Rainbow Rocks

Lightwing

WAS RARITY OKAY JERIC? HOW WAS HER CHARACTERIZATION?

PLEASE TELL ME

Human Rarity was in character throughout. There is one scene that will make you hate Photo Finish though. She contributed to the the solution to the Dazzlings, constantly introduced her talent for fashion design (much to Applejacks annoyance). And you see human Rarity freak out a few times. One in joy and one in tears. Also a cute freak out during a nail polish mishap

These friends needed that one character to help tie them all together ;)

• Brohoof 3

I just got back from seeing RR. I loved it! I liked the first EQG, but this one blew it out of the water! Could've used more Derpy though. :muffins:

5 stars for sure! :muffins:

I'm all PUMPED and GIDDY now, I keep giggling, and singing along with the music on my phone, everyone at Safeway was looking at me like I was insane. I just have all this energy to burn after watching RR. :muffins:

• Brohoof 5

Staff have said that none of the mane six will date. there ya go, instant noncanon, just add water.

They also said that this film would have no impact on the FiM universe, but that ending kinda shoots that all to hell. And Twilight was crushing on him throughout the film. Whether they date is almost irrelevant. She wubs the guy and gave him that look. That counts so much more than anything we have seen before.

:o

• Brohoof 1

Anyways, time for additional thoughts.

They seem to be acknowledging some of the flaws from the first movie. They realized the bumping into each other thing was annoying, they make a meta joke about it. They realize Sunset Demon was ridiculous, they make meta jokes about how ridiculous it is.

As for Flash Sentry, it looks like they're trying to give him a personality by giving him more emotional range but he still doesn't do much besides get angry and be under the spell.

As for other flaws, that book Sunset used to bring Twilight to the human world is a bit of a plot convenience. She just... has it cause apparently she had it when she was Celestia's student. Also, there is a bit of an inconsistency with Twilight's singing ability. In one scene, she is singing terribly and then she sings better.

Pinkie at one point had a brilliant moment where she said something really smart. I fanboyed inside during that.

I like how the big hero here was Sunset Shimmer. You'd think it be Twilight as always, but not it's Sunset. Also, some nice character development for her.

And, that ending where even Vynl helps. I would say that's just more fan pandering, but it actually is fan service that makes since. The dazzlings were controlling the minds of the students through music. And Vynl didn't hear it because she had headphones on so she's not affected by it. Also, she had a nice base cannon.

The songs are OK I guess. They're nothing spectacular. My favorite would have to be the battle of the bands song.

• Brohoof 1

Was big mac in the movie outside the better than ever song?

Yes. He also had a speaking line. :mellow:

Anyways, time for additional thoughts.

As for other flaws, that book Sunset used to bring Twilight to the human world is a bit of a plot convenience. She just... has it cause apparently she had it when she was Celestia's student. Also, there is a bit of an inconsistency with Twilight's singing ability. In one scene, she is singing terribly and then she sings better.

I  completely agreed with that until the end of the film.

Now the book has a purpose going forward as Princess Twilight and Sunset Shimmer will communicate back and forth. Sunset will seek advice and help from Twilight or send reports just as Twilight used to with her letters to Celestia. Opens the door to a format for Equestria Academy and/or Equestria Girls 3. When they introduced that back into the series, I think it ceased becoming a simple contrivance.

• Brohoof 1

I liked Equestria Girls. I also think the negative reaction to Flash Sentry was hysterical! It came across as "How dare Twilight have a crush on someone that isn't ME?!?!"

The reason why I don't like Flash is because he a lifeless and borning character, and really shouldn't be with a actual develop character like Twilight.

Plus it's just shits all over Faust orginal ideals.

Edited by StarBot

This movie is amazing. Easily blows EqG 1 out of the water. The characters for the "new" Sunset Shimmer, and the Dazzlings were great, the score was just a 1000/10 and the story felt more akin to the season 4 finale in terms of depth then an EqG movie. I give this movie a 9/10.

• Brohoof 2

And, that ending where even Vynl helps. I would say that's just more fan pandering, but it actually is fan service that makes since. The dazzlings were controlling the minds of the students through music. And Vynl didn't hear it because she had headphones on so she's not affected by it. Also, she had a nice base cannon.

The second we w3re shown the Dazzling's song a couple months back, I knew that'd be an integral element to their defeat. Can't control what can't hear you. :P

• Brohoof 1

Oh! I didn't mention the Dazzlings.

Evans was great as Adagio, and while I was annoyed that they used the ditzy trope for Sonata Dusk, I admit I found her humorous. I found the scene in the darkened hallway with Sunset vs the Dazzlings playing off her insecurities to be a great role reversal moment and a nice call back to the original film. Also, CHS needs maintenance help apparently. :D

• Brohoof 1

It was brilliant. I absolutely loved the movie. I had my suspicions about the premise but as usual the minds at DHX managed to work it into something that went well above anything I could have expected. Easily a 9.5/10. And props to Danny I. for creating so many new pieces that were divine to listen to as well as complemented the movie so thoroughly. Here's to hoping the end credits were confirmation of EQG3, as I will most certainly be the first in line to see that.

• Brohoof 1

Plus it's just shits all over Faust orginal ideals.

So not an issue for me at all. You cut and run ... you lose any control. I prefer post Faust MLP as a whole anyway ... So they have my permission to stretch the fabric if needed.

Like DS9 was not in line with Roddenberry's vision. Shitting on the creator can lead to great stories ... consider it fertilizer instead. :D

• Brohoof 2

So I just saw it in theater like 39 mins ago. And I have to say the first one was not great, I liked it, but it was poorly done. Now Rainbow Rocks is AMAZING!!! it is so much better than the last one, better than most episodes of the show. Tons of shout outs to the bronies, tones of brony favorite character featured, and *spoilers* (not really) a fanon ship is made official. Amazing music throughout. over all just awesome! 

• Brohoof 2

Oh my lord that movie is quite the spectacle. Better then the first in my opinion.

There were of course things that rubbed me the wrong way but still worth the watch my fellow Bronies.

I had a cold but I went and saw it anyway. Totally worth it.

The songs sound amazing when they're coming out of the speakers in a theater. Lots of stuff going on in them. My crazy "Dazzlings = NIN" theory was not off.

Oh, and random Daft Punk reference:

DAFT%20PUNK33.jpg

I have a fever now, so I'm probably going to go take a nap now.

Or keep posting. It's about 50/50

• Brohoof 2

The songs sound amazing when they're coming out of the speakers in a theater. Lots of stuff going on in them. My crazy "Dazzlings = NIN" theory was not off.

DAFT%20PUNK33.jpg

I didn't get that reference until ghost told me :(

I didn't get that reference until ghost told me :(

I didn't get it until I was having lunch afterwards, and I was thinking "don't Daft Punk like wear masks or something?" and looked them up on my phone. I'm pretty lame.

• Brohoof 1

DAFT%20PUNK33.jpg

Oh that's why the whole theater freaked out during that part.
  • Brohoof 1

This is a page where you can discuss/analyze the movie Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks!

Now, I myself will not be putting in any input (for now), as I have not seen the movie yet. This also means that I will not be reading this thread, as to not spoil the movie for myself. As soon as I do see the movie, I'll post a full blown review on a different thread, and on this one I'll just add in my comparisons to everypony else's feelings.

So to state it clearly, this is just an open discussion where everypony can put their thoughts/afterthoughts about the movie.

Happy Reviewing!

• Brohoof 1

I don't know how the analysis is gonna react. I mean, it had flaws. But I didn't find the flaws that anger inducing. In fact, they seem to have acknowledged some of the flaws from the first movie. They made a couple meta jokes about some of them.

Don't worry, they'll find a way to suck all the joy out of the movie.

They always do.

Pro Tip: Just try to ignore all the fun songs and jokes and stuff and find stupid bullshit to fixate on.

• Brohoof 3

so far, I only have an audio version I've listened to, and seen the very ending (minus the post credits scitwi)

the ending for anyone who wants it.

So far, I cannot really comment on the visuals of the movie, as I was limited to audio only. So no added points for those fan pandering moments.

And as it stands right now, I'd give it a 6/10. The Dazzlings songs were great (but again, already released). And it was kinda fun to hear the bickering between the humane 6.

And the ending (the only part I've visually seen) was fairly decent (if nearly 100% standard for FiM, something I still hold against it). So with only having listened to the audio, I'd rate it a 6 or a 5.5/10.