Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

There should be an episode ♪Under the Sea♪

NeighingNanny

Okay, so in my intro post to the welcoming forum, I stated that I was not a Unicorn, Pegasus, Earth pony, or Alicorn. I said I was a Kelpie. 

For anyone who doesn't know, a Kelpie is a half horse and half fish. Yes, I'm talking about Sea ponies. Ugh, and I don't like that term. People don't really seem to like sea ponies and honestly, neither do I! That is why I want to make the distinct difference between the two. 

....Kelpie sounds cuter! Yeah, yeah, lame reason is lame, but also here is another point. Kelpie is the mythological name for it. So is Hippocampus, but Kelpie, again, sounds cuter. 

Kelpies also live, not only in saltwater bodies, but fresh water bodies like rivers, lakes and streams. Kelpies are not limited to the Sea like the term "Sea ponies" does.

I really hope that they plan to make an episode where some or all of the main six go into water via map... thing. I mean, they kind of have it set up where they can go under the water or into the sea.

Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks pretty much showed us that it is possible to meet these different ponies. When Adagio and the Dazzlings were shown to be Sea ponies, I thought. Cool! Wait, does that mean there is another species of PONIES?! *Excited squeel* There could be a whole other kingdom under the water that may need friendship.And whether you want to count the Equestria Girls movies, you still can't deny that would be cool.

I just don't want them to call them Seaponies. They should be called Kelpies!

• Brohoof 1

Seaponies.  Well...  The comics have something similar called Mermares and Sirens are kind of that but I don't know why Hasbro would ignore on of their most popular pony offshoots this generation.  If they brought back breezies, they can bring back sea ponies.

Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks pretty much showed us that it is possible to meet these different ponies. When Adagio and the Dazzlings were shown to be Sea ponies, I thought. Cool! Wait, does that mean there is another species of PONIES?! *Excited squeel* There could be a whole other kingdom under the water that may need friendship.And whether you want to count the Equestria Girls movies, you still can't deny that would be cool.

I just don't want them to call them Seaponies. They should be called Kelpies!

Well, to burst your bubble on that, the Sirens seem to be a different race than Seaponies: Seaponies have been shown in FIM books and comics, and they have flipper fins instead of hooves like the sirens do. Heck, when the comic staff did their original drawings and concepts of Seaponies with the same design as the sirens, they were told by hasbro to change things to be in line with G1 seaponies.

On the note of kelpie though, we actually have seen kelpie in the comics, and they function pretty much identical to the sirens, having magical singing voices to mind control others. Though, they also use two different versions of kelpie, one that looks identical to a seapony and one that looks like the rainbow rocks Hippocampus version.

(on that note, I kind of get the feel that both the show and comic staff dislike the G1 design of seaponies and try to use hippocampi designs when they can, but have to bow to hasbro when told to use G1 designs for them)

large.jpg

738593__safe_fluttershy_scootaloo_sweeti

Iä Ceto, h’meley’kor shoggornyth vulgtlagln, h’meley’kor shoggornyth shuggnog ilyaa!

It means yes … mostly. I think. Anyhow, sea would indeed be a nice place to explore. Just remember that 85% of everything happens in the deep where sun and moon (and Leo) have no authority. It’s a real party down there. And oh my Old Ones the scenery! Hydrothermal vents, cold seeps and brine pools, methane deposits, deep coral reefs, tubeworm forests, seamounts, sunken cities, hibernating aspidochelones, sea monster remains, spectacular abyssal drops,  … you have to see it to believe it!

I do mean to point out though, that the staff said "when the polar icecaps melt" in an interview as to when the seaponies would make an appearance, so unless hasbro demands it or they get a really good idea, I think the odds are against kelpies or seaponies showing up in FIM soon.

Well, to burst your bubble on that, the Sirens seem to be a different race than Seaponies: Seaponies have been shown in FIM books and comics, and they have flipper fins instead of hooves like the sirens do. Heck, when the comic staff did their original drawings and concepts of Seaponies with the same design as the sirens, they were told by hasbro to change things to be in line with G1 seaponies.

On the note of kelpie though, we actually have seen kelpie in the comics, and they function pretty much identical to the sirens, having magical singing voices to mind control others. Though, they also use two different versions of kelpie, one that looks identical to a seapony and one that looks like the rainbow rocks Hippocampus version.

(on that note, I kind of get the feel that both the show and comic staff dislike the G1 design of seaponies and try to use hippocampi designs when they can, but have to bow to hasbro when told to use G1 designs for them)

You haven't burst my bubble. I understand where you are coming from, but you should also understand why I insist of saying Kelpies instead of "seaponies". The Sirens are Kelpies/hippocampi not only because of physical form, but also because of what they do. A few legends around these creatures suggest that they lure humans to the water and drown them and eat them. This is more or less what the Dazzlings do. They lure people and ponies with their songs and feed off of their energy. 

And to be honest, I had no idea that they existed in the comics. I don't read the comics. I personally don't count them. If you do, fine, but I don't.

The original design of G1's seaponies were after seahorses, the actual animal. That was also the reason the name was "seaponies". Because the show was about ponies and not horses. I am basing my wants on the actual mythical creatures. The reason seahorses were named seahorses. (Although seahorses were also believed to be descendants of dragons, so that may not be fully true.)

And I'm not saying that the kelpies all have to be one way. I just want a good story under the water and that in a way, Hasbro set themselves up to create an underwater world. If they don't, it would be just as bad as when they introduced the seaponies of Gen1 and left it cold turkey.

(Just side note: kelpies, hippocampus, and seahorse are different names for the same thing from different cultures. I understand what you were saying, but it took me a while because it's the same thing)

Something tells me you might like this...

That does look interesting, and I would read it... except for the fact I have to pay in order to read it. And that is why I don't like the comics or any extra material and only stick to the show. The summery is very interesting though.

Something tells me you might like this...

I really question the canonicity of that picture book.

And the writers have said they have repeatedly pitched episodes about seaponies, but they have all been turned down by either the Story Editor or Hasbro. So it is unlikely we will ever see an episode about that, unless Hasbro's Toy Department decides to reintroduce seaponies, or Twilight Sparkle decides to go on a cruise with Flash Sentry, you never know...

titanic.jpg

To weigh in on under the sparkling sea: I hated that book.

Its plot is meant for 4 year olds, which I get and don't hold against it for being boring: but its ART is just terrible. Like I could at least have enjoyed the art, but its just horrible, like FIM ate g1 and vomited it back up in mane six form.

I really question the canonicity of that picture book.

And the writers have said they have repeatedly pitched episodes about seaponies, but they have all been turned down by either the Story Editor or Hasbro. So it is unlikely we will ever see an episode about that, unless Hasbro's Toy Department decides to reintroduce seaponies, or Twilight Sparkle decides to go on a cruise with Flash Sentry, you never know...

sig-4068479.titanic.jpg

Eh, it's gotten subtle references in at least one of the IDW story arcs, so it's at least canon to the IDW comics. Whether you consider *those* canon, though... (Personally, I do)

Kelpies were in one of the comics, and a good one at that(albeit, it had a really dumb ending) so there's that. Also the sirens seems to be different from kelpies. 

As for whether they'll actually appear in the show, I don't see happening anytime soon as while fans have expressed interest, I don't see a lot of desire to see them, at least compared to the earlier days of the fandom. But hey anything's possible