Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle?

user1342342

For most of us, Twilight Sparkle had come a long way from not knowing much about friendship to fully understanding what it is all about. Through many struggles, Twilight was never alone because she had friends by her side. It's true that she has some flaws but there's no denying that she played a very important role. Without her, the rainbow of friendship would be incomplete and Equestria would be in utter turmoil. Remember when she fought against the tyrannical Tirek? Woo, was that amazing?

After all the adventures she had evolved after been through many adventures with her friends and helping those in need, it shows that Twilight Sparkle is the best pony (in my opinion).

Please do not argue over this or the Dazzlings would find us and feed on our energy...

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

While my least favorite of the Mane 6, I like Twilight because she's a kind pony that wants to help ponies out, her moments of OCD as well as her sarcasm and wit, which sadly have been downplayed a lot post-Alicornification, but they are still there.  That being said I do find her very overpowered and lacking any sort of challenge, weather it be internal (personality flaw) or external (such as a challenging opponent/idea)  

Edited by Sidral Mundet

(edited)

For most of us, Twilight Sparkle had come a long way from not knowing much about friendship to fully understanding what it is all about. Through many struggles, Twilight was never alone because she had friends by her side. It's true that she has some flaws but there's no denying that she played a very important role. Without her, the rainbow of friendship would be incomplete and Equestria would be in utter turmoil. Remember when she fought against the tyrannical Tirek? Woo, was that amazing?

After all the adventures she had evolved after been through many adventures with her friends and helping those in need, it shows that Twilight Sparkle is the best pony (in my opinion).

Please do not argue over this or the Dazzlings would find us and feed on our energy...

Twilight was given every opportunity possible, she grew up insanely privileged, and still is. Most of her accomplishments are not fully her's, and she's put on a pedestal above all the other characters. Twilight's role could have easily been different. The other characters could have been just as important as her, Twilight's element could be another positive trait instead of "magic". 

I don't think Twilight has come a long way, she's gotten worse in my opinion.

Edited by 1CJB
  • Brohoof 1

I like Twilight Sparkle. Why? Because in my opinion, she's the friendliest pony. Especially how her tone of voice sounds when talking to other ponies. Also, she developed a lot as the series progressed. Do I think she's perfect? Heck no!

• Brohoof 3

I like Twilight Sparkle. Why? Because in my opinion, she's the friendliest pony. Especially how her tone of voice sounds when talking to other ponies. Also, she developed a lot as the series progressed. Do I think she's perfect? Heck no!

No doubt Twilight a friendly pony, I don't think she's absolutely perfect though.

@@1CJB,

Dude, Twilight Sparkle has had arguably THE MOST character development over the course of the ENTIRE SERIES .

When we first saw her, she was an anti-social prick that didn't wanna make friends, or have anything to do with anypony but herself.  >_>

Then, she became more open to the idea of friendship as the seasons progressed, earning herself respect and friends. :)

Now, she's a princess, because she EARNED it. She has come a long way with her friends and has done many good things with them. And has become the friendly nerd who her friends come to for help. So it does make sense for her to have become a Princess in S4.  ^_^

And there you have it. Twilight's character in a nutshell. Like her? Hate her? Your decision.  B)

Yeah, but... that means her character development is BASICALLY over. She's pretty much perfect now. That means the show will end soon. 

Geez, some of the replies in here tell me that some of you didn't watch every episode from start to finish. When Princess Celestia herself takes in a student to teach them, she is looking to eventually promote them into royalty if they excel in their studies. Throughout the course of the series, she has been learning lessons to iron out her major flaws as best as she can to be worthy of the title of royalty.

Well, I personally don't find it worth it to hate anyone, let alone a fictional character. Waste of time.

But I wouldn't argue with you if you were to say that Twilight's a mary-sue. Because... she kinda is... in my opinion, anyway.

(edited)

I could write a very, very long post describing why I love Twilight so much, but it basically comes down to the fact that I relate to her the most out of the Mane 6 and I admire her characteristics a lot (humility, eagerness to be friendly which she's struggled with in the past, character development, love of knowledge for its own sake, etc.). But the thread seems a bit antagonistic and I don't want to come across as defensive, so I'll let two of my favorite scenes with her from the series speak for themselves :adorkable::

Edited by estoc

I think Twilight holds a big reputation from being voiced by Tara Strong who voiced other cartoons that people are familiar with as well. That wasn't why I liked her but giving you an example. I do like her voice though :)

I honestly hate twilight now. She pretty much makes every scene she's in WORSE by virtue of her presence, and she's virtually poison to the comic's plots (Cattle rustler arc, I am looking at YOU).

Now, I USED to really like her. Back in Season 1, she was VERY OCD and adorkable, and had lots of spunk to her with tons of snark. She wouldn't hesitate to be snippy with the others and be little miss snark. THIS WAS ENTERTAINING. She wasn't perfect, she had her flaws, and I loved seeing her freak out. Additionally, her snarkiness would often lend itself well to jokes where she'd then find herself falling flat on her face in juxtposition to her being prideful a minute ago.

Now? Her only flaws are wangsting about herself or not being good enough, or worrying that she has no place in the world. She's basically become like Gohan post Cell: her only flaws are just moping but is presented as a messiah past that-- and that's more or less why Gohan got booted from importance past that because it was TERRIBLY boring for a character. Same deal here. Twilight's had all enjoyment value vaccuumed out.
It in fact why I welcome Human Twilight in EQG. Maybe she'll be her S1 self and not so freaking boring of an infuriating paragon.

Additionally, she did NOT envelope everything as a black hole for plots like she does now when it comes to adventures. The finale? The other 5 are more or less just window dressing, and everything focuses on her and her role in the world. Lets double back to S1: The gala. Did it revolve around Twilight? HECK NO. It gave us a great view of all the mane six and focus on each of them. Return of harmony? Was it about Twilight and her as a plotline like how TCE focused on her? NO. It focused on all of the six, with celestia noting how all of them have grown.
Previously we got great focus on all six of them for things of note, now its absolutely UNTHINKABLE for anything to happen that doesn't revolve around her like the sun. Heck, if they remade Cutie mark chronicles now, they'd probably retcon everyone getting their cutie marks thanks to twilight or something.

Hear, hear. Maybe we should swap out Twilight and Sunset Shimmer. I'm sure Sunny's still got some character flaws up her sleeve.

Of course, being the main character, she'll cure them all in a season or two, then we'll need to replace her again. 

More or less what's happened in the Equestria girls universe; now we need to wait and see how THAT twilight behaves since sunset stole her role XD

• Brohoof 1

Oh look, it's another, "Why do people like this character?" thread. And you know what? I see more threads of Twilight than any other of the mane 6. These threads generally lead to heated arguments and end up locked.

I like her because I relate to her the most. 

(edited)

I honestly hate twilight now. She pretty much makes every scene she's in WORSE by virtue of her presence, and she's virtually poison to the comic's plots (Cattle rustler arc, I am looking at YOU).

Now, I USED to really like her. Back in Season 1, she was VERY OCD and adorkable, and had lots of spunk to her with tons of snark. She wouldn't hesitate to be snippy with the others and be little miss snark. THIS WAS ENTERTAINING. She wasn't perfect, she had her flaws, and I loved seeing her freak out. Additionally, her snarkiness would often lend itself well to jokes where she'd then find herself falling flat on her face in juxtposition to her being prideful a minute ago.

Now? Her only flaws are wangsting about herself or not being good enough, or worrying that she has no place in the world. She's basically become like Gohan post Cell: her only flaws are just moping but is presented as a messiah past that-- and that's more or less why Gohan got booted from importance past that because it was TERRIBLY boring for a character. Same deal here. Twilight's had all enjoyment value vaccuumed out.

It in fact why I welcome Human Twilight in EQG. Maybe she'll be her S1 self and not so freaking boring of an infuriating paragon.

Additionally, she did NOT envelope everything as a black hole for plots like she does now when it comes to adventures. The finale? The other 5 are more or less just window dressing, and everything focuses on her and her role in the world. Lets double back to S1: The gala. Did it revolve around Twilight? HECK NO. It gave us a great view of all the mane six and focus on each of them. Return of harmony? Was it about Twilight and her as a plotline like how TCE focused on her? NO. It focused on all of the six, with celestia noting how all of them have grown.

Previously we got great focus on all six of them for things of note, now its absolutely UNTHINKABLE for anything to happen that doesn't revolve around her like the sun. Heck, if they remade Cutie mark chronicles now, they'd probably retcon everyone getting their cutie marks thanks to twilight or something.

More or less what's happened in the Equestria girls universe; now we need to wait and see how THAT twilight behaves since sunset stole her role XD

I didn't even like her in season one, she's just a badly thought of character. I think the whole setup should have been different, Twilight being the center of it all just doesn't sit well with me. The way she's treated on the show also annoys me, she's given more opportunity and praise than any other character, and most of the characters befriend her just by meeting her. 

Edited by 1CJB

I like Twilight because she's still a bit nerdy, even though it's become less pronounced as the show went on. I also like her sarcastic remarks at times, although she's hardly the only one who can make them.

Aside from that, I like how she's probably the most powerful pony in the universe, being the embodiment of magic and all that, and still feels insecure about herself, and is still driven to practice and study every day, instead of becoming complacent with her limitless power.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't even like her in season one, she's just a badly thought of character. I think the whole setup should have been different, Twilight being the center of it all just doesn't sit well with me. 

I loved her in season 1. The Return of Harmony at least had all the mane six receiving equal praise and recognition, but ever since then, yes, Twilight has received significantly more praise. It's never really been that annoying until she became an alicorn, since now we're gradually teetering on the edge of Twilight being the only main/important character, while the other five are simply sidekicks.

This is supported by how the mane five are rather unceremoniously left out of the Equestria Girls franchise while she is not, and how they and their Elements of Harmony are apparently not needed in the slightest to dispel evil. Also, Twilight's Kingdom proved that they can be reduced to helpless damsels if it means that Twilight gets to shine over them. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I loved her in season 1. The Return of Harmony at least had all the mane six receiving equal praise and recognition, but ever since then, yes, Twilight has received significantly more praise. It's never really been that annoying until she became an alicorn, since now we're gradually teetering on the edge of Twilight being the only main/important character, while the other five are simply sidekicks.

This is supported by how the mane five are rather unceremoniously left out of the Equestria Girls franchise while she is not, and how they and their Elements of Harmony are apparently not needed in the slightest to dispel evil. Also, Twilight's Kingdom proved that they can be reduced to helpless damsels if it means that Twilight gets to shine over them. 

Personally, I feel it started around S3 rather than the alicorn thing. I was finding myself very irked at Twilight during the crystal empire seeing as how the episode, instead of being framed as "the mane six must stop a villain" was framed as "Twilight must solve her test!", and the other five were more or less window dressing in that episode.

Coupled with how the other five were likewise shunted off in Canterlot wedding, I was rather tired of how things were going, with The finale just being the cherry on top--- Equestria girls almost made me give up on the show in general due to how it was BOTH a combination of being boring/bad and focusing on twilight accepting her new role rather than on the mane six growing like S1/ROH. And I don't mean that in a "I'm throwing a tamtrum and threatening to leave!" kind of way, I mean I literally had zero interest in the show after EQG and pretty much stopped watching due to disliking it. S4 picked up around the other 5 and I regained interest, but I still think Twilight's been spoiled for enjoyment a bit.

On that note, with the EOH gone, the other 5 feel more or less like tag alongs in adventure scenarios at the moment. I understand WHY they decided to get rid of the EOH (They were much like Exodia in yu gi oh, an instant win), but has introduced the alternative problem of the others own special items/claims to fame having been removed without twilight's being undercut.

Ironically, this has left the EQG universe feeling more "Equal" in importance seeing as how the human six maintain their magic inwardly (while simultaneously Twilight had no access to her alicorn/unicorn magic) so they all feel like they have the EOH still compared to it having been removed in the pony universe.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

And I don't mean that in a "I'm throwing a tamtrum and threatening to leave!" kind of way, I mean I literally had zero interest in the show after EQG

I'm sort of in the same boat. Twilight really has diminished my liking of the show, and it's sad because I think she could have been a much better character. I think this show's potential would skyrocket if it wasn't so focused on her.

(edited)

Twilight has received significantly more praise

No she has not. Everyone has received praised accordingly to their merits fairly more or less, however if she has gotten more attention while doing so it is because she is the main character that helps keep thong running.

Since now we're gradually teetering on the edge of Twilight being the only main/important character, while the other five are simply sidekicks.

Not even close especially since Season 4 and 5 have placed more focus on other characters more so than Twilight.

This is supported by how the mane five are rather unceremoniously left out of the Equestria Girls franchise while she is not, and how they and their Elements of Harmony are apparently not needed in the slightest to dispel evil.

Wrong. The other elements were present when defeating  Sunset Shimmer. Just not the artifacts themselves, but the concept of them is more than being as superficial as that. The point is their human counterparts also represented the elements as well.

The other five would also have been redundant in these Equestria Girls films as well as there was nothing they could have offered that their human counterparts could not. 

Also, Twilight's Kingdom proved that they can be reduced to helpless damsels if it means that Twilight gets to shine over them. 

Wrong again. Twilight's Kingdom again reinforced they were the keys to victory as Twilight was unable to break past the stale mate against Tirek, and it makes sense they would be captured as none of them are strong enough to fight off Discord, and Tirek would have utterly crushed them without being boosted by Rainbow Power

It was also her key episode so of course she was going to get a chance to shine, but at the end of the day things went back to normal.

Edited by UnknownFry
  • Brohoof 1

You know, i could make a long post about why i like her and all that other nonsense, but quite frankly these sort of threads are tiresome to me and will most likely be locked again anyway.

Instead, let me post this.

Cute, isn't it? :3

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Some people like her and some people don't but Twilight is a fine character who has come along way as far as a character development is concerned and she is still the same old Twilight before her ascension. She may be well rounded in many things, but she still has some major flaws that she could stand to work on as well especially after her ascension and her new found sense if purpose as the princess. Frankly I like her because of the fact that she works hard and is active in her efforts in to improve on herself, and that is commendable in of itself. She is also quite awkward still.

Edited by UnknownFry

Frankly I like her because of the fact that she works hard

I don't think Twilight works even half as hard as her friends, let alone AJ.

Twilight is a fine character who has come along way as far as a character development is concerned

I disagree. She's still a boring, overpowered, preachy mary sue. The only difference now is that she's even more of one.

Twilight may be the "Mary Sue" of the mane six, but the only reason why she knows so much and can over come most anything is because she reads so many books. I don't like her personally but why would the show exist without Twilight. In fact, if you go all the way back to the beginning this is Twilight's story on how she started to live at Ponyville and how she made so many friends. Because she was a student of Princess of Celestia she then became an alicorn because she "knows all" about friendship now.

Twilight may be the "Mary Sue" of the mane six, but the only reason why she knows so much and can over come most anything is because she reads so many books. I don't like her personally but why would the show exist without Twilight. In fact, if you go all the way back to the beginning this is Twilight's story on how she started to live at Ponyville and how she made so many friends. Because she was a student of Princess of Celestia she then became an alicorn because she "knows all" about friendship now.

I think the show could have easily had a different setup that doesn't involve Twilight being an overly gifted/privileged sue.