Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nothing is made-for-ponies!

colt_following

I know some of you might argue that Equestria is designed to be recognizable to us viewers (but try to think of this in terms of practicality in the MLP universe).

So has anyone noticed that the only thing that is truly designed specifically for pony-use are their two-key typewriters? NO other object we've seen thus far appears to be ergonomically designed for equines. They do everything with their mouths, for crying out loud! That's gotta be unsanitary.

Do you think there's an arguable explanation for this (inside the context of the show)? (Or do you write it off as having to be identifiable for a human audience)

• Brohoof 1

Applejack uses the lasso with her tail and sometimes they use their hooves for certain tasks. Earth ponies are actually known to have the best coordination around tools.

But yeah one would think they would have tools with mouth pieces or hoof slots for easy use. But you know, cartoon ponies for children what's more to say. :P

• Brohoof 2

some speculate that the ponies developed their world off of human influence, since they once existed among them. (how else would you explain the saddles even existing in their world?)

some speculate that the ponies developed their world off of human influence, since they once existed among them. (how else would you explain the saddles even existing in their world?)

mind = blown

:blink::o:wacko:

• Brohoof 1

They are basically using pony-fied versions of what we have in this world but it doesn't seem to bother them even when they are not always that ergonomic. Kid's shows....no one working on the show cares about little things like these I guess.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah. The way things are designed are meant to keep things a way that target audience can still relate to, so I am going to write it off as being an intentional creative decision and not so much in oversight within the context of the universe itself.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah it is surely a case of making it easier for the demographic to releate. The writers might (a big might) think about these issues, but I'm positive that they storyboard artists don't and neither does Meghan or the directors. Never forgot that the crew does not see the show as the fans do. We don't have an obsessive George Lucas like creator at the heart of the show either. Instead we have talented people doing a job as best they can. They just don't think of everything or every detail.

Edited by Nature's Spell

In some fanfics conspiracy theorists think that this is proof that Humans Once Walked Among Us.  (For some reason Lyra seems to be favored for "Who thinks like that?").  In these fics, the official Debunker Explanation is that "Unicorns did it.  Using their TK they can easily handle these tools.  They built them this way to handicap the other races."  (It is canon that they were enemies a long time ago).  The tools just persisted in their forms into the present because it's traditional & ponies are stubborn.

As with UFOs IRL, the government is supposed to be covering up the evidence.  Interestingly, (if you accept EQ Girls) Humans do exist, the government does know & is covering up the evidence.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe Equestrian pony physiology doesn't function in the way we expect. After all they can talk and hold objects with no effort.

A headcanon explanation that might work is that there are many other intelligent sapient species, like griffons, minotaurs, and centaurs that do possess hands and fingers and that they developed similar technology. Due to high levels of contact and trade, Equestrians simply integrated existing hand technology into their own technology. Unicorns with their telekinesis have less trouble using such devices. The other races may just have never bothered to adapt that technology to meet their own deficiencies.

Interestingly, (if you accept EQ Girls) Humans do exist, the government does know & is covering up the evidence.

I can't afford to NOT quote this one. It's pretty hilarious to me, really!

So I guess there are the two camps... one says they writers/artists choose them because they are relatable... but I love what the other thoughts are! I think its logical that ponies would simply trade and adopt the existing technologies. The theory that different equine races were one enemies is certainly interesting!

I personally would have to go with that humans are/were a thing at some point. I actually really believe that (if you've read and accept IDW comics AND EQG) Celestia could've entered some portal to the human world ages ago and brought the technology with her, as well. That's a possibility.