Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

@@Blitz Boom

Slapper gave a huge grin, and carefully took the gauze in hoof.  He looked back up at Ziggy, relief in his eyes.

"Thank you, Doc - I do appreciate it, really.  Trust me, it's all for a good cause - and I'll see to it you get it back... well, as much as is left, anyway."  Slapper smiled broadly and headed off, seemingly whistling and in a good mood.

Now, Ziggy had some time before the big meet in the yard today... and even after the hunt she'd been having this morning, she still hadn't found the young Blackwater, either.  There was a lot to think about - and only a small amount of time to think about it, for now anyway.  Between the hassle of dealing with this supposed 'conspiracy', having a burn victim and two explosion victims in one day, and now the idea that Dax Blackwater might be upset with her - or worse, in trouble - due to her intelligent yet flighty mind.

The clock ticked away like a metronome hanging from the wall.  There were sounds of activity out in the yard proper... but in the office, it was rather quiet.  Soothing quiet or unnerving quiet was a matter of opinion.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis, before the next day

Cresent laid down thinking things over, there was another thing. He turned looking at his crush, got up one more time and gave the mare a hug with his wings.

"I hope your not annoyed at me for having us blown up" he moved back facing silver now looking the mare in the eyes almost getting lost in them. "And if iv made you uncomfortable please let me now. I don't want to do anything that would come back and bite us, just. I kind have had a giant crush on you sense well" his wings dropped and he scratched his mane half embarrassed half trying to stay cool...Silver could see the blush he had almost matching his orange mane. 

"ok I'm bad at this lovey dubby stuff iv liked you for a while sense the day you showed me around a couple months ago. And you probably should know that if I'm..." he paused sense they were playing with fire in more ways then one.

"I highly doubt it would get worse then this right now, then again getting blown up wasn't the way I was thinking of saying all this too you, I mean I planned , no that still sounds bad" he was kind of stumbling into himself now looking for a life line   

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,

"Uuuurhg... So boooored..."

Ziggy looked up from her papers and up at the clock for what felt like the gajillionth time. She knew that paperwork was part of this, and normally it didn't bother her as much as this, but after the way the day yesterday had gone this just felt like such a snails pace. And that was not to even mention the papers themselves, which was not only convoluted and here and there, contradicting a bit, but also had to be signed in three copies and put into the right order in the right binders with the right, company-approved seal on and- Bleargh.

She had tried getting her mind off it by thinking about the day yesterday and trying to get some meaning in things, but all that led to was still just her feeling guilty that she hadn't gone off to find Dax, and the thoughts on how that day had at least had a lot of fun to it. Granted, dangerous too, but the boredom right now was starting to get too her. She just needed something distracting for a bit to get out of this downward spiral.

She put down the pen and let out a sigh before wandering over to the door. Perhaps if she looked outside there would be something distracting out there. Or perhaps just a bit of fresh air might do her good, they'd see.

Letting out a small yawn she took a grip in the door and opened, looking at what - if anything. happened outside.

• Brohoof 1

@@cwhip9

"Shhh... I think I get it.  I'm normally not much of one for the whole dating thing, but..."

Silver was blushing a bit as well, and she leaned over and gave Crescent a nuzzle.

"Well, maybe it's time I tried, right?  Besides, with the way you talk to me, I'm charmed... well, not so much as magically enchanted, but more like I think you're kind of... cute..."

Her blush deepened.  She turned away, but gave him a sidelong look as she began to trot off.

"Look, I'll see you tomorrow, Cress; I think we could both use some sleep after all that happened today."

Off she went - no doubt back to her shed - but she did spare a glance over her flank at the bat-pony, and smiled sweetly.

@@Blitz Boom 

Out in the yard, there was a bit of commotion as Ziggy saw a number of workers currently engaged in building what looked like a makeshift stage.  There were some of the planners, going over design scrolls as other workers were putting up posts, nailing planks and tying down flaps of blue and white striped canvas.

Curiously enough, she also saw Chuck, the head forepony, wandering in a seemingly aimless manner... until he reached one of the stacks of supplies.  Looking around casually, Ziggy saw him swiftly reach down and snag a roll of rope, stashing it in his saddlebag as quick as a flash.  With that done, he began sauntering off, trying to appear as nonchalant as possible.

There was also one of Vylia Blackwater's butlers (they were twins, and difficult to tell apart).  He seemed to be speaking earnestly to one of the other architects, though it was too noisy with all the construction going on to hear what the tuxedoed pony was actually saying.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,

Okay then... Tough call this one.

Looking over things and seeing the stage being slowly made had given her some jump back in her step, and though she knew that this was likely something to do with the fliers in her office and on the door, she still managed to have that short, magical moment when the idea of some grand circus show ran through her head. It helped perk her up quite a bit, though didn't last when she saw Chuck waltzing around all sneaky-like.

At first she thought that he was there for a reason. He would have good reason for it after all, so why not? But when she saw him snatch the piece of rope when he thought nopony was looking and stashing it in his saddlebag, she wasn't sure anymore.

Sure, he might have the need for some rope here, but it looked more like he had just gotten over to take that, which was a bit weird.

What else was weird - and slightly alarming - was the presence of one of Vylia's butlers. Which one she didn't know, but it didn't matter much either, as Ziggy started to cast a glance around to make sure that Mrs. Blackwater wasn't near them.

Whilst Ziggy normally felt like making friends with everypony, even she didn't care much to be around when the female Blackwater was around after the first time she had seen her. The mare hadn't been focused on Her in that situation, but what she saw of the verbal abuse towards the poor sod she Did have a focus on - as well as what she had heard when asking a few others - Vylia was a mare you did best in staying clear off.

It wasn't always possible, granted, and if she met her Ziggy would do her best to be welcoming to her. But unlike most others, it would be more feigned than actual emotions, and she would more than likely be busy bracing herself or pretending she had Way more work than she already had if the lady of the house was around.

It seemed like it was only one of her butlers for now though, so that was good... Perhaps. Frankly she didn't really know much about the two butlers,a nd what she did was kinda evading her right now, which wasn't good when trying to think if the two were overworked slaves more or less, or of the same kind of... Well, *Personality* as their boss.

It was tempting to find out, but there is where the call got tough, cause as she saw it now she had three options:

1. Follow Chuck and see if she could find out what he was doing with the rope.

2. Go over to Vylia's butler and listen in for a bit before perhaps making contact.

3. Go back to her... Urgh, *Paperworks*.

Quickly, the third idea got shot out of her head. She didn't have much left there, a long work day to complete it and she really, Really didn't want to be sitting with them again right now.

That left two choices that both seemed to hold potential for catastrophe or adventure, perhaps even answers to some things. What one to pick wasn't easy though. Whilst following Chuck was the easier one all things considered, it might also be the most boring, and she would have to be silent. On the other hoof, meeting with Vylia's butler would allow her to get some talking done with somepony, which she liked, and perhaps learn something fun, but at the potential costs of being up to her knees in bad karma if she had remembered wrong and the butlers were bad seeds.

In the end, the potential for bad things happening with the butler is what made her decision as she locked the door, put the sign up that said to push the button in case they needed her whilst she was out, and pressed it once for good measure, just to see if it worked - Which she could tell it did from the slight zap going through her leg.

With that done, she walked over and started to follow the trail of Chuck, trying to stay out of sight. It wasn't easy considering her colours stood out here a lot, combined with tall ponies being hard to hide, but she did a good try at the very least. Though, they'd see if somepony would stop her before she got away from the stage area. Or heck, if Chuck took notice of his poorly-skilled stealth tracker.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis, crescent waited for her to leave to move safely out opt ear shot. Once he felt good he jumped up and down starting to dance "I'm cute she say's I'm cuuuute! Woo! the bat in town is back on his game!" the bat pony collapsed on the cot again glad he had that out of his system. He closed his eyes with after being blown up he was glad where he was in life.

The next day

Crescent, didn't sleep in the minds often, it wasn't the minors he mind, more the beds, the food, or the setting. It was the Alarm that sounded to start the day he hated. When it sounded his headache from the day before didn't help, in the least bit. He opened his eyes annoyed remembering why he didn't sleep there. A minor who happens to be in the barracks nudged the bed.

"aren't bats nocturnal?" said the minor.

Crescent narrowed his eyes at the minor, must be new "only on Tuesday's" the bat replied sarcastically getting up. He noticed a paper on the foot of his bed about the meeting at 2:00pm. Crescent raised an eyebrow on how fast that happened, "good should be Abel to get answer's" he said looking at it. He glanced at the minor, a unicorn, you didn't see many in the mines must be a manager. 

"how deep you going today?" he asked the minor

"deep mine is closed off so just the first level, you?" the minor asked hardcap on

"well I'm the guide" the bat pony stretched getting off the bed "and trust the bat and you'll do fine here new blood"  

• Brohoof 2

@@Blitz Boom

Chuck made his way around the quarry, checking up on the other miners, yelling at one or two lazy ponies and generally doing his job.  It almost seemed as if his grabbing the rope had been a hallucination... until he finally marked off on the clipboard on the wall.  Then, he looked around in a rather shifty manner - Ziggy was lucky she didn't get spotted - and snuck around the back of the shed he was in front of.  

She almost missed him by the time she got to where he'd gone, but she could still faintly hear him, so she followed that.  Eventually, she came up behind the massive boulder that served as the dynamite storage shed... and as she got close, she could hear talking... 

"Arrite - here's da rope; let's hope we can get dis done b'fore it's missed, eh?"

"Yes, yes... I've managed to gather a few towels; I would've brought more, but the polishing waif was stingy.  How dare she..."

"Yup, and I've got some gauze here; directly from the Doc herself."

There was a bit of motion, but if Ziggy moved any closer, she'd run the risk of being seen.

"So... I suppose we'll be acting tonight?"

"You kiddin'?  Dis is gettin' done during dat presentation t'day!"

"Uhm, I hate to burst your bubble there, Chuck... but WE have to be there, too!  How are we gonna get this done DURING the meeting?"

"Oh, it'll just take ONE o' us ta do it; the uddah two can covah for 'im."

"... and WHOM do you expect to do this?"

"Slapper?  You up fer it?"

"Oh, why not - it'll be LOADS of fun!"

Something about this didn't quite seem... right...

@@cwhip9

The new miner smiled and shook his head.

"I've actually just started; it's my first day.  I've heard a LOT about the Blackwater Quarry - best pay you'll ever get for a hard day's work, I hear.  So you're the guide, huh?  I'd heard the Blackwaters could afford anything they pleased, but... I'm kind of impressed they managed to hire a bat-pony; your kind doesn't get around much, from what I've heard."

He offered a hoof to shake.

"Hi - I'm Slam Dance.  Nice to meet you, friend.  I figure I might as well start making friends, seeing as how I'm still the new foal on the block, right?"

He gave a bit of a grin, then got a curious look on his face.

"So... what are they really like?  The Blackwaters, I mean... are they really as bad as other ponies say they are, or is it all just rumour and hear-say?"

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Uh oh, That didn't sound good.

Ziggy - for reasons best left for gods to explain - had somehow missed being spotted by Chuck, even after she had slipped and hit that bucket. It hadn't been Loud, and they Were in a work area at that point, but still, she was amazed she hadn't gotten spotted by anypony else than... Well, everypony else than the foreponies currently.

She recalled one of the miners she moved past had given her a rather funny look when he saw her try to sneak after Chuck, but like most ponies that knew about her around here, he had figured that it was just one more of her antics. It was totally what she would do normally really, so she couldn't blame him, though if she did this more out of fun than curiosity she would likely have been humming at the same time.

Right now though, it sounded like a good thing she wasn't heard. The foreponies were up to... Something, that would happen at the meeting today. Something that they didn't want to get tracked back to them, and involved a rope, a roll of gauze and a few towels. Odd combination, but she didn't doubt that when Slapper was involved, something was gonna come up from those things. Celestia knew that stallion could get creative when he wanted to be.

She was going over how she probably should go and tell somepony about this and try to figure out what was happening instead of staying here until she was caught, just in case it was something bad, when her leg started to shiver a bit, and the bracelet she had on glowed slightly. The sign that somepony had pressed the button on her door. Or y'know, considering the work crew, had accidentally hit it with a plank. Or one of the new ponies around felt like playing games with her. Really, it was hard to tell, but she had to check anyway, just to be sure.

Backing away reeeeal sneaky.like, she managed to not hit something that gave noise and then took to the skies a few metres from where she had been eaves-dropping, flying her odd little ways towards the office with good speed whilst thinking over who she could tell any of this about.

She didn't want to spread rumours, and especially not when she wasn't even sure if it wasn't just a harmless prank they wanted to play, so she couldn't just go and tell everypony. She couldn't go tell the Blackwater's either cause, y'know, words of those three against hers and the whole *nopony likes a tattle-tale that goes to the bosses* thing.

Perhaps she should go look for Crescent and tell him when it was? Yeah... She could check if he did better after yesterday too then! Perfect. She just had to get done with whatever was happening back at the office and she'd be on her way.

"Please, dear Celestia, don't let it be somepony saying the paperwork gotta get in earlier than they told me. Surprise deadlines are no fun."

• Brohoof 1

@@Blitz Boom

Chuck made his way around the quarry, checking up on the other miners, yelling at one or two lazy ponies and generally doing his job.  It almost seemed as if his grabbing the rope had been a hallucination... until he finally marked off on the clipboard on the wall.  Then, he looked around in a rather shifty manner - Ziggy was lucky she didn't get spotted - and snuck around the back of the shed he was in front of.  

She almost missed him by the time she got to where he'd gone, but she could still faintly hear him, so she followed that.  Eventually, she came up behind the massive boulder that served as the dynamite storage shed... and as she got close, she could hear talking... 

"Arrite - here's da rope; let's hope we can get dis done b'fore it's missed, eh?"

"Yes, yes... I've managed to gather a few towels; I would've brought more, but the polishing waif was stingy.  How dare she..."

"Yup, and I've got some gauze here; directly from the Doc herself."

There was a bit of motion, but if Ziggy moved any closer, she'd run the risk of being seen.

"So... I suppose we'll be acting tonight?"

"You kiddin'?  Dis is gettin' done during dat presentation t'day!"

"Uhm, I hate to burst your bubble there, Chuck... but WE have to be there, too!  How are we gonna get this done DURING the meeting?"

"Oh, it'll just take ONE o' us ta do it; the uddah two can covah for 'im."

"... and WHOM do you expect to do this?"

"Slapper?  You up fer it?"

"Oh, why not - it'll be LOADS of fun!"

Something about this didn't quite seem... right...

@@cwhip9

The new miner smiled and shook his head.

"I've actually just started; it's my first day.  I've heard a LOT about the Blackwater Quarry - best pay you'll ever get for a hard day's work, I hear.  So you're the guide, huh?  I'd heard the Blackwaters could afford anything they pleased, but... I'm kind of impressed they managed to hire a bat-pony; your kind doesn't get around much, from what I've heard."

He offered a hoof to shake.

"Hi - I'm Slam Dance.  Nice to meet you, friend.  I figure I might as well start making friends, seeing as how I'm still the new foal on the block, right?"

He gave a bit of a grin, then got a curious look on his face.

"So... what are they really like?  The Blackwaters, I mean... are they really as bad as other ponies say they are, or is it all just rumour and hear-say?"

Cresent grined back not sure ig=f this was a genuine new guy or the saba- he stoped that thought and blamed it on the explosion. "cresent, or cres for short if you forget" Cresent said shaking the hoof. After the shaking of hoofs Cresent trotted towards the door looking for breakfast nodding Slam dance to follow him.

"As for how the Black waters are you already met the main boss MR Blackwater, but honestly there all right" Cresent opened the door and the two made there way to the chow hall. Cresent noticed more poster everywhere, some it was hard not to trip over. "There's chuck he just yells at every pony to move when its needed, think of him like a harsh uncle. Knee slapper is always pulling a joke and he likes new guys so if you haven't met him yet you will. lets see" cresent stoped nodding at the cook for his usual dish. The cook smiled not saying a word started on the food.

"As for the Family I don't know that much about them, if you see a little colt running around he'll try to pull a prank or two like he's trying to get better then Slapper." once the tray was up cresnt carried his over to the table and began to eat. After a few mouthfuls of French toast he said, "but he's nothing to worry about. if you need to worry about two pony's your looking at one of them already" Cresent's tone went from friendly tour guid to a serious tone, might as well lay on it thick like he did to every knew guy. This was where he would find out whether the new blood would be a danger to himself or not  and how well he'll be in the mines.

"As guide I basically tell you where to dig and not too for a reason and not many other ponys have night vision, we have a spider family in there bigger then this table. And that's the kids, accidents happen in the mines mostly when pony's don't listen to me or something unexpected happens, as for you" he looked back up from his tray seeing a slight worried look from Slam, he didn't interrupt Cresent so far.  

"your still sitting with me after I mentioned the spiders. most leave the table after I say that, so your good in my book" said the batpony leaning back in the chair waiting for Slam to respond.

• Brohoof 1

@@Blitz Boom

As Ziggy flew towards her office, there was a lot going on around her; the first shift was already down in the mines, and the next shift ponies were either catching up on their sleep or making their way in early.  It well believed that Mr. Blackwater looked favorably on those who showed up early and left late - of course, nopony knew if that was really so or not, but he seemed like the kind to think so.

Among them, she could see the most activity around the staging area - otherwise, all the real action was down in the mineshaft.  Days when they blasted could be interesting the first few times... but when the explosions were far enough down, there was only the slightest of tremors - if any sign at all.

Arriving at the office, the Doctor saw one of Vylia Blackwater's butler ponies.  He wore a finely tailored tuxedo, and his mane was oiled and slicked back into a very posh manner.  When he saw her, he bowed politely and waited for her to approach.

@@cwhip9

Slam seemed thoughtful, then nodded confidently.

"I can deal with spiders; if we stay out of their boundaries, they tend to leave us be - what's not simple about that?"  He shook his head, sighing.  "Look, if I couldn't handle being stuck in a dim hole and having to beat gems out of the walls, I wouldn't have applied... but, that said, I'm also smart enough to know that I don't know everything; I'm glad to hear you're a capable guide."

He gave Crescent a curious look.  "Uhm, I hope this isn't too personal of a question, but I've never had the chance to actually, you know, talk to a real bat-pony before.  Aren't you related to-"  He looked around quickly, making sure they weren't being watched.  

"... to fruit bats?"  He spoke softly; only he and Cress could hear what he'd asked.

@@Randimaxis,

"Hi there."

Ziggy wouldn't claim that she had expected This when she got back to her office since she figured that Vylia's butlers were too busy with their own thing to come for her, but she welcomed anyony there, and especially when the alternative were that it was somepony hurt. The joy of it not being that almost made her able to push away the slight, nagging thought that Vylia had sent for her or convinced her husband to give her the pink slip for whatever reason, neither of which sounded to her like it would mark a good start to her day.

It didn't leave her entirely, and inside she was a tiny bit nervous over what was what, but she kept her smiling exterior going as well as ever. Even when she sped up from her waving position a few metres away and the next second stood in front of the butler, looking down on him with a mixture of the carefree grin and searching eyes looking for something being wrong with him. She doubted it was that since he didn't seem to be wincing in pain and she couldn't smell any blood yet, but it was her job to worry when somepony came to her office after all.

"What brings you to me today? A request, an order, or things not to say? At least not out here, when anypony near, would able to hear what brought you near. We can go in without bother, if you don't wanna share with any other, or just want some discretion-"

She leaned in a little and talked lower with the last words to her sentence.

"- y'know, if it's an infection."

She wasn't really sure if she had been here long enough for anypony to have seen the pattern in it yet, but generally starting to rhyme tended to mean that she was a bit nervous, even if she didn't show it. It wasn't the only thing that brought out her Zebra side, and she tended to sometimes goof around with doing it for fun, but when she wasn't overly playing around it mostly just meant that she had hit that emotional wave-length of *Somewhat nervous without showing or going towards panic*.

They'd see soon enough if she had a reason to be nervous.

• Brohoof 1

@@Blitz Boom

The butler blinked a bit at her peculiar manner, but he didn't turn his nose up at her, either.  He did raise an eyebrow at the 'infection' line, but otherwise seemed unmoved one way or the other.

"Madam Zinger, my name is Beck.  I am one of Vylia Blackwater's personal servants, and I have come forth to you today to inquire of your passive assistance in ending a dreadful problem."

He began to pace a bit, a concerned look slipping onto his muzzle as he spoke.

"You see, Madam Blackwater is a collector of very fine things: statues, paintings, vases, sculptures... and especially jewelry.  She has a collection of over 300 pearl necklaces alone, if that gives you any idea... and therein lies the issue at hoof.  One of those pearl necklaces has come up missing."

He raised a hoof before she could interrupt (not that she was; it was apparently a simple reflex action), and spoke firmly.

"Now, I shall reassure you that neither Madam Blackwater nor I are attempting to insinuate anything at all - in fact, she is currently scouring her chambers for any trace of it; my brother Call is assisting her.  I am simply going from staff member to staff member and requesting and eye and an ear be kept out for any information regarding a pearl necklace that might come up, if I may?  Though Madam will likely only be happy to have her property back, my brother and I would be most grateful if it were found - Madam can be... a challenge to deal with when she is cross like this; finding the rogue necklace would end our strife."

He gave her a look that said he was certain he and his brother wouldn't get a moment's rest until the wayward strand of pearls was recovered.  He seemed nice enough, and he was respectful to Ziggy... but beneath the very tightly-constructed professional facade, he looked exhausted.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

"Mrs. Blackwater lost her necklace? Oh dear, that's not good."

What she Actually had wanted to say was more along the lines of "Who needs 300 pearl necklaces?" but it didn't seem tasteful to say, even for her, so she had kept it down and just gone with the second thought that came through her head instead.

Frankly this seemed better too, and to be honest, she was rather relieved. Considering the alternatives, being asked to keep an eye out for a lost - or perhaps even Stolen - necklace wasn't so bad, though it likely felt like that for Vylia.

Much as Ziggy wasn't understanding why she'd need that many of the same pearls - she had carried the pink-coloured ones around her neck for years and never needed any others - she did understand how bad it felt when loosing things, and how infuriating it could also be to not be able to find it again. And with an expensive thing like that? Holy molly.

Granted, not All pearls were high enough quality to be considered worth much, but Mrs. Blackwater didn't exactly seem like the type who would wear false or sub-par jewellery, and she had seen enough necklaces in Las Pegasus to get the base idea of what those things was worth. Which depending on the place and quality, could be about the same thing as a miner here could earn in three years of regular work.

"You can count on me Beck. I'll keep an eye out for anything that looks like it, and if I hear anything at all, I'll get it to you right away, okay? No need to worry, we'll find it sooner or later."

Another part she wanted to add was to ask if Vylia was running them down from whatever mood she was in over loosing one of her possessions considering how cranky she could seem when she Didn't miss something of hers, but it felt like it would be in poor taste to ask. Sides, she could tell it from looking at him. The poor sod looked positively knackered already.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis, Cresent blinked a couple of times, he never herd the question at all. In fact that was definitely a first among many 'what type of bat are' questions he's faced over the years. He gave a chuckle, then as he thought more about it he the chuckle turned into a laughing bit for a short time. Durring said short time half of the other pony's in the room ether left, jumped, or just hid under the tables.  

"s-sorry" cresent said wiping a tear from laughing so hard "that's definitely going in the funny question book" he breathed out trying to talk now. "as far as what type of bat I am I cant tell yam do to lack of actual records on us (batponys) which is funny with the amount of hunters out there who think they know us when you don't find much in library's on batponys. My honest guess is I'm probly just part of a mutated line of pegisi. So I guess we could call some my cousins on that account but that's all brain storming. now enough about me" cresent took a swig of his apple juice looking at the clock on the wall.  

"all these posters seemed to have popped up over night, and we probably should head towards where this meeting is" Cresent got up dumping his trey in the garbage and headed out of the cafeteria

• Brohoof 2

@@Blitz Boom

Beck sighed.  "Yes, I certainly hope it does; thank you for your time, madam.  Hopefully, this will all be over with soon enough."

The butler bowed slightly to Ziggy, then made his way outside... where apparently the other ponies here were gathering around the Inner Yard for whatever announcement was to be made.  Might do well to go ahead and get there, as the good Doctor could see the Blackwaters at the side of the stage, Luther appearing to be preparing to step up and give a speech or something.

There was no telling what was to be in store next.

@@cwhip9 

Making his way to the Inner Yard, Crescent could see that the flyers did their job; it seemed like just about every pony here had answered the summons, and they were waiting for whatever was to commence here.  The crowd was thick, and conversation was polluting the air to the point where his ears were starting to feel sore.

By the stage were the Blackwaters: Luther, who seemed as if he were ready to address troops instead of miners; Vylia, pretty as a picture, with a butler by her side - and another who ran up to cover the other side, seemingly coming from the Doc's Office; Dax the young stallion, who for some reason looked sort of scowly and pouty - not his usual chipper self at all.  There was no sign of Oglevy to be seen... perhaps he was given a respite from this event?

Regardless, they all seemed to be ready for whatever was coming.

[OOC NOTE: One more post each, then on to our first 'guest cameo'!]

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Oh... Bugger.

It had started off well. Ziggy had gone over to the stage area along with al lot of other ponies starting to gather there when Beck took off. Her mind was still keeping some tab on what she'd seen with the foreponies, but considering the excitement over what might be said at this meeting along with keeping in mind a few other things - amongst those the missing pearl necklace - it wasn't something that really got up and grabbed her with Too much worry.

She might have started rationalising that it was too late to do something anyway at that point if it wasn't because she had seen Dax, and things started to go downhill really fast.

While she had been looking for him, she had hoped that when she did run into him, he wouldn't look too down or annoyed, but from what she could see here... Guilt guilt guilt.

Oooh, why couldn't she have just remembered to go there last night? Sure the explosion happened, but she miiiight have been able to make it after seeing they were okay if she had just kept her focus! Stupidhead memory...

Instead of trying to make things right then, she now had to look at Dax in a mood that she couldn't quite get the full picture off, but looked like he was having a bad time at least. She might have been able to know if she kept looking, but after a few glances she started to lower her head and ears as the guilt went through her head over knowing that she was probably the reason why he had a bad day.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis, "dang this must be bigger then I thought, how did we get so many minors" cresent thought out loud looking at the crowd. He knew it took an army just to keep up with the mine and keep it on top of other mines for competition but as he soon realized he only knew about half of the minors gathered. He found a proper spot in the middle of the crowd as best he could without being rude about it all.  

Seeing Dax on the stage was...odd to him because of all the staff at blackwater.....cresent had never even seen the pony, only herd rumors of his existence in the mine. Some saying he's just a ghost others saying he's one of the hires but doesn't want the mine. Ether way he did look blue, that or the pony just dint like crowds. Looking around cresent wouldn't blame him, half these ponys have the mine on them and everypony has a mining tool on them sharp enough to break rocks with ease. So getting this crowd angry woud be beyond a death wish, probably manic even. Or that was the paranoia kicking in for the bat pony.

He wondered then where Silver was n the crowd, he tried listining to her blood beat but there were so many around him his already annoyed ears were hang a tuff time with it.

• Brohoof 2

@@Blitz Boom

@@cwhip9

Luther stepped up to the podium on the hastily built, yet sturdy stage.  He turned his cold, hard gaze over the crowd, the scowl on his face firmly in place as he geared himself up for his apparent announcement.

He stood tall and robust - a stallion among stallions.  There had already been a few mares who had gossiped that, had he not been already married, they would have fought each other for his attentions.  He wasn't exactly representative of the classic sense of 'handsome', but he was rugged and he exuded authority like it was a natural production of his own pores.

"I am Luther Blackwater."  His voice rang out clearly, regardless of not having anything to make it louder; all the other conversations stopped.  "This is my quarry, and you are all my employees.  You work hard - I appreciate that.  But accidents keep happening.  So, I have found what might be a solution.  There will be a bid on machinery to lighten the load - you will now get a first look at it."

With this somewhat awkward ending to what was apparently his idea of a speech, he stepped down from the platform and moved back to stand beside his family.

The lights seemed to dim down and a few spotlights were turned on and pointed at the center of the stage. Music starts to play and there is some light blue smoke coming from behind some of the stage curtains. Then a booming voice can be heard. 

"Welcome mares and gentlecolts. We welcome you all to take a grand look at our breakthrough in technology". 

"And to witness the birth of a new way of working and new way of living"

The curtains were pushed aside and two unicorn colts stood there. Behind them was a large red and black painted machine on wheels with steam organs coming from some of the sides, releasing some faint blue smoke. There seemed to be grinders, a mechanical drill, even a large pickaxe that was swinging by the sides, near what seemed to be the front of the machine. On the machine was a poster that read 'Flim Flam Enterprises'.

"Now, I understand that some may not like to take up new techniques!"

"New methods!"

"Or even new ways of dealing with this dangerous natural world"

"But sometimes technology is the only option". 

*Song begins* 

*spoken separately*

"Have YOU been busting your poor flanks, trying to make ends meet?"

"Do you put in that extra effort, but only come home beat?"

"Then gather 'round and witness!"

"Be the first one on the block!"

*together*

"Take a look and see this thing we have in stooooooock..."

*They point at the machine*

"Iiiiiiiit's... theeeeee..."

"Amazing machine, Gem Extractor five thirty (5 30) 

​You will not break another single bone

Your hooves now clean, no longer dirty

​It will cut through every block of stone

"Any sort of gem it finds,

ruby, opal, tanzanite"

"Every gathered stone it grinds,

granite, phyllite, mylonite"

"Amazing machine, Gem Extractor five thirty (5 30) 

​You will not break another single bone

​It will cut through every block of stone

"But what would they do without this machine?"

"​Well, they would have to dig up those gems with their bare hoovesdear brother..."

"But isn't that dangerous?"

"​It certainly is, oh sibling of mine!  One of the most dangerous tasks Equestria has to offer!  Why, if a pony wasn't careful enough, you might..."

"Snap a hamstring, pull a tendon"

"Tell us THAT don't need some mendin'!"

"Blister flanks and bruise your knees"

"And other awful jeopardies!"

"Bust your teeth or lose your mane"

"This unsafe mining is insane!"

"Twist your hooves, break your back"

"Until you're sent home in a sack"

"But yooooou.... gooot.... thiiiiis....

Amazing machine, Gem Extractor five thirty (5 30)

You will not break another single bone

It will cut through every block of stone"

"​Amazing is it not? No more accidents!"

"Injuries!"

"Damages!"

"Working stress!"

"Soooo theeeeere iiiiis..."

"Only time to celebrate

efficiency is really great"

"This machine, it takes no breaks

all mining jobs, it undertakes"

"It grinds through granite like a dream"

"And churns out gems like butter cream!"

"It even separates them, too!"

"Let's show 'em all what it can do!"

"Amazing machine, Gem Extractor five thirty (5 30) 

You will not break another single bone

Your hooves now clean, no longer dirty

It will cut through every block of stone!"

*spoken*

"From Flim Flam Enterprises!"

*Song ends* 

The two brothers both take a bow and then look with quite calm faces over the audience. 

• Brohoof 3

@@JonasDarkmane

A number of the miners appeared skeptical at first, yet the dulcet tones of the twins seemed to charm them like snakes... well, most of them anyway.  Many of the mining crew looked ready to buy the thing themselves, to be honest - the boys hadn't lost their touch, it seemed.

But as per usual, there were still a couple of neigh-sayers in the audience.  "Hey!  This Gem-extractin'-somethin'-traction-whatever... that thing looks huge - how can THAT be safe?  What kinda safety stuff is on it?"

Another piped up.  "Yeah!  And how do we even work the thing?  I don't see no seat; can't ya sit in it?  It's big enough ta sit in, so where's the seat?  You tellin' me it ain't GOT a seat?"

And a third.  "So, we're supposed ta learn how ta work the thing, right?  And clean it too, I'll bet!  Sounds like that's gonna mean extra training, pones.  Is that gonna be PAID training?"  A few laughs rumbled through the crowd on that one.

Luther Blackwater's eyes drifted over the crowd... then returned to the two salesmen onstage.  He didn't look happy, but that was hardly an accurate gauge; he NEVER looked happy.  Still, it was the elder Blackwater they had to sell the idea to; the other ponies here were just supposed to help butter the dour quarry owner up.  Still, there was a visible spark of interest from the stallion, so they might make the sale after all... but maybe a few more words wouldn't hurt?

@@cwhip9

@@Blitz Boom

The audience went one of two ways: they either loved the new machine, or they had a million-and-one questions about it.

Crescent took note that everypony in the quarry was here... except for Knee Slapper.  And Oglevy Blackwater.  Curious.

Ziggy finally managed to catch Dax's attention, yet when he picked her out of the crowd, his scowl deepened, and he pointedly turned to look away from her. 

• Brohoof 2

@@cwhip9,

@@JonasDarkmane,

@@Randimaxis,

When the machine had first been shown, Ziggy had big lights in her eyes. Lights that did not diminish much when the singing began. Truth be told thhough, the singing is what kept her spirits high through most of the start as a lot of worries started to quickly go into her head about how safe this thing were. Especially since it was a Flim Flam machine.

She hadn't seen many of their things whilst growing up in the hospital, but the stories about how their creations sometimes went Really haywire and caused all sorts of problems had been shared a few times here and there in the halls and sick rooms, and seeing one of them herself now she could see how it could go badly herself. If everything they made were like this at least, it was bound to happen that somepony was gonna get hurt even if it wasn't the intention, and she already had a myriad of wounds in her head that might come from this.

It took her initial mood down a few notches when the singing was over and it was all she really had to focus on, and it took a further small dive when she suddenly saw Dax's eyes fall on her and his reaction showed that yes, She was the reason for his sour mood.

She would try to get a hold on him later and see if she could do something, but right now, there was other worries here to focus on as well, and she couldn't do anything with what had happened to Dax just yet as it was. She would need to try and take one worry at a time.

Clearing her throat a little first, Ziggy rose her voice to try and get heard by those up on the stage.

"Can we see it work? Y'know, to make sure it's safe."

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

@@Blitz Boom

The two brothers looked at each other amused, closing their eyes, smiling.

"Oh my oh my, they do not seem to have faith in our invention?"

"I guess we just have prove it's very effectiveness before their very eyes"

"Why, that is quite the idea. Let us throw away any shroud of doubt and replace it with trust". 

They both looked over to Luther Blackwater. 

"Dear Luther, with your permission, we would like to begin our tests with the machine immediately!"

"And prove it's effectiveness. We guarantee you that you will not be disappointed"

"Our machine will gather more gems in 5 mintues than all of your quarry workers could gather in 60!"

"That would increase the efficiency here 12 times more". 

"With Flim Flam Enterprises material at your side, you will be the king of all mines"

The brothers looked around, seeing some faces of disbelief regarding the claims they were making. They looked again at Luther, their horns glowing as the machine was wrapped in their magical sphere, ready to move it for work. 

"May we?" they politely asked, smiling. 

• Brohoof 2

@@JonasDarkmane

Luther stepped forward, the characteristic scowl still in place.  His gaze went from the brothers to the audience, and back again.  A moment's thought, then he turned to address the quarry proper.

"I require a demonstration - I will need volunteers.  Those who think you can out-do the machine, step forward." 

The crowd looked around at itself, murmurs rolling along like the tide at the beach.  Finally, from out of the gathering of ponies, Chuck List came forth from the throngs.  He stepped up to the stage and grinned at the brothers.

"Youse think ya can make a wager like dat, an' gedda way widdit?  I can chew yer tin can up fer nails!"

Chuck turned to Luther, grinning smugly.

"Gimme ten miners - we got dis, Boss."

Luther's gaze zeroed in on Chuck for a moment... then, he nodded.  Instantly, Chuck turned back to the group and put some force into his voice.

"ARRITE, YOU LUGS!  Are we gonna let dis bucket o' bolts show us up, arya?  We been at dis too long ta just get knocked tada side, right?  Nine o' yaz - dat's all I need.  C'mon, ya panzees!"

One by one, some of the strongest-looking miners stepped forward until, including Chuck, there were ten miners, all at the ready.  Chuck looked them over, then turned back to his Boss.

"Arrite, Boss, we're ready."  He threw a glance at the brothers, smiling with complete confidence.  

"Bring yer A-Game, fellas; yer gonna need it."

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis, @@JonasDarkmane, @@Blitz Boom,
Cresent sighed in annoyance, so this whole thing was a review of the minors on what the boss was going to get and not on what happened yesterday...great. A distraction...well at least till will get his mind off this idea of sabotage as he watched the events on the stage fold out.

Looking at the machine a hundred different questions id prop up in his mind and some of the minors seemed to vocalize them, mostly the thing he was wondering about was how to move the blasted thing in and around the caves along its impact on the Mines eco system. The perk of doing it how they've been is when other mines would start using the machines similar to the one before them was an draw down in employees working their. In essence job security going out the window for someponys, and the way things were looking with this sabotage idea it could be part of it, or not.

The bat pony over herd some conversation on bets being put down

"50 bits says Chuck and that crew wins that's some of our strongest minors" said one

"ya but how much do we want to see cuck loose? ill take that bet" said a 2nd minor

Cresent looked at the two betting pony shaking hoofs on the deal then he focused back to the stage. "well brothers show us what you got" he thought out loud.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

@@Blitz Boom

@@cwhip9

The brothers looked at each other, clearly amused. 

"Only 10?"

"Well, if they really want to be so easily beaten"

"--then we shall not waste their wish and see to it that--"

"--we are proven right!!". 

The magical sphere, coming from the brothers, that was wrapped around the machine, started to give more light away as the machine started to move on it's wheels. The machine moved with grace as it slid off the stage, causing most of the workers in front to have to move, so as not to get in the way of the big machine. 

"Worry not my friends--"

"--our machine is completely safe. It was designed to be used--"

"--far away from actual labor work. Considering that we're doing them a FAVOR with this device, you'd think they would be more appreciative!

"But who are we to judge their working ethics?". 

They both laughed in a slightly mocking way. The machine was positioned in front of wall down by the workings site of the mines. The brothers awaited the arrival of the other miners that were competing against them. They both took a bow. 

"Ready whenever you are--"

"--good sirs". 

They looked up smiling, then at each other with a rather lazy smile, giving the indication that they were not worried at all. 

They braced each other, as if they were planning their strategy for the mining demonstration, but were secretly whispering to one another, although not quiet enough so that Crescent and Ziggy wouldn't hear. 

"They just need a little demonstration"

"--and then we will be able to use the machine freely, as it was designed to be used!"

They broke their hug and looked at the others arriving, waving in a friendly inviting manner. 

• Brohoof 2