Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The magic in FIM is very powerful compared to other series.

Singe

Alicorn is more powerful than say the Avatar. Being able to control the moon, sun, or rotation of the Earth. Discord trumps a lot of adversaries.

Wide range of spells are very potent. Aging, time travel, teleportation, change to another species, magical barriers, etc.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 5

You could say it's as powerful as it is necessary. Sure no one in Harry Potter could manipulate the sun, but in that world the sun does its own thing. Meanwhile if no one were there to do it in Equestria, the whole place would be screwed.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know about that,it is true that we never saw the avatar control the sun and moon but that is because since the sun and moon work the same way as in our world in that universe there simply has been no need for it but that dosen't mean the avatar couldn't do it. And as we found out in Legend of Korra is the human embodiment of Raava who is the spirit of light and in as close as that series has got to God. I will agree that Discord is probably considerably more powerful than even the avatar though and Tirek as we saw in season 4 is even more powerful than that if he has absorbed enough magic. How powerful magic is in MLP compared to another series depends on the series and situation, there are magical beings in the DC and Marvel comics universe who are even more powerful than the likes of Discord and Tirek.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know about that,it is true that we never saw the avatar control the sun and moon but that is because since the sun and moon work the same way as in our world

Actually that's a good point too. It's pretty likely that the sun and moon themselves are completely different from our world/magic worlds. I find it unlikely that the moon in Equestria is a gigantic rock 200000 miles away, or that the sun is a ball of nuclear fusion 93000000 miles away. The ability to control them in Equestria could be totally incomparable to anything in another world.

• Brohoof 2

In my opinion, there really needs to be more balance with magic in the world of FiM, especially considering that an entire third of the population are magic-users.  

In particular, any spells which alter a living creature's mind and/or body need to be outlawed (looking at you, Twilight  :okiedokielokie:). Seriously, there's absolutely no good reason for these types of spells to even exist. Under what circumstances is the "Want it, need it" spell useful for doing anything but turning a large population of ponies into mindless zombies? Under what circumstances is Twilight's breezy spell (or as I like to refer to it, her Play God spell) useful for doing anything but spitting in the face of ethics? 

I'm just saying, all the pegasus and earth pony races of Equestria would be pretty much screwed if the unicorns suddenly decided to revolt. And just to add insult to injury, there apparently exists "magical charms" that exist for this very purpose (i.e. the Alicorn Amulet).

• Brohoof 1

True, and it's a big problem.

Many issues in the episodes can be solved thanks to magic, while it would be way more interesting without it.

It sometimes makes the show too "easy" where magic is the solution to almost everything.

Edited by Blobulle

You could say it's as powerful as it is necessary. Sure no one in Harry Potter could manipulate the sun, but in that world the sun does its own thing. Meanwhile if no one were there to do it in Equestria, the whole place would be screwed.

Agreed I like it that equestria is reliant on the ponies to make it flow nicely. Unlike in our world then the very exisitence of human beings just damages the world. Even me typing right now is damaging the planet for ponies sake.

In my opinion, there really needs to be more balance with magic in the world of FiM, especially considering that an entire third of the population are magic-users.  

In particular, any spells which alter a living creature's mind and/or body need to be outlawed (looking at you, Twilight  :okiedokielokie:). Seriously, there's absolutely no good reason for these types of spells to even exist. Under what circumstances is the "Want it, need it" spell useful for doing anything but turning a large population of ponies into mindless zombies? Under what circumstances is Twilight's breezy spell (or as I like to refer to it, her Play God spell) useful for doing anything but spitting in the face of ethics? 

I'm just saying, all the pegasus and earth pony races of Equestria would be pretty much screwed if the unicorns suddenly decided to revolt. And just to add insult to injury, there apparently exists "magical charms" that exist for this very purpose (i.e. the Alicorn Amulet).

Well when the ruling echelons are Alicorns and Unicorns, there is such a large tolerance to magical mishaps/crimes. They don't even have a self-policing force to deal with rouge unicorns/alicorns except for Celestia most of the time.

Edited by Singe

Well, there are a few beings in MLP that are vastly powerful, but the overall level is fairly low.  I would point out that Tirek had the magic of many ponies (implied, every one in the world) + Discord & this was equaled by Twilight w 4 Alicorn power.

But still, I doubt even Discord is as powerful as Galactus or the Dread Dormamu (Marvel) or the planet OA (Green Lantern)

Almost certainly, but the season 4 finale calls it vaguely into question. If you ask me, Tirek stealing his power made no sense.

Speculating, perhaps when Discord allowed Tirek to trick him into serving Tirek's agenda, Discord became vulnerable, either by just letting his guard down, or by some "rules of magic."

PS, thanks for answering my first post!

Edited by Horsing Around

Speculating, perhaps when Discord allowed Tirek to trick him into serving Tirek's agenda, Discord became vulnerable, either by just letting his guard down, or by some "rules of magic."

PS, thanks for answering my first post!

No prob :)

But in the same position, Twilight was able to simply teleport away before being drained. Unless Discord was just THAT stunned, he should have easily just been able to say "Nope" and turn Tirek into cheese or something.

Yeah, the alicorns and high-level unicorns are VERY powerful, but I have a hard time seeing them victorious against the likes of...say...Alduin of Skyrim; judging by the lore around him.

But really, it's like comparing the technologies of Star Trek, Star Wars, and Babylon 5. In the end it is all different and really wasn't meant to be compared, IMO.

Doesn't mean you can't compare, but it's a difficult process in itself. :)

If hypothetically the ponies suddenly turned evil, a legion of Inquisitors (or just one XD) would make short work of any magical being in Equestria... even Discord.

If you're ever played Baldur's Gate, you would know an Inquisitor is a magic user's worst nightmare. Top if off with high magic resistance on a higher levels. Inquisitor vs any magic user, the Inquisitor would almost always win.

And if one of the Inquisitors wielded the sword known as Carsomyr (also known as the The Holy Avenger).... he's pretty much invincible. 

The good thing about Inquisitors they tend to be 'lawful good', so they won't kill the ponies if they are good.

Edited by Rush

Well, there are a few beings in MLP that are vastly powerful, but the overall level is fairly low.  I would point out that Tirek had the magic of many ponies (implied, every one in the world) + Discord & this was equaled by Twilight w 4 Alicorn power.

But still, I doubt even Discord is as powerful as Galactus or the Dread Dormamu (Marvel) or the planet OA (Green Lantern)

Just a majority of Celestia's Kingdom. He wasn't shown going after Crystal Ponies.

Edited by Singe

Not particularly. Marvel, DC, Sailor Moon, Winx Club... even Fairly Oddparents are above FIM. FIM is not weak, though; it's more mid tier as far as magical worlds go.

Here's a question: Are there creatures in Equestria with magic resistance? So far, no one's even tried using magic on a grown dragon, and aren't they sort of famous for that?

@Dulset Tarn

There was a ghost crab in the comics with a magic immunity due to its hard shell( spells bounced off it). That leads me to believe MLP magic functions like Harry Potter magic, where it only has a certain level of penetration power. Thick armor would make spells bounce off, so it's possible it might be useless on dragons.

For telekinesis, if the Ursa Minor is any indication, there is a certain amount of energy that unicorns can hold. It may just be due to weight, or it may include things like kinetic energy, but i'm guessing if you put to much stress on a magical field, it will fail. I'm going to guess an adult dragon weighs a lot more than an Ursa Minor, and that it probably won't be standing still.

The magic of The Two Sisters is indeed unmatched by anything else, because their magic includes the Elements of Harmony, which is the source of the magic of friendship. And as far as magic goes, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING can defeat t3h magic of t3h friendship (as lord Tirec found out for himself)

Although, this one ╗

rsz_cara_posed_to_kill.jpg

might give the corns a few problems, Cara would probably fall in love with ponies <3. 

Imagine a Mord Sith and Pony army..   :wub:  /)\m/(\  

If not, I'm pretty sure Rarity could take her without magic, just using her ninja skillz (and then

there's The Wonderbolts and kickass Earth Ponies to boot.)

Edited by Drunk Cheerilee