Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you celebrate Christmas?

~Sugar Sprinkles~

This can also go for what traditions do you do? Where do you go? How do you celebrate it? Or..do you celebrate it at all?? Or Hanukkah??  :o

Every single year since I can remember, we always went to my Grandma (Mom's mom) on Christmas Eve. We will get there, hang out, then have a BIG, delicious dinner, sit around and talk and then open up gifts. We also stay like ALLLL day too. Then, we wake up on Christmas morning, I go down to the tree and open up gifts from my parents, then we go over to my Grandma and Grandpa's (Which is now just my Grandpa, cause my Grandma passed away and this is my Dad's parents) and same thing really. Hang out, have a big dinner, and then hang out more and then gifts. 

Pretty simple really xD

• Brohoof 2

My Christmases are simple. My family and I wake up around the morning and give out presents. We then go back to our lives along with our presents until dinner happens. Usually around dinner, we'd all get together and have something nice to eat. Nothing special, really.

Boxing Day is a different story, however. For a long time, we always celebrate Boxing Day by inviting many members of my extended family and have a big lunch. We then exchange even more presents. Things start to settle down after that.

I prefer my Christmases, though. Boxing Day is often overwhelming for me.

• Brohoof 1

Mine basically follows as such:

• Wake up at like 7-8 a.m. and force my parents out of bed until they inevitably tell me it's too early
  • Actually get them up
  • Open Presents/Eat candy from the stocking
  • Relax for a few hours
  • Go into Grandmother's for family dinner
  • Go over to my sister's house across the street and open presents
  • Go back to Grandmother's and open presents
  • Go home and sleep

We go to my Grandmother's around 11am-1pm and stay till like 8-9 pm. Pretty basic in reality.  My older cousin had me play Smash with him on the 3DS on Thanksgiving so it's probably going to happen on Christmas at my Grandmother's so at least I'll have something to do. 

• Brohoof 1

My christmas is pretty much like normal day except that my brother and sister wedge themselves into here and it makes me feel really uncomfortable so I just stay in my room and avoid any contacts.

It doesn't feel like christmas there isn't even christmas tree. I don't even need any presents and I don't give any presents because I'm not comfortable with people around me. I wish I can have better christmas here on forums than I have with my family this year *hugs*

• Brohoof 1

My dad will go out to meet his friend, then I will call my friend on Skype and turn on my party music.

And I will scream loudly. 

Celebrating with my friends. 

Edited by Assassin

Normal sort of stuff.

We'll get up as late as the kids allow us to. (Probably 5.30am! Just kidding... as it's winter, they've been tending to sleep quite late. Might even be able to lie in until 7.30 - what luxury!) Then open presents around the Christmas tree. Then start making Christmas dinner.

I tend to avoid turkey because I don't especially like it, and anyway, they're too enormous for two adults plus two tiny people. So I'm planning on doing miniature Beef Wellingtons plus roast potato, carrots, and some other vegetables that I've not chosen yet.

We'll eat in the early afternoon, maybe try to find a children's film on TV. Later on, have a smallish evening meal - probably just sandwiches or something. Put the kids to bed, flop on the sofa, then go to bed ourselves.

On Boxing Day, we're going to my parents-in-law's house to stay for a few days, as it's my father-in-law's birthday on the 29th. Before we leave though, I think we'll go into town to watch the Boxing Day hunt which starts off on the high street - it's fun to see dozens of horses and hounds galloping around on the streets.

• Brohoof 1

Wake up way to early or way to late, can never get the right time. Open presents and stuff if any that year. Go to aunts for dinner and play video games with family. And come home and sleep or read depends on how I feel.

We usually:

1. Sleep in until around 9ish.
  2. Make a very light breakfast and special coffee
  3. Open gifts
  4. Then have a bunch of appetizers for lunch
  5. Watch Christmas movies
  6. Have a feast at dinner.

This year will be different though, because my cousins are coming and staying over Christmas Eve/Christmas.

I can't stand Christmas. The music, the overpriced 'sales', the monstrous waves of tacky 'decorations'. All of it is just an annoyance. Still, as I'm in a family home, we still do the whole "presents under the Christmas Tree(which  is a jet black, by the way)". And I do so enjoy making it look spectacular.

But everything else I dislike. I don't even enjoy getting gifts, as it makes me feel indebted to the person. Like I'm suddenly obligated to buy them something, hoping it's the right gift. Or stuck wondering if my gift is as good as theirs to me - or feeling as though I went out of my way on a gift for that person, and receiving something mundane in return.

It's just so much hassle.

Well sounds like some of us have a bit of Scrooged Syndrom...Hope that clears up for ya soon!

Anyways I love Christmas! Despite yes...I admit it can be a little stressful at times.

I mean it's gotten so stressful for me that I've actually had to shut down my store here on the forums just so I won't be pestered with requests and get anxiety. Saving money to buy presents while worrying about what I want at the same time? I actually had a hard time figuring out what I wanted this year, beause I basically have what I want, or rather, what I need already. My Husband teehehe.

But still, how me and my family celebrate Christmas...

Well a couple days after Thanksgiving, we set up the Christmas tree, then watch the news about how stupid people are when it comes to Black Friday...It just ain't worth it people!

My step father will then set up the lights on our house, always a good thing. Then all of us start coming up with our list of presents. Afterwards the Christmas shopping does commence, but on our own time since most of us 'kids' are grown up and have our little ones to think of as well. There will be the Trail of Lights we do as much as we can, we eat plenty of candy, drink loads of hot chocolate, and watch as many Christmas movies as we can! I love Christmas music too, its the one month out of the year when I can listen to all different kinds the entire month. I know that for some they get sick of it, even my husband does lol but not me!

Then on Christmas Eve we have a lovely dinner, maybe watch another classic Christmas flick, and maybe if we're lucky, open ONE present before bed. On Christmas Day, the whole family gets together to open up presents and my mom makes her famous breakfast keshi! It's sucha wonderful holiday.

Apart from the typical presents under the tree, my family actually hosts a large Christmas party for all of our cousins and other relatives. All hundred plus of them! XD

It's really great to see all of them with the Christmas tree all lit up.

Don't really celebrate it in spite of loving the season. At most I wait for people to buy me things and then open them on Christmas day (if they're wrapped at all).

Christmas day just marks the end of the season. It is no reason to celebrate. :okiedokielokie:

I celebrate both the 24th and 25th.

• At the 24th, I usually just wake up and do normal stuff,
  • At around 10:00 am or something it's all about the christmas gifts (in my family).
  • Then, at around 2:00 pm I go to my grandparents (on my father's side) and we say hi to them as well as my cousins.
  • At 3:00 pm the most important thing at christmas happens.

I'm pretty sure I've posted a similar thing in an older thread but basically, we watch a little show of Disney animated shorts called "From all of us to all of you" (though we call it "Kalle Anka och hans vänner önskar god jul" ("Donald Duck and his friends wishes a merry christmas")).  This has been a tradition in Sweden for a long time (since 1958) for some reason and it is shown EVERY SINGLE CHRISTMAS, always at 3 PM. It's true! We Swedes really see it as a tradition, it is one of the 5 most seen TV programs in Sweden, EVER. Yeah. The show is always longer than the original one cause Disney are aware that this is a huge thing in sweden and they always like to include new cool stuff for us each year like trailers to new disney films or something.

A photo I found on google. Here, some Swedes are watching the disney show (we swedes just like to call it "watch some donald duck" for some reason)

DSC07473.JPG

• Then we eat and there's always a looooot to chose from.

img-3345601-2-julbord_tappa.jpg

• Then we open presents and hug
  • The next day, dec 25th, I go to my my grandparent's on my mother's side and we basically do the same things except for watching disney :P
  • Brohoof 1

@@Jokuc, wow, thanks for that post :D I didn't know that. Interesting :)

Here in Czech Republic, Christmas is celebrated on the 24th. You're supposed not to eat anything until the dinner in the evening

(there's a legend that if you don't, you will see a golden pig in which brings luck in the evening), but people usually do eat during

the day.

Then there's the dinner, with the main dish being traditionally a fish (a carp most often, since carps are available locally).

In the evening after the dinner, the family gathers around the chrismtas tree to open presents.

There's also a couple more traditions concerning that are usually not held nowadays, like throwing a slipper or pouring lead.

Girls were supposed to throw a slipper over their shoulder, and if it pointed out of the house, it meant that they would

marry before the next christmas.

The other tradition meant that you got a big bowl and some lead, which you melted over a candle. You then poured the hot lead into

the bowl (filled with water), and the lead would create shapes from which people guessed the future.

• Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...

We usually have my dad's side of the family over for Christmas Eve and we have an old pasta recipe my grandpa has done since I was a child and salad (we're part Italian). The week before Christmas we celebrate with my mom's side of the family and all my cousins open their presents. I have a big family on both my mom and dad's side.

I usually go my mom's on Christmas eve, we have a good time, hangout, family fun stuff, then on Christmas day, we do the usual thing, we open presents, and overall it is just a very positive experience, hence why I just love the holidays. The past couple of years my mom has been putting on a virtual fireplace on her TV whilst we do all of this too which adds an extra layer of awesome. Afterwards we have a big meal which of course is wonderful too. Pretty simple tradition but I love it beyond belief. :) Thinking about it is making me excited for it. 

We wither celebrate Christmas day with my mom's side or my dad's side. We'll go to one of their houses, eat, open presents, and just have a good time.

Christmas Eve, however, is always celebrated at my house.