Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask Nouth the Archer

Nouth

Welcome, here, Nouth the Archer shall answer your questions.

I'll throw in some basic info about me :

I'm a teenage European closet brony. I'm generally optimistic, I try to see rainbows behind the dark clouds. I'm pretty much the opposite of Rainbow Dash in my personality, being quite shy and thoughtful and not athletic at all. Still, I love her, and love that I see what I am not when I look at her.

I'm also an archer, I'm interested in medieval culture, I enjoy LARP battles (pseudomedieval IRL battles with weapons made out of soft materials).

I also read, a lot. Mostly Terry Pratchett. I love Monty Python and british humor in general.

I like to think about things deeply. I follow the Love & Tolerate motto.

I value tolerance, open mind, wisdom and such traits in people.

So, ask away !

I'd prefer questions regarding archery, larp and philosophical questions over the trivial ones, but I will answer all of them :). So feel free to ask anything.

Remember that I'm in central Europe (Berlin, Prague timezone) so I may be online in different times than most of you. I will try to answer the questions that will accumulate overnight when I get up in the morning.

ok well i'll get this started then

What is thy name? What is thy quest? What is you favorite colour?

now thats out of the why

why are you a closet brony?

have you ever played Bladestorm?

why is a bastard sword call a bastard sword?(i already know i just want to test you :) )

• Brohoof 1

ok well i'll get this started then

What is thy name? - My name is Sir Nouthgule, the archer.

What is thy quest? - To seek the Grail.

What is you favorite colour? - Blue. No ! Green-AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

why are you a closet brony? - Here where I live, the Brony phenomena is not as popular as in English speaking countries. The fanbase is really small. Also, Czech translation of MLP:FIM sucks horribly. I have not yet felt urge to tell my family, but I will tell my family sometime. I'm planning to come out of the closet just for my family in September, where there will be an article on Bronies in one of the magazines my whole family reads. Until then, unless someone catches me - I shall remain hidden. I don't have any pony wallpapers and such, so this is quite unlikely.

That's about my family, and I'm not sure if I'll ever tell my friends. I still fear that they may judge me badly because of it, but if they ask me about it, I will try to open the closet and tell them. Not gonna actively try to convert them though.

have you ever played Bladestorm? - Nopey :/

why is a bastard sword call a bastard sword? - You got me there. No idea, I can only guess. The name suggests that it was used by an illegitimate son, but I'm not very sure :/ I don't have that great knowledge on certain characters from history... Name William Wallance comes to mind, not sure because his weapon was more Claymore, and I don't know if he was a bastard either...

Please, do tell me the right answer :)

Tell me, how many knees have you shot?

I used to make arrow to the knee jokes like you, but then I took a boot to the balls.

Yea, I used to play Skyrim but got bored of it. The lack of actual influence of the character on the story was killing me.

Why do you have a shitload of dialogue options when you will end up in the same quest anyway ?

However, IRL, on Larp battle, I have already shot someone in knee two times - silly spearmen, why don't they hide behind shields

of their fellow soldiers and go to the first line instead ? ;)

What is thy name? - My name is Sir Nouthgule, the archer.

What is thy quest? - To seek the Grail.

What is you favorite colour? - Blue. No ! Green-AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

why are you a closet brony? - Here where I live, the Brony phenomena is not as popular as in English speaking countries. The fanbase is really small. Also, Czech translation of MLP:FIM sucks horribly. I have not yet felt urge to tell my family, but I will tell my family sometime. I'm planning to come out of the closet just for my family in September, where there will be an article on Bronies in one of the magazines my whole family reads. Until then, unless someone catches me - I shall remain hidden. I don't have any pony wallpapers and such, so this is quite unlikely.

That's about my family, and I'm not sure if I'll ever tell my friends. I still fear that they may judge me badly because of it, but if they ask me about it, I will try to open the closet and tell them. Not gonna actively try to convert them though.

have you ever played Bladestorm? - Nopey :/

why is a bastard sword call a bastard sword? - You got me there. No idea, I can only guess. The name suggests that it was used by an illegitimate son, but I'm not very sure :/ I don't have that great knowledge on certain characters from history... Name William Wallance comes to mind, not sure because his weapon was more Claymore, and I don't know if he was a bastard either...

Please, do tell me the right answer :)

we if you have a 360 i recommend bladestorm its a great game based around the hundred year war

well a bastard sword is called that because of its lenght because its longer then a long sword but shorter then a claymore, also its kind of a bastard to weild properly if i must say.

• Brohoof 1

we if you have a 360 i recommend bladestorm its a great game based around the hundred year war

well a bastard sword is called that because of its lenght because its longer then a long sword but shorter then a claymore, also its kind of a bastard to weild properly if i must say.

Sadly I do not own xbox, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind in case I happen to get it sometime :)

Interesting info on bastard swords, thank you :) (Also, I'm glad for the Monty Python reference).

Right now I quite enjoy Third age : Total war, which is a mod for Medieval 2 : Total war. It is pretty cool mod, I'm playing as the sylvan elves (the northen dark forest, not Lorien).

What is the meaning of life? Why are we here? Why are ponies all I can think about?

Lets do this in order, shall we ?

1) Meaning of life ? 42, obviously. [/sillyness] [seriousness] : I will answer this alongside with the question number two, because they are very close in their meaning.

The meaning of lives (I believe in reincarnation) is to provide our souls a place where they learn to live in harmony with the rest of humankind. All your decisions you do during your life are recorded, and your decisions then influence how the universe threatens you. Simply said, your decisions in this life will influence your fortune in this life and your next lives. For the cruel decisions you will become a victim to cruelty of others yourself in the future, for kind decisions you will be threatened kindly in your future. So, the meaning of life is to try to live best you can to the others. (However, one should not overdo it, not to the point where they would try to help the others in any way possible while not caring about themselves.) It also seems like a good goal to me to try to always look at the bright side of life, for that it makes life much better...

3) : Because you have been enlightened and have seen the Way ! I'm partially serious there, if ponies help you to view the world positively and help you be nicer, I can not see anything wrong with it. I do not really care about what do people claim to be their goal in life or meaning of it, what I care about is if they are good people or not. I do not care if they share my point of view.

• Brohoof 1

Young warrior.. Why are you scared to engage me in a fist fight.. * waves hand like come at me bro* for i am lee sin, the blind monk.

Thank you for your time, o wise and benevolent archer.

You are welcome, thank you for the undeserved compliments :D.

Young warrior.. Why are you scared to engage me in a fist fight.. * waves hand like come at me bro* for i am lee sin, the blind monk.

I'd rather save fighting for a battlefield, monk. I shall not lie to you, in arts of unarmed combat I am not skilled at all.

If I had to fight thee, I would probably try back up to a good shooting position first :D

(edited)

Oh my. I wish I could find a good LARP session where I live. There have been a few, but poor organization killed it...

Do you have a PS3?

No, I do not. I have a decent gaming computer though.

And well, the larps I've been on weren't real LARPS - they were more like larp battles. There wasn't a real lot of roleplay involved, there were few special characters, but we did not interact with them much. We were playing simple soldiers, not heroes or such...

But the organization was quite good here.

What were the larps you visited like ?

EDIT : grammar.

Edited by Nouth

• 4 weeks later...

Salutations, Sir Nouthgule.

I know you haven´t returned from your wandering yet, but out of boredom, made the asking topic and it came to my mind that I could ask you. ^_^

What was your wandering like? Was it fun? Amazing? Awesome? Did you enjoy your journey? Have you learned something new? Or renewed something forgotten?

Salutations, Sir Nouthgule.

I know you haven´t returned from your wandering yet, but out of boredom, made the asking topic and it came to my mind that I could ask you. ^_^

What was your wandering like? Was it fun? Amazing? Awesome? Did you enjoy your journey? Have you learned something new? Or renewed something forgotten?

Salutations to you,

my wandering was indeed quite fun. The camp has been all right, except our main leader who would keep annoying us, but it was fun after all. I and my tentmate were too lazy to clean up the mess we kept making, so we made up a religion about mess as an excuse.

It has spread across the camp like forest fire and soon became too mainstream to be enjoyable anymore, it has reached the part when the herd would require you to follow this new trend, and when I saw this, I realized how much is the freedom of choice limited by

something becoming too popular.

And also, me and my tentmate had some great fun trolling other camp members by starting to speak English when they tried to approach us. There was only one man in the whole camp (an university teacher) who could understand us, and the others had no idea what we are talking about :D

Luckily enough, I did not forget to stock up pony pictures and episodes so I could keep the level of ponies in my blood above the critical minimum while away from the internet.

We were also lighting up an ceremonial fire from North, East, South and West, each side representing one of good traits. I was left to choose either North - Strength or South - Friendship. Naturally, I picked the latter :D