Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[SPOILER] Noticed something about Shining Armor's cutie mark...

Akemi Homura

... His cutie mark is eerily similar to Twilight's.

Posted Image

IMO, Shining Armor's cutie mark represents his duty to his sister, and to always protect her. The reference being her signature six-star cutie mark enclosed within a shield and this shield also represents the sense of duty he upholds to defending Canterlot. The three gray stars at the top represent a high rank; as if he is a natural-born leader, thus his uncanny position of Captain of the Royal Guards.

What's your take?

• Brohoof 26

Posted Image

IMO, Shining Armor's cutie mark represents his duty to his sister, and to always protect her. The reference being her signature six-star cutie mark enclosed within a shield and this shield also represents the sense of duty he upholds to defending Canterlot. The three gray stars at the top represent a high rank; as if he is a natural-born leader, thus his uncanny position of Captain of the Royal Guards.

What's your take?

Well, they ARE related :P.
  • Brohoof 2

Well, they ARE related :P.

That doesn't really explain the eerie resemblance, though...

Shining Armor's cutie mark contains a bit of Twilight's cutie mark, AKA the Element of Magic. Celestia only knows how this is possible especially considering that he probably received it even before Twilight received her own CM.

Yep I noticed that too. But then again, I assume he got his cutie mark first so his duty to protect Twilight came from the basic older brother-younger sister dynamic assuming Twilight was already born when he got his cutie mark.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 2

Posted Image

What's your take?

Since he made a huge magical barrier around Canterlot, I had assumed his special talent was defensive/protective magic.

Edited by bloodyfox
  • Brohoof 3

Since he made a huge magical barrier around Canterlot, I had assumed his special talent was defensive/protective magic.

The forcefield is the same as the type Twilight uses in the MMmystery on the Friendship Express and Ponyville Confidential, albeit like 5000x the size

Apparently the strength also decreases as the user's magic power decreases, but that is kinda an obvious one

Also OP is dead right

Edited by Whiteshade
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

And Twilight has some potent offensive magic. She would be my go-to guy (or girl) in Fighting is Magic.

Hey, now that I've mentioned it, they should totes add Shining Armor into Fighting is Magic -- his defense would stifle the competition.

Edited by Devin Dash McCourty
  • Brohoof 3

Flim and Flam sort of share their cutey mark. One had an apple with a wedge out, and the other has the wedge.

(forget which one is which!)

Granny Smith, Big Mack, and Applejack all have tightly related cutey marks as well.

• Brohoof 1

I noticed.

I got an "aha", but as i see it, Twilight is more powerful(potentially - the extra backstar and surrounding stars), while Shining is a born Knight.

The main star is a family trait, or possibly a recognition of great magic.

That doesn't really explain the eerie resemblance, though...

Shining Armor's cutie mark contains a bit of Twilight's cutie mark, AKA the Element of Magic. Celestia only knows how this is possible especially considering that he probably received it even before Twilight received her own CM.

I dunno, Applejack family's cutie marks are all apple related, Twilight is magic related, it runs in the family!

And Twilight has some potent offensive magic. She would be my go-to guy (or girl) in Fighting is Magic.

Hey, now that I've mentioned it, they should totes add Shining Armor into Fighting is Magic -- his defense would stifle the competition.

So you noticed too!

And I agree, they should bring him into Fighting is Magic.

I wonder what his theme would sound like..

Flim and Flam sort of share their cutey mark. One had an apple with a wedge out, and the other has the wedge.

(forget which one is which!)

Granny Smith, Big Mack, and Applejack all have tightly related cutey marks as well.

Nice catch.

The cutie marks seems to be influenceb by the "special talents" the "destiny" (that what Rarity said) and by the family as well.

You could have talk about the orange family, or Mr and Ms Cake.

But maybe the families are sharing the same cutie marks because of their culture, like the apple family, or because of their resemblance which bring them to become a family, as it was probably the case for mr and ms cake.

For the mark of Twilight and her brother the "traslation" with offensive/defensive magic is perfect. But this common point probanly came from the fact that magic power comes from the bloodline. The three princesses are sisters (at least for Luna and Celestia) and they both have incredible powers.

So the common point come from their "family" ( their blood to be more precise), which leads them to a quite similar "special talent", which guide them to what they will do, their "destiny".

Which leads us to another question, which of those 3 elements influence the most, or is this a combinaison of them, or does it only depend of the case?

Posted Image

I actually never noticed his cutie mark throughout the entire episode, I did however see that on his chest-buckle-thing and just related it them being related. I like your representation of him protecting his younger sister.

Posted Image

What's your take?

The magic is the only similarity and it does make sense, he can cast a HUGE shield spell (and the only one to do so) and I noticed, the only "weapons" are spears and magic bolts (like twi was using) so maybe his magic bolts are more concentrated and pack more of a punch?