Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Railroad Bronies?

Twilightlover6

Worked for the CP for a couple years putting in switches and doing track upkeep. Got tired of the politics and walked away from it. By body's unwillingness to tolerate extreme cold anymore played into my leaving as well.

My friend is still on the payroll, but looking for something that'll see him home more often. The BN has lines running through town, but haven't brought anyone new on in over a year.

Hard to find local work that pays as well, its a bummer.

• Brohoof 1

I used to be a train fanatic, though it didn't go past the age of...8 or 9? Maybe 12!

I mostly collected the Thomas and Friend's toys and build my own tracks on a table. Good times :P.

*insert other relevant train stuff, lel*

WOW well you definitely got me beat!

Out of all of them I think that I got to go on the Seattle monorail.

Sure! Go for it. It takes you from Westlake (the downtown shopping mall) to Seattle Center (where the museums and the Space Needle are located) and vice versa. It's a cool experience because you're moving above the city grounds.

Edited by Poppy_The_Vixen

I used to be a train fanatic, though it didn't go past the age of...8 or 9? Maybe 12!

I mostly collected the Thomas and Friend's toys and build my own tracks on a table. Good times :P.

*insert other relevant train stuff, lel*

Not many people stay addicted to trains past the age of 10. But if you do then it stays with you for the rest of your life. Like me! ^^

Sure! Go for it. It takes you from Westlake (the downtown shopping mall) to Seattle Center (where the museums and the Space Needle are located) and vice versa. It's a cool experience because you're moving above the city grounds.

I don't know why I said "I think" I went on it wen we went to EFNW.

Not many people stay addicted to trains past the age of 10. But if you do then it stays with you for the rest of your life. Like me! ^^

Heheh, nice. Ride trains much? Big trains? Little trains? Old trains? New trains? Fast trains? Lel.

Aviation on the other hand has stuck with me all my life :P.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know why I said "I think" I went on it wen we went to EFNW.

Typo I guess. It happens to all of us. And yes, my appreciation for railways still exists to me especially after looking at the different ones from around the world. I think railways are more interesting than cars, which puts me in the minority. They're a good alternative for getting somewhere and railways help me get to non-walking distance places by foot.

Heheh, nice. Ride trains much? Big trains? Little trains? Old trains? New trains? Fast trains? Lel.

Aviation on the other hand has stuck with me all my life :P.

Sadly I don't ride trains as much as you would think I would. But when I get the opportunity to I try to take it!

One day I hope I can ride little trains but more importantly my little trains. I want to have a rideable railway, you know the small ones.

I think its more a cultural thing. Mass transit isn't the end all in North America. Sure some joints have subway and trolly systems set up, but its not the same.

On the otherhand, travelling by rail is still much more common in Europe. In Japan its a part of everyday life for a good part of the population. That's deffinitely reflected in Japanese popular culture as well.

The couple of times Ive gone over, I was blown away by how big trains really are. Also by how relaxing the travel can be. Even at a couple hundred MPH, the bullet trains are really smooth.

Unfortunately, our rail industry has been largley relegated to shipping.

Which is probably why the rail infrastructure is so poor.

Like, you'd be shocked if you knew poor.

• Brohoof 1

Typo I guess. It happens to all of us. And yes, my appreciation for railways still exists to me especially after looking at the different ones from around the world. I think railways are more interesting than cars, which puts me in the minority. They're a good alternative for getting somewhere and railways help me get to non-walking distance places by foot.

Everybody here seems to ride trains one way or another. XD

I think its more a cultural thing. Mass transit isn't the end all in North America. Sure some joints have subway and trolly systems set up, but its not the same.

On the otherhand, travelling by rail is still much more common in Europe. In Japan its a part of everyday life for a good part of the population. That's deffinitely reflected in Japanese popular culture as well.

The couple of times Ive gone over, I was blown away by how big trains really are. Also by how relaxing the travel can be. Even at a couple hundred MPH, the bullet trains are really smooth.

I think that that's the reason why is because England basically invented trains.

America mostly uses them now as machines and not as much as a cultural thing.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not necessarily a train enthusiast, but I do find old trains to be really cool to look at it.

I've also been on my fair share of train rides across the U.S

• Brohoof 1

I worked for Southern Pacific for seven years.  Union Pacific offered me a job when they were bought out, but it required a move that we were not willing to make.

Still miss it sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

True words have been spoken! The railway infrastructure is poor compared to Europe and Japan and only a few cities get good public transit. I think the reason is the fact that here in America, cars and driving are glorified (you keep seeing these car commercials and new car prizes in game shows). Also, the highways have taken over territory to the point where it isn't easy to build new rail systems.

Quite a big railway fan. Mostly interested in steam trains andand, of course, THOMAS THE F**KING TANK ENGINE! a.k.a my childhood.

YAY I LOVE STEAM ENGINES TO THERE MY FAVORITE!

Please tell me your talking about the old ones....

• Brohoof 1

I got into railways thanks to Thomas The Tank Engine, my favourite seasons were probably one through six and I've recently got back into the steam train hobby. I visited a small branchline in Yorkshire back in the summer, and I'm going to a Day Out With Thomas event with my little brother. :D

• Brohoof 1

I got into railways thanks to Thomas The Tank Engine, my favourite seasons were probably one through six and I've recently got back into the steam train hobby. I visited a small branchline in Yorkshire back in the summer, and I'm going to a Day Out With Thomas event with my little brother. :D

Awesome! I wanted to go there when I was a little kid.

Yep! Old steam engines e.g. Mallard, Flying Scotsman, City of Truro, Torpedo etc.

Well we definitely have different tastes in trains. XD

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

When I was younger, I was a MASSIVE railroad and train fan, especially of Norfolk Southern and Union Pacific. Heck, i've lived along the main line of Norfolk Southern between Decatur, IL and St. Louis my entire life.

Now, it's really been reignited since i've been in college, as we have a BNSF line that runs through town that doubles as an Amtrak line.