Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted Looking for tips for sketching (Length and width)

PROJECT: Simon

So I've been into Equestria Girl artwork drawing.. but I want to learn more about sketching. It looks so simple and easy, but teemo I was wrong xD 

I'm looking for tips on how to make arms and legs length properly and fit into the character, thank you~! ;) <3 

So, you're looking at just proportions?

Usually, the universal measurement across different styles is to use head lengths. I'm personally a little dubious about using it myself, but I can see how it would be highly useful. The head is roughly circular and makes a good shape for this, it helps ensure everything is in proportion, and allows you to measure the 'length' of limbs with a relative unit.

rvBrWSs.png 

This is my messy attempt at a visual. I'm sure there's a better representation somewhere, or could easily be made, but I have class today so I can't mess with it too heavily.  :) Anyways, by the looks of it, EQ style works with the total height being around 5 heads tall, or just a touch under. The torso, accounts for just over 1 head length of that, the first leg length is about 1 head, and the next (knee to foot) is about 1.5 head lengths. Meanwhile, the width of the head seems like a good measurement of the width of the body when standing straight. It's a common stylistic point (in superheroes, iconically) to proportionally favor the legs in females, and the torsos in males, so this style as a whole is dramatically feminized.

Anyways, a few other markers. Weird lengths aside, there's a few really key markers that I find really useful to keep in mind since they also exist here: 

1.) The elbow is approximately lines up with the gap between the ribcage and pelvis. This is also very likely true for your own body.

2.) The wrist lines up with the end of your hips.

3.) The length from chin to shoulder is almost negligible, but there; in RL it's about 1/3 a head length, but this is a solid deviation.

You could probably go on to find a few other markers and such.  :) But, beyond that, you're likely looking at getting down the 'look' of the limbs, lineart, and shape in general.

• Brohoof 1

So, you're looking at just proportions?

Usually, the universal measurement across different styles is to use head lengths. I'm personally a little dubious about using it myself, but I can see how it would be highly useful. The head is roughly circular and makes a good shape for this, it helps ensure everything is in proportion, and allows you to measure the 'length' of limbs with a relative unit.

rvBrWSs.png

This is my messy attempt at a visual. I'm sure there's a better representation somewhere, or could easily be made, but I have class today so I can't mess with it too heavily.  :) Anyways, by the looks of it, EQ style works with the total height being around 5 heads tall, or just a touch under. The torso, accounts for just over 1 head length of that, the first leg length is about 1 head, and the next (knee to foot) is about 1.5 head lengths. Meanwhile, the width of the head seems like a good measurement of the width of the body when standing straight. It's a common stylistic point (in superheroes, iconically) to proportionally favor the legs in females, and the torsos in males, so this style as a whole is dramatically feminized.

Anyways, a few other markers. Weird lengths aside, there's a few really key markers that I find really useful to keep in mind since they also exist here: 

1.) The elbow is approximately lines up with the gap between the ribcage and pelvis. This is also very likely true for your own body.

2.) The wrist lines up with the end of your hips.

3.) The length from chin to shoulder is almost negligible, but there; in RL it's about 1/3 a head length, but this is a solid deviation.

You could probably go on to find a few other markers and such.  :) But, beyond that, you're likely looking at getting down the 'look' of the limbs, lineart, and shape in general.

Thank you so much for replying and taking your time to explain this, I got more ideas and knowledge about it, thank you  <3 

• Brohoof 1