movies/tv Opinions on Anime

Just like My little Pony, Anime has its own massive and loyal fanbase, and I count myself among those ranks. Actually anime is one of the the reasons I got into My little Pony, because it is clearly inspired by the Moe' style of animation and character design:

Big eyes

Heads disproportionate to their bodies

soft color palate 

A range of archetypal personalities including;

-Yandere; Seemingly soft and shy they have a tough inside and can grow violent when emotionally hurt or rejected by the object of their affection.

tumblr_n5lscwvTXZ1twbm33o1_500.gif

Genki; Highly energetic and positive, they seek to make their friends happy though they can be a bit insensitive at times 

pinkie_pie_3_by_empty_10-d5xbsgk.png

Kuudere: Logical, seemingly emotionless, has a hard time expressing themselves, blunt with opinions, and more friendly with people they know in private

maud_pie_by_karzahnii-d7aawx3.png

I could go on and on

So even if your not a fan of anime per say, anime helped shape the show you like now. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

I used to watch Digimon and Pokemon a lot before. I'm waiting to watch the new series of Digimon soon when it comes.

I also enjoy Naruto, Dragonball and Full Metal Alchemist. I recently discovered InuYasha and Casshern Sins.

I used to like anime when I was younger. The Soul Society Arc of Bleach was absolutely perfect.

But I don't watch them anymore, I prefer cartoons now.

Edited by Blobulle

I only really watch anime from time to time, since it's usually hard for one to catch my interest.

The good ones can be pretty hard to find, but it's easier when it's a feature film. Usually I like to see the ones with a great story, excellent characters, and an art style that really catches my eye. Ones that are just stupid fun are nice too.

Not really the ones that are overdramatic, trashed with fanservice, use Kawaii desu onii-chan crap way too often (like high pitched voices that make your ears bleed), or just being plain stupid (in a bad way).

I could possibly never see myself being an otaku, since stuff like collecting toys and posters of j-pop aren't my thing (just using examples).

Edited by Mr. Blue
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I made a post here awhile back on how I didn't like anime, but my opinion has changed slightly. Awhile back I kept hearing about this show called Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Everyone kept saying it was really good, so being the curious person I am, I watched the 1st episode. At first I was like 'meh' because it seemed like one of those shows about kids going to school. But as I watched the rest of the series, I fell in love with the characters and the amazing storyline. I've watched very few animes; and out of all the ones I watched my favorite is Madoka Magica. I love every single character in the show (yes, even Kyubey). So now my opinion on anime is neutral. :P

Me? I love anime! The anime fandom/community? Not so much.. I've seen a lot of gross stuff from the anime community, including racism, discrimination, fetishization, etc.

Perfect examples are people who think that Japan is exactly like anime, and those who're proclaimed "otukas" and "weeaboos". (Yes, calling yourself those is racist, fetish, and gross.) Also I've just seen a lot of nsfw of uh.. Lil cat girls and omg its just sooo cringy!

My face anime regardless of that short rant, is primarily Ouran High School Host Club. Haruhi is a precious transgender baby, she must be protected at all costs.

I think it's a unique and entertaining market I'm happy to be a fan of.... But I hate how weaboos constantly put it on a pedestal claiming how "superior" it is to western animation, and how western cartoons "have no story" when the existence of Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, any action/superhero cartoon, even PONIES say otherwise. I understand preference and that's fine, but don't try and make it seem like anime is so "mature" and "sophisticated" when there's just as much kids stuff in japan as there is here. Hell, most of the popular shonen like Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon Ball, and Naruto are for kids in japan.

I wouldn't particularly call myself an Otaku, but I do love anime. The last anime series that I watched through was Gurren Lagann & it is up there tied with FLCL as one of my favorites. I have so many anime backlogged on my list that I want to watch in the future that it isn't even funny. 

I love anime for just the sheer amount of creativity and talent that is put into each series. Japanese animation is just beautiful and outshines most in my opinion. 

(edited)

I used to like it. Now I really don't, except a few anime that I find unique, awesome, funny, or cute. Mostly slice of life anime do it for me. But no, I'm not an anime fan anymore. Needless to say, I don't like most anime today because it's nothing but sex appeal, or pure angst written all over it...or tries to hard to be insane or intense...

Edited by Mellifluous

I really like anime, though I got into it probably later than lots of people I seemed to be called an otaku and on the occasion a weeaboo. Over all I think theres lots of anime that are awesome, right now the one I'm most into is Fairy Tail or AoT

(edited)

I just watched my first anime right now, and I don't really think I can find myself too crazy about it. I mean, the way the characters talk and the way their emotions are portrayed... it's a bit over the top.

Other than that, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is a good anime (my first anime too :P). Probably because I love classical music so much and I can feel for Kosei a lot.

Edited by Pony On The Shore

I love the animation, and the style, of anime. I have no problem with it. At the same time, I like western cartoons. This is why it's hard for me to understand it when people complain so thoroughly over the animation quality. It seems a bit picky to me. Maybe older people have a hard time with it, since they're so accustomed to their own animation tradition.  

It's mainly less to do with superficial reasons like "choppiness" and more to do with the limitations that come with the package of producing the low-budget minimalistic/limited style of animation that anime utilizes. The minimalized amount of movement prevents the use of unique character acting, gestures, mannerisms and more complex animation that gives an animated character more personality and makes them more alive.

Anime usually isn't too terribly hindered by such a loss(not to mention there's the upside of having more detailed and shaded art since there's less animation to work on) but it's understandable why the loss of that complexity turns away some people. They're not looking for visual candy, but that subtle layer of depth that makes an animated character feel even more "complete" and "alive."

I never expected to see so many anime haters! I happen to love it though ^^ When I was very young I never liked anime. I thought it was way too violent, and it still is! There are only a few selected anime that I can watch- but ones like Attack On Titan are way too violent for me. I won't try playing Mrs.Cool- I'm really more of an innocent girl. Though the style has always captured my heart. For me- the one word for it is- captivating. Truly captivating. Though there are few that are innocwnt wnough for me, I am obsessed with the style. I have always imagined truly breath taking visions in my head, one of an anime girl with long blue hair and dark eyes wearing a fancy white coat in a mystical forest alone. The light streaming through the trees, the way the setting is perfectly arranged just gives the whole vision more color. Anime- when you can feel the inspiration, everything fits. So mainly, I'd say I've never been too into much of the anime fandoms; rather, the style itself. In my eyes, it gives everything more color. Personalities seem to stand out for me. The whole picture flows to create something epic. However, that's just me. I fully understand not liking anime or the style, because we all have our tastes c: I'm just explaining what I feel when I think of anime.

I never expected to see so many anime haters! I happen to love it though ^^ When I was very young I never liked anime. I thought it was way too violent, and it still is! There are only a few selected anime that I can watch- but ones like Attack On Titan are way too violent for me. I won't try playing Mrs.Cool- I'm really more of an innocent girl. Though the style has always captured my heart. For me- the one word for it is- captivating. Truly captivating. Though there are few that are innocwnt wnough for me, I am obsessed with the style. I have always imagined truly breath taking visions in my head, one of an anime girl with long blue hair and dark eyes wearing a fancy white coat in a mystical forest alone. The light streaming through the trees, the way the setting is perfectly arranged just gives the whole vision more color. Anime- when you can feel the inspiration, everything fits. So mainly, I'd say I've never been too into much of the anime fandoms; rather, the style itself. In my eyes, it gives everything more color. Personalities seem to stand out for me. The whole picture flows to create something epic. However, that's just me. I fully understand not liking anime or the style, because we all have our tastes c: I'm just explaining what I feel when I think of anime.

That's quite poetic. As an anime fan myself, I LOVE anime and can watch several at the same time...not literally, but you know what I mean.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Never was into it.

Never will be.

What can I say?

It's just not my thing.

It was never my thing to begin with.

In the past I've run into numerous hardcore anime fans who think I need a "reason" to dislike anime.

I don't need a reason to not like anime.

That's like asking someone why their favorite color is green instead of red.

Of course these conversations almost always lead to unnecessary heated debates.

It's quite unfortunate indeed.

The most basic answer I can come up with for my reason to dislike the cartoon style is because I just don't like the way it looks.

I don't hate anime.

I just dislike it.

And I'm just annoyed at some the rabid fans I run into once and a while.

Edited by Commander Shepard

It's certainly....interesting ^_^

Only anime I got into was Higurashi, and that's only because I had read the manga previously with a friend. I want to watch Hetalia since I also read part of the manga, but besides that I don't plan to venture into any anime I'm not already familiar with. Just not my type of entertainment :P