Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I want to voice act but...

Wahya

(edited)

I wouldnt even know how to practice, I try copying some voices and that turns for the worst quickly... Plus YouTube hasn't helped much

Edited by Wahya

I want to voice act but I cant really change my voice up much... any tips or tricks?

voice acting isn't all about mimicking other characters voices... of anything you should practice with accents...

but if mimicking other voices is your thing... the best way to learn how to speak like them is by listening to their voices over and over.... then recite their lines a few times... then try to recite their lines the best you can in their voice....

voice acting isn't all about mimicking other characters voices... of anything you should practice with accents...

but if mimicking other voices is your thing... the best way to learn how to speak like them is by listening to their voices over and over.... then recite their lines a few times... then try to recite their lines the best you can in their voice....

I have been trying a bunch of different things and voices. I work with puppets at my church and need to do voices for them but I don't feel like it's good at all

• Brohoof 1

I have been trying a bunch of different things and voices. I work with puppets at my church and need to do voices for them but I don't feel like it's good at all

if that's what your trying to do... then its simple... just be creative... if your doing a puppet show people find it more amusing if you sound bad at voicing the puppet then good

unless humor isn't what your going for

(edited)

I've been voice acting as a hobby since I was 12, now I'm 20. I could possibly give you some advice.

I have to ask first though, what kind of voice are you trying to reach? Do you want to widen your range, or do you just want to learn how to mimic character's voices? That in itself, is a very good way to practice by. Go on YouTube, play a clip of your favorite character in any show and try to copy and sound like that person or character, practice until you get it right. That's one way to do it.

Either way, the most important thing with voice acting is not the particular voices, it's the feelings you put into your voice. You're not supposed to sound like you're reading right off from a script, you're supposed to sound like you ARE the character. Get to know your character, how does he feel now? How should I sound to make it trust worthy that I AM this character?? If they're sad in one scene, think about sad things 'til you cry, and then you go for it. If your character is angry, think about something you hate to make you angry for real, then act it out in your character. It's sort of like role playing with your voice, if you have ever done that before? Role playing, acting, but with ONLY your voice as your tool. It's not always easy to get the right feelings into a character, but with some understanding to who the character you're playing IS, you will be able to do it good.

Do you have any questions? Ask away.

And make sure to warm up your voice before getting to the real act. Drink a lot of water and warm liquids to keep your voice clean and going.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 2

I've been voice acting as a hobby since I was 12, now I'm 20. I could possibly give you some advice.

I have to ask first though, what kind of voice are you trying to reach? Do you want to widen your range, or do you just want to learn how to mimic character's voices? That in itself, is a very good way to practice by. Go to YouTube, play a clip and try to copy and sound like that person or character, practice until you get it right. That's one way to do it.

Either way, the most important thing with voice acting is not the particular voices, it's the feelings your put into your voice. You're not supposed to sound like you're reading right off from a script, you're supposed to sound like you ARE the character. Get to know your character, how does he feel now? How should I sound to make it trust worthy that I AM this character?? It's sort of like role playing with your voice, if you have ever done that before? Role playing, acting, but with ONLY your voice as your tool.

Do you have any questions? Ask away.

And make sure to warm up your voice before getting to the real act. Drink a lot of water and warm liquids to keep your voice clean and going.

I have to implement feelings and emotions in my voice when I work with the buppet program. Mostly I want to widen my range, I figure if I do that then I can go on to mimicing

I have to implement feelings and emotions in my voice when I work with the buppet program. Mostly I want to widen my range, I figure if I do that then I can go on to mimicing

Surely! What kind of voice do you have? Deep, light, medium? Could I hear something of yours? Or are you aware of what kind of range you've got? 

Surely! What kind of voice do you have? Deep, light, medium? Could I hear something of yours? Or are you aware of what kind of range you've got? 

I am not sure, I want to say medium. I know my singing voice is an alto if that helps. I could always talk to you on skype if it helps

I am not sure, I want to say medium. I know my singing voice is an alto if that helps. I could always talk to you on skype if it helps

Alrighty! Well, if you have a medium voice, then you can more easily learn how to do an either higher or lower voice range, it's all up to practice. I usually don't have time for Skype, but I'd love to listen to a recording if you make one.

I can do a pretty good range with my voices, but my problem is not being able to find VA work. I don't know how to actually become a VA even though I have the aspiration and decent skills for it -_-