Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which school year stressed you out the most?

iceestarz

Junior Year of high school.

I am ahead of my peers, on track to graduate by the end of the year. I had already been accepted to 7 colleges and was preparing for it. I had a full time job on top of a part time job (on the weekends) as well as having a full class schedule (I graduated with a 4.0 GPA).  BUT the stupid state (I was in foster care) stepped in a said I couldn't graduate at the end of the year and I couldn't be working so much, and they took 90% of all the money I had saved up for college (I actually wasn't allowed to have to a job due to 'liability', but after 3 months they reversed that verdict but didn't give MY money back). I had to take senior year, and redo everything (FAFSA, scholarships, grants, etc) to get funding for college in my senior year (I found out if I went one more semester in high school, I would have had enough of the correct credits to graduate TWICE! I had 38 credits by the end of my senior year, when I only needed 24)

So all that hard work went down the hole. None of my accomplishments were recognized, and by the time I stepped foot on my college campus, I had $10.00 to my name because all the money I saved up went towards rent for the summer, which by Christmas break I ended up homeless because I had no home to go back to and I was in a city where I knew no one, had no car let alone license (foster care wouldn't allow it), and no friends because I focused on my studies and not socializing.

• Brohoof 2

My Sophomore year in High school (10th Grade).

The reason being, is because we had these Graduation tests that we had to take and pass or else we could not Graduate. Of course, you had to retake them if you failed them and if there was maybe one or a few you did not pass by the time it was Graduation time, you were not able to Graduate.

Lucky for me, I was in this program called "IEP" that gave some people extra help. A.K.A Special Ed. I was in there for bad Anxiety and A.D.D. If you were in IEP, you could Graduate either way, even if you failed them. I only did not pass one and that was Math. But, what was stressful, was all year you heard about those d*mn things and did nothing but study them, study that, review this, do this and do that CONSTANT. There also so many projects that year and it was stressful for me, It was work after work and barely any breaks because we ABSOLUTELY had to study these Graduation tests. For me being in IEP with bad Anxiety, it was so overwhelming. I got so behind and I got stressed even more.

Some people tried to say that was their "easiest" year, but that was the hardest for me. Freshman year would be my second. I would never repeat that year ;_;

I only know a little bit about IEP. My brother is special ed, he's not completely special needs like some of the kids, but he has his issues. He can socialize just fine, and whatever but he has delays and other stuff.

I have so many tests to worry about. Every year we have tests we have to pass, if our scores don't add up at the end of senior year we don't walk. So my graduation is riding on doing well on the state tests. But some of the tests I don't have to take because I moved. Freshman year I went to the high school I'm at now. Sophomore year and most of junior year I was in Washington state, the last couple months of my junior year and all of my senior year I'm at the high school I went to freshman year. So in total I've been to 3 high schools, I also did 3 classes on k12 sophomore year since I was depressed and wanted to drop out of public school.

So it's been pretty stressful all over :nom: I hate tests. So much stress. I feel like tests over general areas such as math shouldn't determine if you can move on in life. Some people are just bad in certain areas or are bad at test taking. It shouldn't determine a student's worth to move on into the real world. Tests don't determine a student's worth to society.

Edited by Cupcakes14
  • Brohoof 2

I only know a little bit about IEP. My brother is special ed, he's not completely special needs like some of the kids, but he has his issues. He can socialize just fine, and whatever but he has delays and other stuff.

I have so many tests to worry about. Every year we have tests we have to pass, if our scores don't add up at the end of senior year we don't walk. So my graduation is riding on doing well on the state tests. But some of the tests I don't have to take because I moved. Freshman year I went to the high school I'm at now. Sophomore year and most of junior year I was in Washington state, the last couple months of my junior year and all of my senior year I'm at the high school I went to freshman year. So in total I've been to 3 high schools, I also did 3 classes on k12 sophomore year since I was depressed and wanted to drop out of public school.

So it's been pretty stressful all over :nom: I hate tests. So much stress. I feel like tests over general areas such as math shouldn't determine if you can move on in life. Some people are just bad in certain areas or are bad at test taking. It shouldn't determine a student's worth to move on into the real world. Tests don't determine a student's worth to society.

Yeah, I don't have special needs like some of the kids that were in there. I only had bad Anxiety that could lead up to an attack. But yeah, every Sophomore year we take 5 Graduation tests from Monday to Friday, one of each day. Math, reading, Science, History, and Writing. We would have to keep retaking until we passed them. 

I hate tests too. Anxiety always interferes with them. And it was considered one of my weaknesses in school. Ugh...

It's hard to choose between Elementary School and High School for me.

In Elementary School, I was severely bullied in a verbal way. I had my whole class; including teachers bully me. I had students telling me I never took showers or make fun of my odd behaviors. The teachers often told my parents that I brought it on myself, saying that I made them bully me for acting strangely. I've even had a kid tell me he was going to bring a gun in and shoot me. It gave me nightmares so bad, yet the student walked away with just a stern warning. I also had my second grade teacher stick me into the back of the classroom facing the wall. If I turned to face him, he would yell at me to face the wall again.

High School wasn't nearly as bad, but I was often misunderstood. My teachers didn't realize how much I was struggling. I had horrible organization skills, and I got overloaded/distracted easily as well. They also pushed me to the extreme, saying how I could do the work but chose not to for no reason. They refused to see that I was having a hard time getting anything done, and that I really was struggling greatly. D: I have mild autism and severe ADHD as well as anxiety. I think my anxiety developed because of the trauma I endured through school. it doesn't help much, that's for sure.

So yeah.

Edited by Loki of Sassgard
  • Brohoof 2

6th grade up. Seriously I have a lot of trouble every year.

First of all, you should know that I am someone who will report wrong things to teachers and classmates hated me for that. I felt that whenever something's wrong, justice must be used to make things right.

6th : There's this one bully who fat, rich, and smart at the same time, thus he was dominant. He also have his 2 goons, much like Trixie/SS - S&S.

7th - 9th: The rumor had spread amongst my classmates, thus I barely get any friends. Depression had taken over my life.

10th: Peak of depression. The aura of hatred is too powerful. Depression so tense I had suicidal thought.

11th - 12th: Doesn't get any better, but I became used to it, thus depression lowered.

Things are getting better now.

Also, whenever I go with groups.....

a8bAEZ6_700b.jpg

• Brohoof 4

7th grade, because I'd been receiving money for getting straight A's, $5 per A, but only if I got all A's. A single B, and I got nothing. I struggled with figuring out whether the effort to continue at good grades for free was worth my time or not. It wasn't. That was the year I learned to work the American school system, and passed every year through my high school graduation on straight D's. I'm making more money at my job than any of my friends who worked hard to get good grades, and more than any of them who attended college as well. Not even counting the income from my part-time job. (I do that one for fun~) So, I regret nothing.

That said, I was immediately thrown into disarray. It took me several bad report cards to find the balance I needed. Sloth and laziness are an art form.

6th grade up. Seriously I have a lot of trouble every year.

First of all, you should know that I am someone who will report wrong things to teachers and classmates hated me for that. I felt that whenever something's wrong, justice must be used to make things right.

6th : There's this one bully who fat, rich, and smart at the same time, thus he was dominant. He also have his 2 goons, much like Trixie/SS - S&S.

7th - 9th: The rumor had spread amongst my classmates, thus I barely get any friends. Depression had taken over my life.

10th: Peak of depression. The aura of hatred is too powerful. Depression so tense I had suicidal thought.

11th - 12th: Doesn't get any better, but I became used to it, thus depression lowered.

Things are getting better now.

Also, whenever I go with groups.....

img-3260498-1-a8bAEZ6_700b.jpg

That really blows. At least things are getting better. But still I couldn't imagine being stuck in a funk like that for so long. The longest I went being depressed was about 6 months. I woulda kept being depressed if I hadn't discovered ponies.

Also I couldn't help but laugh at that group thing. I swear, whenever I'm in a class with people I don't know that always happens to me .-.

Edited by Cupcakes14

Senior year of high school just wasn't a good time for me. I went into it feeling reasonably confident. Junior year had been tough, but I'd made it through some challenging obstacles and felt like a stronger person for it. And then a few months into senior year, I fell apart.

Suddenly everything was all about college. I didn't know where I wanted to go, what I wanted to do, how the heck to pay for it, anything. It occurred to me that I'd probably never see half the people I considered friends again after graduation, and that soon enough we might not even miss one another. It left me feeling very alone, and very conscious of that loneliness.

And then, to improve matters, I became extremely sick for several months and missed a decent amount of school. That's a bit of a problem, especially when you're taking AP classes. It felt like I was falling further and further behind every day, and I couldn't breathe without disappointing my teachers, my parents and myself. And also wanting to puke, cause of that fun infection that just wouldn't leave.

The months of being sick left me out of shape when tennis season started, and my ambitions of helping our team win the league shrank quickly when I realized I was probably worse than I was the year before. My team always counted on me, and in some cases looked up to me, and it made me feel like even more of a failure. Days just kinda ran together, starting with frantic and seemingly futile attempts to play catchup in school, disappointing my coach and team, and desperately trying to figure out where I was supposed to go with my life. It's hard to think clearly about your future when you go to bed hardly wanting to wake up.

I made it through, and a lot of how I was feeling seems sensational and overdramatic in hindsight, but it was overwhelming for me at the time. I'm tremendously grateful to my family and friends for helping me keep going after I didn't want to anymore.

• Brohoof 1

This year. I got depressed, I was failing everything, maths was ruining it all.

And then a little bit of me broke and now I just don't care.

Unfortunately comes at the expense of not having any motivation/ambition :P

To get it over with I have this motivational checklist thing. HabitRPG Look it up!!!!
Basically if I didn't have that no homework, no socializing, no practice would get done. I would just sit there staring at a wall or reading.

*noms on potatoes*

For me, it was my junior year. Things were beginning to ramp up in terms of workloads, and I actually came down with a sickness that put me in the hospital and out of school for several months. When I came back, the staff refused to help me catch up, stay caught up or even help me study for tests. This was one thing I couldn't do alone, and after weeks of this I started to become depressed.

When a teacher caught me crying they claimed I was suicidal and unfit for the school, and they demanded I get psychological help or they would remove me from school. At this point, going to a private school, I could not afford both, and I did not need the treatment from step one. Everyone cries, right?

Anyway now I'm finishing up my high school career online.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

9th grade was really hard for me because my mom put in this school that was really big and way to many students and its hard to be around so many people.. Plus I fell into a depression and stuff so ya it was really bad

I would say that in terms of workload and out-of-school stress, it's a close race between 8th grade, 10th grade, and this year, 12th grade.

8th grade, because I was attending a separate middle/high school, and they had a thing called "passage", which was that at the end of the year, 8th graders had to present all they had done to a group of five stranger adults, and convince them why they should allow you to move on to 9th grade. It probably wouldn't have been as scary and stressful if they had let us practice presentations and taught us presentation skills. (I pushed through it, and it was like sawing a limb off. I had passed- but, I decided to just move on to regular high school anyways :P )

10th grade because I was in a program called New Tech, and New Tech does 90% of everything online. Which wouldn't be a problem, if my father believed in internet, and didn't talk the court into throwing me into joint custody with him. I couldn't do anything half the time.

12th grade purely because of home life and whatnot. Too complex to summarize :P Although, my high school offers dual credit courses with a community college; if you sign up for one, you only have half the day of regular school throughout the week, and your college class only meets once a week. So, with that, you get a lot of free time, which is great.

• Brohoof 1

To put it simply there wasn't a single year of school that wasn't soul-crushingly miserable and left me abject and alone. Never did have any friends or allies growing up and every day sucked. It truly was the school of hard knocks.

Above the rest, 7th grade stands out as being distinctly the most horrible. As it was for most people. It was the same as every other year, just more intense.

And additionally, even though I acknowledge that your work is more difficult, I wouldn't count out a high schooler's workload either....

Yep. When I was in middle school, school workloads received a lot of media attention for being too heavy. Many parents lodged complaints with the county school board because their kids were having to begin school around 7 in the morning and were given enough homework to keep them busy until 11-midnight, and enough on weekends so that they would again stay busy the entire day. They had no time to live or do anything fun or relaxing, nor spend time with friends and family. Bad enough when you're an adult and you have to deal with that every now and then, but even worse when you're still in your formative years and bursting with energy, yet saddled with such a workload constantly.

Fortunately the outrage got things lightened significantly and kids were able to start having normal lives.

Year 11, easily. Not only was I drifting away from practically my only friend, my year group had reached its peak of obnoxiousness. It felt kinda like being caught in the crossfire, because there were more people just screwing around and disrupting everything (who wouldn't change for anything or anyone) and as a result more conflict between them and the teachers (I never really did anything wrong those times- I had nobody to screw around with...-so it wasn't like I felt I was at fault, but hearing people raise their voice and get angry with each other kinda frightens me, y'know?) I remember the voice of my Maths teacher when she blew a fuse was enough to actually make me cry, but of course I couldn't really tell anyone. The worst lessons (Maths, P.E., Science), often left me tense for every second I was in them, worrying about the moment when one of my teachers exploded. Not every lesson was that bad (I quite liked English, actually ;)) but the unease I felt just kinda overshadowed the moments that were decent enough.

That was around the time I started doing a lot more exercise to relieve myself of stress (it's fun to exert yourself while watching your favourite shows ^_^) but I probably had to do quite a lot, since by the time I got around to Year 12/A levels (which were nowhere near as bad, thankfully :)) I had actually become worryingly underweight. I don't blame that year for my drop in weight (well... maybe a little bit) but exercise was a way for me to cope, and I can't help but feel annoyed at how everyone who enters the school system is just sorta expected to be fine with these student/teacher conflicts. Anyway, I'm just glad I'm free from the system from now on; I'd much rather get to my future, my own way. B)

• Brohoof 1

Senior year of high school. By that point, I was sick of the drama and monotonous classes, and beyond ready to leave. I had pretty bad grades, not because I'm not smart enough (trust me, I am), but because I can't do monotony, and that's all my homework ever seemed like to me.

Edited by GottlosMann

freshman year definatly. Besides constantly being fed that all the seniors that would destory me in fights. I knew no one because of shyness, learning a schedule like that and all the stairs was a hassle. And after that my grades aren't very good so getting in trouble when i came home wasn't the best thing to look forward to XD. Mostly due to forgetting to do the homework itself :/.

Easily grade 12 of high school. I was a terrible student academically, I didn't know what I was going to do after grade 12, I had no idea what my talents were and had no long term goal. I was struggling with my rapidly declining faith and the only one I could confide in was my best friend. Not to mention I was a conspiracy theory nutcase and had all that on my head too.

It turned out everything got better. I managed to worm my way into college, went head to head against my greatest fears (math and physics) and rose victorious, took care of my religious issues and found an area I wanted to go into. Even with all the hard work in software engineering, I don't think I will ever be as stressed as I was in grade 12. Worst years of my life, highschool...