Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Casual stroll

Blitz Boom

@Blitz Boom

On 2023-04-10 at 5:52 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"Maybe they think I were dangerous, like you did, and wanted to keep me away from the foals?"

“That is a fair thought. Maybe the creatures outside aren’t all monstrous, even if they can be rather scary. It is as you say, they are looking after their young just as much as they are concerned for their own safety. If that is what they are, then maybe I am not so different from them...”

"True. We’ve met some in our time away from the village, and there are other creatures who are curious of us like you are of them."

This was a sobering lesson that constantly reminded the siblings of how much they’d learned ever since their exile. They may have survived on their own, but only through meeting and interacting with other creatures did they find some semblance of learning about ponies, changelings, and even Ki’Nathar. Looking back on their exile, the two may be more inclined to believe they benefitted from it in some manner, though it wouldn’t erase any of their harsher memories. Some wounds take more than just time to heal, and the longma siblings still carried some years-old scars. As for Horu, he’d quietly wonder to himself about his words and whether there was more to the elders’ teachings about outsiders. If Omen showed him how wrong they could be, what else was there for him to know and how would the others react to their fallibility?

"I see many used, but I am not sure why they are used. I think they work better on some things than others? Diamonds I see used on glass, and dark wood. Metal is everywhere, and used for many things. Stone I have not seen ion a long time. Except for the ones you were using. Also in glass boxes, in places with many other things. The ponies call them museums. It is filled with old things.

I know where to find diamonds. I can take something, and bring it back sometimes, so you can see it yourself? Dragons eat them, but I do not think it is meant to be food for other species. I can not chew it. But it might be good for you to tools? We will see, yes?"

“I learned that some materials can work better at carving or chopping or whatever you need a tool to do. However, I do not know much beyond regular wood and stone tools, so things like those you mentioned, diamonds and metal, they’re very much new to me. Other woodworkers will look down on me for seeing or knowing more than what we know. Maybe it gives me an advantage over them, but I’d still love to see them whenever you can bring them… only if you can spare the time, of course.”

Admittedly, this was a rather touchy topic among the woodworkers of the villages, as they are a collective that cooperates as much as they compete with each other. Those that had more knowledge were those that had more experience, and having new ideas come in would upend the hierarchy built with them at the top. It was understandable for Horu to keep rather quiet about this, as he wasn’t sure if being open about learning from someone that isn’t an experienced woodworker would leave him stripped of his job. 

That thought wasn’t too high on his list of worries for now, as he turned back to the sights near the school. This time, it appears one of the little foals noticed him, which led to an unexpected reaction. This one took the sudden appearance rather well, and while Horu took a step back in surprise, he first smiled and bowed, as expected of his traditions, though he’d try to mimic the foal’s movements. Taking one claw up in the air, he’d wave it side to side in an awkward attempt to see if this form of communication was more preferable and awaited a response. 

"Mother is over there, in the other direction of the gate. She has come out to be with her children."

Strangely enough, the woodworker was too preoccupied with his attempts at nonverbal communication with the foal on the other side of the gate that he didn’t pay attention to Omen’s and Sen’s conversation. Meanwhile, Sen breathed in relief that Mother was fine. Then again, given the kind of power she possesses, she was definitely more capable of defending herself and her children.

“That’s good. I just remembered that we have something we wanted to give to her.”

Once a good deal of time had passed and he had lots to see, Horu would turn to Omen and ask her to seal the gate. Apart from the unconventional learning experience and oddities with this Ki’Nathar, the woodworker was rather pleased with their encounter. There’d still be time left in the day for him to get back to work, but he’d be the first to admit that he’d love to take a few moments from his tasks to learn more from her. Likewise, the siblings were just as pleased with how things turned out, and this positive interaction could carry over to the other two recipients of the tools Lin brought.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

Not the outcome the detective was expecting to happen.  A sentient talking tree perhaps.  A spirit living in a tree more likely considering the location here in Harrowmark.  Still possibilities though, all things considered.  For it to blossom and sprout so rapidly and in mere moments produce this small nature wolf pup from a vine.  Nature was its own kind of magic and not as beholden to the rigidity of the arcane.  Still just as visible as any of the more intricate tapestries, but in a more fluid language of the primal realm.

Rising had seen the magics that made up Timber Wolves from his own land, and he could say they were not a match for what attempted to stand before the gathered group.  Nor were they of the magics that made up the wicker beasts he'd been recently introduced to.  This were something else.  The list of growing creatures Rising had to know about this land kept getting bigger and bigger.

"The pup holds no more magic than the rest of us, give or take," he informed the Prince.  Granted that didn't mean a whole lot.  One's means to have magical power does not always equate to one's ability to wield it.  Enough to keep an eye on of course.  "The tree itself holds vast power, however.  I can see the dark magic it pulls from the land and its roots reach beyond miles," the detective offered more.  As for a translator, the Prince and guards were more experts in that regard.  It wasn't likely to be one the Equestrians would know.  The canine seemed more drawn to its fellow canines in the gathered diamond dogs, but they appeared equally as unsure.  Rising could learn a language quickly, but that relied on his perfect memory to always recall translated words and/or language rules.  Here, he had nothing to work with.  Dawn picked up on his line of thought, "I also need a point of reference for my translation spell," she shot down the rest of that idea.  "A translator will need to come from this land," Dawn concluded.

"I'm not seeing a connection between the tree and the pup.  I should be able to put the tree back to sleep without affecting the pup," Rising offered the Prince the option.  Besides the spectacle displayed earlier, the tree itself didn't seem active anymore.

• Brohoof 1

@Rising Dusk

Necrotic gazed at the tree, and at the pup alike. The latter did not seem to know what to expect from him. Gazed at him with a weary, confused glance. Not that afraid though... What a peculiar creature. But at least from what Rising said, seemingly harmless. Or at least no more dangerous than any of them.

His gaze would end landing on the tree for the most part though, as he pondered a few things. Decisions with consequences, potential issues, explanations needing to be given to the citizenry...

"...It depends on if the tree is a danger. If it is not an active source of harm, I would think it best to simply let it be. I'd need to address the citizens, in easing their concerns regarding it, yet... It is beautiful."

Perhaps his views were different from that of Equestria, but peculiar as this seemed, it were a lovely, lively tree to gaze upon. An ancient relic of their nation, now awakened and flourishing with elegant silver, rising above a base as dark as night. It felt... Symbolic in a way, he supposed were a way to put it.

"Furthermore, whomever, or whatever this little one might be, she has a connection to this tree. If not magically, or physically, then at least historically. I think it a poor show of faith, if we suppress it again, unless needed.

She has a story to tell, and yet we cannot listen... Captain?"

Gerthrude focused on the prince.

"Please send one of your pack to the castle. I believe we'll need the assistance of the head librarian. And if you would please, make a perimitter around the tree, and the pup. I will address those who have not left for the festivities, to ensure there is no beginning panic, or too severe rumor mongering."

"As you command. Hayze? Be on your way. You seem to know the most, and the head librarian is going to need all the information he can get.

Jackal, Hensworth, you ensure the safety of our guests. The rest of you go keep the prince guarded. I will handle the perimitter."

The various members of her pack nodded, and did as they were told, with Hayze having left before she even finished. He knew she had addressed him first, with that in mind, so he'd have rushed over to a nearby house, scaled it, and now were making his way back to the castle, jumping over the rooftops. Perhaps not the most elegant of solutions, but it had to go fast, and with all the creatures in town for the festival, the streets would be slower.

The others however, split into two groups, with one going over to the prince, and the two largest and meanest looking of her pack, going over to Rising and his family.

As this went on, the pup would remain near the tree, and watched them, with no indication that she wished to move away from it currently. She tried saying more, but it appeared she were beginning to understand that none of them grasped her words.

The perimeter around the tree would be rather large, but it seemed that Gerthrude had a plan for this. Yet before she would enact it, she'd turn, and knelt down before Rising, so that she might be closer to his height.

"Sir Dusk. Are things stable enough for us to proceed, or do you have concerns? If not, can I trust you to interfere, if things change?"

===================================================================================

@EQ_Theta

On 2023-04-11 at 5:46 PM, EQ_Theta said:

“That is a fair thought. Maybe the creatures outside aren’t all monstrous, even if they can be rather scary. It is as you say, they are looking after their young just as much as they are concerned for their own safety. If that is what they are, then maybe I am not so different from them...”

"True. We’ve met some in our time away from the village, and there are other creatures who are curious of us like you are of them."

"Mother says she is concerned about us too, when we leave with our masters. Most do not understand why at first, or what it means. But maybe it is something that many think of their children?"

Most, but not all. She recalled some animals she had seen, that ate their own children, or constantly fought with them. Dragons too, in some remote, far off place, that had not seemed nice, nor had anyone open for talking. She had not stayed there for long. But a lot seemed to hurdle around their young, when someone like her came around. She had never thought of it in the sense of a mother being overprotective though. She just thought that it were because they thought she were going to do something, and then let her thoughts go down that route, rather than thinking of that side of things. There were much she could think of later, where keeping this in mind, would be good and informative.

“I learned that some materials can work better at carving or chopping or whatever you need a tool to do. However, I do not know much beyond regular wood and stone tools, so things like those you mentioned, diamonds and metal, they’re very much new to me. Other woodworkers will look down on me for seeing or knowing more than what we know. Maybe it gives me an advantage over them, but I’d still love to see them whenever you can bring them… only if you can spare the time, of course.”

"I have time. I will look around for things later, when there is nothing else to do.

You sleep when the sun is down, yes? So I should come only when the sun is up? I do not sleep, but I think I understand it right, that there are those who are awake when the sun is up, and sleep when it is down.

I can find you easier, if I have your scent. May I sniff you?"

Perhaps a little different from how Sen and Lin had wanted her to do, when they had informed her that she were to ask before she got the scent of others. but at least she had asked this time, so she assumed that that were good, and showed that she were listening. And if she were allowed to, she'd just go near Horu, and have a sniff in the air around him a few times. That would be all, and then until hed die or something peculiar would happen, she'd be able to track him anywhere, if needed. She were unsure if she should tell him that though. Others had begun to seem odd, when she had said that.

"I do not understand though, why the others would not want you to have better tools. They can get some too, yes? I can bring a lot of diamond, so you can share it with them too. It is shiny. Maybe they will like that."

That thought wasn’t too high on his list of worries for now, as he turned back to the sights near the school. This time, it appears one of the little foals noticed him, which led to an unexpected reaction. This one took the sudden appearance rather well, and while Horu took a step back in surprise, he first smiled and bowed, as expected of his traditions, though he’d try to mimic the foal’s movements. Taking one claw up in the air, he’d wave it side to side in an awkward attempt to see if this form of communication was more preferable and awaited a response. 

The foal were ecstatic, as the other one from the other side of that hole, were waving back at him. A little oddly maybe, but that were a wave! That were definitely a wave. And just look at those pretty claws!

The foal in turn, would try and bow like Horu had done to him, although it were a bit rushed and the foals glasses nearly fell off as he did that, causing him to scramble a bit, to push them back up his face again.

The foal would get closer after that, to the odd gate. He'd halt, then look around, and after being fairly sure that he weren't being watched too closely, he'd unfold his wings, and flutter up closer to the gate, though he didn't go through it. He just sat on a branch not far from the opening in the tree, and looked closer, with big, curious eyes. The branch seemed to hold his weight fine, so that was good. He didn't say something yet though. He wasn't sure if those others could hear him, on the other side of the strange hole in the tree. So he'd just lift a hoof to wave again. He'd try bowing, but he'd fall out of the tree if he tried, and maybe crack his glasses. Best not to try that.

“That’s good. I just remembered that we have something we wanted to give to her.”

"She is there. You can go and do that now then, yes?"

In case Horu would ask Omen to close the gate as the foal got up in the tree, Omen would get closer to the gate, then pop her head through to say something to the foal first.

"Hello. We were showing him ponies."

Something that'd make him fall back in surprise, and almost crash down towards the ground, but Omen's tongue were faster, and grabbed hold of his front hoof, helping him back on the branch in a good sitting position again. She'd then retract her head, and close the gate behind her.

This would of course, not happen, if Horu did not ask. With the foal approaching, he might get curious, and try communications.

As for Mother, she would bite notice in them finally, and raise one hand in greeting towards them briefly, along with sending them a warm smile. Yet it would not last, as there were many children here, who wished for her attention. Still, she thought it best to acknowledge them. If they wished to approach, then they were welcome to do so, but she assumed if they kept their distance, that they had other things to do, and it were not for her to interrupt that.

======================================================================

@Kujamih @Catpone Cerberus

On 2023-04-10 at 11:32 AM, Catpone Cerberus said:

"I can imagine how weird that must have been" Chega stated in friendly manner, though it was actually a lie, kinda, she could in fact believe it was weird, obviously, but she couldn't really imagine it, she couldn't imagine what it would be like to be pulled in new environment and grow new limbs, sure she had come to the surface, which was very different to what she had grown up in, but it wasn't quite on the same level as Shark's situation.

Chega just nodded to Shark's question on if she could tell more sometime, she was happy to, she loved telling stories, but now wasn't the time for obvious resons.

"Very, very special, this dry place. Many new things. Much friends say, I can not bite. Still learning what is food, and not-food. Friends are smart. I want to be smart too, so Shark listen. Not always get what friends mean, but I try."

Shark were thrilled. Such good ones these two. A happy, nice couple, of brains and big, strong muscle. And they were talking to her! One were even a great hunter too. She hoped they'd like to talk many times, other times too. They would be great friends, that she could learn lots and lots from. Hopefully she would see a lot more of them, and could learn more stuff, once all this important stuff had happened. Which involved some sort of bad thing, going into friends. She did not grasp it fully, but it seemed really bad. More bad than the frog invasion.

"And don't worry, I'm not expecting you to know the answers, I'm simply sharing my thoughts to inspire more thoughts, more heads bring better ideas." she wasn't expert on this topic, after all, this was the first time she had heard of Onis, her conclusions were based on things she did know, and she fully acknowledged that she could be wrong.

While Shark had her moment with her new companions, the kits were listening to what were told them. It were true that what they had said, might not make a lot of sense, but it really were just ideas that they had. They knew as little that were actually useful, as Sheska did. Maybe even less, as the kobold seemed older and wiser than them, and as such, might have seen enough to at least know something that would help against this general sort of thing. All Zhing and Hachi had, were an idea of what they might be against, and then essentially a plan, that boiled down to *Call the adults*.

"We understand. We're just trying to come up with ideas."

"Hopefully the elders can sort this out, but it doesn't hurt having an open talk about things. We could accidentally fall over something smart, by something someone else said."

"An open forum discussion. We have a lot of those in our school, back in Neighpon. The teachers think it is important that we learn from one another too, and not just them."

"I will come with you." Trox stated, picking up the 'grenades' he had build for Sheska and him, strapping then on the strap he had made for himself, and giving half to Sheska, who did the same, he also grabbed the shield from the weapons Harpoon had brought, leaving two broadswords, one short sword and the lance for the taking if anyone else needed a weapon, he put the shield on his back "I didn't carry you out of that prison just for you to die without me." Sheska responded to it with a language the others couldn't understand. 

Neither of the kits would take a weapon. None of them were trained hunters, or guards. They were likely to hurt themselves with these things, rather than be of any help. They'd rely on being hard to catch, and their magic, in case something were to happen. Much the same way that most kits were trained to do, as running off and hiding, were always more preferable than to potentially get overconfident and killed. There were no reason to die meaninglessly. Wasn't like the kitsune were a global race like the equines were. They did not have countless numbers, where they could just lose tens of thousands of them, and still recuperate easily. They had fewer kits than the equines had foals on average, and only had kits every few years, rather than just whenever. That were one of the reasons why twins were seen as a good sign, and why there were actual stories and legends, regarding Kunu-Zho. A war hero with plenty of reasons to speak of her, but also one of the extremely few to birth 4 kits, and more miraculously, have them all survive to adulthood, and be healthy, prominent kitsune of their own. She were seen as an important ancestor, symbolizing fertility and justice. Whenever she showed for the yearly night, where spirits wandered their village, all bowed deeply before her, and prayed silently that she might bless their families with plentiful kits.

It were widely regarded, that those she blessed, were more likely to have more cycles where they could have kits, as well as twins, or even triplets. Yet her blessings were limited in number, as it taxed her spirit, so she tended to only mark those who she believed were truly devoted to family, and would do what were right in their life. Sometimes, that meant that years, or even decades could pass, without a single blessing given. Other times, she would be pleased with what she saw, and give so much of herself in a single year, that she dwindled to near nothing.

Elder Tzuna, were blessed by the spirit in her youth, and had kits until two seasons past, which were unusual to put it mildly.

"We're not trained fighters. We're tricksters."

"If something happens, we'll help in our own way."

Shark's dilemma was noticed, but not directly addressed, as instead Sear spoke to everyone "We two will stay here, I'm not that experienced with magical beings, and it sounds like coming would only put Chega in unnecessary harms way, since we are not the main target, I know that you kobolds..." "We agree, she is not a fighter, not here or in our world." "Are you sure? I can.." "No Chega, I know you want to help too, but we have lost you once already, besides, if something happens to you, who's gonna sing about us?" Trox said the last part in almost teasing manner, Chega opened her mouth like she was going to argue, but then smiled "You know me too well." "That's settled then, everyone ready?"

On 2023-04-11 at 11:14 PM, Kujamih said:

LIght would pat Sharks head and smile.

"We have to take care of the kits." 

(Shark dragged him around, then got confused and let go)

Shark's head were still hurting, from all this thinking. It were so much easier before, when a lot of her thoughts came down to having to find something to eat, and then chase it. It was a very simple life. Life up here, in the dry place? Very different. A lot of thinking over many, many things to do here, and this one had been a bit too hard in the moment. It seemed though, that the decision had been made by others, and sadly, her new friends were gonna stay here. Shark looked openly sad about that, but it sounded like they preferred that. And Sear were here. They'd be safe.

"Okay, then we go too. Help fluffy ones. See friends other time, yes? Shark want to speak lots with you, have good hunts and hear... Sooo-ng. Song. Shark want to hear what song is. Words in head, says it is something pretty.

Be safe, new friends."

Shark would grin widely at the two, trying to chase away the sadness from her head. These two would be fine. Nothing to worry about, yes? She would see her new friends again later. If they wanted to be friends? She did not think about that, for even a moment.  It were still a new concept, that she approached with little restraint, and mostly a lot of enthusiasm.

Shark would walk over, not grabbing hold of Light this time, and then stand over at the others, and look at Sheska. She seemed to be the leader, so they'd follow her then, yes?

"Shark is ready."

The kits would come after, and confirm they were ready too. Light might want to direct them out in front here though, as he knew the path to the school well, and were the most normal of them. It'd likely be good if he were the one in the front, or at least stood visibly, to ease things. Tensions were a bit high in the town right now.

=====================================================================

@Catpone Cerberus

"Look, I-"

She interrupted herself, as the two new ones arrived, and she prepared to having to show them a lesson too, but when they saw Ruby in her true form, they flew off rather fast. They knew better, than to mess with large dragons. Small ones like Leviathan were different, but this one were too large. Their stingers and claws, would not get through the dragons scales. Nor would their teeth.

They did not pick up the two other ones, on the way out. If they lived, they knew where to go. If they did not, then tough luck for them. These things were nasty, even to their own kind, and had proven irritatingly, surprisingly hard to actually be rid off. The leading theory being that they came from some sort of unknown location, where a prime hive of sorts were, but no one had been able to follow a trail back. It were all legends and speculation, from folks wanting to try and make some sense to tese overgrown pests.

As they did leave, Leviathan would get a look at the aftermath of what she had done, and would awkwardly put her hand behind her head, and rub the back of it, with a sheepish grin on her face.

"I uhm... Might have gone a little overboard, I guess."

She'd try and calm herself down, with a few deep breaths before going on. She had to try and be rational, and thoughtful here, and not... This. This wasn't how she were supposed to be. It were overly emotional, unstable, and it cost her so much magic, that the backlash of it were already starting to be felt in her. Urgh. It were way too early in the day to feel this fatigued...

When she felt she were more in control of herself, she'd return to look up at Ruby, though she wouldn't say something for a few seconds. Leviathan knew what it were the younger dragoness looked like well by now, but seeing her still, change from that feeble little shape, to this were a little breathtaking at times. Sue were a stunning example of what others thought about, when they heard the word *Dragon*. Not someone slim and meddling like Leviathan, but rather this strong, imposing presence, that Ruby had for her.

Dimma had thought that Leviathan would end up a lot like that, after she had hatched, and decided to keep the young whelpling. Hence the name, that didn't seem all that fitting with Leviathan's physical appearance, in any sense of the word.

"So... What I wanted to say, is just that well... I try to look at it from my side, because I like to think better of things, Ruby. I know that realistically, there's no rosy side to this. Murder, greed, and strength. Simple, straight forward, and brutal in it's simplicity. Not something where there's a lot of room for solid morals, and heroes of any sort. But I sorta get the initiate feeling of wanting to think it wasn't as bad as it first sounded, because I like you, and so I may have... Romanticized things a bit, I guess.

I also think after the talk we had before that, about Dimma, I was getting a bit too deep in that sorta emotional state. Clouded my eyes and well... This."

She'd sway her hand towards the swath of forest she had ruined. Which she did feel a little bad for honestly. Not about the bugbears. Those things could get eaten by snails, for all she cared.

"So yeah. Sorry about that. I'll try and keep my thoughts more grounded, and be realistic about the way things were. Doesn't mean I'll stop hoping for the best, in things to come."

She'd suddenly grit her teeth, and take a hand to her head. Her eyes went unfocused for a moment, and she'd stagger back a few steps. She managed to stop herself, and shook her head, until she felt about average again.

"Ain't all bad not being overly emotional y'know. Saves you from wasting energy. Bloody magic fatigue is gonna bit me in the rear all day."

Suddenly, she'd realize something else, and turn to look at Charir.

"I didn't scare him, did I? ...Maybe this will work better now, eh?"

She'd strike a pose, and say the word for strong again, that she had learned in their language. It would likely be just as effective as the last time though. Sure she could be frightening to some (Not Ruby), if she put her efforts into rousing magic like before, and show some large scale devastation there. But Charir were hardy, and when she did this, she aimed to make it look boastful, in a funny way, to ease tensions.

If she wanted to be intimidating, she would be flying through the sky, dark clouds rolling from her wings, and blocking the clear skies. And then when she were ready, and had attention, she'd light up her claws, and watch the ones below, as the thunder would strike through the dark clouds, and whoever were the object of her ire, began realizing what were about to happen.

Or she'd stand in the midst os a large cyclone, menacingly in the calm eye of the storm, with debris and those dumb enough to try and get close to her, swirling in the winds. She did neither very often, with the last time she carpeted an area with thunderstorms, being three centuries past, but she had her ways, if need be. Likely still wouldn't even make Ruby skip a single heartbeat though. She were more likely to stand with a large sign, going *6/10*. And that might be on the generous side.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

On 2023-04-14 at 6:44 AM, Blitz Boom said:

You sleep when the sun is down, yes? So I should come only when the sun is up? I do not sleep, but I think I understand it right, that there are those who are awake when the sun is up, and sleep when it is down.

I can find you easier, if I have your scent. May I sniff you?"

Perhaps a little different from how Sen and Lin had wanted her to do, when they had informed her that she were to ask before she got the scent of others. but at least she had asked this time, so she assumed that that were good, and showed that she were listening. And if she were allowed to, she'd just go near Horu, and have a sniff in the air around him a few times. That would be all, and then until hed die or something peculiar would happen, she'd be able to track him anywhere, if needed. She were unsure if she should tell him that though. Others had begun to seem odd, when she had said that.

"I do not understand though, why the others would not want you to have better tools. They can get some too, yes? I can bring a lot of diamond, so you can share it with them too. It is shiny. Maybe they will like that."

“I… um… is this safe for me? The sniffing?”

“Oh, don’t worry about that. Omen needs your scent so she’ll know where to find you, but you won’t be in danger from it.”

“Then I guess you can sniff me, Omen, but if you plan to find me, between sunrise and sunset would be a good time to visit. Being disturbed from sleep tends to make a lot of us angry, and moving around in the open at night will attract the hunters’ attention. You don’t want them to mistake you for something dangerous.”

There was still much for the longma to learn about Omen; her oddities and methods were definitely bizarre, but there was a sense of understanding that grew the moment she spoke with her. It did wonders to keep the situation from escalating from one stage of weirdness to another, but the same could not be said for the longma. Traditions that are so ingrained in the past may seem odd, maybe outdated, but nothing tried to upend them for a long, long while.

“As for the tools, it’s a difficult thing to talk about. The most experienced crafters and carvers have built their skills and knowledge over many years and passed them down to their apprentices. They don’t really like it if someone comes across new knowledge that could let the young or the apprentices do things better than them. It sort of makes them feel like a relic from an older time.”

On 2023-04-14 at 6:44 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"She is there. You can go and do that now then, yes?"

“Maybe we can go later. Let’s not interrupt Horu right now, and it looks like Mother is busy. We’ll go and visit her when we are not in the middle of something. Besides, in case something goes wrong here, we’ll be standing by to assist. Speaking of which, I think our woodworker friend has attracted some attention.”

In a sense, this little meeting with the foal has been rather interesting for the woodworker. Sen would still acknowledge Mother as she had seen them at that moment, bowing and smiling in her direction. There was still time for a visit, but it would be rude to just up and leave Horu right now. As for the latter, he found himself backing away and going to the corner of the dark room to grab something he kept in storage. There were numerous wood panels, some fully carved and some completely untouched. What he grabbed was something of a finished product, though the raised curves protruding from the thin block made it difficult to tell what exactly he had or when he made it.

As much as he didn’t want to get the young pony in trouble, this was an opportunity to see this creature up close. Maybe he could spare a quick moment to speak with the foal. What the longma held close to himself was an old carving, something made a fairly long time ago. He knew he couldn’t part with work intended for others, and passing on an untouched wood panel was just insulting, so this one was probably the best compromise he could find on such short notice.

Of course, communication would be different once the foal got close, and Horu could already feel the metaphorical butterflies in his stomach fluttering. The anticipation was rising with each second passing, but he raised his carving, bearing the image of a flower, and he’d see where things will go from there.

“Is… is this what it’s like to meet with other creatures in your travels? Was it like this when you first met Omen?”

“Not exactly, but we took things slow and got to know each other first. I guess it might be true for you, but maybe you can try not to scare the young one on the other side of the gate.”

“Uh, yes, but I am counting on you all to help in case things go wrong, all right?”

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom@Kujamih
Nobody really had anything to add, so responses were manly just varied nods and other such gestures, exception being Chega and Sear wishing luck to the others when they left.

Sheska would lead the group outside, where she would then gesture 'Lead the way' to no one specifically, since she and Trox had no idea where the school was.

While going outside, she scanned the downstairs again, only to see that the assumed dragon from earlier was gone, with a member of staff cleaning up the bottles and glasses left behind, looking bit baffled about something. Where the assumed dragon had gone, became clear when they got outside, as the hooded individual was walking away from the tavern a small distance away, having been joined by another creature, though this one was lot less ominous, as while he too was wearing a robe, it looked like just a normal travel robe, and he had his hood down, revealing that he was a dark red male dragon.

Again there was nothing implying a threat with these two, in fact, the male dragon seemed like they were just having a friendly chat with each other, and besides the full-covering outfit of the unidentified creature, really the only thing that could be seen as weird, was the fact that the creature seemed to walk perfectly straight, and even that was noticeable only if one had paid attention to the ridiculous amounts of alcohol they had seemingly just enjoyed. 

However, something about them seemed to get the attention of the siblings, as Trox gestured Sheska to look at them and the two whispered something to each other.

They didn't say anything about it though, instead Trox looked at Light "Don't want to be rude, but how do you get lost in this place? There's a tall shiny castle that sticks out like a sore finger, and I'm yet to find a place where it is not visible." Sheska added to it by muttering "That thing really is a sore to the eye." it wasn't that they didn't like the design per say, it was kinda pretty, they just didn't like how different it was to everything else, they also weren't fans of castles and other symbols of government, especially when they were so....intrusive. 

---------------------------------------------------

"I have no right to judge," Ruby stated nonchalantly regarding Leviathan's worry about going overboard, and she really meant it, she may have had a different world view, but even she knew that judging Leviathan for emotional lash out like this would have been...hypocritical, she may lack lot of emotions herself, but even she wouldn't claim that some of the things she had done weren't emotional, in fact, the whole topic of the original conversation was about a emotional reaction, since that what her new worse qualities were, emotional reaction to things that happened. 

Speaking of emotions, Ruby again showed that there may be something behind that wall of ice, as when Leviathan suddenly staggered, Ruby had her leg ready to catch her if she fell, a little thing, and maybe something that went unnoticed, but still a conscious action by her. 

"You misunderstand my intent, I do not remind you of reality to make you see the brutality, I remind you so that you understand where we come from, the effort it has taken for me to get to what I am now, I am a monster, no doubt, but i'm a monster who managed to break through a feral mindset, to simply acknowledge that my actions may have been less than preferable, is behind work and sacrifice, it took me losing everything to even consider a change of mind, to start learning." "Charir is in a better place due to being so young, but he too has that feral side, and you need to understand that it exists if you want to teach him to live in peace."  

Charir wasn't visibly startled or anything, he had just been in awe at he power, and while there had been some fear, it was not fear towards Leviathan, since he had no reason to believe she would attack him, rather, it was fearful respect towards her abilities. What came to his response to Leviathan's pose and word, he was bit amused at first, since he wasn't really sure what she was doing, but he then returned the favor by trying to say something too "Lev-i-at-han, M-ag-ic,, Dan-ge-r, Leviathan, Magic Danger." it was somewhat understandable, though he had a very strong accent since their native language was spoken differently, and he hadn't really studied the other language yet, he had just picked up few words and her name by listening Her and Ruby talk, especially during the earlier study session. After he said it, he gave a wide, still bit unnatural looking smile to indicate it was a compliment.

• Brohoof 1

@EQ_Theta

On 2023-04-15 at 8:45 AM, EQ_Theta said:

“I… um… is this safe for me? The sniffing?”

“Oh, don’t worry about that. Omen needs your scent so she’ll know where to find you, but you won’t be in danger from it.”

“Then I guess you can sniff me, Omen, but if you plan to find me, between sunrise and sunset would be a good time to visit. Being disturbed from sleep tends to make a lot of us angry, and moving around in the open at night will attract the hunters’ attention. You don’t want them to mistake you for something dangerous.”

The process would only take a few seconds, with omen going closer, and sniffing the air around him. Somewhat akin to a lazy dog. And soon as it were over, he were now in her library, as it were. She'd keep in mind what he said though, and leave him alone between when the sun were down, and when it were up. He might find her poking her head out of a wall sometime though, just as the sun rose.

"If being in the open when it is dark is bad, you will not be that then, correct? Then I would not be in the open. I would just go directly to where you were.

But I will not go to you, when it is dark. Unless I am told to."

Might be that someone wanted her to look for him after all, or she were told that he wanted her to meet her right away, or several other reasons. Unless that were the case though, she would leave him alone, after dark, and try to remember not to be out in the open during night time, in this village. It sounded like it would not be appreciated.

“As for the tools, it’s a difficult thing to talk about. The most experienced crafters and carvers have built their skills and knowledge over many years and passed them down to their apprentices. They don’t really like it if someone comes across new knowledge that could let the young or the apprentices do things better than them. It sort of makes them feel like a relic from an older time.”

Omen tilted her head to the side, thinking of what she were being told. Something which would leave her to a response, that might seem a little rude, yet if she were anything, it were honest. For better or worse.

"...That sounds dumb. You are supposed to learn, and make things better. What is the point, if you are told you can not learn something new, or use something that makes you better? You would still need to learn to use the tools, and it would still be your skills that made them work, yes?

If they do not want you to have something, because they do not, I will bring enough things like diamonds, for many. If all have the same, then there is not an issue, yes? They can use them too, and not feel like old things."

The teachers were confusing her. As she understood it, teachers were meant to make their students smarter. But it sounded like with the longma, they did not want them to be even smarter than they were. Which just seemed wrong to her How would they learn new things, and do them better, if they did not learn, and evolve? With attitudes like that, perhaps it were good that most longma, did not have magic. They would make for bad masters, if they didn't want their younger ones, to get too smart, and actively stifled them.

Or she misunderstood this entirely. They would see if she would be corrected, and change her mind on things.

“Maybe we can go later. Let’s not interrupt Horu right now, and it looks like Mother is busy. We’ll go and visit her when we are not in the middle of something. Besides, in case something goes wrong here, we’ll be standing by to assist. Speaking of which, I think our woodworker friend has attracted some attention.”

"Mother is with the siblings. She runs her hands through them, and they feel closer to her. Even us with forms, go to her when she does that, and hear her hum. Sometimes she sing too, though we do not understand the words. She says that if we understood it, she would have done something terribly wrong. She tells us not to ask more after that, so we do not."

Mother had some things, where she were clear that she did not want to talk about it. They did not know why, but they were good children. They did as she asked. Though sometimes they wondered, and whispered guesses between one another. Though they tended to forget that again quickly, and just go on and enjoy their time, until the day that they might be picked up by a passing master. A few had been taken in recent days, so maybe this were a sign that more would soon enough come. The more of them that got forms, the happier Mother would be.

While Horu went backwards, the foal would stare, curious as to what were going on. Mother in turn, would once more lower her hand, aware now that she had ´bee noticed, and would returen to giving all her attention to the unformed ones. The next step of that, being that she would go to the ground, and lay on her back, that the shapeless children might swarm her, and roll across her, as she embraced them all, with her large, leathery wings. The look on her face, being one of joy and love, as her eyes closed, and she kept the humming going.

Of course, communication would be different once the foal got close, and Horu could already feel the metaphorical butterflies in his stomach fluttering. The anticipation was rising with each second passing, but he raised his carving, bearing the image of a flower, and he’d see where things will go from there.

“Is… is this what it’s like to meet with other creatures in your travels? Was it like this when you first met Omen?”

“Not exactly, but we took things slow and got to know each other first. I guess it might be true for you, but maybe you can try not to scare the young one on the other side of the gate.”

“Uh, yes, but I am counting on you all to help in case things go wrong, all right?”

The foal were mighty curious as the dragon-like creature would return, carrying a piece of wood. It appeared that he were a little nervous too. Maybe it were a message of some sort? Actually, could he hear them in there, if he went closer?

The foal would flutter to a nearer branch, which were only about a half meter closer. And he could hear things! Not what the pony said, nor this one, but they did not seem to talk ei- Ooooh! Pretty!

His line of thought would be halted, as the panel were turned, and the pretty carving would revealed.

"Ooooh! That's like what Mr. Wood does, but prettier! That's so good!"

The foal's voice would be a little low, due to there still being some distance, but his enthusiastic voice would reach easily enough, if you just listened. Theirs did too, so he heard what it were the various ones were saying, to a certain extend. Except for Omen, who were out of reach.

He'd raise his front hooves and clap enthusiastically, with a big smile on his face. He wish he could get closer to look, but... Actually...

"Can I go closer? Will I hit my face on the tree?"

Omen would then increase the size of the gate, and stick her head through, so that she could speak with the foal.

"You can go closer."

"Woah, your voice is in my head!"

Omen would use some effort, and push the gate closer to the foal. She did not intend for him to walk in, but just get it closer. It were a little slow though, but she were also not doing this often.

If the plan were not to scare the foal, it were working well. He were more intrigued than terrified.

On 2023-04-16 at 10:01 AM, Catpone Cerberus said:

They didn't say anything about it though, instead Trox looked at Light "Don't want to be rude, but how do you get lost in this place? There's a tall shiny castle that sticks out like a sore finger, and I'm yet to find a place where it is not visible." Sheska added to it by muttering "That thing really is a sore to the eye." it wasn't that they didn't like the design per say, it was kinda pretty, they just didn't like how different it was to everything else, they also weren't fans of castles and other symbols of government, especially when they were so....intrusive.

"This is new reef for Shark. Big shiny place, very pretty."

In fairness to Shark, she had been a sorta equine, for less than three days, and she had spend most of her time in the woods. This were pretty new and special to her still, and she did at times get lost. She didn't mind though. Meant she could go and see more things. Like the yellow one, with all the snacks, that she were not allowed to eat. She had seemed very confused, when meeting Shark. Had gone off saying something about *Discord* and *Just wait*. She was not sure what that were about, and had been distracted by a butterfly swarm afterwards. Maybe next time she saw this pony, she could ask what it had been about though, yes? She did not know what a Discord were, but maybe it were tasty?

The kits did not say something to that. They had been too busy, looking at the odd group present in town. They stuck out rather severely, and the oddities, such as the alcohol, not seemingly impeding them? They saw that too. Sure it could be they just had a high tolerance, but... It were really hard to say, y'know? They had to notice things, as kitsune were trained to, at a young age, to not fall into as many traps, as others might. They still missed things of course, but they considered themselves to be of the lesser dense category of creatures. One where equines were not in, according to the kitsune. A bit of a bias perhaps.

They'd quietly follow Light, as the pony led them towards the school. Shark going near him, and letting off some happy giggles, and buzzed around on her odd wings at times, swaying around him, without seemingly a care in the world. Far as the kits were concerned, Shark right now lived in the *Ignorance is bliss* state. Honestly they envied her that. It must be nice to not be able to grasp, or care about, the full consequences of what were happening, and just try and enjoy things.

On 2023-04-16 at 10:17 AM, Kujamih said:

" Ahh! Yes the castle.... Its near that place....so i guess we head there thennnnn.... Was it south or north?.... I guess we'll find out when we get there hehe...." Light was abit embarrassed and worried, since he himself isn't really from this place or dimension.

They would speak up once, and point out a faster route, and more direct, when they were being lead the wrong way momentarily. They assumed that Light might also have some issue finding his way here then, as he then might not be local either. They wouldn't be rude about it though. Just point the other direction, and mention it being faster. Maybe they had misjudged things, and he were doing this for a tactical reason? if so, they'd just follow the other way he went, and likely go in a big circle.

As for the school, when they eventually reached it, it were still open for others to go in, but there were a guard in front of it. A heavily armored solar guard, that had been passing through by the looks of things, doing his to keep an eye on things. He were also accompanied by a bored looking farmer, standing there with a shovel. He had to be accompanied on watch, and well, beggars couldn't be choosers.

Upon seeing the friendship school, Shark immediately zooms over, and straight into the pool of water, that is around the school. She'd emerge after a few seconds, and fly over to the others, looking refreshed and more lively than before.

"That good. I was getting dry. Dry is bad."

"Aye there folks. You got a motley crew there, don'tcha?"

"Don't be rude, Wheat."

"Too bored to care. Sides, they're in a big group. They're fine from whatever weirdo stuff you went and said was happening."

The guard sighed, and rolled his eyes. The things he had to put up with sometimes... He better get overtime for this.

"The Principal mentioned some who were still missing, and this one fits a description. You're free to enter. The rest of you, follow her in an orderly fashion please. Things are tense enough, without there being a brawl in the school."

Shark went closer to the guard, looking curiously at him. He did not seem to be affected by that, and simply remained stoic, and professional.

"...Friend wears strange thing."

The farmer chuckled lowly at that, and opened the door, so they could wander in. Shark first, the others following one by one. If they still had something to do in town, before going in though, they still had time now, to change their mind.

================================================================================

@Catpone Cerberus

Leviathan looked at Charir as he began to speak ponish for the first time. Broken and a little shaky at first maybe, but her facial expression betrayed her thoughts on this. An increasing happy, open-mouthed smile, with light in her eyes, before she suddenly began to clap, jumping excitedly in place.

"Did you head that? He said my name! Oh, what a wonderful day!"

She'd move in closer, and put her hand on his head, scratching his scalp like she had done before, but then she went further, by closing in, and hugging him from behind, with her right cheek against his head, and arms as much around her as she could.

"Such a good, smart boy you are. Already learning so many words. I'm so proud."

If he did not seem to like the hug, or had struggled, she'd stop/let go, and just keep to her hand on his head, though she were giddy, and full of joy regardless.

"Oooh, I know you're a feral boy at heart, just like your sister. And that's fine, Ruby. We can change how we interact with the world, but it isn't easy to change what you fundamentally are. For a lot, it's near impossible.

I tried changing myself, for a long time once. Tried to be more like the diamond dogs I grew up around. But I came to understand, that there's just something that can't be changed. Part of me, that's always gonna be there, even if I look at it differently.

*sigh* Seeing who you were, from a new perspective? It can make you realize a lot of things. Make you get to the point, where you can actually make some changes. Question always is, what parts that you want to change, and what you just accept as being a core part of you. Least us dragons have the privilege of time to reflect, and change. Even if we tend to be a stubborn bunch.

Aaah, but maybe this is going a bit sappy. We were gonna hunt, yeah? Let's find something good then. There's a certain good boy here, who deserves something nice."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

15 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"...That sounds dumb. You are supposed to learn, and make things better. What is the point, if you are told you can not learn something new, or use something that makes you better? You would still need to learn to use the tools, and it would still be your skills that made them work, yes?

If they do not want you to have something, because they do not, I will bring enough things like diamonds, for many. If all have the same, then there is not an issue, yes? They can use them too, and not feel like old things."

Horu didn’t fault Omen for her naïveté nor her comment on the older longma’s methods, though that may be so because he was more preoccupied with the experience of getting sniffed. As much as he would like to agree with her on this matter, there was a system that worked for numerous years. It would be hard to break very ingrained habits and mentalities, and those set in their ways who haven’t known anything different would prefer to keep something that isn’t broken going. It worked well enough for them to keep traditions alive, and it would take something major to create an upheaval in the old ways.

“You haven’t studied under the old mentors; it’s their way or no way, and keeping the old ways alive means following them. It’s worked for them, just like it did for their own teachers. Their skills are passed down to us, and along with that, their way of thinking. If you plan on bringing things to them, I suggest holding off on that until everyone’s gotten used to you. They are unlikely to take you seriously just because you are an outsider.”

“I guess it also applies to the rules around the village, but those are more understandable. Take what I said earlier for example. No one’s usually walking around at night because everyone’s sleeping, and those that do could be up to no good. You could try talking your way around the hunters, but knowing how distrustful the longma are of outsiders, I can’t say the same will be true for you.”

The woodworker understood Omen’s intentions, but the longma wouldn’t be receptive to her telling them that they weren’t right or were limiting themselves to a certain frame of thought. An upstart like her would sow doubt, challenge an old but stable order of things, and that could spell trouble for the Ki’Nathar. It would be best to take things one at a time and minimize unwanted consequences.

15 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"Ooooh! That's like what Mr. Wood does, but prettier! That's so good!"

The foal's voice would be a little low, due to there still being some distance, but his enthusiastic voice would reach easily enough, if you just listened. Theirs did too, so he heard what it were the various ones were saying, to a certain extend. Except for Omen, who were out of reach.

He'd raise his front hooves and clap enthusiastically, with a big smile on his face. He wish he could get closer to look, but... Actually...

"Can I go closer? Will I hit my face on the tree?"

Omen would then increase the size of the gate, and stick her head through, so that she could speak with the foal.

"You can go closer."

"Woah, your voice is in my head!"

“Thank you! I… Oh… I could understand you.”

Moving the gate closer was something that Lin didn’t think was possible now that she had a chance to observe. She always thought it was a fixed point when opening one, and a gate would need to be sealed to have another one open at a different point. Guess there was more to that than she initially thought, and maybe it could work with her own style of gates. 

As for Horu, the initial shock may have worn off, but he still couldn’t believe it. He’s talking to a pony, and it’s sort of going well, awkwardness aside. It was all rather surreal but a positive kind. The young pony on the other side wasn’t afraid despite the circumstances already raising some red flags if other older creatures were to find out, but he’d try to keep things civil for now and hope this little interaction won’t draw unwanted attention. For now, it may seem that way, but all this interaction might get a passerby outside Horu’s workshop wondering where he went. 

“I made this wood carving myself, little one. Uh… would you like to have a look at another piece? I do not have many, but I am learning to make other designs.”

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

If the tree is a danger?  Trees didn't have the best reputation for letting their emotions, intents and expressions be known.  At least in Rising's experience anyways.  From a magical standpoint, the tree was indeed not in an active state of being harmful at the moment.  He could watch the magics swirl around it, in it, and the patterns formed by unknown intelligence.  The detective could at least keep an eye on it, as it were in a sense, but right now there wasn't a problem.  Beauty was in the eye of the beholder, but not a sight the family was all that use to seeing or comparing anything to.  An exchange in culture for the future, who knows what beauty they may find in Harrowmark or them in Equestria.

For now, he'd do as requested.  With a flick of a trio of black wisps, the modified sleep spell he created from the remains of the ancient spell and his twin's magic, was tied off with a knot.  Keeping the sleeping spell in a suspended state until the knot could be undone to slam the spell back onto the tree.  With that task done, the twins could finally release their magics and let the glow of their horns disappear.  "Ho ho ho.  We're to meet the head librarian again so soon?  How wonderful!" the father seemed truly delighted.  As that somehow was more interesting to the stallion than the event they just witnessed.  "But, what mysteries have we discovered here this day?  Forgotten history, a new chapter on the road of life, or old dusty pages waiting for be read again.  Ho ho ho," Rising stood corrected.

As the perimeter was the formed the family did their best to stay in a reasonable location to not get in the way or cause the guards due stress.  Rising continued to watch the tree and pup.  The pup's words were filed away in his mindscape, to be translated at a later time should the chance to learn the language ever come up.  That, and he can repeat the words to the librarian at the very least even if he didn't know their meaning.  "Things are stable, Captain.  I will do what I can should the need arise," the detective affirmed with a nod in the tree and pup's direction.  He glanced over his shoulder to his twin that had worked her way to be near her parents.  She nodded at his unheard transfer of meaning between them.  Dawn didn't have the power to take the whole group from this place in an emergency, but she could get their parents to safety in an instant at least.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@EQ_Theta

On 2023-04-18 at 4:21 PM, EQ_Theta said:

“You haven’t studied under the old mentors; it’s their way or no way, and keeping the old ways alive means following them. It’s worked for them, just like it did for their own teachers. Their skills are passed down to us, and along with that, their way of thinking. If you plan on bringing things to them, I suggest holding off on that until everyone’s gotten used to you. They are unlikely to take you seriously just because you are an outsider.”

“I guess it also applies to the rules around the village, but those are more understandable. Take what I said earlier for example. No one’s usually walking around at night because everyone’s sleeping, and those that do could be up to no good. You could try talking your way around the hunters, but knowing how distrustful the longma are of outsiders, I can’t say the same will be true for you.”

"...So I should still take more things with me, in case they want to see or try, but not take it too them? So give you some, then keep the others in my room, until they ask? I can do that.

I do not understand not wanting things to change though. If things do not change, you do not learn something new, and it is important to keep learning. That is what Mother tells us. But she also keeps the system, with having us play and wait for masters, that is older then I am... I will need to think about this. Maybe it will make more sense if I do that later."

She could have brought up the example of Discord too, who used to think that his world of chaos were fine, and didn't need to change. Yet now, he had changed, and instead of making the world fit him, he fit himself into the world, and it seemed to work good for him. But she assumed she could not bring that up, due to being told not to speak about Discord near the longma. So even saying chaos, would likely not be good. Though she had said she were very old, but that did not seem to imply whom her master were, so she did not consider it breaking her promise.

"I learn many things during the night, when others sleep. Sometimes I sit around, and think of things that have happened, trying to learn. Other times, I go around and look. There is much to see, when everyone is sleeping. But I understand. I should not do that here. So I will go other places when it is night."

Might be that Omen did not sleep, but she could be so many other places, when she wasn't doing that. She did not need to wander this town during it. Maybe she'd go and look at another thestral town? They were active at night. Maybe she could learn more about them sometime, like that?

Moving the gate closer was something that Lin didn’t think was possible now that she had a chance to observe. She always thought it was a fixed point when opening one, and a gate would need to be sealed to have another one open at a different point. Guess there was more to that than she initially thought, and maybe it could work with her own style of gates. 

Omen couldn't stretch her gates, as had been proven once already, but moving them were not impossible. However, the time that it took to move it even a little, and how it could not be moved further than max half the length of her leg, meant that frankly, it tended to be a lot easier and faster for her, to just close the first gate, and open a new one. She had only done it this other way, as it seemed like it were smartest to let the two creatures look at one another, without making tricks like that.

As for Horu, the initial shock may have worn off, but he still couldn’t believe it. He’s talking to a pony, and it’s sort of going well, awkwardness aside. It was all rather surreal but a positive kind. The young pony on the other side wasn’t afraid despite the circumstances already raising some red flags if other older creatures were to find out, but he’d try to keep things civil for now and hope this little interaction won’t draw unwanted attention. For now, it may seem that way, but all this interaction might get a passerby outside Horu’s workshop wondering where he went. 

“I made this wood carving myself, little one. Uh… would you like to have a look at another piece? I do not have many, but I am learning to make other designs.”

The foal clapped enthusiastically, not thinking that what he were looking at, were dangerous at all.

"Ooooh! I'd love to see more, mistah! It's so much better than my drawings. You're really talented.

Is that your special skill? I think mine's gonna be botany. I like bugs."

The foal would flutter his wings in pure joy. One of the teachers at this point, did keep somewhat of an eye on him, but as he said, he liked bugs. They assumed that he were just watching some larvae on the bark again. It happened now and again, and long as they could see him, there were hardly a reason to be worried, unless it sounded like he were about to fall out of the tree. Or if he jumped into the dark world, leaving him both out of sight, and meaning that he no longer more or less blocked for the dark gate enough, as to not raise suspicions.

"You do not have a cutie mark yet, yes?"

"Nope, but my daddy says that it's okay, and that everypony gets theirs, when the time is right. I'm hoping for a butterfly net!"

He'd giggle, as he imagined the day he'd get his very own cutie mark. Just a matter of time, like his dad said, and it wasn't something you needed to rush towards. Just do what you felt you liked the most, and then you'd probably go and figure out your calling sooner or later. And he always liked sitting around, handling insects, so his path seemed somewhat narrowed.

"Nope."

Wheat stood casually, not seeming like he cared a whole deal about how that might sound at first. Even let out a yawn, before he continued.

"I ain't active in the service anymore, and couldn't care much less 'bout this mess, but Stargazer's a good lad. He asked, and he said we outta stay in groups of two, so that's what I'm gonna do. Ain't hard though. Four doors down, then make a left. You'll find her."

He'd be right. The fact were that her door were well marked, but they wouldn't have to go into the office itself, to find her. Principal Starlight Glimmer, were outside the office, having seemingly addressed a group of students. Likely nervous due to the notice of the school being on lockdown, until further notice.

She'd sigh, and shake her head as they walked off. So many today like this... What a day this were. She hoped that whomever they were chasing, would soon be caught, so that there could be some semblance of peace again.

"Hello!"

She'd look up, as she heard Shark speak, and watched the whole group that had arrived. Including two kobolds? That was an unusual sight, to put it mildly. At least around Ponyville. Guess it really were true, that this town drew all sorts to it.

"Principal Glimmer. We need to talk to you. It's important!"

"As I have told many students, the lockdown have had to happen, on the request of the guards. There is a very dangerous individual in town, and it is best if everypony just stays inside, and wait until they have it cleared.

I don't think I've met you two before. Kobolds, yes? I am Principal Starlight Glimmer. What brings you here?"

================================================================================

@Rising Dusk

"Good. I will maintain this perimeter, until further notice."

With that, she would take a step back, with her front turned towards them, and her back towards the tree, and pup. She'd draw her club, then turn the head towards the ground, and grab the handle with both paws. Her eyes would close, legs stand firmly, and as Rising would be able to tell, she would be preparing something.

White magic would flow in her paws, and she'd push the mace down, hitting the ground. As it did, a barrier would erupt from her, forming a perimeter around the tree, with her as the focus point. A large, circle, of see-through, marble-white copies of herself, standing firm and regal like statues. As were she, as she kept focus on maintaining this, and for potential threats from the outside.

She were not left exposed, as a barrier were around her too, albeit much smaller, only just encasing her. Rising would also be able to tell, that the barrier - tall as it were, due to the size of the diamond dog making it - did have some unseen properties. Namely, that it one simply tried to go over it, they'd get hit with snare spells, and if magic were tried to be cast over, she'd exert some extra magic to deflect it, as best she could. Essentially, this were a barrier, with a built in trap for those who thought they were clever.

If it were not attacked, the barrier did not take as much magic, as one might think. But it took both effort, and a good deal of magic, to maintain it during an actual assault. Generally speaking, this sort of thing, also tended to need several others to maintain it, but Gerthrude were a strong user, in the kind of spells she had focused on. Which were a somewhat limited bunch, but it were best in her mind, to perfect what you needed first, rather than be a half-usable jack of all trades.

Rising might also be curious about the use of white magic at all, but it were present, in Harrowmark. It were just to a far lesser extend, and not utilized as much. Gerthrude, and those whom she had learned from however, had seen merit in harnessing even a sliver, and make use of it to counter the darkness, to an extend. Much the same were used for various wards around villages in Harrowmark, and some protection spells, as well as being a slight counterpoint for some darker spells, to make it less corrupting.

Necrotic would simply look at this for a few moments, then chuckle faintly.

"You should have seen her, when she first managed to do this. I am not sure if she, or her teacher, were the most proud. It is quite a sight still, even if now I am wiser than then, and thus do not attempt to simply fly over, to see how it appears from the other side."

The implication being that he had gotten tangled up were notable, likely only for Rising though, but he assumed that the peculiar stallion would understand what he had meant. If not, he did not mind telling, even if it had been somewhat embarrassing back in the day. Gerthrude's teacher had been laughing quite notably though.

Afterwards, he'd spend the time waiting, going to the houses of those who had not left for the festival yet, or were home for some other reason, and knock on their doors, to try and ease some minds.

The guards assigned to Rising and his family, would mostly just be on guard, waiting to see if something happened, or if they had to follow them around.

Eventually, about twenty minutes or so later, Hayze would return, followed by Marshall, who carried a large tome with him. Quite an old one too, by the looks of the shriveled casing around it. He barely noted them, and instead looked upon the tree, then opened the book. Yellowed old pages, filled with peculiar words were carefully looked through, before eventually, he'd fall upon one that he'd halt at, then read through.

"Hmm... Perhaps..."

He'd go closer, and kneel down, that he might better look at the wooden pup, on the other side of the barrier. It appeared that she looked at him with caution, and tried saying something once more, albeit briefly. Marshall in turn, would raise an eyebrow, and return some words of his own, which the pup seemed to finally understand. He were not speaking quickly though, whenever he responded to some of what she were saying. It seemed that while he did understand this, actual communication took some thought and effort. And all the while he did speak, and the pup did things such as look up towards the tree, paw at the ground, and wander in circles as it spoke, the book he had, would remain firmly open on the page, resting on his knee.

He'd eventually halt, nod, and go over to them. It seemed something were troubling him though, and he did not speak at first, as he were trying to formulate how best to approach this.

"...It is good to meet you all once more, albeit under complicated circumstances. But I will try and explain as best I can.

The language she speaks, is ancient Harrowish. I am not surprised none of you spoke that, as it have not been spoken aloud since the days before the first Copperhagen were built. As such, keep in mind that translating it, is not simple, and some things might hold different meaning.

She says that she is a nature creature. That the old fur - whom I assume means diamond dog elders of some kind - said she needed to sleep, when new ones had come, that they feared. That it would keep her safe. She says she was scared, due to the ground, but she still let them make her sleep.

She does not know what happened during her sleep, but she says she woke up, and her tree felt wrong. It were hidden, but even after shedding the bad skin, it did not feel right. So she made herself away from it, afraid she were getting corrupted.

As best I can guess, it matches to some tales of old cleansing rituals done on this tree. The origins of it are long forgotten, but until Twisted's rise, there were still practitioners, who would yearly come and do a celebration, and cleaning ritual. I can only assume that meant that they were bolstering the sleep spell, and keeping side effects from happening, albeit not knowing why. It were likely lost information, when the diamond dogs and equines of old, came together to forge a new future. A lot of scripture were mishandled then. Or outright burned.

As best I can tell, she wishes no harm, but are weary of equines, as she have not seen them before. The tree concerns her, yet it seems she is mostly scared of what will happen, if she goes back there, at it looks weird to her. Which I must admit, it does rather. It looks magically infused.

I have no record of a forest creature like this, in Harrowmark. I were hoping that perhaps, you had seen, or read of, something similar?"

He'd direct this question to the whole, Equestrian family, who might have grasped a little what they were dealing with. A creature of nature, who long ago had to sleep, disguised as a tree, and now still call it her tree, albeit she feared it were corrupted, and appeared to have been nervous about staying planted for too long, because of that. She also mentioned having to to back to it, indicating this were just a sliver of her, manifested away from it, with the tree itself being the real her. And there were only really one creature, who hid as a tree, were highly magical, and would be afraid of potential side effects, from being rooted for too long, in strange earth.

They were dealing with a Dryad. Yet an unusual one, as normally they could not shed away from their tree like this. They were the tree after all, not trapped within it. They normally didn't live for what had to be at least a millennia and a half. Perhaps the energies of Harrowmark, had something to do with it. But if that were the case, what else might be different about this one?

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

On 2023-04-20 at 6:20 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"...So I should still take more things with me, in case they want to see or try, but not take it too them? So give you some, then keep the others in my room, until they ask? I can do that.

I do not understand not wanting things to change though. If things do not change, you do not learn something new, and it is important to keep learning. That is what Mother tells us. But she also keeps the system, with having us play and wait for masters, that is older then I am... I will need to think about this. Maybe it will make more sense if I do that later."

“Maybe we could make arrangements when you want to see some of the things Omen could bring? It’ll avoid drawing attention to you, but you’ll still be able to see those when you’d like.”

“That sounds good, but as I said earlier, there’s no rush. Only when there is time and it won’t be a burden on you. About things not changing to learn something new, I don’t know if this is correct, but those with knowledge about our ways decide how and what we learn. You can say it changes us according to how they want us to change. At least, that’s how it looks.”

No way would the longma present imagine this could happen, but the slow progress they’re making right now feels like a good start. One could increase to two, and the rest of the village could see that Omen isn’t a threat to them. It’ll take some convincing for the others, but this could be a good stepping stone to ease others out of their shaky tolerance. Given some time, all this happening in private could be seen by others without suspicion, but it’ll take more time for those who consider themselves the gatekeepers of their knowledge.

On 2023-04-20 at 6:20 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Ooooh! I'd love to see more, mistah! It's so much better than my drawings. You're really talented.

Is that your special skill? I think mine's gonna be botany. I like bugs."

The reaction the foal gave was rather unexpected, but it was a pleasant one. Though Horu was no stranger to receiving compliments for his work, there was a certain kind of elation and pride that welled up within when, or if, the young were able to perceive and appreciate the work that goes into a wood carving. He smiled at the notion and the positivity that this young foal had, and he’d entertain him a little longer.

“I don’t know if I can call wood carving special, but I know it was for me when I first learned I had the skills for it. I’ll get another piece for you to see.”

Without missing a beat, the wood carver left and returned to the corner where he found his first carving. Aside from the numerous attempts at creating his first panel, there were older designs for leaves looking like they were blown by the wind. A few others had fish resembling those obtained from the nearby river and samples of a bird that lived in the forest. Those weren’t as good as the flower carving, but there was always room to improve on those designs. It wouldn’t take long for Horu to be back with another carving of a small forest-dwelling bird perched on a branch. The curvature and the details weren’t as exact as the flower’s, but that was to be expected for an older attempt.

“This one’s an older work of mine, but it’s not as good. I wish you success and hope you gain what it is you are seeking. Forgive me for asking, but what was that you mentioned? The one about everyone getting theirs?”

Meanwhile, Sen overheard some steps from the outside and quietly excused himself to investigate. If someone were there looking for Horu, he’d at least do what he could to stall whoever it was. The wood carver was already engrossed in his conversation with the foal, but his talking possibly getting louder could draw in a lot of suspicions about what went on in the back.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom@Kujamih
The siblings didn't say much during the travel, mainly just whispering to each other in their native language, whatever they said was most likely serious topics as neither of them emoted much during their quiet conversations. The reason for them whispering was less about keeping secrets and more out of convenience, as it was easier to them to discuss things they knew about without involving the others, since from their point of view, the others lacked certain....maturity, to add anything to their conversation.

The kobolds rolled their eyes slightly to Light's seeming lack of direction, not out of any ill will, but from their point of view such trouble navigating was more than bit frustrating, since for them, even ignoring their natural sense of direction which came from them having evolved to live underground, navigation, be it in a new or a familiar place, had been quite literally a matter of survival for them. 

Their first words directed to others again was Trox responding to the farmer's remark "Yeah, a real freak show, magical foxes, metallic lizard and we even had a giant bug earlier." his tone was nonchalant yet humorous, but that was all he said about it.

For the guard, the siblings did as was told, but it wouldn't be hard to see that they had no real respect towards the guard, no respect towards his status as a guard, nor towards him as a threat....latter partly affected by the fact he had just let two strangers into a school armed without as much as questioning them, or well, only Sheska was technically speaking armed since she had the crossbow and a sword, while Trox had only the shield. There were the 'grenades' too, but there was really no reason to assume that the guard could tell that the chunks of junk metal were weapons. 

Both kobolds nodded when asked if they were kobolds, they weren't actually that surprised that this mare from all ponies knew what they were, after all, if someone did know, it would be the head of what looked to be a very multi-creature school, though the way she asked was still evidence on their kind being still underground here, both literally and figuratively. Unlike the others, they felt no need to show any special respect towards Starlight, though at the same time, they did show her respect, the sort of general respect you gave when talking to someone you saw as your equal.

"Sheska and Trox" Sheska introduced, Trox continued from that "In short, this situation going on around here, the thing is after my sister." "It got mad because I helped to keep the first victims alive." "The 'fluffy ones'..." he called them that because he found it amusing "...call it Oni, and said that you may be able to help by being able to contact their elders who in turn know how to get rid of the nuisance." yet again they spoke about it like it was the weather.

----------------------------------

Charir kinda just looked at Leviathan, slightly puzzled by her reaction, it was a positive one yes, that much he could tell, but that's where it ended. He didn't struggle, in fact, he didn't do much of anything, he was so....confused? he wasn't even sure if it was confusion or something else, the only real movement he did was giving an asking look towards Ruby, who just shrugged. He took it that Leviathan was satisfied with his attempt at the weird language, and that did make him feel slightly happier, since he was craving for any positive feedback, but what he didn't understand was why the hug, an act that was very much breaking his personal space, felt nice? it couldn't be the physical feeling, since he barely felt it, there was no learned behavior that told him it was a good thing, so it wasn't that either, yet, he felt...warm? And when eventually the hug was gone, he felt oddly cold. 

Ruby wasn't outside in this all either, sure she didn't do much, or emote at all, as she just watched things taking place, but while she watched Charir, seeing the tiny signs of happiness that only those from their kind would be able to spot, she too felt something crawling inside, was it recognition? envy? some kind of yearning? who knew? but there was something in her eyes, something in the cold indifference...had she left something unsaid? 

"You can go first, I'll keep an eye on Charir until you're back, don't get captured by magical foxes." 

@EQ_Theta

On 2023-04-21 at 4:14 PM, EQ_Theta said:

“Maybe we could make arrangements when you want to see some of the things Omen could bring? It’ll avoid drawing attention to you, but you’ll still be able to see those when you’d like.”

“That sounds good, but as I said earlier, there’s no rush. Only when there is time and it won’t be a burden on you. About things not changing to learn something new, I don’t know if this is correct, but those with knowledge about our ways decide how and what we learn. You can say it changes us according to how they want us to change. At least, that’s how it looks.”

"Your ways confuse me. I do not understand why you would have someone, who says that you can not learn new things, just because they do not want you to learn. Maybe it will make sense some other day.

And finding things is not a burden. I know where to look, and it gives me something to do when everyone is sleeping."

Besides, while Omen didn't really grasp time that well, beyond counting sunrises, she did get that she were what many would think of as ancient. She also did not seem to have a lack of time, so the notion that she would be wasting any of it, were not really something that she agreed with. Not when she could likely find all items, before he even woke up.

"It sounds like I should just leave them in my room after I find them, and then you will find out a good time to come and look at them, yes? I will do that. "

It sounded like there was a plan, and she would follow that then, as best she could. After that though, she really needed to try and find a way to understand the longma more. It sounded so alien to her, to not want to learn new things, but just wait and see what others would say were okay for you to learn, and what you shouldn't. It made sense with dangerous things, but why not tool? Books? Perhaps new food? It just seemed so strange to her. Definitely something she needed to mull over properly at some point.

On 2023-04-21 at 4:14 PM, EQ_Theta said:

“This one’s an older work of mine, but it’s not as good. I wish you success and hope you gain what it is you are seeking. Forgive me for asking, but what was that you mentioned? The one about everyone getting theirs?”

Meanwhile, Sen overheard some steps from the outside and quietly excused himself to investigate. If someone were there looking for Horu, he’d at least do what he could to stall whoever it was. The wood carver was already engrossed in his conversation with the foal, but his talking possibly getting louder could draw in a lot of suspicions about what went on in the back.

The foal didn't seem to really care, that the quality were a little worse on the older carvings. It were still pretty, and way better looking that the crayon pictures that she and her classmates tended to do. It Were also something made by someone on the other side of a portal near a tree. That added to the cool factor.

"I still think it's really pretty, mistah. It looks like you really tried, and the nature theme is nice. Nature is nice, with lots of funny smells, and pretty bugs.

And I was talking about my cutie mark. I don't have it yet, but someday I'm gonna, and it'll be nice and pretty."

Suddenly, another foal would flutter up, around the same age, and look at the one they had talked to so far. A dark-grey colt with a light-blue mane and tail.

"Why're you talking to yourself, Buzz?"

"I'm not. Look!"

The foal turned and looked at the tree, and right into the portal. Made him jump in surprise, but he'd land safely on the branch again. His charcoal-colored eyes landing on a certain someone on the other side of the gate, that seemed to put a smile on his face again.

"Oh, hi Omen!"

He'd wave at Omen, who'd in turn raise a hoof, and wave back.

"Woah, you know her?"

"Uhuh. I met her at the park, when she were carrying a duck on her head. She can make holes in the air, and walk through them."

"Ooooh, you told me about that! That's so cool!

Hey, can you show them your cutie mark? The nice mistah in there, doesn't seem to know what they are, and I don't have mine yet."

"Huh, really? Heh, that's funny. But okay."

He'd flutter up, and turn his side, showing the side of his flank, which had an image on it. One that looked like a small owl, under a green branch.

"I got it when I helped getting a little owl chick back up in a tree. I dunno what it means yet, but I bet it means I'm gonna be good at taking care of birds.

...Ooooh, or did Buzz mean you didn't know what a cutie mark is at all? It's uhm... The teachers say that when you find what your special talent is, your cutie mark shows up on your flank. Then there's a party, and you get cake. I got pecan pie, it were pretty good.

So what're you doing?"

"The mistah is showing his very pretty wood carvings."

"Oh cool! Can I see it too? Pleeeease?"

The colt sat down next to Buzz, and looked in at Horu, hopeful that he could see something too. It didn't have to be everything he had showed to Buzz already. Just the last one he had there, would be nice too.

On 2023-04-21 at 1:27 PM, Kujamih said:

Light unconsciously and habitually bows down when meeting Starlight glimmer. And would continue to do so unless he was addressed by the headmistress. 

" Head Mistress we have arrived."

She'd acknowledge him with a nod, as a response to his bow.

"Good to see that you are all four safe. I were worried when we could not find any of you when this whole thing began."

10 hours ago, Catpone Cerberus said:

"Sheska and Trox" Sheska introduced, Trox continued from that "In short, this situation going on around here, the thing is after my sister." "It got mad because I helped to keep the first victims alive." "The 'fluffy ones'..." he called them that because he found it amusing "...call it Oni, and said that you may be able to help by being able to contact their elders who in turn know how to get rid of the nuisance." yet again they spoke about it like it was the weather.

"Well then, it is nice to meet you two, though I wish it were under better circumstances. But if you have a solution with you, then it is a fortunate meeting at least. The whole town are on edge, and the guards says there is some sort of body stealer. An Oni, as you call it.

Hakune Zhing and Hakune Hachi. You say that your elders might be able to help? Wait here then please. I need to get hold of that thing your mother left with me, in case of emergency."

She'd go into the office, and rummage around her drawer, looking for the thing in question. In the meantime, the kitsune would look at those around, who they assumed were as confused as Shark seemed to be.

"In Neighpon, your last name is said first, and ours is Hakune. It's not a big deal."

As for more now calling them fluffy ones... They were okay with Shark saying it, as she were pretty new to words, and higher thinking in general, from what she were saying. That Trox also called them that, were a little... Honestly, it weren't even annoying. There were more important things to focus on, and it really wasn't such a big deal, now that they thought about it. Not when it were just a few like this.

Starlight would come back rather quickly after that, holding a folded up scroll.

"Stand back please."

She'd light up her horn, and unfold the scroll, whilst using a spell that she had been told were needed. The various runes and symbols on it would light up, and after a few seconds, it would fall to the floor, the symbols flowing beyond the pages. Magical symbols reached around it, lighting up the summoning spell, and soon enough, there stood another kitsune in the summoning circle. This one a full grown, red and grey female, wearing a traditional kimono, like the other two currently were. She were also holding a nearly empty, duck-shaped watering can, that she dropped to the floor - thankfully it did not tip over - just as she noticed where she were. The hairs on her tail rising, and her pupils widening.

"Mother!"

The two would jump over and embrace their mom, who calmed down as she wrapped her front paws and tail, around her kits.

"Oh dear ancestors, I thought you were in danger for a moment there."

"Worry not, Miss Hatzhune. I assure you they're safe, but there have been an issue, that unfortunately required me to call you here."

"Is it related to the kobolds? Or that one?"

She'd look at Trox and Sheska suspiciously. Though even more at Shark, who were a complete unknown, even if it seemed like she were currently busy trying to get something out from the scales on the tip of her tail, using her teeth. Or she might just be gnawing softly on it, for some reason.

"No. They helped us against the real danger."

"Then tell me, what is it?"

"There's an Oni in Ponyville!"

Hatzhune's pulse went up, and she'd pull her kits out to arm's length, looking them seriously in the eyes. The three would start to speak oddly. Specifically, in Neighponese, which were something only traditionalists really did anymore, as most from Neighpon just spoke ponish. The kitsune used this at times though, when they didn't want others to know what they were saying, or internally, in their own villages.

"Fluffy ones say funny words. Big one is pretty."

Shark weren't sure what were happening here, but she guessed that she were supposed to let them speak with one another now, so... She'd go back to gnawing on her tail a bit.

@Catpone Cerberus

Leviathan rolled her eyes at Ruby's comment, albeit with a big smile on her face. But after what Charir had just done? That smile were not going anywhere for a while.

"You're never gonna let me hear the end of that one, are you?"

They were dragons. She might actually never hear the end of that one. Heck, she knew some who still brought up inside jokes from millennia before, because it irked the one they wanted to hear it. Dragons could hang on to things for a long time, and that wasn't just related to treasure, or memories of what they had done. It also applied to grudges, slights, and things they could tease others about.

Sometimes it really made her chuckle how some of the short lived races saw dragons as these majestic, wise and dangerous creatures, when sometimes, they were more like eternal college kids.

In any case, she'd wander into the forest, but she would not be gone for more than a handful of minutes. She did not feel like going that far right now, so when she noticed a good rabbit that jumped off, she grabbed that quickly. She were thinking about eating this one, but then she saw a bunch of small eyes look out from a bush, up at the terrified rabbit squirming in her hand, chittering fearfully. Probably her kids...

"...Oh alright. Here."

She'd lean down, and let go of the rabbit, and head to the stream she heard. She'd go with a fish. At least with them, she didn't get guilt trips like this, when confronted with potentially eating a mom in front of their kids. She knew, big ol' softy, but it just didn't feel right. Fish were simpler, and frankly tastier too, with more meat on them. Let the bunnies run down into their barrows, and the female thank her makers for giving her another chance at life. Or her kids. It had been them that had ended up saving her from being lunch.

She'd return with a headless trout soon after, having gnawed a little off the top, after she took off the head. She also had a small gem cluster in her hand, that she had picked up on the way. Hadn't been intented, but hey, it'd make for a fine enough desert.

"Let me guess. You missed me so badly, that you almost went looking for me?"

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

On 2023-04-24 at 6:04 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"Your ways confuse me. I do not understand why you would have someone, who says that you can not learn new things, just because they do not want you to learn. Maybe it will make sense some other day.

And finding things is not a burden. I know where to look, and it gives me something to do when everyone is sleeping."

Besides, while Omen didn't really grasp time that well, beyond counting sunrises, she did get that she were what many would think of as ancient. She also did not seem to have a lack of time, so the notion that she would be wasting any of it, were not really something that she agreed with. Not when she could likely find all items, before he even woke up.

"It sounds like I should just leave them in my room after I find them, and then you will find out a good time to come and look at them, yes? I will do that. "

Seems like they’ve got themselves a deal. Horu liked that he was getting a closer look at those new materials Omen mentioned, but knowing the situation with Omen with the village and their hesitance and suspicions of her, he wanted to at least try to ease things along without getting his new friend into trouble. One wrong move could spoil her chances to introduce the outside world to him and those who are interested. Knowing the master craftworkers who got by with knowledge passed down from generations before them, they’re privy to their teachings but find themselves as the gatekeepers of their knowledge and techniques. Guiding prospects along the lines they set was their way, as it has always been. 

But for now, that wasn’t at the forefront of the woodworker’s attention. It seemed like the young pony on the other side is interested in sharing information, some of which was new and unexpected. As much as he could discern about their similarities to his own situation, there was enough to make them stand out and feel distinct. The part about cutie marks got him rather jealous, especially because of the celebration, though seeing one was still worth it. Getting to communicate with someone who knew Omen had this conversation feel less awkward, allowing the Horu to feel more relaxed. This definitely was quite the learning experience.

On 2023-04-24 at 6:04 AM, Blitz Boom said:

Hey, can you show them your cutie mark? The nice mistah in there, doesn't seem to know what they are, and I don't have mine yet."

"Huh, really? Heh, that's funny. But okay."

He'd flutter up, and turn his side, showing the side of his flank, which had an image on it. One that looked like a small owl, under a green branch.

"I got it when I helped getting a little owl chick back up in a tree. I dunno what it means yet, but I bet it means I'm gonna be good at taking care of birds.

...Ooooh, or did Buzz mean you didn't know what a cutie mark is at all? It's uhm... The teachers say that when you find what your special talent is, your cutie mark shows up on your flank. Then there's a party, and you get cake. I got pecan pie, it were pretty good.

So what're you doing?"

"The mistah is showing his very pretty wood carvings."

"Oh cool! Can I see it too? Pleeeease?"

“Wow! So that is a cutie mark… Is it something caused by magic? Where I am from, there is no such thing as a cutie mark, and my kind nurture talents once they are discovered. No celebration or food, only recognition and a drive to start with learning as much as we can from those who will teach us. For me, it is for carving wood using nature as my inspiration. Here, let me show you the piece I showed your friend earlier.”

For the sake of sating the curiosity of the foals, Horu held up the two carvings in his possession at the moment. Those may not be his best, but there was something special about them. They were his first finished pieces, the ones that made him proud about honing his talents after discovering this was what he was meant to do. Whether it was the only thing for him was another matter, but carving wood was rather relaxing whenever he was left to his own devices. He was grateful for being taught what he knew, but his teachers wouldn’t approve of outsider influences, and one could only imagine how different things could be if they were more open. 

“Am I correct in understanding that discovering your talent is special to ponies? And what if someone never finds their special talent? Oh… I am sorry if this is coming out all of a sudden, but I would like to know more about ponies. I've never seen or met one until today, and after being told a little bit, I am finding your kind to be curious. Maybe it is not fair for me to ask all the questions, but if you like, I can tell you more about myself as well.”

As for Sen, he came across a hunter passing by the workshop after noticing the commotion from outside. For now, he seemed to have gotten him to go elsewhere, convincing him that Lin was busy with a transaction. Now whether others would buy the same explanation remained to be seen.

@Blitz Boom

Both master and apprentice would have equal right to compete for the level of pride one takes in accomplishing a great feat.  It were still strange to the detective to watch the magics generated by a diamond dog.  Spinning such spells were always at the fundamental level the same, but just as it would be different than a pony writing with a quill versus a diamond dog, the ink may be the same but the art in of itself was very unique.  The white magics that swirled around the captain of the guard while she spun her barrier was very telling.  The tapestry beamed with a solidity and an intent affirming as if written in stone: Protect.  The threads that spun so rapidly before the unicorn from Equestria were as if iron, steel.  Firm and study.  Structured and as fortified as a final bastion.  Efficient and the spell would perform it's purpose well.  It shouldn't be surprising that the captain of the guard were capable of such.  Canterlot's own guard captain was also a powerful unicorn that was able to shield the whole city for a time.

Rising didn't need a demonstration of the Prince's experience with the barrier, the tapestry laid before him told the whole story of what would happen.  The detective look over to his mother with a smile and simply motioned with his hoof for her to land.  Grace looked between her child and the barrier, doing as suggested and tucking her wings to land from her hovering position.  "Not a spell to trifle with," Rising agreed with the Prince.

The family remained in their huddle, partaking in small talk to help pass the time.  Star Echo was overtly delighted by the event they just witnessed and the soon to be meeting of the head library again for something even so unknown to the Prince and guards.  Grace, was a little more distressed by the detour they had happened upon.  She had been looking forward to sampling the local food and attending the theater the Prince mentioned.  Dawn was more interested in running through her checklist of things she'd need to accomplish upon returning home to begin the transactions between the two lands.  Rising said little, listening to his family while keeping his senses pressed out for any sudden changes that would require his attention.

The library appeared and the family waited, letting the diamond dog perform his work and they listened.  "Ho ho ho.  A creature of nature indeed.  Or perhaps even a spirit of nature!  We have old stories of such beings from our land as well.  Although, not in this form I dare say, ho ho ho," Star offered, stroking his mustache.   "A cleansing ritual.  I've not heard of such a thing.  Not something they need be done on a regular basis like that," Dawn pondered.  "The dark magic in this land is every present.  The tree went too long without receiving anything but.  For the pup to remove itself from the tree and know it was in danger means there is still hope...not that there was much he could do.  "Another cleansing ritual would need to be done.  Amplified.  Light magic from a Priestess would aid greatly to counteract the darkness.  The healing process would take time, but I can change the Sleeping Spell into a syphon.  One ritual won't completely fix the tree, but it could set things into motion the spell then can keep going over time.  Like a water wheel."

@EQ_Theta

On 2023-04-25 at 5:00 PM, EQ_Theta said:

“Wow! So that is a cutie mark… Is it something caused by magic? Where I am from, there is no such thing as a cutie mark, and my kind nurture talents once they are discovered. No celebration or food, only recognition and a drive to start with learning as much as we can from those who will teach us. For me, it is for carving wood using nature as my inspiration. Here, let me show you the piece I showed your friend earlier.”

"Uhuh. Teachers say it's mysterious magic, that no one can explain."

"We learn lots of stuff without the cutie mark too. The grown ups says that we still need school and stuff, but this shows what we're gonna be real good at. Just not how."

"Yeah. If I wanna be a bug scientists, I still need to learn lots of things, from smarter creatures. But maybe someday, I'll be smarter in my own way, and then I can learn others stuff. That'd be nice."

Having a talent were one thing, but knowing how to use it another thing entirely. Several of their teachers for instance, had talents in this sort of thing, long before they took the job, but they still needed to learn lots of stuff in how they did it. Others just didn't have that sort of talent in the first place. Maybe they should say tha- Uuuuh, pretty!

The colt got distracted in his thoughts, as he were shown the carvings, and started clapping enthusiastically at the sight. It seemed like this sort of thing were just generally well received, or he had been fortunate enough to meet a couple of foals, that were just generally interested in this sort of thing.

"They look really nice. My dad makes drawings for books, and when he makes stuff, it looks a little like that too, before he finishes them. He says they're lines, that have something really pretty hidden beneath it, and that it's then up to him to bring it to life. Mom says he's just sketching things first, so he can finish it easier.

Some of his old drawings kinda looked like that, before he practiced and got lots better. I bet you made even prettier stuff, after you practiced too."

He'd grin widely, enjoying this odd, but fun twist in an otherwise ordinary recess period, before the next class. Which were math, so it were just good to have something fun to remember, to keep them going through that.

On 2023-04-25 at 5:00 PM, EQ_Theta said:

“Am I correct in understanding that discovering your talent is special to ponies? And what if someone never finds their special talent? Oh… I am sorry if this is coming out all of a sudden, but I would like to know more about ponies. I've never seen or met one until today, and after being told a little bit, I am finding your kind to be curious. Maybe it is not fair for me to ask all the questions, but if you like, I can tell you more about myself as well.”

"We have a guard in town, who never got his cutie mark. He says he tried when he were younger, but then just gave up, and became happy with what he had, and were good at. He have a whole belt of medals, so it looks like he's a really good guard."

"Oooh, is that Jelly's dad? He's huuuuge! Lots of muscles."

"Hehe, yep. Jelly's fun too. She has big fangs like her dad, and hisses at bullies. I like her."

"Oh! Oh! Cutie marks. One more thing, okay? Teachers says that sometimes, what we're good at, doesn't mean that's all we gots to do. We have plenty of teachers with special talents that they're just doing for funsies, or not at all. Mr. Wave says he's talented at surfing, but he's scared of water, and likes teaching. Mrs. Clock says she never understood her cutie mark, since she doesn't know how watches work, and loses track of time.

I think it's kind of like a guide line, but you don't have to only do things with that. I know I won't, if mine isn't related to bugs. I wanna study them, and find special fun ones."

"Hey, if we can ask you questions too, then that's now? What are you then? Are you a kirin?"

"I bet he's a kobold."

"Nuhuh. And we're plenty curious. Not as much as Sauté though. She asks tons of them, all the time. The cafeteria mare sometimes starts groaning when she goes on for too long."

"Is that dark place your home? I heard kobolds live underground, where it's dark all the time."

@Rising Dusk

"Hmm... An acceptable plan, but we'll need to find records of the cleaning ritual. I will have the library scoured for such old rites, and have the word spread, that we're looking for those with old roots. Pardon the pun.

If you will excuse me, I will pass the knowledge provided on to her, and see how she will react. If you will give me a few more minutes, this should hopefully get resolved."

Marshall would return to the pup, who'd approach on her side of the barrier, and prepare to listen to him. As a diamond dog, and the only one who understood her, she were more okay with him, than several others. Even if he did wear strange garbs, and spoke oddly, compared to those she were used to.

What she were told seemed to confuse the pup at first. Marshall needed to try to explain it several ways, before it seemingly got through. Then a few more times, as she seemed alarmed. Likely due to him mistakenly explaining it like she would be made to rest again too, and not just the tree being put under a modified spell, that came from the sleeping spell originally put upon it. It seemed she calmed down eventually, and during her thinking, would pace around for a while, in a small circle. Her steps were more sure now, as she had gotten more used to walking again, after all these years, but she did not move with haste. She also seemed to be sending plenty of glances towards Rising, as if something new would happen, the next time she gazed at him, that would make her thoughts on this clearer.

It would be about five minutes. At which point, the prince had returned to them as well, and greeted Marshall as he approached. And as were proper, Marshall would greet the prince back first, before addressing the rest.

"At the risk of sounding cliché, I have good news, and bad news.

The good news is that she have agreed for you to try this funnel, and have decided to try and put a modicum of trust in what you are doing.

The bad news is, that we will not have an unlimited amount of time to then cleanse the tree as it were. It appears that we have five full moon cycles, and then she will either have to return to the tree, or something will happen. I were unable to understand what, but the way she said it, made it clear that she would do so, no matter the state the tree were in, rather than the alternative."

"That is quite the situation, Marshall."

"It is. However, it is also one that Harrowmark will see to itself. You have already done far more than anyone could ask for us, Sir Dusk, and this is something regarding our own rituals and history. I'd think ourselves the best equipped for this, and request that you ease your mind of this burden. Might I ask for this to be considered a priority, your highness?"

Necrotic would nod, with scarcely a thought.

"Of course. I will clear it with mother, but I am certain she will agree, that this is a good use of our resources."

"Splendid. I will of course, also ensure the safety of her, and try to work with the High Priestess to find a speedy solution. If you would please complete the spell as you planned, Sir Dusk, I will be most grateful, and then take it from there, whilst you return to seeing our town. After an eventful day like this, I would suggest Pickledee Street. It will provide you with some sustenance, and a chance at sampling what Harrowmark have to offer. Scarlet Drop Cider for instance, I would highly recommend."

Marshall would wait, and if Rising approached the shield, Gerthrude would lower the barrier, ending the spell, and opening her eyes again. She'd then move to the side, giving him the ample space he'd need.

The pup would stay out of his way, though stand near Marshall, nervous as to what were going to happen. As she would be for the months ahead, as the head librarian would tirelessly work out whatever he could, to see to a ritual properly be done on the tree, at least once before the period were over. The tree were likely unable to become fully uncorrupted, but they would give it their best effort. It would leave the best impression on the pup, and they were definitely curious about her. As well as some like Marshall and the prince, being concerned what would happen, if they did not help. Best to lessen the impact, as best they were able.

As for the tree, anything he'd do, it would not offer resistance. It did not have an active will in it currently, and as such, were not able to act on things, anymore than any regular tree were.

@Blitz Boom & @Props Valroa

TWILIGHT SPARKLE

"It feels like my soul had been ripped in two," Twilight gasped upon coming back to her senses. Her body felt like it was on fire and she feared no amount of rolling would ever put it out. She stayed where she was, curled up on the floor. What strength she did have, silently thanking Madame Macabre for successfully separating her and Cherish, she made an effort to look at her supposed sister. "I am happy Cherish is free ... give me a bit to recover. I don't know how long it will take but I just need to recover before I answer or ask any questions to you, Magnolia." She glanced at Last and the manetid and took in deep breaths to try and get her thoughts together but nothing came to mind due to the pain.

@Blitz Boom

DAZZLE GLEAM & DAWN STREAK

"What's this guy doing?" Dawn muttered, warily eyeing Hammond and trying to dodge where his jumps would land. She didn't like the look of him one bit.

"They ... aren't ... there?" Dazzle asked in a small voice, her eyes wide with her pupils shrunk. "N-No they should be ... there. They should be there. They always said that's their forever home!" she shouted at Scarcity; electricity zapping beneath her fur and outlining a mutltiude of scales hidden beneath her skin. She didn't care if the mare had asked her a question. She wasn't in the right state of mind to answer it at the moment after learning of her parents not living at the place she grew up in. She didn't care if the mare was patiently waiting for an answer, she had to get her frustration and panic out.

@Blitz Boom

AURORA LIGHTS

"A carton of milk is way scarier than you think it is," Aurora mumbled, sounding like she had experience in scarier-than-normal milk cartons. She shook ehr head and pranced in place a bit to keep her blood flowing through her body. She watched the gemling go away with whatever message she assumed Queen Onache whispered to it and went back to answering Happy's questions. "But to answer the feeding question, I usually associate warmth, happiness, safety? Those aren't exactly emotions ... well, maybe happiness is. Warmth and safety certainly aren't emotions, are they?"

@Blitz Boom

KARMIC FATE & ATZY

"You know, something less dangerous might be in order. I don't even know how long we have to get to a mountain in order to blow it up," Karmic told Blitz but was certainly getting fascinated by the amount of explosives the filly had lying around, much less tucked away into various nooks and crannies of the warehouse. "Maybe uh .... throw an explosive at a target range, perhaps?"

"Oh that is so so cool!" Atzy said excitedly. She stared up in wonderment at the night sky and then back at Molotov when it had finished timing out. She pranced in place and began to excitedly ask Molotov a bunch of rapidfire questions. "How many more do you have? Can you throw them all at once? How many have you thrown at once? Do they connect to each other and make one super giant night sky!?"

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

On 2023-04-27 at 6:23 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"They look really nice. My dad makes drawings for books, and when he makes stuff, it looks a little like that too, before he finishes them. He says they're lines, that have something really pretty hidden beneath it, and that it's then up to him to bring it to life. Mom says he's just sketching things first, so he can finish it easier.

Some of his old drawings kinda looked like that, before he practiced and got lots better. I bet you made even prettier stuff, after you practiced too."

He'd grin widely, enjoying this odd, but fun twist in an otherwise ordinary recess period, before the next class. Which were math, so it were just good to have something fun to remember, to keep them going through that.

"We have a guard in town, who never got his cutie mark. He says he tried when he were younger, but then just gave up, and became happy with what he had, and were good at. He have a whole belt of medals, so it looks like he's a really good guard."

Odd that the young colts mentioned Jelly, a name that got Lin rather interested in their conversation after recalling having heard that from her travels. Seems like that Stargazer’s child can be tough, and one of the two young ponies here might be smitten by that. The concept of cutie marks was still rather strange to the longma; a magically created image that tells others what one’s special talent is sounded nice visually, but having an image that may be permanent could cause some insecurities. It might make others unfamiliar with them stare, and that may lead to unfortunate outcomes. 

“I appreciate your kind words about the carvings, and while I do not see myself getting a cutie mark, what you said was rather interesting. Maybe I can learn more about it in the future.”

There was a certain complication to cutie marks that may have stumped Horu. What if someone didn’t like their cutie mark or it came about because of an accident? It stands for him to wonder and question just what influences Equestria’s magic to confer a cutie mark and if it has ever been wrong. That would be a question for another time and for someone more knowledgeable because the young ponies are just as curious about Horu and his kind at that moment.

On 2023-04-27 at 6:23 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"Hey, if we can ask you questions too, then that's now? What are you then? Are you a kirin?"

"I bet he's a kobold."

"Nuhuh. And we're plenty curious. Not as much as Sauté though. She asks tons of them, all the time. The cafeteria mare sometimes starts groaning when she goes on for too long."

"Is that dark place your home? I heard kobolds live underground, where it's dark all the time."

“I am not familiar with your guesses, but to answer your question, I am a longma. It is, uh… difficult to explain what exactly it is, but you can imagine a pony with horns, webbed wings, and more lizard-like appearances, but no magic. And this dark place is not my home. It is more like a forest; nature surrounds us where I’m from, and we live off the gifts the forest has for us.”

Great emphasis is placed on taking care of the forest and the parts of it where the longma reside. After all, it keeps the longma going with their access to natural resources, and exploiting it offers no incentives. However, as much as Horu was enjoying this conversation, he wasn’t quite sure if there were moments when he’d be asked to disclose more sensitive aspects of the longma. It was already taboo that he was having this conversation in the first place, but the more he talked, the less he saw of this being wrong. There was genuine curiosity, and it only seemed right that he would offer what answer he could and respectfully decline more sensitive matters. 

“We live in villages with some homes built on trees. I don’t think now is a good time to show you because there are things that I cannot talk about. Others of my kind will think poorly of me if they learned I have been sharing this information with creatures like yourselves, and I do not want to put you in trouble because of it.” 

Said trouble seemed to be rearing its head again elsewhere within the vicinity, as there seemed to be some commotion coming around the front. Though being at the back of Horu’s workshop, Sen could be heard talking again around the front. This time didn’t fare well compared to the previous hunter that was just passing by.

“…I’m telling you, he is busy. Just give him a moment, and he’ll come and see you… He doesn’t want to be disturbed right now, so there’s no need to come in….”

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom@Kujamih
The kobolds weren't confused by the names at all, in fact, they didn't even think about them enough to realize the explanation was meant for everyone and not just for shark, in fact, it made lot more sense than pony names, since at least the kitsune had some rules on it, though the concept of last names was something kobolds, or at least the communities they had interacted with, didn't have, they had just the single name, and any addons depended on context, if there was someone by the same name, then a descriptive term was added before or after it, be it a detail in appearance, or a personality quirk, sometimes it was the profession if relevant, their parent's name, the direction of their home....whatever was the best one for the specific situation. That was partly why Trox was so open for calling the kitsune by what he saw as amusing nickname, nicknames were a big part of the community they grew up in, and kinda necessary, because when the population in your neighborhood could easily double in less than a year, repeat names were far from rare.

They were calm but prepared when Starlight did the spell, they had no reason to distrust anyone in here, but prejudice went deep when your whole species had been mistreated by specific species, so they had instinctual mistrust towards powerful ponies and their spells. They whispered something to each other when the kitsune appeared, and based on their expressions, they found something amusing about the situation. 

The siblings met the older kitsune's gaze with healthy suspicion of their own, newcomers were always a risk, especially when they knew nothing about their mindset. They were slightly more surprised that the kitsune knew what they were too, but not much still, since they didn't know how common kobolds were in where the kitsune came from, and because if a kitsune would know, it would be the elders, since elders generally were lot more knowledgeable than the younger individuals in all cultures, especially if it was a title instead of description of age. 

The twins stayed quiet during the whole interaction, and patiently waited for the kitsune to finish their conversation, they found nothing odd about it since it was just an another language, one neither of them had happened to study, because while both of them knew some parts of other languages besides the main three they spoke, kitsune language wasn't one of them. They agreed with shark in one thing though, even if they didn't show it in any way, the older kitsune was indeed pretty.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Naturally" Ruby simply stated, though the reason for her not letting it go was a different that Leviathan may have expected, she didn't do it to remind Leviathan about being captured, rather, she did it to remind herself how she had been fooled by it, she felt it had been a stupid mistake and thus wanted to remind herself just how stupid she had been.

When Leviathan came back, Ruby was in the same spot still, literally, she hadn't moved at all, while Charir was more actively moving around and smelling the air, be it still in the field of view of Ruby "You stayed so close that I didn't lose you in the first place." Ruby responded in maybe a bit cryptic way, "I'm more concerned about you taste in food." she said the latter in not necessarily playful, but notably less serious manner. "Our turn" she then stated, walking off with Charir.

Charir came back relatively quickly, having caught from all things a badger, carrying it on his back until he dropped it and got eating, cutting the furry skin out of the way before really digging in, ultimately eating everything but the skin, biggest bones and the skull, which he the buried. 

Ruby meanwhile, was nowhere to be seen, or heard, or smelled, Charir had fully finished his meal and buried everything and she still wasn't back, though Charir at least didn't seem like he was worried, he just calmly cleaned himself and was his usual self.

If Leviathan decided to wait, Ruby would eventually come back a whole hour later, without a meal, but licking her snout to clean off few dots of blood from assumed prey, looking preoccupied by something. If she however decided to go looking for her, she wouldn't be too hard to find, as Charir seemed to know where she was, and she would be found sitting on rock, staring into nothingness, snout still bloody from a meal. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@EQ_Theta

On 2023-04-28 at 2:52 PM, EQ_Theta said:

“I am not familiar with your guesses, but to answer your question, I am a longma. It is, uh… difficult to explain what exactly it is, but you can imagine a pony with horns, webbed wings, and more lizard-like appearances, but no magic. And this dark place is not my home. It is more like a forest; nature surrounds us where I’m from, and we live off the gifts the forest has for us.”

"This is not their home. It is mine."

"Ooooh. That kinda makes sense."

"I think I saw her go into that place too, back at the park."

"Did she still have the duck with her?"

"I dunno. Mom was pulling my hoof, and saying we had to go."

She hadn't seen the problem, but her mom had acted like she were suddenly in a hurry. Which was just silly. They still got to grandma twenty minutes ahead of time, but she were always so worried that the line at the bakery would suddenly grind to a halt, and she wouldn't have time to get a cake before visiting. Grandma were pretty strict with time sometimes though, so that sorta made sense.

“We live in villages with some homes built on trees. I don’t think now is a good time to show you because there are things that I cannot talk about. Others of my kind will think poorly of me if they learned I have been sharing this information with creatures like yourselves, and I do not want to put you in trouble because of it.” 

It seemed like they wanted to say more, especially about how strange it sounded, that Horu couldn't speak to them about stuff, because of others like him, but then a most dreadful, horrifying sound would come from behind them: The school bell. The sign that it were time to go inside, and have math.

"Awh, this were starting to be real fun."

"Yeah, but you know Miss Maple will be mad if we don't get inside.

Goodbye, everypony!"

"Come back another time, okay? I wanna hear more about you, mistah."

The foals would both wave, with big smiles on their faces, and flutter off, before the teachers would start to call on them too much. One already had though, and as they approached, they'd be among the last fourth o9f the students to enter the school. Wasn't much time they had, but the foals would remember and treasure this for a while. And they'd need exciting stuff like that in mind, to get through the next class.

As they left, Omen would wait a few seconds, then start to close the gate, unless there were any objections to it from Horu.

"...I think Rosa would have had some big words for this. I do not. It seemed to go well though, yes?"

“…I’m telling you, he is busy. Just give him a moment, and he’ll come and see you… He doesn’t want to be disturbed right now, so there’s no need to come in….”

Omen's ear perked, as she heard things from the gate behind them.

"You should go back. It sounds like someone is looking for you. I will close the gate when you are home."

Lin could go through too, and then at the end, she would go. It sounded like something were brewing, which might mean that she should stay out of sight... Or she needed to be here, to protect her friends. It would be the latter that were her plan, though she'd remain silent for a time, depending on how things went.

In case someone barged in, and tried to attack Sen, Lin, herself, Shrimp, or Horu, she would intercept them/their weapons with gates, to keep them from hurting her group. She did not think about how that might look to others. Only that it would stop those around her from getting hurt.

In case they decided to stay however, and if Horu even wanted the gate to the school open some more, she could do that too. She were only guessing how things might go, based on what she had seen happened, when others were acting somewhat similar to this. That being, someone were in your home, looking for you? Must mean it were important to go and see them. Unless they had a weapon, in which case, it were important to get away from them.

@Catpone Cerberus @Kujamih

Eventually, the three kitsune stopped talking, and Hatzhune would look up and around to the various creatures, a bit more tense than she were before, and grabbed hold of her watering can.

"Of all the things that could happen, I did not think this... I will try and inform the elders. I can't say how long it will be before they answer though, or what they will do.

Hachi, Zhing? I expect you to behave until then, and stay safe. Don't leave the school again, until this is done."

"We won't, Mother."

They didn't like being confined like this, but they knew that look in her eyes. She wasn't trying to be strict to discipline them, or show she were disappointed, or annoyed they had left in the first place. She were worried about them. And rightfully so. An Oni were bad news, and these were her kits stuck in the middle of this situation.

She'd give them a small hug, and whisper something into their ears, then take a step back, and with a twirl of her body, the sound of wind, and a handful of sakura leaves on the floor, she'd be gone. Back to Neighpon, to deliver some dreadful news.

"Dreadful situation, but at least it sounds like there's some resolution that can come from all of this.

You two will heed her word, and stay in school then, yes?"

Both the kits nodded. They'd do what their mother asked, and not make her worry further. Besides, they were honestly scared of the Oni, and being here in this school, seemed like it'd be safer. There had to be a lot of wards and stuff here, right? Surely they wouldn't leave a place like this heavily unwarded? For their kind, that would be unthinkable. Protecting the kits, and the leadership, were without a doubt, the most important things to keep safe. The former even more so than the latter. The children were their future after all. They needed to be prioritized.

"Them in check, I would ask the same of you two, but since you're adults, I can't force you to follow that. Can I at least trust you to keep an eye on one another?"

She'd be looking at Shark and Light as she said that. As mentioned, they were technically adults, and could do what they wanted to. She could at worst expel them, but over leaving? That would set a bad precedent. They did have free will after all. She just hoped they'd use it to do something wise here.

"Shark protect mate, from bad thing."

It didn't tell Glimmer much, but hopefully Light would be able to make some sort of more sensible decision. Whatever it might be, she'd send him a somewhat tired look, and hope it were one that included keeping them here. It seemed Shark would follow him at least. Which left the last pair, who were frankly quite unique, but still present now, and she had to address that.

"That leaves you then. I'm sure you can understand that while you're welcome to seek shelter here, the circumstances are so that I can't in good faith, put you in the same room as the children. They don't need the added pressure of new faces just now. And I mean no disrespect, but you do stand out, more than most.

You seem to be part of this too, so might I simply ask that you perhaps go to the library, the swimming hall, or towards Shark or Light's rooms, whilst I wait to hear back from Mrs. Hatzhune and her elders, as it were? It is easier to find you, if you remain here in the school. And if you need sustenance, feel free to use the vending machines. They refill magically, but does have a timer per creature using them, so please chose wisely on what to pick.

Unless you have something you wish to discuss further, I have certain duties I would need to attend to, if everything is acceptable?"

She'd be nice and hospitable, but she did also have a lot to do, both in her office, and out there, dealing with the young creatures in this place, their families, and whomever else had come here for shelter. *sigh* Hopefully this would all soon clear up...

===================================================================

@Catpone Cerberus

On 2023-04-30 at 12:29 PM, Catpone Cerberus said:

When Leviathan came back, Ruby was in the same spot still, literally, she hadn't moved at all, while Charir was more actively moving around and smelling the air, be it still in the field of view of Ruby "You stayed so close that I didn't lose you in the first place." Ruby responded in maybe a bit cryptic way, "I'm more concerned about you taste in food." she said the latter in not necessarily playful, but notably less serious manner. "Our turn" she then stated, walking off with Charir.

Leviathan took a good bite of the fish before she responded. One which started with her shrugging her shoulders.

"I didn't really feel like going far, and y'know, half water aligned dragon. Who mostly eat ocean life, and it ain't like I can just find a shark to snack on."

The rivers just weren't big enough for that sorta thing around here at least. Sides, fresh water sharks tended to be so small, they more or less counted as a regular fish anyway, far as she were concerned. And not one of the tastier ones. Bass were more rich in the good taste, and their scales didn't get stuck in her teeth as much.

She'd go to a nearby tree that she hadn't wrecked, and sat down, leaning her back casually against it, while eating, and waiting for her draconic duo to return.

On 2023-04-30 at 12:29 PM, Catpone Cerberus said:

Charir came back relatively quickly, having caught from all things a badger, carrying it on his back until he dropped it and got eating, cutting the furry skin out of the way before really digging in, ultimately eating everything but the skin, biggest bones and the skull, which he the buried.

Didn't take long for Charir to return. Alone though, which did surprise her a bit, but he were a healthy, strong young dragon. He were more than capable of going hunting on his own, and walk without supervision. As were Ruby, and frankly, Leviathan felt worse for the environment they were in, than worry about them. Especially Ruby, who were likely the apex predator in the area.

Really were a shame, that these two didn't have much interest in the markets and such though. The amount of nice skins they'd have to work with, the way they were eating, would fetch a fine sum among some creatures. Provided they got a bit more prep work, but that weren't all that hard. She knew how to get that kinda thing done. But they had their way of doing things, and who were she to stop a predator, from deciding how to deal with their prey.

She'd enjoy slowly eating her fish, taking small bites, and savoring the taste. Though she did get bored after a while, and started to roast the fish as she ate it. A nicely grilled fish, were not that bad. This were more of a quick fry, but still, weren't bad, and it gave it a bit of crunch.

Only thing she'd leave, were the fish's skeleton, which she'd bury too, to show Charir some solidarity, and then returned to waiting for Ruby. And waiting... And waiting some more...

Honestly, after about half an hour, she did start to get worried. Where had she gone, and what were she doing? And more to the point, whom were she doing it to? She hadn't gone to hunt down and eat a cart someone were pulling... Right?

Leviathan wanted to think better of Ruby, but she did worry, and then not long after, came thoughts that she might've gotten hurt. What if a dragon hunter with skills, had gotten hold of her? What if it were Ludvig? The Hide Hunter were a monster, but a dangerously effective one. He might be able to do something, even if Ruby seemed by far the strongest. And what if she were injured before that? She could have stumbled down some cliffs.

She'd go chase after her, but she had Charir to think of too... Which were why she'd try and take him with her, as she about 35 minutes after being separated from Ruby, would rise up, and begin wandering in the direction that the dragoness had gone. She had gotten to the first tree where she'd have to pass, and signal back to Charir, before she stopped, and thought about this. It hadn't even been an hour, and Ruby were a grown, albeit very dangerous dragoness. What were the odds that her paranoia were right?

"*sigh* You're starting to lose it, Leviathan..."

So she'd turn around, and go back to Charir again. Maybe she could wait a bit longer. Perhaps try and teach him some magic again? She hadn't it in her, to really go wild right now, but ahs could dance some sparks between her claws, like they were poker chips, without it costing too much, and try to pass them on to him. It seemed to have worked sorta like that the last time.

Regardless of how it went, when Ruby eventually did return, Leviathan let out a small sigh of relief, and turned to see that the dragoness were acting a bit funny. She seemed to have eaten elsewhere, judging by the blood, but she were unusual quiet, as she returned... Also like she were in thought.

"Hi again. Dare I ask what you did?"

================================================================

@Sekel @Props Valroa

"You are still feeling it? Hmm, perhaps your alicorn magic are making you more sensitive to things like this? The pain should have subsided by now. How peculiar.

You should be safe though. If your soul were frayed, we'd know. Partially because you would not have stopped screaming. It is not a pretty experience, nor sight."

This were the same sort of thing that tended to happen with old, powerful poltergeists. They were so all over the place and burdened, that their soul started to fray, and spread around. made them a hassle to try and deal with, but more than that, just ensured that their pain got worse and worse. Which made them stronger, as emotions just heightened their power, and pain were a powerful emotion. It were a horrible mess, and a tragic way for any soul to end up.

"I'll have something brought here, to provide you with something after your ordeal. Just a moment."

Madamme Macabre would wander to the door, open it slightly, and speak to whomever were on the other side of it, in a hushed tone. Some sound from the other side, before she closed the door, would then indicate that whomever were moving away. A sound right after though, also made clear someone approached, and as Macabre opened the door, they'd get to see who It were.

"Is e-everything okay? I were told Madamme M-Macabre and the princess needed to do something with a... T-There's sure a lot of strange magic in here. Are you safe?"

Zeehva looked a little worse for the wear, from last they had seen her, but she had still shown, and were going around, feeling some latent magic, but not sure what sort, and she were hesitant to try and collect a sample, before she did. For all she knew, it were dangerous.

========================================================================

@Sekel

Hammond would not pick up on his presence being less than wanted at all. He simply jumped about, completely silent, and looked at the guests from a few different angles, to try and get some sort of idea, about who and what they were. He were about to go over and poke at them in fact, when the bad news were given, and Dazzle appeared to have a reaction. Something which made him jump away, and go over to Scarcity.

The mare would remain completely calm, and pet Hammond, as he placed himself in front of her, on the small desk.

"Dazzle, p-please calm down. I'm sure it's nothing bad. Maybe they're just on vacation?"

"Or it might well be that they are simply out to try and find their daughter. In either case, there is at this point, nothing that signals that there is a reason for concern. That said, I understand your frustration at the matter. Dearest sister, might I ask you stand close to your other friend? Your wards should keep you both safe from an elemental outburst."

"But... I'm not warded."

"If you're not, I paid far too much for that pendant I gave you."

Last had always imagined there were a reason for Scarcity's insistence about this thing... Among other things she had been given. Several of which she were currently wearing. How many of them had something to them? Probably more than she thought. Maybe even some things she weren't thinking of...

If something were to blast towards them, a barrier of sorts would take the impact. The same would be the case, if something were going towards Scarcity. Unless it were a more concentrated attack, in which case,  an odd thing would happen. Specifically, a dark, swirling hole would open up in front of her and Hammond, out of nowhere, and the attack would be blasted towards someplace dark and grey, without visible light, beyond a soft, pale glow. The opening would close again shortly after that, leaving little room to investigate.

For the time being, it seemed they needed to wait for Dazzle to calm down, before they could go further. And so, Scarcity, Hammond and Stare at least, would do so. It were hard to say how Dawn would act.

========================================================

@Sekel

"Warmth, happiness, and safety... I ain't an expert, but I think you might be drawn to the sorta feeling we'd call *Blissful*. Or *Contentment*, I suppose. Y'know, the sort where you don't have a worry, cause you ain't cold, life's going grand, and you ain't afraid for yourself, or those 'round you?

That's a pretty family related emotion too. The sorta thing when kids ain't feeling a care in the world, and they don't go worrying 'bout things like if they'll be fed today, or have a arm bed for the night.

If you wanted to go and foster more of those sorta feelings to feed from, or harvest to excess... Schools, orphanages, elder homes- There's plenty of ways you can harvest more than enough fer yourself, and your future hive, while being one of them pillars of the community. It's like the Cheshire hive, that puts on shows, to foster more joy to harvest. You'd make sure that folks would feel contentment, by helping 'em with their worries, and there'd be stuff to go with.

Or you know, you could drug 'em up proper, so they fell constantly blissful. But I'm assuming you wanna be one of the good queens, yeah?"

Happy were more than happy to help, no pun intended, but this were not his specialty. The sorta stuff he usually dealt with, were emotions getting drained the old fashioned, cruel way. But that wasn't the best, and he knew it. And the alternative way, would probably work well for a queen like Aurora, who were more of a softie. She'd need to go talk to the small hive then though. They were more up to speed with things like this.

"Ain't bad for ya though, yeah? I mean, you could be feeding off of something like sadism, or sorrow. Sadism hives are crazy, and sorrow hives are disturbing. Not as much as bloodlust ones, but still, bad omens.

Least our hive's just priming on devotion. Simple and plain stuff."

====================================================================

@Sekel

"Oh! I know a good place for kabooms!"

Blitz jumped in place, excited that she'd get to show some of her playthings off a little bit. Most only wanted to see the shinies that Molotov made, but explosives were something that should be treasured too. They might not last forever, but that brief moment between creation turning to destruction, were breathtaking, if you looked at it right.

"Oh, I got loads. It was a fun lil' side project I ran at a point. They don't really connect though, but keep 'em close enough, and it'll look like it. Ain't a good idea to try and toss 'em all near the same point though,. I tried that, and when they went on attempting to shut down, they clattered together. It were like dealing with a bunch of oysters, except I had to use a week to sort out the internal mechanisms with a screwdriver, after I got 'em opened.

Like I said, feel free to take one. Got more of 'em than I know what to do with."

Molotov meanwhile, would address the excited changeling, who seemed to be well interested in these sorta things, with a big grin on his face. Always good to hear that someone liked his work, and were not going at him about the implications and yada yada, the robot uprising. Some folks were weird.

He would also ignite his horn though, and float out something else from a drawer. It looked like a head-sized, chrome dome. The inside of the clear dome, had several wires and reinforced metal, but nothing that showed for sure what this were made for.

"Aight, something here. If you're gonna show some explosives, you might as well test this revised version at the same time, Blitz. Yeah? It's something meant to contain the blast. I figure it'd be something good for road work, dealing with bombs, that sorta thing, and her bombs are the best way to test it, cause every time it does work, she ups her game to break it.

Thinking it'll help contain a magical blast, once we get through a certain point, so a potential miniature holding cell. Y'know, once I get air holes in there, but science ain't quick. It's a process."

"Nuhuh. Sometimes science if quick and full of fun!"

Blitz giggled. If the two would be game for it, they could show off an explosive, and not have to go a mile outside of town to do so. Blitz weren't fooling around, if she really tried to put some effort in her explosives. Though she could use something tamer if it were.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

Ah, the ol' good news, and bad news.  Nothing can ever be easy it seems.  Alright, so now they are on a bit of a time line.  Five full moons could be considered a good amount of time, but there was an important variable missing from the equation.  It was difficult to tell how effective the ritual would be to fit into that timeframe, even with the syphon spell.  The pup needed to return to the tree at some point, understandable.  The ritual just needed to get the ball rolling though.  After five moons, there should be a good chance the tree would be safe enough for the pup to at least return to while the syphon continues to drain the darkness for longer.

"Of course," the detective agreed.  Stepping closer to the tree as Gerthrude lowered her protective barrier.  "Reshaping," Rising commented to nopony in particular.  Turning a sleep spell, that he just reinforced he might add, into something like a syphon was going to need some effort.  Sometimes it was a shame others couldn't see the actual work put into what he does.  His own little secret, oh well.  Rising ignited his horn.  A troop of black wisps leapt from the orange glow of his magic.  Step one, he needed to defuse the current sleep well.  Wisps went to work.  They snipped and slashed at the air around the tree.  Threads around the spell fell loose, but had to quickly be moved or reattached.  It was careful work.  Doing things in the wrong sequence could easily cause the spell to become something else, like accidently teleport the tree away, or freeze it completely.  Or worse, the arcane energy flowing through the spell could enter into a feedback loop and crater the neighborhood.  Things to keep to himself, most likely.  It took a few moments, but the detective managed to dismantle the sleep spell into a safe enough state for reshaping.

Step two.  Continue to unravel the back end of the spell while reforming the front end of the spell into the new spell.  Yay magic juggling.  Rising was use to it.  Threads from the original caster mixed with his sister's as he reformed them into a new matrix to begin the syphon spell.  Tendrils connected themselves to dark magics the tree had been feeding on.  As more the spell became available, he created a an area within the matrix to the pool the syphoned dark magic.  This was for the purpose that when the ritual would come, the light magic could 'wash' the dark magic drained out of the tree away.  Then the spell could continue to syphon more dark magic into the pool until the next ritual.  Lastly, with the remaining of the spell threads he had available, he put into a one way filter.  Using mostly his sister's magic to create a block in letting the dark magic from the land creeping back up the syphon.

It wasn't the fastest solution to the problem, but he did what he could to help.  A few moments longer and the sleep spell was now a syphon spell.  It was, a complete mess.  A tangle of threads with a mix of old gray, frayed magic and his sister's bright rainbow threads.  The spell did its work and was solid though, even if it wasn't pretty.  Even in the world of magic, Rising could never escape function over fashion.  Alright, so maybe it was best others couldn't see what Rising did to another's spell.

He whipped his brow and dismissed his magic and wisps.  "Done," he informed the group.  Rising could already see it.  It was small, a small drip of dark magic already moving down one of the tapestry's threads and heading toward the pool.  Another drip, and another.

• Brohoof 1