Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fiction and Reality

Shadyshay

ok iv watched a video concerning fluttershy's character trait and my question is how can people take a fictional character and relate it to some kind of serious problem in real life? would that be depressing to watch if you dig that deep into the show?

It's not depressing at all. To me, one of the reasons why many people like MLP:FiM is for its characters. The Mane 6 all have backstories, goals, strengths and flaws, and when you have all four, then your character is more relatable. Continuing on with this, the more relatable your character is, the more your audience wants to see where this character goes next in the story. This is, in other words, good writing.

Analysing is not a bad thing. Quite the opposite, really. And to be fair, pretty much every single person who looks into a character they relate to can tell the difference between fiction and reality. It's kind of silly to call it depressing, isn't it? -3-

• Brohoof 3

ok iv watched a video concerning fluttershy's character trait and my question is how can people take a fictional character and relate it to some kind of serious problem in real life? would that be depressing to watch if you dig that deep into the show?

I understand what you saying. I would sometimes imagine Scoots had a rough fillyhood and whatnot, but when I watch the show, I put it aside and simply watch without activating my headcanon  ;)

In other words, I only feel depressing when I feel like to. And I can control it, so it won't affect watching the show.

Not really, in my opinion. One of the main reasons why I adore Fluttershy so much is that I can relate to her with her personality and flaws (though her cuteness is also to blame... :squee:) I find in-depth observations about fictional characters, especially from MLP, very interesting actually.

To someone who's never watched this show before, it must seem crazy that there are so many mature fans of it, and kinda childish too. I mean, who'd want to watch a bunch fictional colourful ponies dancing around the screen all day? :P There's a lot of people who've had thoughts like these, though, only to end up watching a bit of it and actually liking what they see. And one of the reasons for this, I've seen, is that they find a character, or a situation, or even a general outlook that they can actually relate to (even if they're consciously trying not to find these sort of things).

I think these character analysis videos, if anything, make it more enjoyable to watch the show. If you think it's illogical or 'wrong' to enjoy it or feel that you can relate, then those videos act like reassurance- it's fine to feel this way, we can all relate to this character's dilemma/worries, etc. Plus, wouldn't you say that to watch FiM you'd need to have some interest in the characters? In those moments when you're seeing an episode, you're pretty much being with characters that you're giving your time to, that you could almost consider a friend.

Analysing a character is just like trying to learn more about your friend- you get a better idea of what you like about them, as well as why you sympathise with them and care about what they're doing. It's more difficult to really get a grasp of this if you don't put these characters and issues in the context of your own life and if you find very little to relate to with them.

Besides, look at this face. Just, look at it.

tumblr_mah5k5wt7J1qzytg1.jpg

This show could be about severe climate change and the making of a holocaust, and it'd still be less depressing than 80% of shows on TV if every character looked like this. FiM can and does touch on the issues that affect many of us viewers, but the overall look of it does help a lot to stop us feeling particularly depressed about them. ;)

Edited by Edwardo_Brony

it´s actually quite the opposite.

seeing a character go through struggles that may be relatable, even to your own,  makes you all that more invested in said character.

it reminds us that nobody lives the perfect life, not even when talking about a colorful cartoon world full of speaking equines.

Edited by Sceethe
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

emotions are obviously key in fim but if you try and merge the real world and the mlp world too much it just ends up making your brain hurt. Like everyone thinks Twilight has OCD a real life disorder and Rarity showed depression in to whom the Sweetie Belle tolls. But you have to remember the target audience and how big a thig emotions are to kids but if you start attaching mental labels to ponies it can go as deep or as positive/negative as you want it to.

emotions are obviously key in fim but if you try and merge the real world and the mlp world too much it just ends up making your brain hurt. Like everyone thinks Twilight has OCD a real life disorder and Rarity showed depression in to whom the Sweetie Belle tolls. But you have to remember the target audience and how big a thig emotions are to kids but if you start attaching mental labels to ponies it can go as deep or as positive/negative as you want it to.

I agree with you partly. I think that the show is making illusions to these things but not actually saying them because of the younger audiences.

I agree with you partly. I think that the show is making illusions to these things but not actually saying them because of the younger audiences.

Exactly who here doesn't remember drawing different expressions on a face in class when they were younger. But if the older fans get something good/entertaining out of this even better :) just don't take it too deep :P

I sort of agree w some of the other posts.  I mean, it's a kid's cartoon show, for Pete's sake, not The Magnificent Ambersons or Gone With the Wind. 

On the other hand, who would watch it if the characters weren't believable?  And what makes characters believable?  That they are similar to real people & we can relate to their actions.  Narnia, for instance, or the Oz books remain popular because the characters overcome their flaws & so it is w MLP