Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is MLP overrated?

Grumpy Enchantress

I think so. It's alright, but lots of people talk about it as the best thing ever when it's barely alright. I can't even watch it anymore, it's too boring and not well made. The jokes aren't funny, the writing isn't well done, the characters are cardboard cutouts, the plots are cliche and lame, and the animation isn't even very good. All in all, I now think the show is overrated.

What do you guys think?

• Brohoof 2

Just because the show doesn't appeal to you anymore doesn't make the show  overrated in my opinion. I enjoy the show very much and I wait the new episodes and they are happy to watch =)=)=)=)=)=)=) 

The characters are very well made and the show is too latest episode was a real jewel I think  =)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=) YAY

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

5911026996_ec2f3e890f_z.jpg

Well the show isn't perfect but I can definitely say it's on par with all the shows I grew up with like Dexter's Laboratory, Ed Edd n Eddy, Samurai Jack, The Powerpuff Girls and Courage the Cowardly Dog etc. Though I DO wish it had more episodes like the season 4 finale.

Edited by Asbel Lhant
  • Brohoof 4

tumblr_nc088uvdga1tgkjz9o1_1280.jpg

It's still better then most kids shows these days. Do you know what kind of garbage runs on tv?

• Brohoof 6

I'd say it's praise is well deserved. Do I think there are better shows? Yes, but that's really down to personal preference, and not every show is perfect. 

In the end, it really does just sound like you just got disinterested in it

• Brohoof 3

It is both overrated and underrated at the same time. It is overrated because a lot of bronies will dissmiss the faults that are in the show or in certain episodes no matter how glaringly obvious such as out of character moments, inconsistencies ect... There are some other ones that are overly critical but I think there are more that overlook things than are actually overly critical. It is underrated because a lot of people don't take the show seriously or give it a chance because it is a "girls show".

• Brohoof 5

5911026996_ec2f3e890f_z.jpg

Well the show isn't perfect but I can definitely say it's on par with all the shows I grew up with like Dexter's Laboratory, Ed Edd n Eddy, Samurai Jack, The Powerpuff Girls and Courage the Cowardly Dog etc. Though I DO wish it had more episodes like the season 4 finale.

I personally disagree. I consider most of the "jokes" in MLP so cringeworthy. All those other shows you mentioned are still entertaining today.

tumblr_nc088uvdga1tgkjz9o1_1280.jpg

It's still better then most kids shows these days. Do you know what kind of garbage runs on tv?

I personally think MLP is about the same quality as something like Breadwinners, maybe slightly worse.

• Brohoof 1

I still like it. I admit the last couple episodes haven't been great for me, but I still like FiM. I hardly think it's overrated when even more people rally behind far worse things. Come to think of it, we haven't had anything as dumb as Honey Boo Boo or Jersey Shore for quite a while. We're certainly overdue for some overrated tripe to pop up.

I'm not entirely sure how FiM compares to what kids these days normally watch, but I've caught glimpses of frightening CG remakes of older shows that probably should have continued to be animated, and I never did get into these dumb live action high school dramas with juvenile humour that seem to have really taken off in popularity in the last decade or so. To be fair though, I don't watch a lot of TV period, so I'm in no position to infer about how FiM compares to the average TV show. I am on another anime kick mind you, though I was on a hiatus from that for a good year and a half after becoming a Brony.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I can understand why it could be seen overrated, but I don't think it's changed all that much. If you don't like it now I don't really see why you ever liked it in the first place.

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 2

I think I know how you're feeling after the end of Season 2. I can still go back and re-watch Season 1 and 2 shows. They're still alright. Season 3 and above are only watchable once but that's it, I would attest that it's still better than other cartoon shows but it's not spectacular like it used to been.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's my favorite show of all time, so...

It's not perfect. Nothing is, but I enjoy it a lot. If you personally think it's not as good or as suited to your personal tastes that's fine, but I think it's great for being what it is. It's a matter of personal taste. Overrated to some, underrated to others, or neither.

I personally think MLP is about the same quality as something like Breadwinners, maybe slightly worse.

This though? No...Just...No. If you think that fine, but that's honestly the closest to an objectively wrong opinion I've ever seen on this site. At the very least MLP doesn't have an episode that implies rape on the "Good guy's" part. Even if you think the show's writing, animation, music aren't any better, at least this show has some morals.

Edited by BaysemeantPoneigh
  • Brohoof 1

Now that I look at it with a critical mind,it's definitely overrated. It's really on the same level of Johnny Test. 

Being that it's just okay. Not good,not bad. It's just okay.

• Brohoof 1

This though? No...Just...No. If you think that fine, but that's honestly the closest to an objectively wrong opinion I've ever seen on this site. At the very least MLP doesn't have an episode that implies rape on the "Good guy's" part. Even if you think the show's writing, animation, music aren't any better, at least this show has some morals.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but I can tell you now that Breadwinners almost definitely did not even imply that at all. You're almost definitely misinterpreting whatever the completely harmless scene was.

But having good morals isn't what makes a show good anyway.

The jokes aren't funny, the writing isn't well done, the characters are cardboard cutouts, the plots are cliche and lame, and the animation isn't even very good.

Wow. I don't believe I've ever seen such a string of false statements. :blink:  

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Wow. I don't believe I've ever seen such a string of false statements. :blink:  

Haven't we been over this in the Twilight Sparkle thread I made a while ago? Your opinions are not objective facts. But with that said, everything I listed I'm 100% serious about and can back up.

It's a hell of alot better than any of the new shows on Cartoon Network that's for sure.

Regular Show, Adventure Time, The Amazing World of Gumball, and Teen Titans Go is a thousand times better than MLP, in my opinion.

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

(edited)

I that think the show has its ups and downs, but it has an amazing ability to connect with its fans. It is a vessel that can hold a fans imagination and give it room to grow. For example, I really relate to the newest episode Amending Fences. At different times I've been Twilight (pushing people away) and Moondancer (being pushed away). That's why the show is so loved because it's a mirror. Quality has little to do with something being beloved.

Edited by Nature's Spell

I think so. It's alright, but lots of people talk about it as the best thing ever when it's barely alright. I can't even watch it anymore, 1. it's too boring and not well made. 2. The jokes aren't funny, 3. the writing isn't well done, 4. the characters are cardboard cutouts,5. the plots are cliche and lame, 6. and the animation isn't even very good. All in all, I now think the show is overrated.

What do you guys think?

I added some numbering here.

1. Because?

2. Because...?

3. Be-cause??

4. Be....cause?

5. Beecuz?

6. B-CKUS?

Nothing here is really explained at all. It sounds a lot less like 'the show is overrated' and more like 'this show is horrible and it sucks'.

As for your question, no, I do not think it is overrated, in fact I think it is one of the better cartoons out there, but that's my personal opinion on that. The morals are great, the animation is bright, colorful, and well done, the characters are vibrant and likeable and varied, the music is fantastic, the references sprinkled all throughout the show are an awesome touch, the atmosphere of the show is incredibly positive without being dumbed down, I can go on and on.

• Brohoof 6