Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will reformed Discord be more like Q? (season 4 spoilers)

newfrickinshow

Prior to the season 4 finale I don't think any of us really bought into the idea of 'reformed' Discord as being truly reformed.  But now he has gone full circle and come around to what seems a believable, full reformation do you think there's any chance we'll see even more Q in Discord's character.  I remember him periodically popping in to teach Captain Picard lessons about life and allow him opportunities to grow as a person and character.  Considering what MLP is as a show that almost seems too perfect of a role for the good Discord to take on from here on out.

Thoughts?

• Brohoof 4

I actually think that is what we will start to see, at least a little. In later Trek appearances, Q was an annoyance, occasionally a helpful one, but not antagonistic himself. I do see his antics causing some annoyances, and his trickster mindset being retained. I do see the Mane Six learning to deal with it though, much like the Enterprise and Voyager crews started to. The big difference is that Discord will represent a new 'learning' character who has not mastered friendship and has a lot to learn. That aspect wasn't completely present in Q. 

I am excited about the potential here.  :umad:

• Brohoof 2

It will be interesting to see what happens. What made Discord's neutral character much more interesting than his villainous one was how he liked to play with logic, and he still liked to be playful. I'm hopeful that he will at least retain some of these characteristics as he has even more potential to grow now.

• Brohoof 1

It could happen considering the similarities Discord's going to draw from Q.

How he goes about life in his fully reformed style after his betrayal turnabout with Tirek would make some huge potential considering the strengthened relationships and friendship between the very ponies he now fully considered freinds. It could happen for those who haven't seen the season and for those who haven't reached the end of the season.

I do kinda hope season five introduces a Picard-based pony that Discord openly trolls on a constant basis.

Star Swirl the Bearded would be perfect for that if he is ever introduced :D 

I do kinda hope season five introduces a Picard-based pony that Discord openly trolls on a constant basis.

I once considered the idea of an anti-Discord draconequus voiced by Patrick Stewart.  Since the spirit of chaos and disharmony is an ally of Equestria (apparently) there may be a spirit of law and order who now sees them as an enemy as a result.  He could end up being a strict, over-bearing, dictator type of spirit of law and order.

I think it's likely we'll see this in Season 5. This was his role in "Princess Twilight Sparkle". His actions setting the plot in motion, combined with his stepping back into an observing role without using his powers to help in order to teach the main characters the lesson mirrors what Q did in "Q Who". Discord could have ended the plunder seed problem just as Q could have ended the Borg encounter (both situations the de Lancie characters started), but stepped back, with no regard as to damage, injury, or death, in order to teach both leaders (Picard and Twilight) lessons in humility and leadership.

He fit this role pretty good in "Three's a Crowd", wrenching Twilight's day out just to teach her a lesson the same way. We haven't seen much of this in his other appearances; instead it was him learning the lessons, but it's much better when he's the one teaching the lessons. Not to say he shouldn't be in that role once in a while, it's that this side of him should be acknowledged more often. Discord and Q are characters who seek validation and are intelligent enough to identify situations in which they can fulfill their egotistical desire to prove "I'm right". That's where the real strength and uniqueness in these characters lies.

Twilight is probably the closest we'll have to that. ;)

Edited by Wind Chaser

I sure hope not. Q and Discord are pretty similar in many ways, but Q can be downright malicious if he thinks its amusing, as well as incredibly arrogant and self righteous. I tend to see Discord as a less malicious version of Q

• Brohoof 1

Q??? How is Q? Is he a new pony or a background pony or in equestria girls.

Q is the seemingly omnipotent entity who (among other things) once put the crew of the starship Enterprise on trial for the crimes of humanity and introduced The Borg to humanity.