Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Luna Wallpaper

3k932jd22328jdsf

Im sure by now many of you (including a moderator) have thought, who is that A**hole Emerald Meteor who comes to the art section of the forum and points out all of the mistakes in every pony else's art. Im a graphic designer and I know what I am talking about most of the pony art on here is bad in my arrogant opinion. I decided to show off a little today by making a wallpaper for my favorite princess all with vectors (lost count at least 100 layers near the end illustrator was lagging) in illustrator in other words no photoshop wasn't involved in making this wallpaper it is all illustrator and indesign for type because only scrubs use illustrator for type.

Wallpaper for the Galaxy S6 edge plus with an actual screenshot of the wallpaper on my phone

download the wallpaper off my deviant art

http://emeraldmeteor.deviantart.com/art/Psx-20160218-080602-591588229?ga_submit_new=10%253A1455812469

Here is the 4K UHD version of the wallpaper for desktops

Download off my deviant art

http://emeraldmeteor.deviantart.com/art/Psx-20160218-105113-591613601

post-36088-0-56424800-1455747624_thumb.jpg

post-36088-0-20153500-1455812061_thumb.jpg

post-36088-0-30226200-1455812180_thumb.png

post-36088-0-87108700-1455822295_thumb.jpg

post-36088-0-45714500-1455822486_thumb.png

Edited by Emerald Meteor
  • Brohoof 3

Honestly I like a decent bit of the art here on the forum; though, it seems like most people here are more interested in the joy of making art, rather than showing off something professional.  ;) Makes the community fun that way, haha.

Regardless, this is a pretty interesting piece. I like that it tells a bit of a story, or attempts a "peak" into Luna's pivotal fall. Props for doing it in Illustrator, too; I've always found it a little more cumbersome than PS for doing larger pieces or textures/effects, but it generally winds up looking a lot cleaner (that and it scales amazingly well, unlike PS).

• Brohoof 1

Honestly I like a decent bit of the art here on the forum; though, it seems like most people here are more interested in the joy of making art, rather than showing off something professional.  ;) Makes the community fun that way, haha.

Regardless, this is a pretty interesting piece. I like that it tells a bit of a story, or attempts a "peak" into Luna's pivotal fall. Props for doing it in Illustrator, too; I've always found it a little more cumbersome than PS for doing larger pieces or textures/effects, but it generally winds up looking a lot cleaner (that and it scales amazingly well, unlike PS).

I'm not showing off professionally. I keep my other stuff separate from my pony art because, it doesnt really matter how good it is if its art of my little pony it will only hurt your professional portfolio. I got bored so I made it for fun.

@@Emerald Meteor, oh yeah, I totally get it.  :) I was more referring to the "most of the pony art on here is bad" bit, not suggesting you were flaunting your own.  :lol:

Also, I think you could totally spin pony art into being presentable in a more professional setting, depending on where you go of course.  :grin2: Especially if you make money off of it or demonstrate a high level of skill.

If I did it in photoshop I would be forced to use interpolation to resize for different devices like iPhones and larger computer monitors and as a result the image quality would go down. You can make things photorealistic without using photoshop. For example the water ripples and tears were made by first making a circle then overlaying a triangle, using patherfinder unite giving it a linear gradient and using the ripple effect and expanding it so the effect in illustrator can be resized like a vector, and finally lowering the opacity then just cloning and resizing for the other tears. The ripples are circles with a white light blue to transparent as a radial gradient and shortening them into elipses to give it perspective, giving it the same effect as on the tears and expanding that too and thats basically how I made the puddle tear splash without photoshop.

@@Emerald Meteor, interesting stuff, and I'll definitely agree that if you know how to use Illustrator well, you can accomplish a lot.  :) Though personally, I've mostly experienced the quality drop you mentioned when trying to scale upwards--scaling down from an image 2x or 3x the size doesn't seem to lose any quality, and you still get to keep a messier, more paint-like style.  ;) Plus, I never really figured out an easy way to do light and shadow effects in Illustrator. Though it's awesome you found the interesting effect you mentioned above. I honestly wouldn't have thought of doing what you described, and was kinda curious as to how you did the tears/water effect.  :grin2: