Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Overpowered Unicorns?

hollow-shades

So, does anyone think that Unicorns are a bit OP compared to the other Species?

Starlight Glimmer is a good example of OP Unicorns.

I think they are, mostly because the main protagonist of the show was a Unicorn, so Unicorns were tought out more than Pegasi or Earth.

Its not so much that unicorns are OP as the other races are UP.

Starlight is written pretty poorly with unexplained OP plot armor god moding her up, so she's a bit of an outlier: But even disregarding her, Earth pony's magic is pretty lackluster compared to their unicorn brethren: even fashionistas like Rarity seem to be far better off than earth ponies.

I mean, just look at Return of harmony; Discord handicapped the unicorns and the pegasi, but didn't have to take anything from the earth ponies because they really had NOTHING.

• Brohoof 1

Its not so much that unicorns are OP as the other races are UP.

Unicorns would be overpowered by comparison. They can even cast flight spells, or at least levitate themselves or cast cloud-walking spells; I doubt the other two can try to imitate spellcasting.

If a pegasus flies at a unicorn, the unicorn can just use magic to stop the pegasus. Earth ponies do seem to be the most underpowered since they aren't shown to have any ability that unicorns and pegasi lack, though apparently Tirek can drain whatever "magic" they have.

Unicorns are supposed to have spells that mainly pertain to their cutie mark/special purpose. Though it seems that most of them also have a basic set of "default unicorn magic."

They may have the most glamorous magic, but the earth ponies certainly have their own special abilities. They're stronger, and are the only ponies that can grow food. It may not be flashy, but it's necessary to sustain life.

I think earth ponies are less the poor, helpless ponies, and more of the underdog, "dark horse" pony race, who seems plain but has a LOT more potential than they seem to. :)

(edited)

Their not really overpowered. I mean logically they would be the strongest race. That's like saying a guy with a gun is OP because he can kill animals.

Not to say I agree with killing animals, just an example.

Edited by geartree

Their not really overpowered. I mean logically they would be the strongest race. That's like saying a guy with a gun is OP because he can kill animals.

Not to say I agree with killing animals, just an example.

The thing is that a gun can only shoot, but unicorn magic can levitate, teleport, etc.

Power takes many forms. Its not just about how well one could fare in physical fight, it's about having influence and getting what you want. The sole ability to grow food and control the weather are both extremely powerful positions that the Earth ponies and Unicorns hold. In contrast the Unicorns are actually not as integral to Equestrian society since their original role(raising the sun and the moon) have been taken over by the regal sisters(in fact just one of them for most of the country's history).

Power isn't just the ability to destroy or suppress with force. Power is also about creating and improving. Look at all the powerful unicorns we've seen in the show: Twilight Sparkle, Shining Armor, Trixie Lulamoon, Starswirl the Bearded, Sunset Shimmer and most recently Starlight Glimmer. What do any of these ponies actually contribute to the everyday life of their society? Most only studied magic for the sake of learning magic.

Sure Twilight Sparkle has saved Equestria, but she required the help of two Earth ponies and Pegasi to do so.

Yes Starswirl banished the Sirens but he also created a time spell that almost destroyed Equestria thanks to another Unicorn.

Shining Armor did do an impressive job at maintaining a shield around Canterlot. Well, that is until we remember that he was easily fooled by Queen Chrysalis' poor acting and succumbed to her brainwashing, magic notwithstanding.

If all Pegasi were as fast as Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts or if all Earth Ponies were as strong and unpredictable as Big Macintosh and Pinkie Pie people might claim they were OP as well. We really haven't seen any true OP non-unicorn villains(and I mean VILLAINS, Lightning Dust doesn't count) so it's hard to gauge the kind of threat a truly powerful(in whatever sense of the word you want to use) Earth pony or Pegasi could do and the threat they could pose.

While all Unicorns have magic, most aren't as proficient as the main characters we've seen. Things like high powered projectile spells, teleportation and self-levetation are not the norm, they're the exception. It's also worth noting that unicorns are statistically much less common than the other two types of ponies. So they're outnumbered as well. When you take into consideration the physical advantages of strength and speed that the other ponies have over Unicorns, the numbers and the importance of their contributions I think it tends to even out.