

About a month before I got sick, at my highschool, a special field trip was going to be held for me and my art class to head to Houston TX, to see the art museme for a special premire of DaVinci's Monalissa, she was only going to be there for that one short week due to her orginal mesuem was gonig through some renervastions, in NY NY. I paid for the trip and everything, I dared not miss it! Leonardo was my favorite artiest of all time.

A week before the trip, I came down with the flu, hard. I had a 103F, I could barely eat or drink, was just sick as a dog. On the day of the trip, my temp went down to a 99F which is borderline still fairly sick, but I felt it would go down and i was well enough to go. I drove myself up to the school. I got my tail on the bus...and then it hit hit me...I became delierious...the bus was spinning, I felt like I was gonna puke. My teacher came in and asked "Hey weren't you sick with the flu?"

"No no...I'm fine...I'm...*blacks out for 5 seconds* ...gah? I'm fine!"

"*touches my head GAH Em you are not fine!" said Teacher. "Go home you're not coming...You'll get everyone else sick."

And that was that...my only chance to see the Monalissa...gone...

One time I went to school, and I felt horrible the entire day. I had a migraine, and I felt really weak. I decided not to go to the nurse. About an hour after I got home from school I proceeded to vomit like crazy. That wasn't a very fun day.

I had scarlet fever when I was like 6. Went to school, but that was before we found out what it was. After we did find out, of course I stayed home.

Alright, it's my freshman year and on the last day of spring exams I am sick as a dog. Just came really suddenly; headache, stomach ache, exhausted, everything hurt that day. Still has to go cause I had to write an essay for English and take my last exams, but I nearly fell over a few time, barely made it through the day.

I remember in 7th grade, I was so sick I missed a week of school before. I think I had a really high fever, felt unstable on my feet, and vomiting. Around 5th grade, just shortly into the summer, I got the chicken pox, the pro was Since school ended, I won't miss out on school work, the con was it made the first few months not fun and itchy.

I'm a big baby when it comes to being sick or even feeling remotely sick.

If I have even a slight stomach pain, I will not go to school or work.

In high school, I missed more than 45 days my junior year. I wasn't physically ill, though. I was actually in the psych ward.

... Not fun.

Probably the time I had an ulcer.... To give you an accurate description of what it is like to have an ulcer, imagine a match being lit inside your stomach and touching the inner wall, never going out, and then imagine someone is kicking you in the stomach at the same time over and over again. On top of that, I was vomiting greenish yellow fluid every hour or so, and I dared not eat a thing... Went to school like that for 3 days before I got to go to the doctor.... I was prescribed a pain killer and an obscure medication i don't remember the name of.... Went back to school on Friday, skipped out of last hour to go home and curl up into a ball, because of course it got worse before the meds could take effect... Started vomiting blood that night, and finally on Saturday morning it started getting better.... A week later I was back to my chipper self...... I wouldn't recommend it.....

Randomly at my food service job I started to feel off. I felt a little clammy and dizzy so I asked to take a break in the back. Thankfully the only coworker at the time who wasn't a jerk was the one working with me, so he told me to go ahead, take a bottle of water and a pastry from our stock and come back when I felt better. I started to get cold sweats, blurry vision, lightheadedness, and eventually I passed out  in the back for a few seconds and ended up on the floor on the phone with my mom crying in confusion.

Thank God I was with not-jerk coworker and he let me go home (he didn't know I passed out until the day after) I was on the phone with my mom the whole time I was walking to the train station and I had to stop a few times from dizziness.

The diagnosis? Blood sugar crash. You'd think working in an ice cream store that lets the employees have free sweets all the time would prevent that.

I always refused to miss school unless I was physically unable to go.  I hated missing school simply because I hated school.  A lot of kids jump at the chance to stay home, but you're just going to have to make up the work!  That means it will be way harder when you get back.  I hated falling behind.  It was nightmarish to me, so I would drag myself to school no matter how bad I felt.  Unwise, as you heal faster if you rest, and you risk infecting others.  I never missed a day of high school, and I only missed one day of jr. high.  I was deathly ill, but I dragged myself out the door anyway.  On my way to the car, I collapsed, dragged myself back inside on my hands and knees, threw up, and went back to bed.  And that was actually the last time I ever vomitted as well.  That would be...let's see...about 16 years ago.

I had to leave work early one day because I got my imaginary stomach pain.  This is a phenomenon I get every so often.  I will be incapacitated suddenly by a stabbing stomach pain, which is alleviated by lying on my right side.  The pain will linger for anywhere from a couple hours to around 12 hours, then it will vanish as inexplicably as it began, with no trace that it was ever there.  There's nothing physically wrong--it's purely mental.  It seems to be a manifestation of pent up stress.  I used to get it about 3 times a year during school.  During high school, I got it on Thanksgiving Day four years in a row.  It became like some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy/power of suggestion phenomenon.  After high school, I stopped getting it for a long time.  Then I got it that one day at work, presumably because I really hated the job and felt very nervous and stressed out by it.  I haven't got the pain for a few years now, so that's nice.  But I'm also a worthless deadbeat, so...