Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the deal with names in MLP?

Skye-42

Sorry, but I just had to ask somepony out there about this.

So what's the deal with the name's in MLP?

All the ponies are named after the talent they have obviously, but I wonder if the ponies actually know about this? 

Like you can damn your foal to eternal suffering if you name them, say, Cursed Luck, or you can bring them fortune by naming them something about money or joy.

So do parents chose the life the children will have? Does someone out else name them? Are they not named until they find their talent? (which is obviously not the case but you know, just throwing it out there)

Because I'm fairly sure ponies would have begun to notice a trend relating to names and cutiemarks. (And the CMC can chill and stop trying dangerous activities, because I'm slightly concerned for their safety.)

But then again, I could be overthinking this, but this has been bothering me ever since I began watching the show (even as a little five year old with braids in her hair watching G1). ¯\_()_/¯

(Also, just a spoiler, I haven't read the comic or seem season 3 upwards of the show, so if it's covered there, then opps, my bad.)

• Brohoof 2

In that case I think Troubleshoes must have had really bad abusive parents to have named him that. Some names are obvious but not all of them.

Pinkie Pie: Her talent is to make people laugh and throw parties. Her name though sounds like she would have a talent for baking pies.

Rarity: This name can go a number of ways. Her talent is a fashionista, being rare is not really a talent sooo....

Fluttershy: Sounds like a cursed name for her to be shy. But the name does not directly correlate with her talent of caring for animals.

• Brohoof 1

Rarity: This name can go a number of ways. Her talent is a fashionista, being rare is not really a talent sooo.... Fluttershy: Sounds like a cursed name for her to be shy. But the name does not directly correlate with her talent of caring for animals.

For Rarity, she can also find gems (plus she's a one-of-a-kind [ba-dum-tss]), and the original term for butterfly was flutterby (not really, just a commonly accepted myth). 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't want to be the fantasy killer, but this is just overthinking.

It has always bugged me that the names sometimes are the same as the cutie mark. The best examples are Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. Only the mane 6 and the side characters's names like Sweety Belle makes sense...and some rarely appearing character like Trixie cuz...if you prescind that Trixie came from tricks...ah nwm.

I prefer the names like Octavia or Vinyl Scratch which are names not an appellation after a cutie mark(yes, I know these are fan made names but still), or Gilda, which is not a fan made name.

Edited by Kerberossz
  • Brohoof 1

This is the biggest thing the creators of the show overlooked in my opinion because right now it is as if the parents of the foals decide what their cutie mark will be just by what they name them. However this is a kid's show at the end of the day and we should not worry about trivial things like these.

• Brohoof 2

seems like the name decides the cutiemark for most ponies

would be cool if some foal got named ~ choosen one or melon lord

• Brohoof 1

I think the most obvious name is Scootaloo.

scootaloo_and_her_scooter_by_qazwsx302-d

Not sure if riding a scooter is her talent but did this filly fly out of her mom in a scooter why did her parents name her that?

• Brohoof 4

Not sure if riding a scooter is her talent but did this filly fly out of her mom in a scooter why did her parents name her that?

I laughed more than I should have :D 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Though I think names like Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara are lazy, names like Applejack and Rainbow Dash are based on appearance/heritage. Pinkie Pie, as mentioned before, was a pink foal, therefore she was named Pinkie Pie, the Pie part being a family name.

Names like Trouble Shoes don't necessarily have to do with their cutie mark; they just happen to fit well in our minds. It could be a pony who has bad luck, or it could be a mischievous cobbler. Or an axe murderer. There's a lot of options! 

I'm sure the writers got tired at certain points and just named ponies after their cutie marks, but I'm glad they did. How boring would it be if MLP had human names, like Margaret or Anna? Or if a pony with a name like Rotten Luck became a cardiac surgeon?  :P

Edited by 221BTardisSt
  • Brohoof 1