gaming The Nicest Gamestop Employee I Ever Met Got Fired

Tom Snyder

Regardless of what his intentions were he is doing far more harm than good. Especially considering a video game is not a necessity. He's not exactly feeding the homeless here.

The manager is not a prick for firing him. He's doing his job. He's setting an example. It's not okay to steal from the store, for any reason. Good will is pointless if it's contributing to the destruction of someone else's livelihood.

• Brohoof 6

He gave away a used game (rather inexpensive product), and in doing so, made the sale of a brand new Xbox 360 (a significantly more expensive product).

Sounds like a net gain to me...

Ok, so this topic wasn't about how is was wrong to fire that guy then? 

You got the wrong idea, Yamet. I never said it wasn't wrong to do so, i only said he was kind enough to do it. I'm not justifying his actions. Just saying i'm not surprised he did it, considering how many offenses Gamestop has made in comparison. What my friend did was minor compared to the exploitation of the game store itself.

(edited)
I never said it wasn't wrong to do so, i only said he was kind enough to do it. I'm not justifying his actions.

But you called his manager a "prick" for firing him.

That suggested that you thought your friend's actions were right.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

But you called his manager a "prick" for firing him.

That suggested that you thought your friend's actions were right.

I did call him that, but never implied it was right, just that him getting fired over a small insignificant item was a bit overboard. He never would do for anyone else again, he even said it. A dock in pay would have been sufficient enough a punishment, since it was his first mistake. You can't judge someone based on just one action.

Edited by Candy Star

Hes fired, he stole, the manager was right, enough said. I seriously don't see how this can be anymore discussed

:mustache: :mustache:

• Brohoof 1

I did call him that, but never implied it was right, just that him getting fired over a small insignificant item was a bit overboard. He never would do for anyone else again, he even said it. A dock in pay would have been sufficient enough a punishment, since it was his first mistake. You can't judge someone based on just one action.

How is the manager supposed to take the word of someone who considers himself above both law and company policy to give things away for the sake of doing something nice? As far as the manager is concerned that is dangerous behavior that could be exploited at any given opportunity.

Suddenly I am glad I only buy games from steam.

Sad to hear about this employee. Unless he has a history of breaking rules, I do not get why the boss fired him because that seems a little too extreme.

(edited)

Suddenly I am glad I only buy games from steam.

Sad to hear about this employee. Unless he has a history of breaking rules, I do not get why the boss fired him because that seems a little too extreme.

He never had a history of it, that's the thing. People tend to get bent out of shape when they lose just 1 thing. its not like he was robbing them of it. Its not that big of a thing, he didn't steal a whole stores worth of product, the 200 i payed him for the console was well worth it for that game. 

You can't treat everyone like a criminal just because they did it only once, he wasn't the kind to do this again and again. It was sympathy, plain and simple.

Edited by Candy Star
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

How is the manager supposed to take the word of someone who considers himself above both law and company policy to give things away for the sake of doing something nice? As far as the manager is concerned that is dangerous behavior that could be exploited at any given opportunity.

Precisely. I used to be a teller at a credit union. If an upset member walked in, and I decided to help them by slipping them a $20 from my cash drawer, I would be IMMEDIATELY fired for stealing assets from the credit union. I made someone happy and the credit union can probably get it back, but that doesn't make me NOT a thief.

Edited by ShadOBabe

Precisely. I used to be a teller at a credit union. If an upset member walked in, and I decided to help them by slipping them a $20 from my cash drawer, I would be IMMEDIATELY fired for stealing assets from the credit union. I made someone happy and the credit union can probably get it back, but that doesn't make me NOT a thief.

Well its not that way for every store, people get fired for doing what they thought was right. But sometimes its not the best decision, and good people don't always end up doing well.

What i'm saying is, your boss can be a total prick, but you can always find someone who will help you despite the trouble they might get into in the process. So its not about him doing the wrong thing, its about him helping me with a problem with a system they sold to me. Nobody told me it was refurbished and had an issue, basically i was owed that game in the first place.

While the OP's story is a great example of how kind some people can be, there's some ways that the firing could have been avoided(maybe). For example, he could have sold it to you at a discount. Then, it's technically not stealing. Also, businesses usually have practices that value money over customer loyalty. Of course, friendly behavior towards customers is usually encouraged, such as saying "thank you". Maybe at a different kind of store someone could get away with a random act of kindness, but honestly, the guy knew the risks of his action and suffered the consequences. End of story.

You can't treat everyone like a criminal just because they did it only once, he wasn't the kind to do this again and again. It was sympathy, plain and simple.

Technically he's a criminal. He stole something. And he should be treated like all other criminals.

You got the wrong idea, Yamet. I never said it wasn't wrong to do so, i only said he was kind enough to do it. I'm not justifying his actions.

Yes you are. This entire thread is doing just that. Heck you even did it in this post.

"It seems your game is toast." that ticked me off more than you can imagine. I payed $60 for it, and now its useless. But i wasn't expecting what he did next.

most the time if the game doesnt work, they will either give store credit or replace the game....i hang out at gamestop to much *crawls to fort made of pillows, curls up, and cries*

"It seems your game is toast." that ticked me off more than you can imagine. I payed $60 for it, and now its useless. But i wasn't expecting what he did next.

most the time if the game doesnt work, they will either give store credit or replace the game....i hang out at gamestop to much *crawls to fort made of pillows, curls up, and cries*

Warranty expired, did you miss that point?

Alright lets all agree to disagree, okay? drop it.

woah there, slow yer roll. wasnt being rude to you, so no need fer the snarkyness KBAI

mlp-poops.png Sorry. Didn't mean to do that, i'm just really annoyed right now. Didn't mean to take it out ya.

He knew what he was risking. He probably was planning on quitting or getting a new job nonetheless. I wouldn't worry about it. But be grateful to him. We need more nice people like him in this world.

• Brohoof 1

@Candy Star   I know you received the complete polar opposite of what you may have been expecting and this would have made ANYONE upset.   The IDEA that someone did this "act of kindness" and was punished for it I see is what you may have been trying to discuss, but in the end IRL  it was stealing.    Excuse the language as I too understand any further comments past the first or second page of this thread is quite literally beating a dead horse, or as my father used to say (in Spanish, but I will directly translate it to English since it sounds just as funny),  "The POOP has been cleaned up but the flies will likely return to its old spot."   In the end, a videogame is just a material thing.  (Unfortunately for the business they DID pay money for USED games).

Hope you do not get further upset by people continuously voicing their opinions on a thread that YOU created.   Just because the thread is not receiving the kind of original attention you had desired does not mean you should let responses from people get to you.  Just take a deep breath and relax and realize that we are all here for each other.    We all know somebody that did something questionable in their past,  regardless if they redeem themselves in the end or not, it doesn't necessarily mean anyone is 100% a bad person.    Hope the game brings you more happiness :)   thanks for sharing your story! 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm not annoyed by the comments, i'm just under stress right now. So i may not answer as nicely as i usually do, and sorry if i wasn't myself.

Edited by Candy Star

Um to be honest they really only had to take it out of his pay. Firing was overboard. The reason I still shop at gamestop is because the manager gave me a game half price years ago. There had been a power outage and a lot of people got angry and left. Everyone who waited got whatever game they were checking out for half price as an apology and thanks. If that hadn't happened I probably would of quit buying there by now.

I'm not annoyed by the comments, i'm just under stress right now. So i may not answer as nicely as i usually do, and sorry if i wasn't myself.

Out of curiosity what were you expecting when making this post? I mean, obviously people were going to disagree and they have, you seem really defensive every time someone is making a counter opinion here and as one of the previous posters said it is totally flogging a dead horse, im trying to actually not come back too this topic but every time theres a post im curious too see why.

My point is as I keep saying this topic is absolutely not going anywhere and just causing arguments, people will have different opinions too yours, deal with it. This is the real world, a world where people get fired for breaking company rules and taking things which are not theres there are no ifs, there are no buts, it doesn't matter if he gave $60 from gamestop too a starving child in africa, it is still not his money too take, he did not give you his own money there for he was not trying to help you out of his own pocket now stop please being so snappy and rude too people who are just saying what they think then acting like the victim just because you dont like their posts.

• Brohoof 1