Drawponies tracing scandal!

Dannyboy

pfft. Don't care really. 
His comics are funny, arts not the only part that counts there. 
I mean yeah its lazy but its not exactly the worst thing. Should definitely have owned up about it but >.<

(After reading through it the only part that I can consider bad is the sold art, due to copyright and all that.]
Also here's the article

http://www.horse-news.net/2015/04/drawponies-scandal-popular-artist.html

Edited by Aleh
  • Brohoof 2

The problem is that he's traced the show, that he was expected to draw by himself being a famous artist, or that he made money from it ?

Probably some combination of the 3. Also some people REALLY hate the idea of tracing. Even if the majority of the work is done normally. Guess I can understand that, because there's less talent involved (And because its technically plagarism. Sort of)

Either way I feel like the fandoms turning this into massive drama when there really doesn't need to be. But thats kind of expected xD

• Brohoof 2

I've read the article and frankly this is rather disturbing of how Drawponies (or Traceponies now) is caught with this vile act. To put it in perspective of how bad it is, many artists consider tracing someone's art work without giving credit and making a profit off of it like Drawponies has done to be a major form of plagiarism in art. I asked my amateur artist in my younger brother of how bad it is, he was very pissed off when he heard about what the artist and he personally believes the artist deserves everything happening to him and more punishment should happen as he considers tracing and making a profit out of it not only plagiarism but a scummy method by an artist to do.

Because he has been caught using show assets to trace over, claiming as his own, and making a profit off of it him puts him in legal trouble if Hasbro finds out. They can send a C&D towards him for using those assets and claiming it as his own and he cannot argue against it as he will lose badly in court as that is considered a form of plagiarism and Hasbro has gone after animators for using DHX's assets so there is precedence for it. 

I hold no sympathy for him as he knew what he was doing, but didn't cared as he wanted the profit and money. He should be punished for his transgression, even a C&D order from Hasbro as he has knowingly lied to his art group for his skill in art, stolen other artists, claimed it as his own, and made profit off of it Now I hope he reaps the consequences for his actions in full.

• Brohoof 4

i am glad that people like him can fully make a living out of their "craft".

I´ve never understood why anyone would want to have art that looks EXACTLY like the show( why dont people just cut out the Characters from screenshots?), so it comes to my surprise that people are actually angry at him for the fact that he traces from the show, seeing that it looks exactly like it anyway.

Also kind of funny how he just openly shows it in his livestream.

Edited by Sceethe

After looking into it a little more, it's interesting what people have dug up about it.

superimposed.png 

superimposed2.png 

print3.png 

After seeing some of these, it's kind of hard to believe some people haven't noticed him tracing before. I mean, I've noticed it too, but never really cared enough to dig into it. Seems Hasbro is about to break out the almighty ban hammer.

ReportedToHasbro.jpg 

Also, he's renamed his Patreon. Yeah, this guy's in trouble. :huh:

• Brohoof 2

not really a big deal that he traced, it is a great learning tool, what IS a big deal is he SOLD the traced and photoshopped art as his own original work and made a living doing it!  really dishonest on his part because it is basically art theft because he is not really drawing anything original. the flim flam brothers would be proud! I think the gravy train is over for him though, and he might actually care if he hadn't already made so much money selling people traced stuff, i saw one blanket he photoshopped  together he was selling for 150.00! so very dishonest to pass others work off as your own and even more so to actually PROFIT from it!

• Brohoof 11

i am glad that people like him can fully make a living out of their "craft".

I´ve never understood why anyone would want to have art that looks EXACTLY like the show( why dont people just cut out the Characters from screenshots?), so it comes to my surprise that people are actually angry at him for the fact that he traces from the show, seeing that it looks exactly like it anyway.

Also kind of funny how he just openly shows it in his livestream.

Well in terms of selling it I guess its bordering on the "maybe you shouldn't thats kind of illegal" side. So I can understand people being pissed about that .

(Although it's pretty funny watching the fandom get REALLY into the idea of taking down fanworks, when usually they'd be horrified about the very idea of hasbro doing that. I.e: Any abridged thing, fighting is magic etc. ).  

Again I'm going to say that the art looks good (Although ofc it would xD) and his writing style sort of improves things (Unless ofc, he completely stole that as well : P) so I'm not really too mad (But at the same time I guess I didn't buy any of it)

• Brohoof 1

Well in terms of selling it I guess its bordering on the "maybe you shouldn't thats kind of illegal" side. So I can understand people being pissed about that .

(Although it's pretty funny watching the fandom get REALLY into the idea of taking down fanworks, when usually they'd be horrified about the very idea of hasbro doing that. I.e: Any abridged thing, fighting is magic etc. ).  

Again I'm going to say that the art looks good (Although ofc it would xD) and his writing style sort of improves things (Unless ofc, he completely stole that as well : P) so I'm not really too mad (But at the same time I guess I didn't buy any of it)

it's not how he did it, tracing is no big deal, it's more the fact of how he was deceptive about it and sold traced work as his own hand made art. it is more than illegal, it is unethical, it is the fact that he acted like he drew it all by hand when he didn't, he might as well have just flat out stolen other people's art and passed it off as his own "which he did, he stole all the animators at hasbro work"

• Brohoof 5

He is making a living off of it.

He just sits there, copying art from someone else( he could literally be just cutting out vectors, that is exactly the same), while animators who use puppets that aren´t even originally from the show and DONT even get ANY money from it are getting banned left and right.

To put that in perspective, that is the same as if i´d be taking someone´s book, change it a bit and sell it as my own.Because, you know, if i change a few things, then it isnt stealing.

And then i am just going to do it again.

And again...and again.

That doesn´t make you.. at least dislike the guy a little bit?

• Brohoof 2

I thought it was obvious. I mean, he drew a lot of the ponies in notable poses from the show. Like, EXACTLY the same poses as the show. He also used a lot of stock poses in his "art".

• Brohoof 5

He is making a living off of it.

He just sits there, copying art from someone else( he could literally be just cutting out vectors, that is exactly the same), while animators who use puppets that aren´t even originally from the show and DONT even get ANY money from it are getting banned left and right.

To put that in perspective, that is the same as if i´d be taking someone´s book, change it a bit and sell it as my own.Because, you know, if i change a few things, then it isnt stealing.

And then i am just going to do it again.

And again...and again.

That doesn´t make you.. at least dislike the guy a little bit?

that is like taking a movie, and using photo editing software to superimpose your face over Brad Pitt's face and acting like you starred in the movie and not him LOL

• Brohoof 1

Who runs that legal department, anyway? Bizarro?

Bizarro-animated.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I always had a hunch he traced, and now that the info is out he's just a scumbag. I can't draw for my life, and he's out making traces and making an insane amount of money off of it. It's sickening.

Hopefully Hasbro goes after him with legal action.

• Brohoof 2

I am very very disappointed cause I actually liked the work that drawponies did. 

You know I feel the pain artists feel here, because people work so god damn hard on art and this loser skates on by and makes MONEY from TRACING. Something any 6 year old with a pen or marker could do. I have seen people tracing and recoloring (Equestria Stories) and they aren't shunned by the community, but they also aren't making money, but It's all the same. Point is if you wanna draw art LEARN SOME ART and actually put some effort in.       

• Brohoof 1

Who runs that legal department, anyway? Bizarro?

Bizarro-animated.jpg

I don´t really know who that is, but i guess you are making a joke about how strict the legal department of hasbro is?

In case i am right with that assumption, i agree that banning animators from using the puppets is a bit too much.

I talked to Neil at the Ponycon NYC vendor hall. And he seemed like a pretty nice person. Despite the fact that this happened, he may be a bad artist. But that doesn't mean he's a bad person.

Unless money is involved.

Guys, I'm Drawponies, and I admit that it's all true. This is my actual drawing skill.

jk :P

On a serious note, the guy obviously has legitimate skill. If he had just shown some integrity and publicly disclosed from day 1 that was was tracing some aspects of his art, I don't think there would be an issue here. Sure by some he might not be considered a peer on par with the the rest of the artists who present their own unique art, but to the consumer there really wouldn't have been much of a concern. The show's style is deserving of emulation, but where he screwed up is choosing to lie about it.  

post-9014-0-93787300-1429558121_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2