Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

@@Randimaxis,

"I'll have a look at the inventory tonight and send a report if anything's low like usual. I don't think there's anything, and what have been used are in the report, but better to be triply sure."

Ziggy livened up more and smiled as she spoke, seemingly getting more herself than the slightly nervous one that tried her best to be completely professional. Not enough to start dancing on the table or something, but as she rose up and had the brief thought about flying out on the balcony and jump off whilst saying *Weeeee!* she felt much more herself that was for sure, and it'd show on her being... Well, more relaxed wasn't right. More perky was likely more fitting.

It certainly didn't hurt that Luther complimented her like he did instead of the scolding she had eared whilst getting up to the manor before. Not that she thought he was incapable of doing that or anything, but it wasn't something she had heard were widespread, and hearing it now was like... Like finding a piece of candy when you thought you had gone through the whole bag and had the cravings for something. A rare, munchy treasure that hit just the spot.

Awh, now she wanted candy...

The thought made her space out for a second or two before she shook her head and walked towards the exit again, turning to look at Luther one more time that had gone back to starring down the quarry in complete silence in a way that reminded her a little of a superhero looming over the city, minus the funny looking outfit - *giggle* Luther with a cape - and saying a last thing before she'd leave him to... Whatever he were thinking about when he were alone. Mining stuff likely. Or cats. Everything became better with cats.

"Guess I better get going, and Mr. Blackwater? ...Take care, okay? You'll see, everything will be better tomorrow."

She  had considered thanking him for making sure she were here to help in the first place, but that just seemed like such a Redd Handid thing to say, and she really didn't think her getting a brown nose would fit well with her colours.

Besides, she were more concerned about his health as it were. Not the physical one, as she were sure he had doctors who knew things she wouldn't even have heard about, much less be prepared for, but more the mental one after what happened today. Far as she knew, he stood with the decisions alone on how to handle things like this, and that was a lot to have weighing you down on top of everyday workings too. Might be that he just had the strength to carry all of that, and in fact she were pretty sure of that, but she were a doctor, and worrying about those around her were pretty much second nature.

As she got outside of the office and closed the door behind her though she let out a long, drawn out sigh and tried to make her own worries flow out with the breath. There wasn't a point in worrying about Mr. Blackwater right now. He were strong of mind, and if he needed help he could likely get the best there were.

Her mind eased rapidly and soon, she'd spent a few seconds stepping forward in a small dance with a big grin going on her face over how the meeting had otherwise gone before getting a more normal walk going. There was a lot less *I'm getting fired* over everything than she had thought, and that was something to be happy about, as well as the aforementioned praise. That'd make anypony get a little jump in their step.

That being out of the picture, what to do now? Should she go straight back to the office, or should she go looking for Dax? Long as she didn't open any doors, she should be fine, right? And if anypony asked, she could just say that she were looking for Call and/or Becks.

Yeah, she should probably do that. No knocking on or openings doors though, and she'd have to keep it to roughly the path that she had been led in here, although, uhm... She had sort of forgot what way that were. Mrs. Blackwater had talked a lot and things had gone a little blurry path wise, so...

Huh, guess she really did have to find either one of the butler ponies or Dax regardless then, or she wasn't gonna get out of here. Whelp, guess she better pick a direction and see whoever she'd meet first.

Let's see... Left looked sort of promising, better start there.

• Brohoof 2

@Mentis Soliloquy

Taps grinned as Scarlet mentioned her wheels, and did a few circles around the earth pony to show her affinity for the skates.  She really was graceful in them... maybe THAT was the reason Taps didn't seem to rely on her wings as much; perhaps she simply preferred skating over flying?

The S.M.I.L.E. comment, however, brought an unexplainable snort of derision from the blue mare... but if Scar looked at her sideways for it, she simply shrugged and grinned again.  Curious.

Mentioning Brick, Taps smiled and nodded.  When she spoke of why she didn't understand the ex-cook's enjoyment of her soup, Taps simply rolled her eyes and grinned; she had enjoyed the soup too, but far be it for her to try to tell Scarlet anything other then that.  Then again, Taps would have to speak to tell her that...

Upon reaching the manor's classy front doors, Taps nodded in response to Scarlet's question, then reached out and knocked, herself.  In moments, the door opened, and a random butler poked his head out, stared at Taps like she was whistling loudly during a wedding, then turned a kinder gaze towards the fellow earth pony.

"The Master is expecting you, Miss Scarlet; this way, please."

As he turned to go back inside and lead her to Luther's office, Taps gave her a wink, then followed right behind the butler, the rolling of her wheels on the marble-tiled floor making a soft, yet somewhat gritty sound.  Apparently, the mailmare was bound to follow her here, too.

Interesting.

@Blitz Boom

The left corridor led down a long hallway, festooned with paintings, tapestries and other rich nic-nacs.  There was such a difference in the way the manor was decorated as opposed to how Luther Blackwater's office had been.  Chances were good that Vylia was the one responsible for the majority of the glitzy and glamorous stuff that was on display here - Luther was far more practical, more subdued.  Though both styles had class to them, Luther's was a quiet dignity, while Vylia's was a display.

It's funny how opposites can attract each other.

During the long walk, Ziggy noticed something: one of the paintings was damaged.  It looked as though it had been quite a handsome portrait at one time... however, there was a large slash through it, and the loose flap of canvas that resulted fell forward and hung over the face of the central subject pictured there.  Next to the subject stood a VERY dour-faced mare, and they both were surrounded by three young colts... and only one of which was smiling.  He looked a LOT like Dax, but his coat colors were a perfect match for Luther's.

Could that grinning young colt actually have once been the serious and stone-faced boss she'd been speaking to mere moments ago?  It seemed surreal that such a sweet-looking, innocent little colt could possibly grow up to be so-

Then the crying reached her ears.  Someone here was crying... and they sounded young.  In such a hall of extravagance as the Blackwater Manor was, who could possibly be crying in such a place?

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,

Okay... She were totally lost, that was sure.

Whatever she recalled of the way here, it had not really looked like this place, even without the ripped picture. It was very extravagant and posh looking, and she could almost swear that she had seen a more simple style going towards the office. Then again, it were also possible that she had mixed it up with another part like the entrance, so really, who would know? Although the ripped picture was a new thing, that was sure. What sort of image was on it though? Guess a teensy little look couldn't hurt.

A family portrait seemed to be the answer to the question, although it took a while for her to be able to recognise anypony in the picture. it kept going around, landing time and time again on this smiling colt for some reason until at about the seventh time when the hamster finally started to run in her head and she realised why she had gotten back to this one: Because it was Luther Blackwater.

He looked really different from the poker-faced boss he was today, and at a glance it looked like the spitting image of a younger Dax, but the colours were matching up with his dad and not him, even if everything else really screamed that no way it could be her boss.

What happened to him to get him from that and to who he was today? Had it something to do with the mare? Had she been on his case and moulded him into who he was so the family would have a more suitable heir? It wasn't a nice thought, but wasn't it possible that was the ca-

Longer the line of thought didn't get before the sound of somepony crying wafted through the air and hit her ears. She hadn't the faintest clue about who it were, but anypony crying would get her attention as they might be hurt and she wanted to help, and even if they weren't and just felt down she was the sort who'd want to make them smile again. But where did the crying come from?

Sounded like... Yes, over there!

Without a second thought, Ziggy would walk towards the place she had heard the crying, approaching whoever it were quietly and in a calm speed as the ones who tended to cry didn't always get better from being tackle-hugged. Besides, she wouldn't get a good angle to do it in here without smacking some things on the floor by accident, and that wasn't going to help.

• Brohoof 2

She looked into Crescent's blue eyes with her amber ones. "I'm NOT saying 'no'... I'm saying 'take it slow', okay?"
The bat pony smiled like a water melon as he hugged her close with his wings.

"you couldn't have said it better Silver" a nuzzle followed then he backed up a bit his wings still around her soldiers

"I do admit id love to get to know you better and im glad you want to take things slow, but again I am kind of...well. Its been a while sense I also had a special sompony.....me and her were also close but it was a lot that happened.....that...." he paused memory's were trickling in like a small stream again. He blinked away focusing on what was going on and not the past he was still being bitten by, who was he to judge after all?

"I think ive gotten better sense then....and I am ready for a mare again. you've been keeping a good hoof running things and helping the mine and me out in terms of gear and such" he kissed her cheek but then moved back remembering what she said about going slow.

"ill try my best to take things slow for us if I don't just tell me I swear ill make up for it, and it makes sense especially with the flood and all this mess happing so...I guess what I'm trying to say.....well what I mean to say...." a blush rose as he prodded the ground a bit.

he looked down at the floor looking for the right words then looked in her amber eyes he kept getting lost in

"Yes, and I'll try my best and don't be afraid if I do something you don't like. Being straight up with me like this solves a lot of problems....most mares are too scared of...well bats and all...but I'm glad your not" he said with a smile unsure if he should go for another kiss or not.....

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

Blackwater Manor- Main hall/Luther's Office (< hey look this changed :P)

Scarlet followed the butler as they walked inside the manor. She looked down to notice the noise her hooves were making as she walked, marble? Somepony wants to show off their wealth. Certainly made a noise as they walked, apart from miss rollerblades.

She'd notice the way Taps acted to her telling various things, to sum up taps in a few words would be playful, or childish. But that was certainly hiding somthing deeper what, she hadn't a clue. All she knew was that everyone either tolrated her or loved her immensely, a rather difficult thing to achieve... everyone liking you to a degree. Scarlet wasn't sure about if she liked or tolerated her yet, but she certainly was in her debt.

This also led to the question of why Taps was still here? Who in their right mind would actually want to actually see Luther by choice? "Taps why are you still here?" She enquired, genuinely confused to a degree.

She continued to look around as they went to Luther's Office upstairs. The manor was a splendid display of wealth and elegance, everything was well maintained and very clean, a shining example of how splendid these old homes could look. The trio stopping at the door to said room. She was nervous, no doubt about it but all she had to do was keep her cool and stick to her lies.

• Brohoof 2

@Blitz Boom

Sitting in the middle of the hallway was the Blackwater colt, Oglevy.

At a glance: His muzzle was thick with tears.  He looked positively devastated.  Laying on the floor next to him were several Wonderbolts figures, as well as a small metal grating.  On the wall where Oglevy's eyes were locked was a square hole that was seemingly blowing air; the colt's mane rippled in its' wake.  

As she watched, he leaned forward, craning his neck down into the hole... then his little muzzle screwed into a heartrending sight and he began to bawl again.  He seemed as if he hadn't noticed Ziggy yet... he looked a right mess.

@cwhip9

Silver breathed a sigh of relief.

"Oh... oh, I was SO worried you'd be upset!  Thank you, Crescent - I just... well, I haven't..."  She blushed prettily.  "I-I-I've really only had one Special Somepony before... but... I don't know?  Maybe..."

She was adorable when she was flustered like this.

"... maybe you're right.  Maybe I should... just..."

It was obvious by the look in her eyes that she still held feelings for another stallion, but Crescent certainly had her attention, romantically.  She leaned up close and gave him a quick peck on the cheek, to which her pinkish blush became a bright red one.

"So, uh..."  She kicked at some dirt for a second, then looked up at him.  "So... what was your other marefriend like - if you don't mind me asking, that is?  Why isn't she with you now?  What happened?"

@Mentis Soliloquy

Taps gave Scarlet a smile, then reached back and patted her well-worn satchel across her flank; apparently, she had mail to deliver.  It would make sense, as she WAS the resident mailmare... though, again, there was something about Taps...

Upon reaching the large, solid oak door, the butler turned to her.  "Through here, Miss."  He then knocked; three quick raps of the hoof that echoed throughout the extravagant hallway.

"Enter."

That minimal greeting was a bit intimidating... but what was the worst that could happen?

Taps looked at Scar, then made a sweeping gesture towards the door, as if to say, after you...

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

Blackwater Manor- Luther's Office

She looked at the satchel and nearly wanted to bash her face against a wall, how'd she not seen her mail bag!? She merely shook her head at the response. "Right your still working that makes sense."

She looked at the doors before she entered they could be summed up in a single word; bloody impressive, ok that's two words. But nevertheless they were exquisitely carved oak doors, single peices at that too, the size of the tree would of been jaw dropping. Works of art in their own right let alone what else was the rest of the house.

After the butlers knock was that answer...

"Enter."

That one word was enough to actually make her gulp, she'd not done that before that was new...? She did not like the idea of it at all, she regained her composer milliseconds later. But for a instant, in a single word Luther's voice alone had taken her off guard.

She pushed the door to enter the room. Like the rest of his home his study, office? Was quite stunning a pleasure to actually be in and look at. She continued to admire his office as she walked up to her boss's desk. She didn't look back so was unsure of what Taps was doing or where she was, she didn't hear anything possibly due to her focus being on Luther.

• Brohoof 2

"So, uh..." She kicked at some dirt for a second, then looked up at him. "So... what was your other marefriend like - if you don't mind me asking, that is? Why isn't she with you now? What happened?"

It was is turn to blush it matched his main this time getting the kiss then when presented with the question even tho his blood froze at it he tried to keep a straight face. If he was to purse this she would have to find out....but this soon?......no no it would scare her off....what could he say?

"well how we split things...started out well" he sat down in front of her thinking how to tell her without telling her and not showing it....sadly cresent wasn't the best at bluffing in poker when it came to his crush no matter who it was near by him.  

The bat pony took a deep breath then exhaled "Its hard to say really love, it started out me helping her as she was going through a ruff change in life style, we bonded from their but as time went on we found more things out about each other then we needed and help thru it" his voice seemed chipper going down memory lane but small droplets were seen forming in his eyes, his voice was slowly growing from chipper to sullen like he was holding back something.

"then a accident happened....kind of violently...." He shook his head trying not to ball it was clear it felt fresh for him.

Lies don't get you anywhere cresent

"she couldn't recover and well...." he looked away from his crush not wanting her to see his tears. He then breathed out shaking his head looking at her now.

"she's in a better place now, and she'll want me to move on...its been a couple of years sense then so I believe we can make this work, you haven't slapped me yet so I think I'm still good" he said with a smile.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,

"Oglevy? What's wrong sweetie?"

Her heart felt like it was bleeding when she saw the poor colt crying in front of her. He might not have the best reputation in the quarry, and yeah, theone time she had met him he had an attitude, but she wasn't looking at Oglevy the brat right now in any way, shape or form. She were looking at Oglevy the colt, and something had made him heartbroken.

Considering the hole in the wall she guessed that... Okay, she wasn't sure, but considering how he looked into it again before she started to talk to him with her most comforting voice - not condescending though - it were likely that something had been there before that was now gone. If you included the figurines... A safe perhaps? Had somepony taken a safe directly out of the wall with his belongings in? Who'd do such a horrible thing?

She hadn't any idea, and she didn't care for it that much right now anyway. These thoughts were in the background of her mind, overshadowed by her emotional self that wanted to help the poor foal in front of her, which were why she walked slowly closer to him, her head held lower to the ground so she could look at him without the poor little colt needing to fly up towards her, unless he felt like he needed it.

What she were going to do she wasn't sure, but she had some knowledge on how to comfort a crying foal. Back in the hospital she grew up in, there were sometimes those on the foal ward that needed somepony to be there for them, and from the years of being in that ward herself, she knew that company and a shoulder to cry on wasn't always enough. Sometimes, they needed more help than that, but to make the connection to others in that state wasn't always easy. Often, they needed sompony else to reach out to them first, and offer that caring hoof out to show them you were there for them.

Granted, sometimes they got angry, but that was the thing with emotional states: It was never easy, and often times, you'd find that the anger they let at you were just steam they needed to get out of their system. You weren't supposed to take it to heart, not if you cared, and she always cared for others. Be it her family, her friends, a random stranger, or as now, a sad colt that had something weighing his heart.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Mentis Soliloquy

If the mansion had been brashly opulent, then Luther's office was the eye of the storm;  very subdued, very function-over-form, very utilitarian.  Though it was well-decorated (except for the Celadon Urn with the one little flower in it by the balcony), everything in this office had a purpose - nothing frivolous here.

Once the door was open, Taps trotted lightly inside as if she was welcome wherever she pleased, and made her way to Luther's desk.  Sitting there was the stallion himself; he almost appeared to dwarf the desk, even though it was rather large itself.  He was apparently going over some paperwork; he looked up at Taps, and those indigo eyes of his were dark, critical and menacing.  However, his words were simple and few.

"Mail?"  

Taps nodded, then whipped around to her satchel, brought out two envelopes and a scroll, laid them on the desk and saluted him.  He looked at the letters, blinked once, then simply said,  "Good.  Thank you."

Taps bowed before him, then turned to go.  As she passed Scarlet, she gave her a mischievous wink.  Then, just like that, she left and closed the door behind her, which shut with an ominous thump.  Luther glanced at the letters againd, sighed, then turned his eyes on Scarlet. 

For a moment, nothing.  Then...

"Scarlet Orange.  New cook.  Very well."

He stood up from the desk - and he was MUCH bigger than he'd appeared to be!  He was almost a hulk of a stallion, muscle rippling in his hindlegs as he made his way around the desk to walk over to her.  He stopped short about three feet away - and his shadow covered her completely.  The look on his face was a dour one; from what she'd heard, it always was.

"What happened today - report, please."

@cwhip9

Silver's expression melted into one of pure sympathy as she listened to Crescent's words pour from his heart.  When he finished, she gave a slight sniffle and walked over, embracing him in a tight hug.

"Oh... oh, Cress... I-I-I didn't know... oh, you poor fellow..."

She held him tightly, the smell of machine oil and a light lavender scent gracing the bat-pony's nostrils as she nuzzled him in comfort.

"I didn't mean to bring up something that would upset you!  I was just... I mean, I only w-w-wanted to..."

She gripped him tighter.  "I'm so sorry to hear about that, Cress... it sounds like she meant a lot to you - and it sounds like it was a bad break.  If she's..."  She stopped, then shook her head.  "No.  No, there's no need to make you feel any worse; forget I asked about that.  I don't like seeing anypony cry... please, it's okay."

Another squeeze, then she stepped back to regard him.

"Okay, so... so then, let's get to know each other, okay?  I mean, I don't know if you're on duty or not then, but I'll probably be spending a lot of my time working on fixing the water tower... well, maybe more like building a NEW one."  She gave a grin, then put a hoof on Crescent's shoulder.

"If you're not TOO busy tomorrow, I could use a pair of wings as an assistant - if you're interested?"

Silver wanted Crescent to work with her - it showed that she trusted him, as Silver usually handled everything on her own.

@Blitz Boom

Oglevy jumped like he'd been stung by a bee, then turned and saw Ziggy standing there.  He quickly tried to rub the tears from his eyes, and cleared his throat from crying.

"What... *ahem* what're YOU doing here?  Did Daxy-waxy get a little feevey-weevy?"  He sniffled.

The poor colt was trying to act tough, but he was a paper tiger; one quick glance at the hole in the wall again, and his eyes glistened with tears.  He looked back at the pegazebra, then the waterworks began anew.

"I... I... I..."

He put his hooves over his face; he was apparently mortified at being found like this.  He started to leave, then stopped and looked back at Ziggy pitifully.

"... I lost Spitfire."

He turned to face her now, and he walked back over as if he was in a funeral march.

"I love playing Wonderbolts, and I love to pretend like I'm flying with them.  So, I come to this vent, pull it off, and I pretend I'm flying with them as the air blows past us.  But... but... but..."

Tears finally spilled over, and the whine of emotional pain returned to his young voice.

"... but I DROPPED Spitfire down the vent!  I can SEE her, but I can't REACH her!  I just... just..."

Now, his bawling began in earnest as he plopped down onto the carpet once more and threw his hooves over his face in shame.

"... you can't have the Wonderbolts without Spitfire... you just CAN'T..."

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis, Getting the hug from the mare helped calm him down so he squeezed back smilling at her touch glad for its comfort. It ment a lot to him her doing this, and with how everything has gone down today it truly was his higest moment that day, aside from the peck on the cheek from her.

And as he was hugged he drank in the smell of oil and machine most others would be avoiding but in a mine like this it was as good as bloo...he blinked feeling his nature to feed then glad she pulled back. He bit his lip blocking the teeth protruding. During the hug he said "no, its ok love. I suck at lying anyways I didn't want to be hiding this from you so your fine hun" he nuzzled back   

once she did let him go the batpoony said after a shake of the head to get rid of more tears.

"well I do have a day off of my chooseing is what boss said" he said grinning back focused on his teeth not protruding out doing a well enough job at it to be not to noticeable by her.

"I was thinking we could go on a pick nick but helping you tomorrow will work as well" he said feeling the teeth relax he breathed out.

Looking at his crush he looked tired but happy now. "so your call ethier way"  

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

She looked up to him, he was a towering figure certainly intimidating. She realised she'd be cowering a little and straightened herself up and stuck out her chest.

"Ah hem..." She coughed to gain her voice. "I assume you mean the accident with the mine and the water tower. Well I have no idea what happened I was near the entrance looking for someone I belive then I get smashed by a wall of water that..." She took a breath. "If not for Taps, the water would of killed me I think most of my bones were broken I'm not sure, the Zebra probably has my injuries listed. Soon as I was up I had to help one of the trapped forponies from a chasm is the mine, Chuck I think I'm still learning names." She took another breath. "After that I went to cook dinner and fed two ponies... that was a use of my time, apart from that just me coming here."

She let out another breath to recover from all the talking. She waited for whatever ominous response he'd give and go from there.

There was one thing she'd noticed he'd not recognised her, thankfully. If he did his poker face was quite good probably as good as her's. I wonder if you realise what a viper I am Luther... She averted her eyes from his gaze trying to fain her intimidation of him.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,

Ziggy was a half second away from scooping the poor colt up and giving him a hug when he started to cry again.

"Awh you poor thing."

Oglevy wasn't exactly one that she could imagine had only a small stack of toys to pick from, but even when you had a good range of things to pick from there would always be those few pieces that meant more than the others. For her it had been a heart-shaped plushie that she still had with her to this day, even if it were kinda small and threadbare, and for Oglevy it seemed to be his collection of Wonderbolt figurines.

The Wonderbolts were some she had thought about a good deal of time too rowing up, so she could understand the fascination, and specially to Spitfire. She were an impressive mare, and by far the most important of the troupe. Which, just like Oglevy said, meant that there was no Wonderbolts without her.

And now she was stuck in a vent, out of his reach. If it had been her, she'd likely have been heartbroken too, yet in her case she always had others to call upon. There were always unicorns at the hospital, so stuck things could be retrieved, yet here... Well, his family didn't include any of them, so that would leave staff, but she doubted he would want to ask anypony there for help, and it wasn't like she could... Or wait, hold on.

Ziggy moved closer and looked into the vent, trying to see how far in the figurine were. It seemed to be some way, but... Were it perhaps close enough? Perhaps being tall here would be a help here after all.

Getting closer the Oglevy, she reached a hoof down and gently laid it on his shoulder.

"Oglevy, honey? Would it be okay if I tried to get her out?"

If he would let her, she'd bow down and check again, and if she were still sure that she could get far enough, would stick her hoof in and reach towards the dropped figurine. Best case scenario, she'd get his figurine out no issue, with the help of her unusually long legs, while worst case, she'd just have to try something else. She always had some thread, needles and such in the pockets on her vest, so she might be able to fashion a little noose or something if this didn't work.

A lot of potential work to get through to reach a figurine, but she couldn't just leave Oglevy like this when he needed help. She refused to be that kind of pony, no matter what he might have made of issues before this.

• Brohoof 2

@cwhip9

"MY call, you say?"  Silver gave a sweet grin.  "Then I say you come help me tomorrow, and we can go on a picnic as soon as we're done with the water tower - it'd be a great way to work up an appetite!"

She stepped back and gave Crescent a wink.  "Besides - I can make a MEAN sandwich!  Well, maybe it's not ACTUALLY 'mean', but more like it's REALLY tasty!"  She gave a bit of a blush, then turned in the direction of the sheds.

"Now, I gotta catch some sleep; big day tomorrow, and LOTS to do.  Be there at midday, okay?  Good night, Cress..."  She tossed him a wink.  "Sleep tight!"

She trotted off for her home, Shed #7, and whistled a little tune as she went, apparently quite happy with the way things turned out.

@Mentis Soliloquy

Luther sat there motionless as Scarlet spoke, his poker face unending.  Finally, when she finished, he blinked once, then stepped around to his desk and, using a hoof, sorted through a few papers.  Scanning them over, Scarlet was left in what was effectively an utter silence as his sharp indigo eyes scanned over paper after paper.  

"Taps saved you," he said without looking up.  "Interesting.  You saved Chuck?  Good."

Now, he looked up - and directly at her.

"Two ponies today; forty tomorrow.  Such is the job.  Two or twenty-two, you get the same pay."

He came around his desk again, his eyes firmly locked on her own as he stepped up to her, towering over her as he did.  This time, he stopped just short of touching her... she could smell the subdued cologne he was wearing, and it smelled as no-nonsense as Luther looked.

"And stop cowering; your eyes are not afraid - why should YOU be?"

He moved back over to the desk, then looked back up at her with the finest trace of suspicion.

"... unless there is a reason to be afraid?"

@Blitz Boom

Oglevy looked like he was trying not to show Ziggy his tears, but he couldn't seem to help himself.  He snuck a glance at the open vent again, then looked at her and nodded forlornly, once.

From what she could tell, the figure of Spitfire was simply lying on the bottom of the vent.  The figure was too far for a small colt's legs to retrieve... but to an extra-tall pegasus, it looked juuuuuuust in reach.  If she hunkered down and splayed out low, she'd be able to fetch it with little problem.  Of course, she'd be up to her shoulder in the vent, but it seemed like a small bit of discomfort for what it would mean to Oglevy.

He gave her a hesitant look.  "Is... is she there?  Can you get her?"  

That hopeful look on his face was precious.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

She almost laughed. "No I have no reason to fear you Mr. Blackwater, I was trying to give that impression but you've seen through my poker face. I wouldn't mind playing poker with you one time or chess, great way to truly read someone through their eyes."

She stood up to her extent letting her body's composure, meet her eyes. "I was preped for many ponies today for food so large numbers are no issue not with preping food for my family. One of seven kids plus staff, cousins, friends and so on..." She stopped herself.

"Ah hem that has nothing to do with anything."

She looked at him more directly. "Is that all you require boss?" She was not sure now what he'd do now, Luther was proving a match for her in wits and poker faces. She was impressed actually, he seemed more of a stallion than his farther was before him, the bugger she'd delt with. Maybe, just maybe he might actually be able to sort her little problem with his family, maybe...

Should I just tell you, now and here? Would you accept it? Or should I wait longer until he gets to know me a little better and vice versa.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,

"I think so, just gon- Aaaargh!"

Ziggy's eyes went wide and she started to flail a little with the three hooves that were not currently all the way into a vent. She hadn't yelled, just let out a small outburst that was barely above talking, but the way she acted now it looked like she were trying to pull herself out of the vent, but couldn't. Either she had gotten stuck, or something had a grab in her hoof in there.

...Or, as was evident when she started to giggle a few seconds later, she were pulling a little prank. Perhaps it wasn't a mature thing to do, but Ziggy were, if anything, a filly's mind in a mare's body. She loved little jokes like this because it entertained her, and there wasn't anything wrong in that, right? Well, unless it was a highly inappropriate situation, but after she got her hoof around the - for some reason - gooey figurine, it seemed like everything would be fine and she could begin to relax again. For her, that meant having a bit of fun.

"Hehe, seem like you were right Oglevy. There can't be any Wonderbolts without Spi- Huh?"

As she had tried to pull her hoof back she had found that, much as she had joked about it a few seconds ago she couldn't actually pull her hoof out. It was sorta stuck on something, but what could it be on? All she had felt in there were the figurine in her hoof with the... Gooey substance...

A flicker of light went off in her head and she tried to let go of the figurine, which unfortunately, wasn't possible either. It was stuck in there, and she were stuck to it like Derpy on a fresh muffin. Though frankly, she'd prefer to be stuck to a muffin. That way, she could at least eat her way out of the problem. Well, if she managed to get her leg out that was sorta filling most of the ven t space, but that was details. Just like the realisation that she had fallen into a trap.

"Awh rats..."

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Mentis Soliloquy

Luther looked her up and down, as if sizing her up for some unknowable confrontation.

"You appear capable.  Good.  As long as you keep them fed, I will keep you paid.  And I do NOT play 'Poker' or 'Chess'; I have no time for frivolity - I have a quarry to run."

He now strolled over to the Celadon Urn in the corner, in a place where the sunlight would catch it.  Inside was a mound of rich, loamy dirt and a single, solitary, scrawny-looking plant.  It had thin, curvy leaves and a single pod or bulb drooping down from the end.  It would have looked as though it was dying, but the plant's coloration was a healthy green, the pod having traces of pink and purple in it.

Luther began gazing at it, yet continued to speak.  "I will gather word from the others; as long as you were not responsible for collapsing the water tower, you have no fear.  In fact," he looked over at her momentarily, "I do not think it was you."

He turned his gaze back to the flower.  "Speak to my wife about budget concerns; she will handle them."

With that, he turned from the urn and made his way out onto the balcony of his office, leaning on the railing and looking out upon the quarry from his lofty position.

"You are dismissed."

He looked powerful and majestic, standing there as he did; he also looked like he had no clue or care that he did.  Proud as he was, Luther was not suffering from an over-inflated ego - he was simply straightforward and no-nonsense.

@Blitz Boom

"HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!"

Oglevy fell on the floor, rolling as his tears began anew... but this time, they weren't crocodile tears.

"Ohhhhh, I wasn't sure it would work, but IT DID!  I don't BELIEVE it!  Ooooh-hoo-hoo-hooo!"

He stood up, wiping his face as he gathered up his other toys and moved the grate out of Ziggy's reach.

"Now, I believe it is time to administer a LESSON, my dear doctor... and I shall attempt to help you understand my reasoning for such instruction..."  He carefully set his toys on a nearby table, and picked up a black greasestick, usually used for marking crates for shipping.

"You see, I very much recall our earlier interactions, and I was extremely chagrined by your simple assumption that I was merely a naive, innocent little foal."

He moved behind Ziggy, completely out of sight of her awkwardly-splayed vision.

"So, I endeavored to find a manner in which to explain this in a way you would comprehend without getting so 'preachy' on me... and it occurred to me that humiliation teaches many a lesson, and makes it... stick."

He laughed like a mini-mad scientist, then Ziggy felt the greasestick moving on the left side of her flank... the colt was drawing something on her butt!

"And so, I will allow you to understand, through personal demonstration, what it feels like to be seen in a humiliating light... such as the light shed on me when you treated me like a little child."

He finished drawing on her, then stepped close enough to almost whisper in her ear.  "The lesson here is elementary, my dear Zinger:  I.  

Am.  

Not.  

A.  

Foal."

With this, he retrieved his toys, and with a grin he sauntered off, giggling like a schoolfilly and leaving Doc Zinger helpless and humiliated.

To be fair, they HAD warned her.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

Blackwater Manor- Luther's Office/Manor

She bowed to him. "I'll take my leave boss." She departed his office and stood outside. "Well that went ok then..." She shrugged and went back towards where she came out.

@@Blitz Boom

Until she heard a ruckus from one of the rooms to her side. She went to the ajar door...

She looked in and saw something that confused the hell out of her, and a suspicious little colt. She came in not being noticed and put a firm hoof down on the floor enough to make him possibly jump in fright. "Hello Oglevy, I've heard about you. May name is Scarlet and can you tell me why the buck the doc is stuck in the vent with stuff drawn on her rear?." She was half tempted to laugh at her, a small snigger may of escped but she shushed herself.

She moved over to the poor doctor, well she thought it was Ziggy. How can one really tell when all you can see is a leg, tail and their rear? It's not a huge amount od things ro go on. The sight would be funny given another day, but she was not in the mood for laughter. "Doc are you ok?" She moved over to the poor lass. "I'll have you out of there."

Whatever had her stuck in there so long as it wasn't her actual body blocking her own exit like say a shoulder, she'd have her out. She wrapped a hoof around her tail. "Doc I'm gonna try and pull you out ok?" She would have a strength to pull her straight out if Ziggy helped.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

"Ehehehehe, that tickles."

That was the only thing Ziggy said whilst the trap sprung and Oglevy told of his master plan to get her back from before. Really, she didn't want to say anything so he could be allowed to finish speaking, but the marker pen had really been tickling her and she couldn't hold back in the moment.

Beyond that she just waited to see what were happening, so to speak, as her vision were a bit limited right now. Beyond the speech and the ticklish doddling, not much really, though it likely would have if she had said something about his speech there at the end. Mainly, that she found it adorable how he tried to talk like a big colt, which likely for him was intimidating, but in her eyes were just cute. He lacked some deeper vocal cords and the menacing presence of his father to be able to really get his point across without that thought entering her mind.

Wasn't long she had between that thought entering her mind and Oglevy running off, grinning over his successful prank and leaving Ziggy to be stuck in the vent. Something that, oddly enough, didn't even seen to seemed to bother her that much as it wasn't long after she couldn't hear him anymore that she finally let out a laughter at her own.

Sure, she might be caught and was gonna have an awkward meeting with whoever were gonna stumble over her eventually, but she did awkward stuff all the time, so that didn't really bother her that much. Not like it was any more awkward than the times she had been dancing around in her breaks and been found in the middle of an air guitar riff or other high points of the dance, the times she had stumbled around the quarry with her head stuck in a bucket because she had been careless, or when she had been disposing of some old gauze that had gotten water damaged and ended up wrapping herself like a mummy for fun, then played around with a few dolls and some boxes, pretending to attack a small city.

No fun in blushing and feeling bad over that. Better to just embrace the awkward, and do a mummy dance with a confused miner in cardboard city.

This was a bit different though as it was a first for her to try this. No, not getting glued to things, that had happened a lot, but more specifically being glued in a vent. That was a well played touch that she hadn't tried before, and frankly, she hadn't thought that even she could be talked into that. Yet here she were, stuck in a vent after being conned by a colt. And honesty? She wasn't even mad about it, she were impressed.

Seriously, she were a bit dense in it at times, but Oglevy had completely fooled her. He had even added some crying to sell it better, which she knew a lot of actors wasn't even able to do on que. And usually the ones that could had to train for years to be convincing, but the little rascal had it down to a T already. Top performance that would've been worthy of a good rounf od clapping, but she was sort down a hoof for that right now.

She tried a few times to see if she could pull herself out, but to no avail. This wasn't some cheap, bad glue from the feel of it, so she was going to need some help to get out of here, which she really wanted to. She had paperwork to fill and... No, bad Ziggy! No staying silent to have an excuse to be away from paperwork, no matter how boring it were.

She were about to call for help when the familiar voice of Scarlet broke into her thought process - or at least she thought it was her. She had only met the mare like, twice currently, so she could be wrong - and started asking if she was okay.

"Super, I hoped somepony would find me. See, I'm sorta lost in the mansion and need a hoof to get out. Oh right, and I'm stuck in this vent, that too."

A little giggle escaped her before she tried to yank herself back a few times for show. She didn't have the raw strength to have a chance to get out of this glue trap on her own, so a show was all it was going to be unless somepony could get hold of a unic- wait, what did she say? Pull her tail? Nooooo! That was gonna hurt like... Like... Something. It wasn't pleasant, okay?

"Aaawh, this isn't gonnna be any fun..."

Ziggy took a deep breath and exhaled slowly as she began to do what she could in pulling backwards. Considering the quality of glue that had likely been used though, she were half expecting that this would really be painful. The other half of her thought that perhaps she'd remain down here, and her tail get pulled off. She'd prefer the first one frankly, as that would be over relatively soon, whilst her tail popping off would be a whole 'nother level of bad stuff. Plus, y'know, she'd still be stuck down here.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 2

@@Blitz Boom, @@Randimaxis

Blackwater Manor- Oglevy's Room

"Doc don't worry I'll get you out of this... how the buck are you stuck in a vent anyway?" She used that as a statement over a question as she moved her hoves to the base of Ziggy's tail as to get a good grip to yank her out of the vent.

"Before I pull how stuck are you? I need to know that before I yank you out of here." She was quite sure she'd be able to pull her free without a huge amount of trouble, she had the raw strength to do so but it'd might not turn out well. Who knows what might happen when you yank a stuck pony from a section of wall?

Nagging thoughts were in the back of her head though. Who did this? Probably the brat she suspected, he needed putting in his place that'd fix him maybe give him an opportunity to prank a pony bad, but in front of his father that be something. Then there is Luther himself, she still was not sure about him. There were many issues and it was going tk be interesting to see what would occur in time.

Then there was Crescent, she wanted to speak the that fella about something... mostly about him going walkies on her cousin.

• Brohoof 2

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

@@Randimaxis,

"I'm stuck in some glue. I was trying to help Oglevy, but he ended up getting me really good instead. You should really have seen it."

Ziggy giggled a bit more as she remembered how she had been conned before. She really had to try and get hold of Oglevy at some point and ask him how he did that so convincingly, but it'd likely be some time before she ran into him again. And something told her that the next time, she were gonna end up a bit like this, just not glued in a vent. Perhaps glued to a plate though, she wouldn't rule out the little rascal could make that happen if he wanted to put in the effort.

"Anyway, think you could try and pull me out then? Pretty please? Before the glue hardens too much."

The glue was still sort of gooey, even with the wind from the vent helping the process, so perhaps she could get popped out of there, though she were pretty sure that the figurine would be stuck to her hoof. She had gotten a rather good grip in it and she had the nagging thought that it was stuck to the vent less than to her. Which hey, just meant that she would manage to get the figuring out, so win really, right?

Or well, would be when she got out, but perhaps now would be it.

• Brohoof 2

A pegasus wrapped in a robe that seemed strange to most, but familiar to some of the more seasoned workers, landed before the gates to the Blackwater Quarry.  He was breathing hard, no doubt from some long flight, as he retrieved a trio of letters from his well cared for saddle bags stamped with the acronym TAPS.  

Letters in hoof, he entered the quarry in search of the local pony express agent, one Taps, to whom he was to deliver two of the letters to before he delivered the third to one Luther Blackwater himself.  Given the description of the quarry he quickly made his way over to the Pony Express station and looked for a place to drop the letters for delivery... but Taps had already spotted him, and headed to him with a curious look on her muzzle.

They looked each other up and down, then he smiled - THIS was who he was looking for, no doubt.  He gave the letters to her with nothing but a smirk as he gestures to the lettering on his own bag.  She stared at it for a moment, began to grin as she saw her own name... then realized what the acronym stood for.  Her eyes went WIDE... but she nodded, now being well aware of how important these letters truly were.

The letters he gave Taps were small and stamped with an image of a ruler, a quill pen and a paintbrush arranged in a six-pointed star in red wax.  Seeing that symbol told Taps all she needed to know.

He was coming back. 

Swift then made his way quickly to the manor house, and after a knock and a hushed explanation to the cranky-looking maid standing there, she sighed and allowed him in, shutting the door behind her.  Moments later, shifting light from Luther's balcony told a story of how he apparently had some company with him...

@Mentis Soliloquy @Blitz Boom

The vent said >CRACK-POP!<, and Ziggy and Scar went tumbling backwards from the open vent.  They fell into a heap in the middle of the floor.

The good news?  Doc Zinger's shoulder and foreleg were now out of the vent, as well as the Spitfire figure.

The bad news?  The figure was STILL stuck to her hoof... as was a chunk of the vent's inner lining.

They had successfully managed to not only get the pegazebra free... but they broke a part of the Blackwater Manor to do it.

THAT should be fun to explain, hmmmm?

[Meanwhile...]

Outside, Luna's work in the skies had been successful for the day, which meant night was at hoof, and there would only be a little bit before all were asleep, whether at home, in the barracks or within the manor itself... it had finally gotten quiet here.  Nopony was still out... all was done.

To the side, a single barrel stirred and shook a bit, then lifted itself up and began sneaky-tiphoofing towards the gate, which was still open for the delivery pony's benefit.  The barrel reached the very edge of the quarry property, and then a single pair of eyes peeked out from under the lid, looking at the place or one last time.

"... bad day..."

The barrel began to move slowly outside the gate... but when it reached the slope, it tottered over and began rolling FAST down the path towards the foothills of the Crystal Mountains.

"... bad day bad day bad day!!!!"  Came from it as it rolled out of sight, and earshot - the stallion inside never to return.

Of course, after the mess he made, who could blame him?

• Brohoof 1

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

@@Randimaxis,

"Uuurgh... Fnergh..?"

Ziggy's eyes rotated around and it felt like small birds were circling her head chirping. She were at the bottom of the pile, but didn't really notice that either as her brain was scrambling to get back in contact with the rest of her again after having tumbled around like they just did. Sure, she might fly weird and be used to irregular angles at high speed, but that usually didn't include colliding with others, and the floor hadn't really helped either to soften the blow.

She felt that last bit well when she finally got a connection and shook her head to clear her head a little. The feeling of her wings feeling sort of sore along with a small headache and the weight of the earth pony upon her registered well, but thankfully she wasn't really injured, just a little beaten up. Pegasi tended to have an easier time getting bruises, broken bones etc. because of the way they were build up, and not being in that boat was something to be happy about for sure. Like the fact that she was free! The vent hadn't her in it's grip anym-ooooh, rats.

The look of the piece of the vent that was stuck to the figurine, which were in turn still stuck to her hoof, finally registered as well. It wasn't a big piece that were there, but... Any piece of it missing was probably not good.

"I don't think this is good."

She tried to wriggle her hoof a little to see if the piece of vent might plop off, but as could be expected, it didn't bulge. Guess her next point of action wasn't going to be to find Dax after all, but rather a way to fix this, which was a bit of a downer. She didn't want to keep putting off speaking with him. She had already done that too much alread, even if it wasn't her intention.

• Brohoof 1

@@Blitz Boom, @@Randimaxis

Blackwater Manor - Oglevy's Room

"Well I'm blaming that on you, or if somepony tricked you in there." She rubbed her head a dull pain now in her skull. "I don't think doctors willing go and get stuck in vents they tend to be smarter than most." She kept rubbing for a little while before standing.

She turned to the, the what? What the heck do you call a half pegasus half zebra?! A zegasus? Pebra? Flying zebra? She regardless of what she's called helped the doctor up, doc was way easier to think about and certainly say. "Are you ok... Ziggy?" Having to actually recall the doctors name she'd only met her twice now she thought? One of those times she was on her way to heaven.

As she waited for the doc to gain her bearings looked to the damaged wall, that was gonna be fun to explain. She had to come in and help didn't she? After that mess she quickly looked the doc over, she seemed ok apart from something stuck to the base of one of her hooves. That was good if that was the case can't feel the base of one's hooves so run it under hot water and hey presto and no more glue crap.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis, As she left he gave her a wink in turn "sleep well love" he took bow, seeing her leave. He soon took his leave to his personal shed by the barracks. Any pony's still out would have seen a rare sight out of batponys, a batpony not flying but hopping. Not skipping but whistling to a tune in his head, and if anypony would have seen through his only window...the same batpony....one could say dancing..

....another could say having a fidget session.....

...a dance instructor would laugh at the batpony while a doctor would look through his medical books to explain what he was seeing.

Yet whether anypony would have seen him do such a thing it didn't matter to him because he had one thing going on in his mind that made him act in his goofy manner.Do to the fact of his crush saying yes to him.....

"she said yes she said yes this has to be the best

she said yes that's not a test you can bet your mane on that because as a mater of fact
she said yes!"

He didn't realize he was flying in this point in his own house the tune he whistled took over the words as it was more natural for him to whistle then sing. Soon tiring out he fell to his bed soon passing out for once in a long time actually falling asleep at night, fancy that.   

• Brohoof 2