Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle?

user1342342

(edited)

So can anyone explain to me the appeal of this character? Why do people like her? I personally think that she's a boring character, I've never really liked her. Twilight, the archmage, scientist, historian, who's talented in magic like no other and is also the element of magic, is overly gifted. Her personality is also near perfect, with her flaws being minor and overcame rather quickly. She outshines pretty much every character on the show, and we're reminded frequently of how "special" she is. 

Edited by 1CJB

She's a bookish nerdchick and kind of the main character in the show. She's very powerful and you've seen her grow the most out of all probably.

She's probably my least favourite out of the mane 6 but still pretty high on the list of ponies I can enjoy. For me mostly because she's often the smart one who has to deal with the friends she has to put up with. Also the moments she has to go totally loco for reasons. Lesson Zero was a glorious episode. 

• Brohoof 2

She's a bookish nerdchick and kind of the main character in the show. She's very powerful and you've seen her grow the most out of all probably.

She's probably my least favourite out of the mane 6 but still pretty high on the list of ponies I can enjoy. For me mostly because she's often the smart one who has to deal with the friends she has to put up with. Also the moments she has to go totally loco for reasons. Lesson Zero was a glorious episode. 

The main character thing doesn't really excuse it for me, it actually makes it worse. I also think that she's absurdly powerful. 

Twilight freaking out in lesson zero made me laugh, that was pretty funny. 

Whom would you find more appealing?

On one side you have the character who is not only a princess with a near-infinite range of skills and abilities, but who also lacks a general capacity to make mistakes or display flaws, as well as the one who consistently receives intense life-or-death laser battles.

On the other side you have the five who now seem like immature idiots in comparison, not only due to their how consistently they make mistakes and display their own flaws, but also by how incapable they are at coming up with solutions. Who are not anywhere near as skilled, nor have anything remotely comparable to the abilities the aforementioned character has.  Who have been frequently shown to be utterly useless without her, even to the point where they can become helplessly captured and forced to rely on her to save them. And who are clearly not going to receive any rewards on the level that she has received. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So can anyone explain to me the appeal of this character? Why do people like her? I personally think that's she's a boring character, I've never really liked her. Twilight, the archmage, scientist, historian, who's talented in magic like no other and is also the element of magic, is overly gifted. Her personality is also near perfect, with her flaws being minor and overcame rather quickly. She outshines pretty much every character on the show, and we're reminded frequently of how "special" she is. 

She was more fun to me when she was the adorkable student that had to reach deadlines, freaks out over nothing, makes a list of a list of a list of a list....

She can still be like this even as a princess.... why do they not follow by Lauren's line of thinking??!??!

The comedy in the series has dwindled lately.

Edited by cidershield
  • Brohoof 2

I think Twilight started out as a reasonable, flawed character. She was overly rule-bound and a bit opposed to socializing, seeing it as a waste of time. The latter she ironed out in the pilot episode alone, which was a bit cheap if you ask me.

The former, she was working on for all of season 1 and even a little bit in season 2. Since then, though, she's been a nearly perfect character, only flawed as a one-off episode, always resolving it by the end, and never as an actual character trait. Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

However, she's still the character most focused on, and we can still admire her strengths when she shows them.  I guess I've just not come to expect any more character development from Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

You're not the only one who dislikes her. A lot of peopple did and even more so now that she is an alicorn.

• Brohoof 1

I think she HAS become a bit too MUCH of a leader for her own purposes of being a student... SHe doesn't seem as nerdy any more which was really charming because I know I could relate to that a bit more.

I still like her for sure, but I do think she needs some sort of tarnish.

Otherwise, she'll be Equestria's equivalent of Superman: all-powerful, but having to face some imaginary, self-induced conflicts.

• Brohoof 2

Anyone remember when Twilight could never find the book she was looking for but someone like Spike or Pinkie found it. Yeah I know that has become cliche but that's the kind of thing I'm talking about was what Twilight is like. She overcomplicates things... and it's up to her friends to help her out on that weakness that was what was endearing about Twilight.

Yeah and she's an alicorn... please don't remind me.... :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

Whom would you find more appealing?

On one side you have the character who is not only a princess with a near-infinite range of skills and abilities, but who also lacks a general capacity to make mistakes or display flaws, as well as the one who consistently receives intense life-or-death laser battles.

On the other side you have the five who now seem like immature idiots in comparison, not only due to their how consistently they make mistakes and display their own flaws, but also by how incapable they are at coming up with solutions. Who are not anywhere near as skilled, nor have anything remotely comparable to the abilities the aforementioned character has.  Who have been frequently shown to be utterly useless without her, even to the point where they can become helplessly captured and forced to rely on her to save them. And who are clearly not going to receive any rewards on the level that she has received. 

That's a bit extreme if you ask me. I don't think the other five are idiots, even compared to Twilight. I do agree that she is overly-privileged/gifted to an absurd degree. 

I think Twilight started out as a reasonable, flawed character. She was overly rule-bound and a bit opposed to socializing, seeing it as a waste of time. The latter she ironed out in the pilot episode alone, which was a bit cheap if you ask me.

The former, she was working on for all of season 1 and even a little bit in season 2. Since then, though, she's been a nearly perfect character, only flawed as a one-off episode, always resolving it by the end, and never as an actual character trait. Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

However, she's still the character most focused on, and we can still admire her strengths when she shows them.  I guess I've just not come to expect any more character development from Twilight.

I don't think Twilight should be the focus any longer, the other characters have far more potential for character growth.

You're not the only one who dislikes her. A lot of peopple did and even more so now that she is an alicorn.

I stopped caring about Twilight's character before the whole alicorn transformation. I still don't believe that she deserved to become one. 

(edited)

Sigh. You can find fault or dislike any character. I really don't like Pinkie Pie, but I see and accept that she has a role to play and is just one more element of the show (no pun intended). Twilight is no different. To paraphrase Celestia they all play their part.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 2

@@1CJB,

Dude, Twilight Sparkle has had arguably THE MOST character development over the course of the ENTIRE SERIES .

When we first saw her, she was an anti-social prick that didn't wanna make friends, or have anything to do with anypony but herself.  >_>

Then, she became more open to the idea of friendship as the seasons progressed, earning herself respect and friends. :)

Now, she's a princess, because she EARNED it. She has come a long way with her friends and has done many good things with them. And has become the friendly nerd who her friends come to for help. So it does make sense for her to have become a Princess in S4.  ^_^

And there you have it. Twilight's character in a nutshell. Like her? Hate her? Your decision.  B)

• Brohoof 2

Sigh. You can find fault or dislike any character. I really don't like Pinkie Pie, but I see and accept that she has a role to play and is just one more element of the show (no pun intended). Twilight is no different. To paraphrase Celestia they all play their part.

Cool. I gave my reasons for disliking Twilight, the character being discussed here. I'm just asking why people like her. 

Also, screw the shows view on destiny, we make our own.

(edited)

Cool. I gave my reasons for disliking Twilight, the character being discussed here. I'm just asking why people like her.

Also, screw the shows view on destiny, we make our own.

Why does anybody like any character? Well written, interesting, relatable in some way (not always!), and dynamic which I honestly think Twilight is. You're asking the wrong question I think. It's not do you like or dislike blank. That's limiting. The better question is do they add something to the show and do they fill their role well? Edited by Nature's Spell

Oh boy. Here we go again

I like her because she's genuinely kind/thoughtful, but also very modest despite her rank and abilities. I really relate to a lot of her concerns and struggles throughout the series. The whole alicorn thing hasn't changed any of this for me :)

• Brohoof 5

Oh boy. Here we go again

I like her because she's genuinely kind/thoughtful, but also very modest despite her rank and abilities. I really relate to a lot of her concerns and struggles throughout the series. The whole alicorn thing hasn't changed any of this for me :)

I do think Twilight is kind/thoughtful, and modest. I don't hate her, I just think she's a boring, badly written character.

Why does anybody like any character? Well written, interesting, relatable in some way (not always!), and dynamic which I honestly think Twilight is. You're asking the wrong question I think. It's not do you like or dislike blank. That's limiting. The better question is do they add something to the show and do they fill their role well?

I find myself questioning Twilight's "role". I don't think she adds anything to the show, and I would much rather see the others.

(edited)

I do think Twilight is kind/thoughtful, and modest. I don't hate her, I just think she's a boring, badly written character.

I find myself questioning Twilight's "role". I don't think she adds anything to the show, and I would much rather see the others.

Which is your right, but many will disagree and again I think at times none of the Mane 6 add anything to the show. Let alone secondary characters. Ensemble shows are like that. Edited by Nature's Spell

Which is your right, but many will disagree and again I think at times none of the Mane 6 add anything to the show. Let alone secondary characters.

Let me rephrase what I wrote. I don't think Twilight adds anything good or interesting to the show. The other characters are why I still watch it.

Without twilight there wouldn't be the mane six xD

She is technically the main character, and without her there then bad shit would happen

Also twilight is purple

(edited)

I don't understand the point of your question.

The right question isn't why do people like Twilight Sparkle, but why do you persist in hating her ?

I gain nothing from hating a fictional character that isn't meant to be hated, thus I make sure that, even if I don't have to love everyone of them, I don't overhate them just for being. It makes no sense to waste time, energy and happiness into such things as hate toward fiction.

EDIT: I may have misundertsood your point of view considering the answers you've given while I have writing.

Edited by ConcorDisparate
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

If you watch Twilight earlier on in the series you will see that she was fairly anti social, often sarcastic and has some rather severe outbreaks of OCD which resulting in episodes like Lesson Zero for example. This has been lessened as her character has grown but what remains are some subtle signs of OCD, excessive perfectionism and glaring insecurities about dissapointing Celestia and a few others she respects and admires (especially Celestia).

She also has a few "adorkable" traits which a lot of fans seem to like though there don't seem to be as many of these moments in recent seasons and honestly some of her problems seem a bit contrived like the whole "I am good for nothing" one during the season 4 premier and her ascension while it thankfully hasn't irredeemably Mary Sued her yet as I feared has still done her no favors. Despite that though Twilight is still a great character and I can understand both why some like her and others don't.

Edited by Darth Bane
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't understand the point of your question.

The right question isn't why do people like Twilight Sparkle, but why do you persist in hating her ?

I gain nothing from hating a fictional character that isn't meant to be hated, thus I make sure that, even if I don't have to love everyone of them, I don't overhate them just for being. It makes no sense to waste time, energy and happiness into such things as hate toward fiction.

EDIT: I may have misundertsood your point of view considering the answers you've given while I have writing.

I challenge you to point out where I said that I hated Twilight. I think my question was clear and straightforward.

Edit: I saw your edit.

Edited by 1CJB

She is a library egghead who is Celestia's personal student and one of the bearer of the elements of Harmony. Also, if this show had a real mane character, it would be her.

I know what you mean by what is so special about her but then I have to ask, what is there not to like about her? I guess with characters like her you either love them or don't

I don't think Twilight should be the focus any longer, the other characters have far more potential for character growth.

Hear, hear. Maybe we should swap out Twilight and Sunset Shimmer. I'm sure Sunny's still got some character flaws up her sleeve.

Of course, being the main character, she'll cure them all in a season or two, then we'll need to replace her again. 

I'm just asking why people like her. 

Because opinions. Seriously, don't bother asking why. Hell, Applejack has been my favorite pony since season 2, during a time when she was still the most universally hated of the mane six. Yet I still could have listed several reasons why I loved her more than the others.