Your thoughts on smoking and chewing tobacco.

SolidTwilight

• 2 weeks later...

1. Why and at what age did you start?

I started at 11, my mom smokes and I had always been curious about it.

2. Do you now or did you ever enjoy it?

I do enjoy it, pretty much always have.

3. Do you regret it?

Every once in a while, I suddenly do but the feeling never stays long. I know it's terrible for me, but I truly do take pleasure in smoking and feel the pros outweigh the cons.

4. What advice would you give to someone that is thinking of starting?

It isn't for everyone, and don't let anyone but you make the decision to either try tobacco or continue using it. On one end, some people love it, on the other some hate it: don't be surprised if you end up somewhere ibetween.

I am heavily against cigarettes, my dad knows this well. :P

So my response is no and my answers are;

A. Because it serves no purpose whatsoever. All it is, is a simplistic addiction with no benefits of any kind. There is no high from it, there are no positive effects, it is just poison and addiction, that's it.

B. My dad smokes a lot and it angers me. It is just a waste of money and secondhand smoke is horrendous. If he just chewed then I could at least say he is considering others but he doesn't. If it served any positive whatsoever then there could at least be that but as we seen in A., it doesn't.

C. Why would I ever wish to start something so terrible?

D. My advice is very simple; Don't start. For your health and your wallet. If not for your health, then at least consider your wallet. If you ever think about smoking, consider the health of those around you too.

I honestly wish they would outlaw cigarettes. If they still want people to satisfy their addiction, then at least have them chew. That is better, even if not by much.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I find it gross. With my birth defect causing lower lung function, smoke and vapors aggravate my lungs and cause me to have trouble breathing. I have to cough if I inhale smoke and it irritates me when smokers glare at me for coughing. Like dude, it's not personal. Blame the 34% of my lungs that don't work.

At the same time, I'm not going to lecture people on how it's bad for you, how dare you smoke, blah blah blah. It's their choice and as long as they respect people who can't handle smoke, then I'll respect your choice to smoke.

Smoking fucks up your lungs and chewing tobacco fucks up your mouth. I'm going to die some day no matter what, but I'd rather avoid suffering a long painful death from cancer.

• Brohoof 4

It's something I experimented with and that lasted about 6 months until I quit cold turkey. I don't judge anyone who does it because it's their life and their choice. If someone where to ask me if they should try it I would say no, because I have family that smokes all the time. Hearing a smokers cough makes me glad I quit. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not really fond of it. To me, it's kind of a gross habit. It makes you smell, and it can cause serious health problems. However, a majority of my j-rocker crushes smoke. They have for a long time. For them though, this is usually a stress reliever. I guess in a way I can understand why they do it. I know Subaru from Royz (in my avatar) does it, and I also know that Gotcharocka does as well. My parents also smoke, but this is different for me since I wish they wouldn't. Considering my special needs, I rely on them very heavily to look after me... and if they get serious health issues from smoking then I'm screwed.

If no:

A. Why did you choose not to?

B. Do any of your friends and family smoke/chew, and how do you feel about it?

C. Do you wish (even for a moment) that you did start?

D. What advice would you give to someone that is thinking of starting? 

A: I'd like to not kill my body

B: My dad used to but he stopped, most family members have stopped, thought I wish the ones that still smoked stopped

C: No, no no no GODDAMN no

D: Try to quit, there's seriously nothing you benefit from smoking/chewing tobacco

• Brohoof 1

A. Because I happen to know how addictive they are.

B. Yes. My grandma. I despise her smoking habit with a burning passion. Mostly because she was always so good to me, taking me since I was seven to sometime when I was 14 and I don't want her to die any earlier than she has to.

C. No way in TARTARUS have I ever had that thought, as far as I know, and I will ever smoke or chew tobacco and if I met someone who does, well...

D. Don't. Partly because of all the downsides it has, but mostly because if we meet IRL, and I care for you, I turn brutally honest about everything I know is cased by smoking and the like in an attempt to get you to quit. For example, I know smoking causes bad breath and yellow teeth, so if I know you smoke, and I care about your well being, I will give you crap every chance we get about your yellow teeth and bad breath.

If no:

A. There's nothing even remotely appealing about it?  Not to mention the health risks.

B. My mother has smoked most of her life.  It has, not unexpectedly, had a negative effect on her health.  I hate it.

C. F*** no lol.  Who looks back at their life and goes, "Gosh...  Wish I'd been an addict."

D. If you don't start, you never have to worry about quitting.  And, at some point or another, you're going to want to quit.  Or need to quit.  Smoking / chewing tobacco benefits you in precisely zero ways.  There's no real / pre-addiction upside.

• Brohoof 1

No. Never.

Because it is unhealthy and dangerous, it is addicting, expensive and really disgusting.

My grandpa and uncle smoke. I'm quite annoyed, especially at my uncle. My grandpa has just a few years left to live anyway so I don't really care what he does.

Absolutely not.

I don't know. I just would tell them not to, they should know the reasons themselves.

• Brohoof 1

Because it's expensive, dangerous, addictive, disgusting, and serves no good whatsoever 

Not anymore, my paternal grandmother was a chain smoker, as was my great uncle, they both died from lung and throat cancer respectively, all direct results from their tobacco use.

No, what's the point? i'd rather not hasten my own death. i don't need substances to get a high when i have music!

Don't do it, don't even consider, you'll regret it once you're on death's door. With several members of my family in the medical field, i've been lucky to have great guidance. Do not use any products associated with tobacco, chewing is just as bad. you might as well be inhaling diesel exhaust.

• Brohoof 1

Ew, no, both are disgusting.

1. It's disgusting and unhealthy.

2. My parents do, but my mom is trying to quit, and my brother chews dip. :eww:

3. No.

4. Don't start.

• Brohoof 1

If no:

A) Because anti-smoking campaigns and advertisements have convinced me not to.

B. My mother smokes, she started when she was 19 and I don't really have a problem with it. Sure, I urge her to stop because it's not good for her health, but it's her choice and she continues to smoke.

C) I won't lie that at some points I have considered it because I'm curious what's so good about it.

D) One smoke can change your life for most likely the worst.

Edited by Colour

I have to admit, I smoke clove cigarettes every once in a great while...

I took my first drag of a regular cigarette at 15, out of sheer curiosity.

It was pretty meh at first. Nothing really special. There was a sweet flavor that accompanied my first clove, but long gone now...

3. Do you regret it?

No, actually. It's not like I smoke all the time, after all!

At least wait until you're old enough, and don't chain smoke if you do!

Never have.

Q1. Why did you choose not to?

I've heard so many horrible cancers and diseases of the heart and lungs caused by smoking. It seems horrible and I don't wanna get addicted because I might choose to keep doing it and risk my health and life.

Q2. Do any of your friends or family smoke/chew and how do you feel about it?

Not really, my mother used to smoke but a little while after she got married she stopped. I think anyone who doesn't is in the right.

Q3. Do you wish (even for a moment) that you did start?

Never. I've never felt any emotional challenge hard enough to start smoking and I don't wish to risk my health with any horrible disease.

Q4. What advice would you give to someone thinking on starting?

If you start, you may never wanna stop. The more you do it, the less chance of a happy life you'll have.

Well, I enjoy cigars on rare occasions, so... I guess yes? But I've really only had a few :P

1. "started" isn't really a good word for it since it's not a habit of mine, but my first cigar was at age 20. I did it because I wanted to :P I never felt pressured to or anything, I just wanted to give it a shot.

2. Sure, I enjoy a good cigar, it helps you relax. I've also been meaning to try hookah, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

3. Nope, absolutely no regrets.

4. Look, smoking isn't the scourge of the Earth that everypony makes it out to be. Sure, it's bad for you, but so are Twinnkies... I mean, chances are you'd be in pretty sad shape if you ate a pack of Twinkies every day, and the people who smoke a pack of cigarettes every day are in sorry shape as well; in either case, the trouble only arises if you don't know how to control yourself. I'd hesitate to call all the anti-smoking campaigns "propaganda", but that's the closest word to what I'm looking for. Just take it in moderation and you'll be fine... Although I'd suggest cigars over cigarettes any day!

Edited by Hocus Pocus

No, but I've always had the odd feeling I'd end up doing it some time sooner or later.

The ONLY reason why I don't is because I'm my parents' "good child", I say fuck in front of either of them and they'll both look at me like I summoned Satan despite the fact that I have a sailor mouth and my whole family knows it.

Given the circumstances, I don't really WANT better physical health or a longer lifespan. So starting wouldn't really be a problem, my main concern is the fact that if I do get addicted I'll probably end up paying out of my ass for it in the long run.

If you're thinking about starting, just take what I said in to consideration. Just don't do it if you care about your health and wealth.

I smoked my first cigarette at 16 and started smoking hookah at 18. I didn't really have any reason to smoke, I just liked the idea of smoking, just thinking about it made me more relaxed and one day I decided to try it. I bought a pack of Marlboro Red and smoked one when I felt frustrated. It felt really relaxing so I started doing it sometimes when I felt like lighting a cig would help me, which was once or twice every season. Eventually my interest turned into smoking hookah for the same reason as I started smoking cigs. The idea of flavored smoking and blowing out lots of smoke while relaxing in my garden appealed to me. So I tried it one day and I loved it. I stepped off the cigarettes and smoke hookah.

I always enjoyed smoking a lot, I hardly ever did it and I don't have any addiction at all. I just liked smoking for what it was, just smoking, relaxing and let the nicotine do the rest. And when it comes to hookah, enjoy the sweet taste of strawberry or apple. I hardly ever smoke these days, last time I smoked a cigarette or shisha was more than half a year ago now. I do smoke marijuana every other month if I have the time.

3. Do you regret it?

Not at all. I know the dangers of smoking even if I smoke infrequently. The chance of getting cancer is always there even long after you smoked your last cigarette. It's a huge danger for any regular smoker and it might seem weird I smoked for the reason that I did. but if it weren't for smoking a cigarette or shisha, I might have gotten some pretty hard burnouts and grey hairs already. And that's a lot worse.

Just know what you're getting into. That doesn't just go for smoking. It goes for everything. Know what you're getting yourself into, or at least have some realistic expectations. People act like smoking is the devil, I've heard people cry about smoking while they eat an xxl bag of chips and a 1.5L cola bottle every day. I've heard people dislike me just because I smoke hookah while they can't even cycle up a hill or sprint 50 meters. So really, is smoking that bad? Yes, it's bad. No, it's not the end of your life. Yes it can be, but so can anything. Anything can kill you, at any moment.

That's why I smoke, I smoke to relax at the moments when I feel like I want to pull my hair out. Besides smoking, I eat healthy, hardly eat any junk food or drink soda, I exercise every day and work out three times a week. So please don't sue or condemn me for enjoying a joint, a cigarette or some shisha once in a blue moon like some people like to do for no reason whatsoever.

• Brohoof 1

No, i do not.

A. Because i'm not an idiot who wishes to throw their life away.

B. My mother used to, but stopped years ago, but relatives still do it regardless of my warning.

C. Never.

D. Stop for a moment and think about the risks of doing so, you get cancer from those things. You may not think its going to do anything and you think it helps relieve your stress; but in truth the risks outweigh the benefits(which are very tiny), and are not worth even one stick. You'd only be hurting those around you and will lose precious years off your lifespan, I know what becomes of those who do this and you don't want to see everyone in your family and friends saddened by seeing you like that.  

• Brohoof 1

Nope. In fact, I'm quite against it.

If no:

A. I want my lungs and teeth to stay healthy :P

B. There are probably some who smoke/chew currently, but I'm not sure. Although, my grandfather used to smoke and chew, however he ended up making his lungs unhealthy, to the point where he had to move to Arizona because his lungs were unhealthy. In fact, recently, he had his lung collapse, where I had to go to Arizona for a week last August, and he actually stated it was still a side effect from all the smoking.

C. Not at all. As I said, I'm incredibly against it.

D. I'd just say don't do it, and give that little story I said in Answer B.