Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Life size plushies by BlackWater(627)

BlackWater627

(edited)

After lots of research and debate on what is "life-sized" I settled on a ballpark 36-42" hoof-to-top-of-head. After prototyping at that size, I was happy with the end 39". That's not to say other sizes are invalid, but that's my personal preference for "life-size." Anyways, here's my first plush: Twilight Sparkle. I'll be doing more in the future. Fluttershy is next on my list but, as you might imagine, it takes a while to save up enough for the materials. Doing a plush at this size with good minky is pricey:P

I'll update when I make the next one. For now, here's Twilight.  :fluttershy:

Deviantart pages (with full-size photos):

Twilight Sparkle (first one)

Twilight Sparkle - Version 2 (Current)

sig-4406811.bwmlp-plush-twilight-sm_zpsq

Edited by BlackWater627
  • Brohoof 11

• 4 weeks later...

:o One minor thing is that personally, I think the ears may be a little big, but other than that, she turned out fantastic! Great detail and well finished. :pinkie:

• 2 weeks later...

soo much cuddling!!! anyway could you put something next to it next time so we could have a reference pont because your mesurements I dont understand because I dont use that metric system

• 3 weeks later...

I made some various pattern updates and made a second version of Twilight. Some of the details included on my DA post. I'm always looking to improve and also make the hug factor better. ^_^  I'll try and post these pics in posts rather than at the top so the first post doesn't become a bandwidth monster.  :twi:

bwmlp-twi-v2-750_zpsxihecxjj.jpg

@@Kenshiro

@@PE Brony

I know what you're both saying and it'd be true if it weren't a camera thing. You'll notice how the proportion of the ears seems to change in the different photos. One has the ear taller than the horn and vise versa. The ears are not actually as big as they appear in some of the shots because my camera is getting this weird perspective thing (I'm not a photographer). In any case, I changed the way the ear is sewn against the head in the updated version above to improve on it. I can't make the ears smaller without it looking odd in real life. Maybe I'll try messing around with my camera to get some reference shots (because I do agree the ears look too big in some shots even though they are not really that size).

Wow, this looks like something Hasbro could have made!

Thanks! That means a lot to me.  ^_^

soo much cuddling!!! anyway could you put something next to it next time so we could have a reference pont because your mesurements I dont understand because I dont use that metric system

1in = 2.54cm. I understand other countries don't use the US system but it's not too hard to convert and I did use a small figurine as reference in the photos. Lots of bronies have one of those since you can get them cheap in blind bags. Anyways, lets say for the sake of conversation that the average human is 67in tall. That means the average human is about 170cm tall. Twilight here is about 122cm tall to the tip of her horn. Or you could simply say that her horn comes up to the average human's chest.  :)

I made some various pattern updates and made a second version of Twilight. Some of the details included on my DA post. I'm always looking to improve and also make the hug factor better. ^_^  I'll try and post these pics in posts rather than at the top so the first post doesn't become a bandwidth monster.  :twi:

bwmlp-twi-v2-750_zpsxihecxjj.jpg

@@Kenshiro

@@PE Brony

I know what you're both saying and it'd be true if it weren't a camera thing. You'll notice how the proportion of the ears seems to change in the different photos. One has the ear taller than the horn and vise versa. The ears are not actually as big as they appear in some of the shots because my camera is getting this weird perspective thing (I'm not a photographer). In any case, I changed the way the ear is sewn against the head in the updated version above to improve on it. I can't make the ears smaller without it looking odd in real life. Maybe I'll try messing around with my camera to get some reference shots (because I do agree the ears look too big in some shots even though they are not really that size).

Thanks! That means a lot to me.  ^_^

1in = 2.54cm. I understand other countries don't use the US system but it's not too hard to convert and I did use a small figurine as reference in the photos. Lots of bronies have one of those since you can get them cheap in blind bags. Anyways, lets say for the sake of conversation that the average human is 67in tall. That means the average human is about 170cm tall. Twilight here is about 122cm tall to the tip of her horn. Or you could simply say that her horn comes up to the average human's chest.  :)

Actually no, its better than something hasbro could have made, I was never a fan of how the official plushies look

• Brohoof 1

Actually no, its better than something hasbro could have made, I was never a fan of how the official plushies look

Awww, well thank you~  :kindness:

And yeah. I have a couple of the official plushies and I don't think they're as good as most fan-made ones. There are multiple branded varieties though and the 4DE plushies are pretty nice. But I get the feeling that was more a reaction to the superior quality of the brony plushies and they still can't beat most bronies. Probably because fans can take their time and really put their heart and soul into what they make. It's like baking. Make it with love and it's all the better.  :fluttershy:

Awww, well thank you~  :kindness:

And yeah. I have a couple of the official plushies and I don't think they're as good as most fan-made ones. There are multiple branded varieties though and the 4DE plushies are pretty nice. But I get the feeling that was more a reaction to the superior quality of the brony plushies and they still can't beat most bronies. Probably because fans can take their time and really put their heart and soul into what they make. It's like baking. Make it with love and it's all the better.  :fluttershy:

I had to look up 4DE plushes since I had never seen them before, they certainly look better than what Ive seen in asda, tesco, etc...

With that being said the fanmade ones still look better, Im gusseing your right about them putting their heart and soul into what they make

• 1 month later...

So for the plushies that are 12 in or 14 in how tall is that?

I seemed to have missed your post. Silly me. :P  Answer: about three times as tall. Remember that scaling is somewhat exponential, though.

I forgot to post this a week ago. I finished Version 3 of Twilight. The cardboard in her hooves has been replaced with foam so now there isn't any hard stuff in her. It worked well, I think. Also, I messed with the ear scale, attachment, and my camera settings. I think the ears are a little more in proportion in the new version pics. Here she is and also DA link!

bwmlp-life-twi-v3-400_zpskqrzyzey.png

Fluttershy's body is done and I'm working on her head next. I only have to save up for her pink fabric to finish her.  :squee:

• 7 years later...