Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

@@Randimaxis,

"I don't know, I just figured that the earth ponies were closer when the water tower broke as they had to get back to work inside the mine and that's why a lot of those got swept down. Not really completely sure though, but that's not that important either right now. What is is to help the ones that were, like poor Chuck down there."

Ziggy gave a small smile to Knee and went over to the hole, sticking her head down momentarily and saying "Hey Chuck! Don't worry, you're going to be out soon, okay?"

With that being said and done, she turned back to the others. Namely for the time being, Knee Slapper, who were trying to get the rope ready for use, but seemed like he could use a helping hoof with it.

"Need my help with it Knee? I could get it tied up fast while the rest of you figure out if there's anything that's gonna be an issue with getting him out? Like sharp rocks that's gonna cut the rope or something horrible like that."

Ziggy didn't have the magic needed to get stuff floating around and stuff, nor the strength that were really come in handy when they had to drag Chuck out, but she were fast in her movements and could get this sort of thing done in pretty much a blur. If he'd allow her to get to work with that, that at least would go fast, and they could get to getting poor Chuck back out of there, where he... Well, potentially would whack Knee Slapper one on the noggin for his comments before, but it were hard to be sure.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

@DwhitetheGamer

The work was grueling; it took quite a long time to haul all the equipment up from the mine below, but not because of Copper.  The workers had to get below and haul everything out of the water and into the lift, then off of the lift and to the rows of storage sheds, where they'd be shelved for later inspection.  

In the entire process, Copper's actual work lasted no more than about two minutes at a time - his spin dash was exactly what was needed to get the lift going at a safe but quick speed, and he had a far greater amount of control than a simple machine could be capable of.

But those two minutes came erratically, and there was never more than about six minutes (give or take) between spins - after the first hour, he could feel the burn of aching muscles... and this wasn't the friendly 'I'm building muscle' burn; it was the 'your tendons are about to snap like crisp farm-grown carrots' burn.

But while he worked, miners would occasionally stop by with a word of thanks, or a random compliment, and even a few came to him with cold drinks of ice water and a straw dog or two.  He had definitely gained their respect; even the one who had doubted him earlier had tossed him a compliment or two.

It took a grand total of THREE hours to clear that section of the mine out, and Copper was exhausted by that point... he may have had stamina, but all that spinning, in short bursts over and over, would wear down even the fastest hedgehog pony...

... but many of the workers were there to help him back to the barracks when it was all over.  They brought him more ice water and an honest-to-goodness goosedown pillow.

"Quite a feat out there, kid!"  

"HARD workers - Mr. Blackwater's gonna LOVE you!"  

"Heckuva sight - never seen anythin' like it afore!"  

He apparently made some fans.

@Mentis Soliloquy@Blitz Boom

"Heh, sounds like dereza buncha youze up dere; hope dat means I'm gettin' outta here soon."

Chuck's voice echoed up from the hole and around the cavern - years at the loud quarry had put his natural speaking voice at a higher volume, so it projected farther than expected.

Knee looked over at Ziggy with gratitude in his eyes.  "Yeah, thanks - a bit o' help would go a long way here.  You can do that, and I'll..." he looked at Scarlet, "I can tie it, but I think you're pretty able to do it yourself, so get it around you tight enough to pull with... I can tie on and wiggle down the-"

"Doofus, you're too big.  Let ME do it."

Oglevy was leaning against the wall, his forehooves crossed as he watched the adults trying to get themselves together.  Knee lifted an eyebrow, looking at the colt, then the hole, then himself, then back at the colt.  After two runs of this, he turned a questioning glance to the two mares.

"He'd fit better than I would - I'll give him that.  What'cha two think?"

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

(I see you, Randi.)

Well, that took longer than he expected.

But it wasn't nearly as excruciating as one would think.  The pain of having to do this was actually in the half hour AFTER the first, when he was starting to groan with the effort because of the strain.  But it wasn't as bad, thanks to the cold water given to him by the miners.  He underestimated the amount of stamina needed to do all this, but he was determined to get through with this, because he was the one that put himself in this position.  He thanked the miners for their occasional compliments, and nodded after being thanked.

After the most daunting three hours of his life, Copper slumped his behind on the ground, panting hard as he was trying to catch his breath.  His whole body ached, but he was glad to do it.  He grinned as he was given the ice water again.  He drank it and, after hearing the compliments from his new fans, he said, "Thanks guys.  To be honest, I kinda underestimated how much strain I would be putting myself in, so I'll know better next time.  And frankly, I should have stretched so I could feel less of this pain.  Heh, I know I'll be sleeping well tonight, that's for sure."

He laughed.  He knew he had gotten the respect of these miners.  He tried to get up, but then groaned, slumping his flank right back to the ground.  "I'm glad I took those notes before I did this. Where is Mr. Blackwater anyway?"  He directed the question to the miners with him.

Edited by DwhitetheGamer
  • Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis,

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

"Just leave it to me."

Ziggy took the rope, thankful that she were able to get something done quickly here since she really had to keep herself active so she didn't get into a spat about having to get back to her office and see if there were more injured. Besides, this were the sort of thing that she could do well. It was making some knots, and that easy enough if you had some moves in your hooves.

Moving quickly the rope got knot after knot, with Ziggy only stopping once in a while to check it they kept before going on again, hooves moving over the rope in a blur until eventually she were done and looked over them. At first she had aimed for just delivering the rope, but as the talk had gone on and reached the point where it was put forth to send down Oglevy to give the rope to Chuck, she were a bit hesitant in what to do here.

"The rope is ready, but... I don't know if this is..."

She looked between them all, then the hole, then the rope, in rapid succession whilst trying to make up her mind about this. They needed the rope to get down there effectively, that were true, but was this the best idea? perhaps... No, Scarlet had to be up here to help getting it up, and she and Knee were too big to not just end up getting stuck or complicate things by not leaving enough space for anything down there... But still, sending a colt down there?

After thinking on it a bit mmore she let out a small sigh and looked with concern on Oglevy whilst reaching out one of the ends of the rope to him

"Just promise to be careful, okay? I don't want you getting hurt."

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,@@Blitz Boom,

The Quarry- outside the mine

"Well I don't care, we need to get this poor bugger out of this hole, there is no time for this wishy washy stuff." She found the other end of the rope and tied it around her shoulders, then she saw to the rest of the rope so there was no knots or anything to casue any problems for them. She backed away a bit taking up some of the slack. "Well I think I am ready...how heavy is that pony in the whole anyway? Not that it matters but I...eh never mind tell me when you are ready for me to pull him out of that there hole." 

She turned from the group facing away from them digging her hooves into the dirt readying to pull him out no matter his actually weight she was the one who'd be the pony doing all the pulling, she was doing some old tricks when it came to dragging that her father had passed on to her when she lived back on the farm when she was younger and was dragging dead trees. She kept readying herself waiting for the go ahead from one of the others as to start pulling. "I hope I can actually do this..." 

• Brohoof 2

@Mentis Soliloquy@Blitz Boom

Oglevy gave a smarmy grin as he took the rope and began to tie it loosely around his front left leg.  "Yeah, yeah..." he muttered as he looked over at Ziggy, then he gave a short sigh and added, "... but I'll be careful; honest."

Knee smirked himself at that - Oglevy, honest? - but he didn't complain or say boo; Chuck needed help, and that's why Knee was here.  He wasn't about to let one of his oldest buddies simply sit in a hole for the rest of his days.

Oglevy went to the hole and looked inside, poking his head in.

"HEEEEY!  ARE YOU DOWN THERE!?"

"GEEZ, kid!  I'm right heah!  Dere ain't no need fer yellin' like dat!"

The Blackwater colt pulled his muzzle out enough to look over his flank at the others.  Nodding, he then turned and popped into the hole like a little blue gopher.  The rope slacked a bit, then tightened, then slackened again, then grew taut once more - apparently, Oglevy was scooting along a few inches at a time.

"YUCK.  It's muddy and grimy in here; doesn't help that it's COLD, too..."

"'Ey!  I don' wanna even HEAH dat!  I been at da bottom o' dis pit fer a while, an' I'm COVERED in muck an' such - you hear me grousin' about it any?"

"Yeah, yeah... just hang on, ya old nag; I'm getting there SAFELY, if I get there at all - don't push me!"

There was an audible, exasperated sigh that came up from the hole, in Chuck's pitch and timbre... then a dual yelp - in perfect stereo, no less.  Than their words floated up into the cavern.

"YOU SCARED ME!"

"Yeah, well YOU scared ME, so we're even!"

There was some yanking on the rope, then it went a bit slack for a moment... then caught MUCH tighter than before.

"WHOA!  Yer getting kinda FRESH dere, kiddo!"

"Oh, cool it!  I'm tying it under your forelegs so we can haul you up - don't make me regret it, ya old fogey!"

A bit more tugging from the rope, and then Oglevy's voice came drifting up from the little tunnel.

"OKAY!  It's actually ON - so PULL!!!"

@DwhitetheGamer

At Copper's question, a few miners got worried looks on their faces, as if Mr. Blackwater frightened them... but that couldn't be the case... could it?  One of them, one of the miners who had brought Copper water, looked around a bit before leaning in close to speak.

"I heard that Mr. Blackwater's on the trail of who was responsible for the flood at the quarry today - and whoever they are, even though I'm mad enough to spit fire, I hope they make it.  Luther Blackwater is NOT a stallion anypony should cross."

Another miner, an Earth Pony with a gathering of white hair in his mane, stepped closer to the speedy pony and gave him a slight grin.

"So... what kind of work do you WANNA do here?"

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

Copper figured as much.

Seeing that his future boss was going to find the pony responsible for the damages, he knew it would be a bad idea to cross his line, especially at the current level of anger the older stallion was in.  "Figures.  I'm sure nopony would wanna cross his line after everything that's been happening.  It'll be even worse once he reads my notes on the damages throughout the areas affected by the collapsed water tower.  I kinda hope that they made it out alive from the flooding in the first place."

Now he grinned as a miner asked him what kind of work he wanted to do here.  "I'm flexible.  Meaning I can do whatever work possible.  I'd much rather prefer hauling minecarts, but I can do whatever kind of work given to me, if you couldn't tell by me being a pony wheel."

He thought for a moment.  Then he figured, why not tell them about why he came here in the first place?  "Back in Ponyville, the town I lived in before, there was a stallion who worked here a year ago who recommended me this place yesterday.  He said I was perfect for hauling minecarts here.  What do you all think?"

• Brohoof 3

The Quarry- inside the mine

Scarlet almost missed when Oglevy shouted out to her it did not register for a few moments before she snapped out of her waiting trace and started pulling...

Bugger me this stallion is a heavy slogger. She grunted as she took one hard step after the other digging in with each step her hooves making deep marks in the dirt as she pulled there was no or little help from the others she was the work horse in the case her part to play was to be the heavy lifter not like the unicorn or the pegasi could actually pull him out it was up to her.

She grunted and huffed one small step after another...

A few moments passed before she had made a few meters progress and had Chuck out of the hole or at least enough of him out that the others could now assist in getting him out she was not paying attention. One step, one more, keep going Scarlet, prove these buggers wrong! Prove them that earth ponies matter! She kept grunting moving and so on she'd now made good progress from the hole, Chuck must be out by then...

Edited by Mentis Soliloquy
  • Brohoof 2

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

@@Randimaxis,

It were nerve-wracking to watch this. From the moment Oglevy went down the hole the worry meter in Ziggy's head just went Boom! and shot up as she got several scenarios of bad things happen roll through her head. At the start it all resolved around how Oglevy might get hurt, but after hearing that the two of them were both talking down the hole it started to get more into Oglevy And Chuck getting hurt, which really wasn't a development that helped on the increasing pounding in her chest.

Then the rope eventually went tight and now all she could do were to wait and see what were going to happen as Scarlet pulled the stallion a little by little up the hole.

She wanted to help the mare in some way with this, like... Pull the rope or something? Cheer her on? Call out on how it looked at the other end? But what if that just broke her concentration and Chuck were going to fall down then?

She hated being helpless, but it really were in the hooves of Scarlet right now, and just like with popping a balloon to get unicorns out of the zone and mess things up, the smallest thing made her fear that things would go badly, she'd start to slide back, eventually falling down into the hole and landing on them all, leaving them... No! Bad thoughts! They were going to be okay, all of them. She just had to trust that Scarlet could handle this, and give her the peace too keep her concentration just in case, and it'd all be fine.

So she just sat there, looking nervously as a little by little the mare went forward and the rope got closer and closer to its ending, and hopefully, carry Chuck and Oglevy with it safely.

• Brohoof 2

"Minecarts?"

The miners all looked up at that; there was something up about the minecarts, but there was no telling what.  The older miner nodded to the others, then led Copper off to the side, putting a conspiritorial foreleg around the blue pony's shoulders.

"Kid, you'd be GREAT fer minecarts... you've got stamina and drive - plus that SPEED sure helps, I'm certain!  And, uh..."

He gave a conspiritorial look around, gauging the ponies surrounding them both before leaning in a little closer to Copper; the speedy stallion could smell the dirt on the miner, he was so close.

"... y'seem like you're the SPORTING type, too.  Kid, you ever run a RACE?"

The old miner had NO idea what he'd just said, did he?

@Mentis Soliloquy - @Blitz Boom

Step by step, Scarlet made slow but steady progress as she pulled and PULLED on the rope.  Her hoofprints were making progress, even if it felt as though she wasn't getting it done... there were sloggy, muddy sounds coming from the hole, but not a word from inside.  Then...

"OW!"

"Well, MOVE YER FLANK!"

And finally... finally... a single gray hoof reached up and thumped into place at the mouth of the hole.

"DAT'S dat ol' PEPPAH!  DAT'S IT!"

Next came another hoof, then Oglevy's head popped out; it was quite a sight, two grown gray hooves... and a colt's sky blue head.

"GETCHER FLANK OUTTA MY FACE!!!!!"  Came the muffled cry from the hole, and Oglevy squeezed, strained... and tumbled out, muddy but unhurt.  He sat up and wiped the dirt from his eyes, then looked up at the others.

"TOLD you I could do it!"

He scooted off to the side as the bigger form of Chuck List began to sli-i-i-i-i-i-ide out of the hole; it almost looked a bit like the ground was giving birth to a full-grown horse.  As soon as his head was clear of the hole, Chuck turned it and spat a LARGE amount of mud to the side, then he took a deep breath and bellowed:

"DAT... WUZ... NASTY!"

He tumbled from the hole, and lay there on the ground for a moment before looking up.

"T'anks, dere... I wuz feelin' like I wuz..."

He glanced over at Scarlet, then followed the rope tied to her all the way back to himself.

"You... you did dis?"

He stood up (carefully) then made his way over to the mare.  He stopped about a pace away, and smiled broadly and gratefully.

"You - yer a dynamo, ya know dat?  T'anks fer savin' me - an' dat haddta take some DOIN'!  Y'got some muscle dere, ma'am; my kinda mare!"

He laughed out loud, then looked to the others.

"T'anks, allaya... even you, Oggie."

"It's OGLEVY!"  The colt spat back... but there was a hint of a grin on his features, so it was most likely just out of habit.

Chuck turned back to face Scarlet.

"You evah need anyt'ing... ANY LITTLE T'ING... you come talk ta ME; I gotcher back heah."

He gave her a playful thump on the left foreleg, then looked down at himself.

"Okay... I'm gonna need one HECKUVA bat' t'night!"

And he laughed.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

Copper looked a little confused as to why the miners said "Minecarts" the way they said it, but there was no questioning it.  As he was led off to the side by a miner, he began to wonder if this was the right choice for him to be in.  He nodded mentally, for he needed to be in a good challenge, and this was a decent one to call it that.

His ears perked up at the sound of speed in Minecarts and shook his head at the miner who told him, lowering his own voice to him.  "I understand that I have the speed for hauling minecarts, but I don't wanna risk losing emeralds because of the sudden speed of my Spin Dash.  I'll only do it if there's a low load, but that's all."

He gave a confused look as soon as the miner asked him about racing.  "Well, yeah, I've run races before.  Haven't won a whole lot of them, but still, I've raced.  Why exactly do you ask?  Who's the fastest here in the Quarry?"

He didn't sound convinced that there had been races here in the Quarry, but it didn't hurt to be sure.  He didn't mind racing, but there are times when he knew racing wasn't an option, and here in the Quarry was one of them.

• Brohoof 3

"ShhhhhHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

The old miner shushed him and led him a little further from the group yet again.  Looking back towards them, he then leaned in close to Copper again.

"My boy - we race MINECARTS here!  There's been minecart races at the Blackwater Quarry for as long as there's been BLACKWATERS here, I'd reckon!"  He let loose a wheezing laugh, then gathered himself again and looked at Copper.

"Look, we have a small track in the mines - route 6, junction 17 - that we take the old, decommissioned minecarts to, and we hook 'em up to our strongest, fastest miners and we make bets!  The racers here are usually treated like superstars; lap o' luxury and all that jazz."

He glanced around again, making sure they weren't being eavesdropped upon... then he continued.

"Now, a runner like YOU?  I tell ya Kid, being new an' all?  You'd be sittin' pretty here at the quarry; wouldn't be a thing anypone would do against you - you'd be the King O' The Quarry, with speed like yours!"

His grin was infectious... almost literally, as the smell of his breath Copper could almost FEEL as it wafted past him, making his eyes water with it's pungency.

"So, Kid?  Whaddya say?  You wanna be 'the new pone' here... or do you wanna be a HERO?"

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis@@Blitz Boom, @@Mentis Soliloquy, , "agreed, but" the batpony over looked the damage of the mine "something tells me first the care of the mine then the opals" Cresent said he nuzzled his crush "meet me in the mess once we get every pony situated"

With that he made his way back to get the mine back into gear he soon found himself watching chuck getting saved and pulled out. Seeing him laugh was an oddity itself but with today events he couldn't say anything has gone "normal" so to speak.

"dang chuck I know your heavy on your work but don't go falling in them holes" cresent joked. He saw the other pony's around him.

"good job saving him, sorry I couldn't lend a hoof was helping fish out the others to the medic bay, you guys all good?" he said to the group then his eyes settled down on the colt. He blinked at the youngster unsure how to approach as he'd never seen a colt this far in the mines.

"um, I think your mom is worried about you.a colt in a dangerous place like this is beyond asking for a wuppping from his mom, unless this is a dare which in case you need better friends" he said turning his head to the side at the youngster.

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

Copper looked rather surprised at the miner who shushed him.  He didn't know why the pony had to keep him quiet, but he bet that there was some secret that he didn't know.

Boy, was he wrong.

After being told that they race minecarts, he gave the miner a nod of curiosity.  "Sounds interesting.  I should give it a try some time."

His eyes widened as the miner stated that there would be nothing anypony would do against him if he raced.  Just for racing?  It must be pretty big here if there's no other entertainment here.  "Wow.  Bet there's no other type of entertainment for you all, which is kinda lame, if I'm honest with you."

Now he put his hoof on his chin as he pondered on what to do.  He just came here to work, but this pony was saying that there was racing that happens within the Quarry.  He pondered on what to do for another few seconds before responding, first of all with being humble.  "Ya know, I just came here to work, I didn't expect there to be any sort of fun here."  He slowly but surely grinned at the miner pony with him.  "But you know what?  A little fame never hurt me.  I'm in!"

• Brohoof 3

Scarlet tried to hide her panting keeping the air going through her nose rather than her mouth trying to show her as not being effected by pulling them both out but she did not show it that well the work was hard, nothing she could do about it.

"Think nothing of it Chuck but don't ask me to work in here I'm a cook not a minor, but I shall remember that you owe me one." She looked at the others and puffed out her chest, the might of the earth nation was proven by her today and she was swelling with pride. Earth ponies are the best, no doubt about it!

@@cwhip9,

She then heard a familiar voice. "Nah it can't be out here?" She turned to see that thestral she knew the only one she knew. "Crescent?" She walked over to him and put a hoof around him squeezing the life out of the little falla. "Nice to see you all the way out here fancy bumping into you? How's life been treating you since last we saw one another then Cres?" She realized he was not able to take her hugs so well as she'd like him to and let go. "Sorry forgot your made of sticks." 

• Brohoof 3

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

@@Randimaxis,

@@cwhip9,

"Chuck! Oglevy! Oh it's So good to see, you being up here with the others and me."

Ziggy had been ecstatic with joy for a bit and had kept immobile when Chuck and Oglevy had gone through the motions after getting out of the darn hole, but she couldn't hold back forever and eventually she zoomed over to give first the colt, and then the forepony a tight hug, happy to see that they were up and seemingly doing fine. Sure, she got mud in her coat, but she really didn't care right now. She stuck around the neck of Chuck more than Oglevy though, not letting him go that easy.

"Was starting to fear, you wouldn't get up here, but she worked really hard and went through. Dirty and torn, but not looking Too worn, yet we'll be sure when I have you checked on, though -"

She were rambling on again as she let go of the pony and turned towards Scarlet, rhyming as she sometimes tended to do when she got into an emotional peak point,a nd not really taking notice that the pony were currently talking with another pony. One that she still hadn't taken notice of had joined them in her currently over-hyped state.

"- to you I owe much, for without your touch, he might be stuck down there until he'd be needing a crutch. When this is all done, and there's time for some fun, I hope to later descend and really call you my newest, strong- Crescent!"

The sight of the bat pony finally got into view and the half-muddy Ziggy rose a hoof to wave hello to him, though she didn't really say much more ass he went over to Chuck and would at least Attempt to brush some mud off him so she could see the general state of him. Even if he wasn't right now, she'll just grab hold of him later. No way she were going to let him out of the quarry today without being checked, that was for sure.

She still heard what else were being said, about the medical bay, how Oglevy should get home before his mother worried - though he might wanna wash first - and the other things, but her brain processed a little slowly at times. It'd come knocking soon and then she'd have all other sort of things to worry about again.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

The old codger grinned a near-toothless grin, and the light in his eyes grew hot and blazing.

"Glad ta hear it... okay, t'morrow night - Tunnel 13, Route 66; can't miss it!  'Bout an hour after the work whistle goes off.  Don't tell no forepones, either - don't need dem gettin' involved."

He turned and walked off from the blue pony then, but said over his flank as he walked away,  "Catch ya t'morrow... champ!"

As soon as he walked off, about three others came to Copper and started talking rapidly about watching him spinn that wheel, how speedy he'd shown to be, and how uttery awed they were by his Spin Dash.  Looks like Copper had officially made a few fans today.

@cwhip9 - @Blitz Boom - @Mentis Soliloquy

The mood was wonderful, and with Chuck out of the hole, everything had worked out well enough.  Well, except for ONE small detail still awaiting a solution...

"ALL OF YOU!"

The sound of the booming voice echoed all over the cavern, and it froze the workers in place, as one.  It was Luther Blackwater, and he did NOT look like he was going to award medals for bravery and teamwork - he looked LIVID.

"This mess... the destruction... the setbacks... the injuries..."  He took a deep breath, his barrel filling out impressively.

"UNACCEPTABLE."

He ran his deep indigo eyes across everyone present, then spoke again... however, where his other voice had been loud and angry, this voice was soft and cold - far, far worse.

"Each of you - every last one - will report to my office TONIGHT; I will hear each of you speak, then I will decide what to do.  If you do not show, you are DONE here.  Finish up what needs to be done and report to me; the Ons will await your arrivals."

This said, he spent only a moment more glaring at the gathering of ponies... then his eyes swiveled to look at Knee Slapper, who was looking a tad nervous.  Knee noticed Luther's gaze, smiled sheepishly, and lifted an eyebrow in question.

"Yeah, Boss?"

"What are you hiding, Slapper?"  Knee's eyes widened a tic... then he simply seemed to slide into a cool, smooth facade.

"Boss... you've known me for a long time - there's never a reason I'd have to hide anything from ya, Boss."

Knee was staring intently back at Luther, who met his gaze for a solid minute... then the massive stallion blinked, as if waking up suddenly.  He seemed confused, but only for a moment.  Then, he gave the slightest of shrugs and simply turned and walked back to the main cavern, apparently intent on investigating elsewhere.  "TONIGHT," he reminded them as he left.

As soon as he was gone, Knee stepped away from the minecart laying on it's side he'd been leaning against, and Oglevy crawled out of it, relief writ large across his features.

"Father doesn't let DAX come in here; he'd send me to Tartarus for it!"

Knee grinned.  "You're welcome, Oggie."

The colt gritted his teeth and turned to Slapper.  "My name is OGLEVY, you pernicious pantywaist!"  And with that, he kicked him squarely in the front-left knee and took wing, taking off out of the cavern like a shot.

Knee grunted, but didn't sit and hold his aching leg until Oglevy had left the cavern.

"Well, looks like we get a free trip to 'Blackwater Court', so ta speak; it's all fine - he WILL listen to whatever ya got to say.  Just tell THE TRUTH, no matter what.  He's... well, Luther's got a REALLY good bullchip detector, and he does NOT like liars.  Plus, none of US did anything wrong; we'll be fine, don't you worry."

The look on his muzzle confirmed this idea; maybe they weren't in as much trouble as had been first surmised?

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

'Don't need the foreponies getting involved?' Copper thought.

That just further elevated the belief that he shouldn't believe the stallion.  There wasn't any race, and there certainly wouldn't be one.  He didn't think Luther would be happy knowing that fact.  He was going to have to figure it out from him if there was or not.  He had a serious expression on him, and he was about to tell the stallion this fact before he left.  Then he shook his head.  He knew the worker was hiding the fact that there was no race to begin with.

All thought were cast aside, however, when three other workers walked up to him and started talking rapidly about his talent.  By then he smiled at the workers and gladly joined the rapid-speaking conversation.  He knew he made fans, and he was rather proud of it.  He continued talking at the same pace as them...

until...

He stopped speaking, and the smile slowly faded from view.  He turned around to the exit of the barracks, a serious expression on his face.  "Uh, guys... I think Mr. Blackwater is out of the cave, and I don't think he's very happy."

• Brohoof 2

@@Mentis Soliloquy,
@@Randimaxis,
@@cwhip9,

The voice of Luther Blackwater suddenly coming out of nowhere made Ziggy jump up into the air and hit the ceiling with a look over her like somepony had just emptied a bucket of ice-water over her. It wasn't always that a voice coming out of nowhere got to her like this, but hearing it was the boss sounding even more unhappy than he could other times made her hit every panic button in her button at once. Even the *Oh no, we're out of muffins!* button, which was kinda weird.

She quickly turned around and were faced with the boss who were, for a lack of better term, looking So miffed that hope seemed to wither and die around him. Did so for her at least as she felt her heart sink like a meteor at full speed. And then he started talking again...

Or well, Talking wasn't the first thing he did. First off he yelled a little more, and Then he started talking. Though frankly, she'd have preferred if he kept yelling again. That at least didn't make her fear for her existence like this did. Like seriously, that tone? She were imagining all the ways he were going to punish them, like kicking them out from afar into an active volcano with laser-beam sharks dropped around them to snap at them the whole way down and more. The whole Bond villain routine.

When he finally left, after making sure they understood his words and imprinting the untold promise of indescribable wrath - or well, getting fired, but she could hear it in his tone. Pure wrath there - if he didn't find out what happened with his quarry, her first response was not to go like Knee Slapper and Oglevy and sorta play it off and try to ease the minds of the group. Oh no, it were panic, with her running around frantically and internally screaming like a little foal.

"Nonononono..."

She swung over, grabbed Knee and put her hooves on his shoulder, shaking him a little whilst babbling on about "What're we gonna do?! He's gonna ask about Oglevy, I just know it! And then I have to lie cause I promised, but he will know, and I can't lie to him if I wanna keep my job, but thenhe'sjustgonna- Meep!"

Getting into frantic, fast-paced words that were starting to melt together near the end, she were not in the stablest of minds. Which meant that the stone that suddenly fell behind her and landed on the ground with a soft *Thunk* caused her to revert to basics, let go of Slapper and rush over to the hole they had gotten Chuck out of, covering in it, but with her front hooves and head poking out and looking at things from down low with fear dancing like lights in her eyes.

She wasn't gonna get stuck in there, though her wings were gonna be right dirty when she got out of there. Right after the impending fear of meeting the now-far-more-intimidating Mr. Blackwater with her job on the line would tone down a notch or thirty.

• Brohoof 1

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

@@Randimaxis,

@@cwhip9,

The voice of Luther Blackwater suddenly coming out of nowhere made Ziggy jump up into the air and hit the ceiling with a look over her like somepony had just emptied a bucket of ice-water over her. It wasn't always that a voice coming out of nowhere got to her like this, but hearing it was the boss sounding even more unhappy than he could other times made her hit every panic button in her button at once. Even the *Oh no, we're out of muffins!* button, which was kinda weird.

She quickly turned around and were faced with the boss who were, for a lack of better term, looking So miffed that hope seemed to wither and die around him. Did so for her at least as she felt her heart sink like a meteor at full speed. And then he started talking again...

Or well, Talking wasn't the first thing he did. First off he yelled a little more, and Then he started talking. Though frankly, she'd have preferred if he kept yelling again. That at least didn't make her fear for her existence like this did. Like seriously, that tone? She were imagining all the ways he were going to punish them, like kicking them out from afar into an active volcano with laser-beam sharks dropped around them to snap at them the whole way down and more. The whole Bond villain routine.

When he finally left, after making sure they understood his words and imprinting the untold promise of indescribable wrath - or well, getting fired, but she could hear it in his tone. Pure wrath there - if he didn't find out what happened with his quarry, her first response was not to go like Knee Slapper and Oglevy and sorta play it off and try to ease the minds of the group. Oh no, it were panic, with her running around frantically and internally screaming like a little foal.

"Nonononono..."

She swung over, grabbed Knee and put her hooves on his shoulder, shaking him a little whilst babbling on about "What're we gonna do?! He's gonna ask about Oglevy, I just know it! And then I have to lie cause I promised, but he will know, and I can't lie to him if I wanna keep my job, but thenhe'sjustgonna- Meep!"

Getting into frantic, fast-paced words that were starting to melt together near the end, she were not in the stablest of minds. Which meant that the stone that suddenly fell behind her and landed on the ground with a soft *Thunk* caused her to revert to basics, let go of Slapper and rush over to the hole they had gotten Chuck out of, covering in it, but with her front hooves and head poking out and looking at things from down low with fear dancing like lights in her eyes.

She wasn't gonna get stuck in there, though her wings were gonna be right dirty when she got out of there. Right after the impending fear of meeting the now-far-more-intimidating Mr. Blackwater with her job on the line would tone down a notch or thirty.

The bat pony sighed seeing ziggy fall down the hole. "I don't see him getting upset with Jr honestly more so with who or what ever happens to the water tower" Cresent stated. "Besides why would a colt get near a water tower at a mine unless it's the same pranker if herd..."The bat pony paused conecting the dots " I think I just answered my own question" he finished

Seeing his friend panics like such was a tad annoying to see. He then remembered who ziggy was as a pony. Fixing up ponys cut to ribbions no problem, but dealing with his boss he'd seen her do. Seeing her like this somthing told him to do somthing. "Well with that being said, excusse me for a second" spreading his wings he flew down towards the terrified mare. "Now ziggy hidding never helps. C'mon now your jobs in the line and you hide? Me and boss don't speak much but all ponys respect the truth being said now c'mon out and we will work this out ok? Your the mines only doc pony I doubt boss will fire you for the past work you've done to help the minors right?" The bat pony reasoned bitting away his annoyance.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,@@Blitz Boom, @@cwhip9,

If Blackwater was anyone else she would of punched him for that, the nerve that one shouts at his employees the ones doing the right thing how could any of them caused that water come come down here? Maybe a pegasus or Crescent but no one else could get from A to B in that short an amount of time. However she knew when to keep her head down follow orders be a good little filly she'll see to her purpose for being in this mine in the middle of no where soon enough... 

She looked at the others standing around most were either confused or scared of what happened some both, Scarlet on the other hoof now went back to being angry her kitchen in total ruin after this mess more hours of cleaning and cooking everyone would want feeding after this and she had to do it. She had no time for Blackwater's demands she'd see him last all he could do was fire her the others hungry workers could eat her maybe? "I'm going back to soft out the mess in my kitchen if anyone needs me..." With that she left them all walking back to her little slice of place.

She returned a few moments later to find her kitchen a mess, a total and utter one the floor was covered in water and mud up to about knee height saving the counters thank Celestia. She turned off the soup that was still going if it was needed she did not want to burn it, she just sat down in the mess on the floor sighing. Her eyes were drawn to her own legs and coat, she was filthy and caked in mud. "...Buck me..." She sat there defeated for a few more minutes or was it hours... 

• Brohoof 2

@cwhip9@Blitz Boom

"Look, Luther's not in the habit of firing pones on a whim - only the most extreme cases warrant something like that... though..."

Knee Slapper gave a bit of a sheepish grin.  "I'd say this is a pretty extreme case."

He made his way over to the hole Ziggy was hiding in, and gave her a disapproving look.

"Zigs, c'mon... do ya really think Luther will toss YOU out?  You're the best medic we've ever HAD here... well, since I started, at least... and Luther knows he couldn't replace you.  Heck, YOUR job is the most secure one here - except maybe Silver.  And Taps."

He sighed, rolled his eyes, and his horn began to glow.

"Come on now, Ziggy... don't make me lift you outta there; come on out, and we'll talk like reasonable, rational ponies, mmkay?"

He looked at Crescent.  "C'mon, Cress - gimme a hoof, here; keep talking to her."

@Mentis Soliloquy

"Well... didn't take long to muck it up, I see."

The voice came from behind Scarlet, and standing there was a very tired looking old stallion who was glancing around the place as if the mess there was an everyday happening.

"Still, if you've just got to get the kinks out before you learn better, now would be the time."

He turned and smacked his hoof against the side of a snack shelf; a small yet tidy broom and dustpan fell out from behind the shelf and right into the pony's hoof.  He immediately turned and began sweeping up what mess he could sweep.

"Name's Grill Brick - and this was supposed to be m'last day working the lunch trailer.  I guess that makes you 'Scarlet', am I right?"

One of the miners/fans gave a chuckle at that.  "Luther Blackwater ain't NEVER happy!  Dat old stallion's got more vinegar in him than a pickle canning factory!"

This brought a number of laughs from the workers gathered around.

"Don't worry about HIM too much - he's a lot of brass, but it's because he hates miners.  Just a heads up, there."

The rest of the miners grumbled a bit; apparently, Luther wasn't exactly liked around his own quarry.

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

Copper just looked at the miners, with a serious expression on him.  He didn't really like their attitude towards their boss, and he certainly didn't like it that he was hated.  He said, calmly but with a hint of anger in him, "I'm sure somewhere in his soul is a heart that cares about his own family."

He left the barracks without any further word for them.

Outside, he looked around to see Mr. Blackwater was anywhere.  He trotted down from the barracks to find his future boss.  When he eventually did, he stopped him by saying, "Mr. Blackwater.  I have the notes of the damages like you ordered.  Three pages worth regarding the damages, plus a half a page of additional tidbits."

He sat down on the ground, and picked up the notes from his saddlebag, handing it over to him.  He also took this time to ask a question about some minecart race, to which he still didn't believe the miner who told him about.  "I also have a question."  He looked at him straight in the eye and said, calmly but with anger present, "Is there such a thing as a minecart race that you all do?"

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

Scarlet looked up at this old stallion. "Why are we the cooks? Never see anyone 'else' cooking just us Earthies do all the fun jobs, it is nice though I like cooking so not a massive deal." She got up and sighed. "Anyway my manners, yes I'm Scarlet I suppose I'm taking over from you then Grill. By those choice words sounds like your gonna enjoy leaving this place and what kinks?!" She got some more cloths and such to start cleaning down the cabinets. She sighed yet again as she started.

"You know I got this whole damn place clean this morning it took me bucking while..." She said with a annoyed grunt. So much easier with magic, why can't I have magic... Scarlet just continues she was never going to grow a horn so the work was going to have to be done by hoof as normal, at least she had some help from someone who knew there way around this kitchen at least a small amount of consolation some work again. But Taps did help last time so she should really stop complaining she seemed to be doing that a lot since she got here... 

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,

@@cwhip9,

A little time passed as she heard the voices of the others before she started to crawl out of the hole again, looking rather jittery still, but starting to slowly getting down again and realising how silly she were being. Which in turn, made her blush up like a pyre when it started to sink in what she had actually just done.

Usually she kept her cool in things, even if she acted strange at times, and when it came to the boss there were usually little to be seen in her being scared or nervous about what he were going to do. But in the moment, when the adrenaline were running, the relief of seeing both Chuck and Oglevy get out of the hole safely, and still having the thoughts of the incident in the shed that she had promised not to tell Mr. Blackwater about, the very angry, shouting Blackwater boss that came out of nowhere had shaken her a little more than she felt comfortable admitting.

"I uhm... Heh, I guess that Was kinda silly..."

She didn't sound completely convinced yet as she lifted a hoof and scratched the back of her head awkwardly, but they had gotten through to her at least some, and she went over and drew them in to a small hug.

"Thank you guys, you're the best. Not just today, but in general too with all the hard work you do down here, keeping the mine going and make sure everypony's safe. This place would be a lot more dangerous without any of you here, and I wouldn't trade you for all the cupcakes in Equestria."

She would let go of them eventually, and when she did, she'd look a little more cheerful, smiling down on the two stallions with rosy cheeks and starting to think of times she could pull up as examples for these two to have saved the day. A task that quickly got out of hoof as they did a lot of good work daily here and just picking one moment would be near impossible.

• Brohoof 3